It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

And by 'standing up for your rights' you mean: shoot whoever thinks otherwise in the face with an automatic weapon?

I'm glad I moved to Europe, over here the Dark Ages are a thing of the past

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolbox

I agree. I'm glad you moved to Europe as well. It suits you.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
A couple of buddies and I were talking about what would stop a group like the NRA from creating and forming militias. That is our second admendment right. Why couldn't the NRA or any other group create a militia in local district and wouldn't all firearms available to law enforcement and the military be available to the militias with out restriction, such as class 3 firearms. Is that the ace in the whole as a last resort for gun owners or are my buddies and I missing something.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfoot1212

There's a difference between abolishing the constitution and adapting it so the world will be a safer place. Maybe in your eyes more guns = safer world. Not in mine...

But hey what do I know, buy your damn guns

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

What's that supposed to mean? I don't mind having a discussion, even if it is a heated one, but you don't hear me attacking you personally do you?

Anyways, it was a pleasure talking to you.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolbox

It was no more a cheap shot than you're 'Dark Ages' comment. Again, I'm glad that you live in such a 'civilized' place.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I just don't understand why you need guns to protect your freedom. And how is having the right to buy assault rifles part of 'being free'. I'm not allowed to buy a lion and take him for walks in downtown Los Angeles. I still feel free, though I really want the lion.

And I didn't mean the Dark Ages comment to sound cocky. But from my point of view it just seems so barbaric (don't take it personally, i don't know any other word to describe it).

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolbox

I understand your POV. But 2 million violents crimes each year are avoided by the intervention of firearms. Every state that has enacted CCP laws have seeen a decrease in violent crimes. Also, I use a pair of AR15 on my ranch to fend off pack dogs, coyoties, and occasional wolf from attacking my livestock. I like them because they are light, pretty accurate at a couple hundred yards and because of the high capacity. Because of the numbers and distance a shotgun or hunting rifle is not an option.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just in interject a little common sense, EVERY STATE that has a concealed carry law has shown a massive decrease in handgun violence. Every one. No exceptions.
Kinda hard to dispute facts.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The righr to carry firearms is just another 'check' to the balance of our representative republic, to inhibit the very thing that is happening now.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Originally posted by Clairaudience
You all have valid points there, although I start with another question, would you pull the trigger and take a human life, no matter how much in danger you are? Its easy to say yes, but would you? I wouldn't, I couldn't, even if my own life was at stake.

I'm well aware that criminals will find several ways in obtaining guns illegally, and already do, that's everywhere the case, that won't stop even with a complete ban, absolutely right! I live in Germany and I never had the need for a gun before, although I was attacked by a knife ones, but thanks to martial arts I was able to defend my self with my own hands. I'm quite proud to have never touched a real gun and I want it to stay that way. We should act as a model of peace and not as a person who is owning a weapon of great destructive power. Its like saying we don't want all those nukes, but if others have them we need to have them too. Be the first one to put your gun in the trash can, and maybe others will do the same, deliver a message of peace and not of fear.

Yes. I will take another human beings life. As a hunter I am fully aware I am taking a creatures life when I go hunting. As for a human being I have no problem shooting one if they try to hurt me or mine.

Better to have a gun and not need it, then need a gun and not have it.

I agree 1000% Tent. This idiot is a complete moron living in some "fantasy" world. I don't know what world he is living in but I'm like you, I wouldn't have a problem in the world shooting a criminal dead in his tracks. In fact if numbnuts decided to bring his Kung Fu moves on me I'd beat his ass and then put a bullet in him. Fists are considered "deadly weapons" in my State so self defense is 1000% legal. Oh and you let me catch somebody trying to harm my family, buddy the fight is on then. You mess with my family death is a short distance away.
Obama is nothing but a Czar looking to make the US his new "kingdom" and I can't stand the fact. But God forbid somebody off him because Biden is worse in my opinion.
All I can say is go ahead and get what you want now because the time is coming when we won't have anymore.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by riggins44

Well I can't fight statistics

But doesn't it sound odd that violent areas become less violent when MORE guns are introduced?

Use of guns on a ranch I can understand

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against all guns! Hunting: cool, shooting coyotes off your cows: yep. But stocking your basement full of automatic weapons and ammo just because it's your constitutional right

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolbox

Welllll.. tis like this.

