It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
sorry, I think I just stuttered

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I just emailed my Senators and my House Rep telling them to oppose these measures. I urge everyone with my point of view
to do the same.

I've expected this to happen, time to FIGHT!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
OK, now that we've all let off a little steam about this AWB, How many of you would really stand up and defend your right to keep and bare arm's. Are you people really worried about becoming a criminal at the stroke of a pen ?. I sit back and read the texts, carefully think about them and don't do anything that will grab the attention of the federal authorities. [who, by the way read this site and know with IP address's who's someone to keep an eye on] I, too, am frustrated at the way our government operates. I, too, share the same feelings you guys do but remember, the FedGov has a big surprise coming when they feel it's time to register and confiscate. This will get very interesting in the near future, let's see what happens first. MM

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WISHADOW
Gun dealers need to stop selling guns to Mexico. If you would just stop selling guns to Mexico to make a buck this wouldn't be in effect. And to all those assault gun owners out there your just wasting money on impressing your friends. Your not protecting this country with your assault gun. I doubt you ever will. You'll never put your life on line for freedom. Oh wait. You are online. Yeah. Good job defenders of America! Good Job! Doesn't Glen Beck or Bill O'Reilly have forums were you can go worship in the market they placed you in? Patriots. Trigger shy at best. Another sad day.

Cough...

April 23, 2008
ABC News Found Lying about Guns...Again
Rick Moran
Bob Owens of Confederate Yankee has another case of agenda-driven media coverage. This time, it's ABC's Brian Ross and a story they did about Mexican drug gangs getting a hold of American firearms at gun shows and other venues that are perfectly legal but that Ross and ABC see fit to "prove" what a bad thing the Second Amendment is:

U.S. gun stores and gun shows are the source of more than 90 percent of the weapons being used by Mexico's ruthless drug cartels, according to U.S. and Mexican law enforcement officials.

"It's a war going on in Mexico, and these types of firearms are the weapons of war for them," said Bill Newell, the special agent in charge of the Phoenix field division of the ATF, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which has primary law enforcement jurisdiction for investigating gun trafficking to Mexico.

Owens takes aim at some of the falsehoods in the story and hits the bullseye:

ABC News falsified the following information:

* that "Assault weapons made in China and Eastern Europe, resembling the AK-47, have become widely and cheaply available" as a result of the expiration of the 1994 Crime Bill. These firearms were available before 1994, were legally imported, legally sold, and legally owned (with only cosmetic changes and ready availability) during the ten-year life of the bill.
* that "the Bush administration refused to extend a ban on such weapons in 2004." There was never a functioning "ban" on such weapons (see bullet point above), and President Bush had clearly indicated that he wold have sign such a bill if it had come to his desk.
* that a Belgian-made pistol, the FN Five-seveN (their punctuation, not mine) is "cop-killer" that "can fire a high-powered round used in a rifle." The pistol uses a personal defense pistol-class cartridge designed for submachine guns, PDWs, and pistols, NOT a rifle cartridge bu any stretch. The cartridge, the 5.7x28mm, is no more armor piercing than many common pistol cartridges, and is only truly armor piercing when using specific bullets restricted by the ATF to police and military sales. NOTE: The ATF agent is to blame for at least part of this point, but Ross and ABC News apparently made no attempt to verify the erroneous information they'd been told.

ABC News grossly exaggerated the story by displaying misleading photos, including the following:

* In a story presumably about civilian firearms being used by Mexican drug cartels, the opening photo showed a military machine gun (M60) unavailable for civilian purchase.
* In another photo accompanying the story, they displayed machine guns, grenade launchers, and approximately 20 40mm grenades, weaponry than cannot be owned by U.S. civilians. I'd speculate that like the M60, these weapons were likely sold by the Mexican military to the cartels.

This is embarrassing. So many errors are either a sign of laziness or stupidity. In ABC's case, there is also, as Bob points out, the question of their anti-Second Amendment agenda driving the story.

We all breathlessly await ABC's corrections to the story that I'm sure will be forthcoming - not.

www.americanthinker.com...

And worse yesterday's BS...
abcnews.go.com...

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said.

OK, What US gun store is selling AUTOMATIC weapons and GRENADES??

BS excuses with exaggerated data.

