It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RE2505

Because despotic governments need their asses handed to them from time to time. Our constitution outlines our rights. Our minds, bodies, spirits, and guns guarantee them.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RE2505

Hey, I didn't choose to ban firearms over here. I had no choice but I am thankful for it. I'm just asking why you feel you need these weapons? Just trying to understand.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by RE2505]

Three reasons. One, its a Constitutional right. You either stand up for all of them or none of them. Second, recreational use, whether that be target shooting or hunting. Third, if necessary, its the final safeguard against a tyrannical government, and in reality, this is the reason the 2nd Amendment exists in the first place.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
reply to post by mattifikation

What that guy said.

American's area proud people and this is in our Bill of Rights.
Hear it. RIGHTS, you can not take away what is rightfully yours.
With the government trying to do so we are raising protest here on ATS. We are a proud people and we enjoy what freedoms we have. With the Government trying to limit and take those freedoms away we are getting angry.
Like mattifikation said... Why dont you butt out on this one since you dont know our way of life very well.

It's my RIGHT to comment.
I don't hear one good argument as to why you feel the need for such weapons. I think that you may have all watched too many Arnie films. Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Of course he would say something like this. He's delusional. Here's a list the History Channel compiled of the top ten assault rifles. Obviously this list isn't going to be agreed upon by everyone, but it certainly is a good starting point.

1. AK-47
Type: Semi or Fully Automatic Assault Rifle
Country of Origin: Soviet Union

2. M16
Country of Origin: United States

3. LEE-ENFIELD SMLE
Type: Bolt-Action Rifle
Country of Origin: United Kingdom

4. M1 GARAND
Type: Semiautomatic
Rifle Country of Origin: United States

5. FN FAL
Type: Semi or Fully Automatic Rifle
Country of Origin: Belgium

6. MAUSER K98k CARBINE
Country of Origin: Germany

7. STEYR AUG
Type: Semi or Fully Automatic Bull-Pup Assault Rifle
Country of Origin: Austria

8. 1903 SPRINGFIELD

9. STURMGEWEHR 44
Country of Origin: Germany

10. M14
Type: Semi or Fully Automatic Rifle

After having read that list, the US supplies 4 out of 10. The AK-47 is by far the most common assault rifle on the battle field because you can abuse the hell out of them and they just keep working - with a caveat, the stock models aren't particularly accurate.

This drivel being spewed by the likes of the Obama Administration regarding assault rifles is nothing new. I pretty much disagree with both parties, because they both appear to do the same for the most part. Yet when Bush allowed assault rifles to be purchased in the US again, what happened? Did we suddenly see our cities become battle zones more than they were prior to the ban being lifted, no. In fact, most of the gun deaths in the US were self inflicted.

Cutting out all the sugar coating and all the deceiving comments, I'll be completely honest. The primaryreason I have these weapons and my friends and family have them is because we distrust our government and believe that a culling of the herd will occur someday. When that day comes around it'll be all out war. The government certainly doesn't want to give the citizens the weapons needed to win the war. The secondary reason I have these weapons and my friends and family have them is because I am convinced that should a complete economic collapse occur, the "have not's" are going to start coming after the "have's" and I'm not going to allow people who failed to prepare to steal food and supplies from me when I did prepare. Sure, it's cold hearted, but it's the way it'll go down should the situation arise.

The worst thing about all of this is that the current Administration seems to think that we're all going to be shiny-happy-people if no assault rifles are being made here in the States. Good luck with that in Chicago, Mr. President. Clean up your own town before you bother us with your pacifist vernacular. I'd love to see the crime rates drop to next to zero in Chicago, but that's not going to happen with a gun ban. The people shooting in the streets have many sources and they sure as hell aren't gun shops, but I doubt anyone in the current administration knows that.

Most of the families that are aware of the possible dangers in the future will have already acquired these arms and will not need to obtain more. We already have adequate bullets, and many of us have reloading capabilities as well.

The Supreme Court has already voted to secure the Second Amendment rights of the People. Luckily, they have our backs. It seems Congress and the Executive would rather people not be able to defend themselves from the government.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
reply to post by RE2505

Uh huh.
Please see this : Youtube

Are you saying you need assault weapons for hunting? Or is it just the fact that your constitutional rights are being infringed? Can you not see that banning these weapons will reduce murder rates?
That video actually made me laugh with it's ridiculousness, some guy reporting "a 40% increase in gun crime since the ban was introduced."
Well of course there will be an increase because it wasn't illegal before the ban.