I want an "assault rifle (note that fully auto rifles are illegal in the US, this is a ban on SEMI AUTO RIFLES that "look scary") .. if I can go to the store, buy one, then I freely purchased something I desired. If I cannot, I am thus not free to make said purchase.

Since guns are protected by the Constitution, it is a breach of my second amendment right.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT A GUN, YOU ARE FREE TO LIVE WITHOUT ONE. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL ME HOW TO LIVE.

If you think taking MY gun away is going to make YOU safer.. your wrong. I am not the one who will rob your house, car jack you, etc. The ones that WILL do such things, do not need permits to buy guns, do not need stores, and have a wider access then even my self, who must register.

If you don't like guns, by all means, live without them, I don't look down on you for that choice. IT'S YOUR CHOICE. But my gun is my own, and NO ONE can take it, not even the Government. I live for the Constitution, not the imbeciles in Washington.

Please, bare in mind.. it is not guns that incites violence.. Human's incite violence through their own mental creations.. A gun is only a channle through which violence can be expressed.. take them away, and knives, bats, rocks, bows, anything will be used to kill.

MOST murders are drug related. Most of the guns used in murders, being gun related, are not registered. Most are not semi automatic rifles either, but hand guns. And most people who die from gunshot wounds are Felons.

Second biggest reason for murder, is crimes of passion .. which someone will kill with anything they have. Couple years ago in my home town an entire family was murdered with a pickax .. when ask why such a gruesome way to kill his family, he replied it was all he had.

Stances like "take guns away, violence drops" is naive to the point of ignorance.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolbox

Now you are just being nonsensical (and completely disregarding the very valid points people have brought up thus far). As for the statement that things change and weve made progress et. al. I would hope you realize saying just because X number of years have passed we should throw out the 2nd Ammendment would make it just as possible then to remove the freedom of speech, press, petition, religion, and assembly. Or even toss out the whole no unreasonable search and seizure protections outlined in the Bill of Rights as well.

And to imply that because we have firearms and are not willing to give them up for nonsense reasons we are automaticallly criminals is quite frankly insulting to say the least. I've been a responsible and safe firearm owner for many years now; so why should I be punished because of something that isint even happening within the boarders of my country? By that logic I think all chemicals should be outlawed in the UK because of the flood of illegal drugs into the United States... see where this is going?

[edit on 2/27/2009 by Helig]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolbox

No harm, no foul.

Regarding your example of a lion, its a wild animal. It has its own free will to act without your consent and due to its size, strength and speed, you have no real control over it. As such, the two situations are not comparable.

In the end, I disagree that firearm ownership is inherently 'barbaric'. Granted, there are barbaric human being who use firearms, but that says nothing of the weapon itself. Intent matters and the truth is, the overwhelming majority of US firearms owners have absolutely no intent to ever use their weapons in the commission of a crime and in fact, never will. I simply don't see any reason to disarm close to 100 million gun owners who are just minding their own business.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

There is no difference in lethality between a semi automatic assault rifle, and a semi automatic magazine fed hunting rifle...

I hope you're all cashing your paychecks and buying assault rifles ammunition, and magazines before you arent allowed to.

I am waiting for Americas testicles to descend, maybe then people will stand up and fight for thier rights, rather than kneel down and watch them be stripped away.

Get off your ass America!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolbox

ok toolbox- please tell me what exactly an automatic weapon is. if you know even a tiny but about guns you should be able to explain it in terma all will understand. i gaurantee alot of memebers here can explain what AUTOMATIC means

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Gun dealers need to stop selling guns to Mexico. If you would just stop selling guns to Mexico to make a buck this wouldn't be in effect. And to all those assault gun owners out there your just wasting money on impressing your friends. Your not protecting this country with your assault gun. I doubt you ever will. You'll never put your life on line for freedom. Oh wait. You are online. Yeah. Good job defenders of America! Good Job! Doesn't Glen Beck or Bill O'Reilly have forums were you can go worship in the market they placed you in? Patriots. Trigger shy at best. Another sad day.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Not rain on your parade but there are those of us that have put our butts on the line AND we are proud gun owners

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Not rain on your parade but there are those of us that have put our butts on the line AND we are proud gun owners

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join