And as for defending our county... About 25 million veterans who own rifles HAVE already defended our country.... how about you?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The assault weapons will just flow into Mexico from Central and South America. Most will be the cheap AK line which sell for $100 in this country and governments like Russia and China send over by the boat loads to any country that will unload them. They are the preferred weapon of most criminal organizations and freedom fighter alike. Obama is just using Mexico as he has everything else, to try and instill fear in otherwise ignorant Americans. Just as he said the infamous stimulus bill "had to be done or it will be catastrophic". Meanwhile the people of America will see who's policies will be catastrophic to the country. I still don't doubt he plans on crashing the US as we now know it for the NWO conspirators, but we will see...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
its all these anti gun people on here that made me decide if i ever happen across a person being mugged, robbed, killed etc i will NOT help them with my weapon. may you fantasy land dwellers never need a scary gun to protect your lives. And when you move out of your moms basement and reality slaps you right in your mouth dont come crying to us.

nowthen. watch this video and wonder what would happen if this home owner was banned from owning a gun. do you think these CRIMINALS would have spared his life? BTW it was reported that these 4 thugs were in fact part of a drug cartel FROM MEXICO. What on EARTH makes people think a gun ban would affect these gangbangers AT ALL.
Do people really think these guys are saying, "hey, these guns we stole are illegal to own, maybe we shouldnt be cruising around in a stolen car, invading homes and shooting people, we better turn around and go to church" ??????

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 26-2-2009 by turbokid]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

Originally posted by WISHADOW
Gun dealers need to stop selling guns to Mexico. If you would just stop selling guns to Mexico to make a buck this wouldn't be in effect. And to all those assault gun owners out there your just wasting money on impressing your friends. Your not protecting this country with your assault gun. I doubt you ever will. You'll never put your life on line for freedom. Oh wait. You are online. Yeah. Good job defenders of America! Good Job! Doesn't Glen Beck or Bill O'Reilly have forums were you can go worship in the market they placed you in? Patriots. Trigger shy at best. Another sad day.

Cough...

April 23, 2008
ABC News Found Lying about Guns...Again
Rick Moran
Bob Owens of Confederate Yankee has another case of agenda-driven media coverage. This time, it's ABC's Brian Ross and a story they did about Mexican drug gangs getting a hold of American firearms at gun shows and other venues that are perfectly legal but that Ross and ABC see fit to "prove" what a bad thing the Second Amendment is:

U.S. gun stores and gun shows are the source of more than 90 percent of the weapons being used by Mexico's ruthless drug cartels, according to U.S. and Mexican law enforcement officials.

"It's a war going on in Mexico, and these types of firearms are the weapons of war for them," said Bill Newell, the special agent in charge of the Phoenix field division of the ATF, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which has primary law enforcement jurisdiction for investigating gun trafficking to Mexico.

Owens takes aim at some of the falsehoods in the story and hits the bullseye:

ABC News falsified the following information:

* that "Assault weapons made in China and Eastern Europe, resembling the AK-47, have become widely and cheaply available" as a result of the expiration of the 1994 Crime Bill. These firearms were available before 1994, were legally imported, legally sold, and legally owned (with only cosmetic changes and ready availability) during the ten-year life of the bill.
* that "the Bush administration refused to extend a ban on such weapons in 2004." There was never a functioning "ban" on such weapons (see bullet point above), and President Bush had clearly indicated that he wold have sign such a bill if it had come to his desk.
* that a Belgian-made pistol, the FN Five-seveN (their punctuation, not mine) is "cop-killer" that "can fire a high-powered round used in a rifle." The pistol uses a personal defense pistol-class cartridge designed for submachine guns, PDWs, and pistols, NOT a rifle cartridge bu any stretch. The cartridge, the 5.7x28mm, is no more armor piercing than many common pistol cartridges, and is only truly armor piercing when using specific bullets restricted by the ATF to police and military sales. NOTE: The ATF agent is to blame for at least part of this point, but Ross and ABC News apparently made no attempt to verify the erroneous information they'd been told.

ABC News grossly exaggerated the story by displaying misleading photos, including the following:

* In a story presumably about civilian firearms being used by Mexican drug cartels, the opening photo showed a military machine gun (M60) unavailable for civilian purchase.
* In another photo accompanying the story, they displayed machine guns, grenade launchers, and approximately 20 40mm grenades, weaponry than cannot be owned by U.S. civilians. I'd speculate that like the M60, these weapons were likely sold by the Mexican military to the cartels.

This is embarrassing. So many errors are either a sign of laziness or stupidity. In ABC's case, there is also, as Bob points out, the question of their anti-Second Amendment agenda driving the story.

We all breathlessly await ABC's corrections to the story that I'm sure will be forthcoming - not.

www.americanthinker.com...

And worse yesterday's BS...
abcnews.go.com...

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said.

OK, What US gun store is selling AUTOMATIC weapons and GRENADES??

BS excuses with exaggerated data.

And as for defending our county... About 25 million veterans who own rifles HAVE already defended our country.... how about you?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by infolurker]

reply to post by infolurker

Ok. I apologize to all the gun stores out there? it just goes to show what 25 million verterans that are authorized to carry assault weapons will do to support their personal habits and stick it to their country. Way to go I bet you took care of your habit and made tons of money by now. Hell you probably can buy a milita with that kind of money and stake your claim in Texas.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
THEY OUTLAWED BOOZE, THE GUN FIRE STARTED.