How would you feel about a complete ban on all guns? Local police too?

Hunting has nothing to do with the 2a.

Although I do use my AR15 for dealing with problem coyotes that come on my property and I fear might try and eat my children or animals. It works great!

The 2a is about self defense and protection from tyrannical government.

For example, a government who chooses to give billions of taxpayers money to corrupt bankers even though said taxpayers tell them not to in overwhelming numbers could be considered tyrannical.

Please read John Lott if you think bans reduce murder rates. The UK has seen an increase in crime since their ban. As has Australia.

Until you can remove the criminal element from society a means of self defense will be necessary. Good luck with that...

[edit on 26-2-2009 by merkaba93]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I don't hear one good argument as to why you feel the need for such weapons. I think that you may have all watched too many Arnie films. Just my opinion.

Its also your right to deny ignorance. I cant comment about the laws of the Sudan because I dont live there and dont understand the people, laws, living conditions, heritage, culture, etc...

To do so would only make me a hippocrite.

You want some good arguments, follow this link

Its what the MSM doesnt tell you about law abiding citizens defending themselves.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hmmm...
won't Mexico just find other ways/places to get their weapons?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The only guns they'll be taking will come from law abiding citizens. Criminals will still posses guns so where would that leave the common man?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

Its also your right to deny ignorance. I cant comment about the laws of the Sudan because I dont live there and dont understand the people, laws, living conditions, heritage, culture, etc...

To do so would only make me a hippocrite.

You want some good arguments, follow this link

Its what the MSM doesnt tell you about law abiding citizens defending themselves.

I also couldn't comment on the living conditions and laws of a third world country as I imagine they vary from my own infinitely whereas yours are not dissimilar.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Hmmm...
won't Mexico just find other ways/places to get their weapons?

The Obama Administration wouldn't have you believe that. That's heresy! OF COURSE Mexico will find guns. They'll find ammo, they'll find it all. This statement by Eric Holder is just a thinly veiled attempt at trying to restrict arms that American's can buy so that when the government comes a-knockin' none of us will be prepared.

Here's a good question for you. Which would you rather have? A shootout where you might win, or, a stay with Uncle Sam in your local "camp"? Because we all know how fun-filled the camp plan turned out for the Jews.

I'll stick to my guns, thanks.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RE2505

This is something you Brits never understand. You've gotten so used to your government wiping your butts for you that you can't see why it is so wrong. You're comfortable with the idea of Government dictating every aspect of your life. Even leaving the shed unlocked so the criminal doesn't get hurt. Ridiculous. We'll handle our government and our rights our way. We don't want the government watching every move on CCTV, we don't want to keep the locks off our doors to make sure the burglar doesn't get hurt, we don't want the government to become despotic and useless to us, the people THEY SERVE. We don't serve some old bag in a crown. We're not subjects to anything and anyone. We are Americans and we will stay that way. Period.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I also couldn't comment on the living conditions and laws of a third world country as I imagine they vary from my own infinitely whereas yours are not dissimilar.

Thats your arguement? You can comment on the laws and living conditions of the US because our nations arent dissimilar?

I dont believe I am qualified to comment on the laws of Vermont because I dont live there. I certainly cant comment on the laws of the UK, Germany, or any other industrialized nation.

Just because our nations have a history doesnt make me an expert on your land, nor you on mine.

The brits did away with guns. Their call. The people must be okay with it, doesnt bother me in the slightest. Go about your lives as you see fit, I am in no posistion to tell you how to live, how to work or how to die. Thats your call. I expect the same. You dont live here. You dont have a history in or about the US when it comes to firearms, you are unqualified to tell me that my laws are good or bad.

Also, instead of being so concerned about gun laws in a country different than yours, why not take a look at the laws in your country and work to make lives better there.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by RE2505

This is something you Brits never understand. You've gotten so used to your government wiping your butts for you that you can't see why it is so wrong. You're comfortable with the idea of Government dictating every aspect of your life. Even leaving the shed unlocked so the criminal doesn't get hurt. Ridiculous. We'll handle our government and our rights our way. We don't want the government watching every move on CCTV, we don't want to keep the locks off our doors to make sure the burglar doesn't get hurt, we don't want the government to become despotic and useless to us, the people THEY SERVE. We don't serve some old bag in a crown. We're not subjects to anything and anyone. We are Americans and we will stay that way. Period.