THE LEGALIZED BOOZE, THE GUN FIRED STOPPED, THEN THEY OUTLAWED CERTAIN GUNS, BECAUSE OF SO MUCH KILLING BY CROOKS, KILLING OTHER COOKS.

NOW THE SAME WITH DRUGS. BAN THE GUN, LEGALIZE THE DRUGS, AND THE GUN FIRE WILL STOP, BUT YOUR GUNS ARE GONE.

PROBLEM SOLVED! ;-)

TYPICAL INBRED IDEAS.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
isn't it the federal government that has the m 16's. thats where they're coming from.
i've said it rime and time again.
the fed gov did not respond to texas' cry for help because to help the american union,they will send troops into mexico. they will thwen use this as an excuse to chop our rights.

I WANNA SEE 'EM BRING IT ON. THATS THE ONLY WAY TO GET RID OF THIS ADMINISTRATION

TREASON TREASON TREASON. AND IF SOMEONR=E WHO HAD A GUN GETS KILLED...HIGH TREASON.

c'mon texas, secede. we don't need this crap. we can make it on our own.
i don't wanna die defending the constitution,BUT I WILL.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Spectre0o0]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Son Of Liberty

It would seem you dont read the news, or you would know Mexico is on the brink of being declared a failed state.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
heh I guess I'm the only one who thinks otherwise on this board, which scares me, I just can't understand the obsession with guns in the United States. Most of you will reply to this post in the following way: Its for our own security, self defense and so on.... Now if there were no guns allowed like in any other developed country, you wouldn't have the need for self defense and you wouldn't have to be afraid of your neighbour. Rather try to use your body for self defense, there are several ways to go about this, and its all you need.
Ban those assault weapons, only allow small and harmless pistols which are only allowed to be obtained with a "hard to get" license. Now at this point you will see crimes going down drastically, you wouldn't have to worry about someone pointing a gun at your head, plus its bad karma owning a gun and using one here and there.

Although the reason for the ban is more than lame. The reasons I stated above make more sense.

I can not disagree with you more I will try to be logical and polite, First small and harmless pistols? get shot with one and tell me there harmless totally illogical. Second no guns allowed means no guns right just like no drugs allowed means I can't go to the nearest gas station and score, come on man are you serious? You need to learn history. The essence of the 2nd amendment is about not letting the government get to powerful because it will happen, like I said learn some history.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

You all have valid points there, although I start with another question, would you pull the trigger and take a human life, no matter how much in danger you are? Its easy to say yes, but would you? I wouldn't, I couldn't, even if my own life was at stake.

I'm well aware that criminals will find several ways in obtaining guns illegally, and already do, that's everywhere the case, that won't stop even with a complete ban, absolutely right! I live in Germany and I never had the need for a gun before, although I was attacked by a knife ones, but thanks to martial arts I was able to defend my self with my own hands. I'm quite proud to have never touched a real gun and I want it to stay that way. We should act as a model of peace and not as a person who is owning a weapon of great destructive power. Its like saying we don't want all those nukes, but if others have them we need to have them too. Be the first one to put your gun in the trash can, and maybe others will do the same, deliver a message of peace and not of fear.

You can't ninja your way around someone shooting at you.

A gun ban would only work if every gun in existence was destroyed and the knowledge to build them was forgotten. Otherwise all you do is take them away from people trying to defend themselves.

I will bet if you did a study of "gun crimes" in the U.S. you would find that the overwhelming majority of offenders did not get their weapons from a store, or took the time for any checks, but rather picked something up off the street.

Gun Bans do not work.

Once the police, military, and criminals put theirs down i will as well. Until then i will be ready to defend myself.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Toolbox

(note that fully auto rifles are illegal in the US

Actually, you pay your NFA tax and register it, and you too can rock and roll your very own full auto

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Then all cars would have to be banned.

An automobile is one of the most deadly weapons on the planet.

Cars don't kill people. Woman drivers kill people.

But seriously. Just so others know, up to this point, I totally supported Obama. Let me just say that right now I feel about as stupid as a Bush supporter circa July 2008. I see the B.S. now.

I don't support Obama anymore because he is OBVIOUSLY a puppet. I honestly say, his stance on banning guns is as stupid as banning abortions or banning gay marriage.

Banning something takes away the RIGHT of Americans to CHOOSE for themselves.

Now I'm a man without a party. I'm no longer democrat, I will never be republican. Can we start a new political party that promises to not ban anything (except banning itself)? Whose with me?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Cars don't kill people. Woman drivers kill people.

Not yet I haven't. I hear there is a points system depending on who I run over though.

Now I'm a man without a party. I'm no longer democrat, I will never be republican. Can we start a new political party that promises to not ban anything (except banning itself)? Whose with me?

I've technically been without a party for a few years now. I'm too conservative for the Democrats and too liberal for the Republicans. Too bad there isn't a third party that stands a chance of winning an election. Now that might actually create some change for the better.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
reply to post by runetang

There are no true AK's that shoot .225's as far as I know...maybe you're talking about the israeli golani galil? it looks alot like an AK and has similar action, but shoots .223's. No AK or variant is going to shoot nato rounds as far as I know.

Yes it is true indeed. The Eastern European countries that belong to Nato, such as Bulgaria, Romania, etc, make .223 nato variants of the AK-47. Here is a link to exactly what I'm talking about:

www.parts4ak47.com...

why do they sell .223 clips for AK-47 if they dont exist? Notice that it says "Bulgarian Military" in description?

here is an AK-74 with .223:

www.gunsamerica.com...

here's a polish made AK that fires .223:

www.gunsamerica.com...

here's another .223 AK-47:

www.gunsamerica.com...

and just for good measure to get my point across, heres a Romanian built AK-47 that fires .223:

www.gunsamerica.com...

so, i think that settles this one, .223 nato AK-47's are not only widely available but they're usually inexpensive, coming from Eastern Europe.

speaking of MEXICO..

I'd love to get my hands on one of those H&K G36's that the Mexican military has started using. They renamed them "Fire Serpent" in Spanish or something like that, but its essentially a G36 like the Germans & Spainiards use in their military forces. I want one, and hopefully I will be able to purchase one. I just want a semi-auto, I don't need full-auto. I hope it doesn't get banned from sale simply because it is a rifle. I mean .. it is pure sex for a gun, just look at this beautiful work of art:

www.gunsamerica.com...

[edit on 2/26/2009 by runetang]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Personally, I'm more into the fun guns like BBs and paintball guns.

I honestly wish we wouldn't ever have to resort to firearms to solve problems. That's being ideal, I know. But, it is the society I would like to see in the future.

But, in the right situation, I would much rather have killed a person, than have a murderer continue on a killing spree on innocent people.

A man should be able to own a gun if he wants, to protect himself. Or, to hunt with.

I don't know that I will ever carry a gun. I'm never in the situation where I need one to defend myself. Trouble seems to find some other people more than I. Crazy stuff happens, but the world as a whole hasn't gotten to the point where I have really seriously put a lot of thought into owning a gun for protection.

But, I say a man should be able to have his guns, if he wants them for reasons other than murder and destruction. If he's being responsible with his guns, it's really none of my business.

Troy

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RE2505

"assault weapons" can be used in hunting, an AR-15 can be used for varmint hunting, or in another caliber [7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .50 beowulf, etc.] can be used for any large game hunting...banning them will not lower crime...when was the last time you saw a gangster using an expensive rifle? Most likely they stole some cheap gun off the streets. The previous AW ban did little to nothing to stop crime

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I find it absolutely amazing in the most absurd of manners that Mexico manages to actually have the nerve, to even insinuate blame towards America as the Responsible party behind the Escalation of Violence within that Nation. If ANYTHING, Mexico should worry about how they freely allow for their Cartels to Invade United States Sovereign Territory, Routinely Kidnap Americans, and Off load MASSIVE Drug Shipments for Distribution ALL OVER AMERICA!

Mexico is such a Rotten, Dirty, Despicable Nation, that it appears somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of their Very Own Citizenry now resides within the United States.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

You all have valid points there, although I start with another question, would you pull the trigger and take a human life, no matter how much in danger you are? Its easy to say yes, but would you? I wouldn't, I couldn't, even if my own life was at stake.

I'm well aware that criminals will find several ways in obtaining guns illegally, and already do, that's everywhere the case, that won't stop even with a complete ban, absolutely right! I live in Germany and I never had the need for a gun before, although I was attacked by a knife ones, but thanks to martial arts I was able to defend my self with my own hands. I'm quite proud to have never touched a real gun and I want it to stay that way. We should act as a model of peace and not as a person who is owning a weapon of great destructive power. Its like saying we don't want all those nukes, but if others have them we need to have them too. Be the first one to put your gun in the trash can, and maybe others will do the same, deliver a message of peace and not of fear.

Yes I would and I really believe you would to it is natural to stay alive, I too have been in a few life or death sitautions I mean not just scared I truly believed it was over and for me lower animal instict take over stay alive thinking kicked in ( maybe I'm just weak) As for this martial arts you keep talking about come on man every body ain't a young healthy male what about grandma? Also like I said in my last post the 2nd amendment is not about protecting yourself from your neighbors it is about protecting yourself from the government, learn history. The government will take absolute power in time if the people allow it.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join