Well I wish you luck with your fight. I'll be watching to see this idea overturned in the near future no doubt.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
For those who are in full support of this bill (provided they maintain the bulk of the original provisions and text) stop by here real quick and familiarize yourself with the items that are prohibited under it.

Now that you are read up on this (provided you actually did read it) I would like to point out that pistol grips, muzzle breaks and shoruds, high capacity magazines, bayonet mounts, folding stocks, and the like do NOT in fact magically give a weapon the ability to become a belt-fed fully automatic machine gun. They are accessories and nothing more. This bill is essentially limiting parts for guns and guns which feature these parts, they do nothing to address fully automatic machine guns which have been a very tightly controlled item for a ver long time.

To drive this home look up the 1934 National Firearms Act which is where the bulk of restrictions on fully automatic firearms originated from. Read that date again...1934! Now I don't have the exact date of the original Assault Weapon Ban in front of me but I would wager that it came much later than the National Firearms Act. These evil guns you see the news anchors refer to are more often than not semi-automatic (one bullet fired per trigger pull) and the few fully automatics you see used in crimes are either illegially modified or outright stolen from legal owners.

I don't expect those who live outside the United States in countries which have been thoroughly disarmed for decades to understand why we want to keep our rights, I suspect if there was a law put into place in somwhere such as Germany or Great Britian to outlaw the sale, possession and production of alcohol the people there would become just as indignant towards their lawmakers as we are when ours come after something that has been a part of our country since we fought tooth and nail to win our independence. You don't like having things torn out of your heritage and dashed upon the rocks and neither do we, apply this concept to your notions about Americans and firearms and maybe you can see where we are coming from on this...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RE2505

Wishful thinking. Don't get bent out of shape because you can't understand freedom from tyranny. You don't know that you're under a tyrannical government because you think it's for "Your protection". Cops don't prevent crime they investigate it. Only YOU can protect yourself. No government can guarantee freedom or protection. Those things are up to you. If you don't want it fine, but don't expect Americans to think like you do. We wipe our own butts.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I do not get this?

So if both countries would just ban assault rifles from being TRANSPORTED ACROSS the border- the entire ban would not be needed? Just a ban making a person unable to transfer guns across the country?

I still go not understand why a NATIONWIDE gun ban would need to be instated just for such a SMALL area...oh wait, I know why...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kj6754
The only guns they'll be taking will come from law abiding citizens. Criminals will still posses guns so where would that leave the common man?

It'll leave you in the hospitality of a FEMA camp. With a lovely phrase on the gate (that you can't exit through, by the way) "Arbeit Macht Frei".

The key is to do literally the reverse of what the Obama Administration wants. They want to take arms from everyone, I say, GIVE arms to everyone. The Swiss have done very well with this system. You have range time every month where you go and fire your weapon, keeping your accuracy up. If literally every 18+ year old in the US had a weapon and routine practice with it, the violent crime would go down because of the deterrent of knowing the people you're going to be taking aim at will also be carrying. You may get one or two, but the rest will level down on you and pull the trigger.

Mexico will find their arms through other sources. It's sad that they are having this drug war happen down there, but they will deal with things the way they will deal with them. We can't be bossing everyone around. If they want to arm themselves against these gangs, it's their choice to do so. If they choose not to, that's also their choice.

North of the border, many of us choose to arm ourselves for precisely the reason evidenced down south. Don't take a knife to a gun fight.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
instead of being so concerned about gun laws in a country different than yours, why not take a look at the laws in your country and work to make lives better there.

As I already stated your country's laws do affect my own because our kids are influenced by your culture.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Do you live on the same planet as the rest of us???!!!????

Sure its GREAT to dream of a loving world, where everyone lives in a perfect utopia. Only problem is, that is not the world we live in. Nor will it ever be as long as the human race populates it. There are hundreds of thousands, if not MILLIONS of people who would line up at the chance to do you harm and take what you have. They have zero compassion for you.
I for one, will NOT hesitate to defend myself be it with my hands and teeth or a firearm. I have zero aspirations of hurting anyone. I will NOT however be a victim to someone who does!

God created man, Samual Colt made them equal.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeligI would like to point out that pistol grips, muzzle breaks and shoruds, high capacity magazines, bayonet mounts, folding stocks, and the like do NOT in fact magically give a weapon the ability to become a belt-fed fully automatic machine gun. They are accessories and nothing more.

No way man. What about all the drive-by bayonettings?

Truly a square knob at the end of a barrel increases lethality by five million percent.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join