It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival weapons in the UK.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hi All.

This thread is all about looking at weapons that would be of use in a whole host of survival situations.

Now in any survival situation, the weapon(s) you have chosen may have to become a hunting device and or in some situations may become a self protection device.

I want to look at a whole host of weapons and discuss there pro's and con's.

Ultimately I am looking at have one or two different weapons for both home and my BOB ( bug out bag ).

What would you recommend ?? If you have chosen a specific weapon, what was your thinking behind making that purchase ??

I was looking at say a black widow catapult with some spare elastic but also maybe a cross bow.
I know there a few threads out there on weapons but here in the UK guns are the big no no because of the UK Govt, so I thought we could get aload of idea's going here.

All survivalists are welcome here is this thread, but please be aware that we need to try to stay within the law.

Regards.

Colec

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
"Stay within the Law"???

That doesnt leave much room for choice.

Almost all weapons are against the law in the UK.

To be honest i cant think of any that would pass a " Police Search " if the situation was to arrise

A solicitor friend of mine said to me once -- " the only weapon that can be used as self defense on the street are the keys in your pocket ". In other words, your keys can be used as they are on your person at all times. Anything other than keys is classed as a weapon.

I know this is not what your setting out to achieve here, however i feel its important to understand non the less.

Incidently, my weapon of choice for survival, if i were to carry one, would be the Swiss Army Knife.

IP

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoProvider

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah Keys, well I bet in your hand that they would have a good use.

I suppose it would all depend on the situation you find yourself in.

Total law enforcement gone then it will not matter what you have or own.

I suppose it would be easier to conceal a catapult than it would a cross bow.
Though a crossbow would have more use in a hunting situation.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
A good crossbow would be handy..

www.crossbows4u.co.uk...#/predator/4529792269

www.crossbows4u.co.uk...#

A professional bow, air rifle etc...www.redrae.co.uk...

Or download a copy of anarchists cookbook - plenty of ideas in there

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I would like one of these but they dont sell them unrestricted in the UK.

At 1200 fps it is quite powerfull

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
If and when the situtation gets really ugly in the UK [ ya know, with all this 2012 stuff ] and i had to flee to the countryside/forest/mountians then yes, a crossbow would be a very good choice.

Other weaponary such as rabbit snare's would be of good use.

Others i would have in my kit ---->

Fishing line and hooks,
Hunting knife - skinning and boning,
Swiss Army Knife - 1001 uses,

and believe it or not, a roll of string, always comes in handy for many things such as hanging pheasants to cure etc.

Star and flag anyway man. I reckon there will be a time that we are going to need this advice, this country is going Down!!!!

IP

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Had a bit of tete a tete with a mate over this one yesterday. Didn't help that someone was cut down across the road from our boozer Thursday night. Emotive issue for some this one.

Personally, I have a Barnett Diablo with two size of shot; a 12" and 14" Khukri, both with karda and chakmak. I'm also looking at getting something a little smaller, possibly something like an AK-47 bayonet c/w wire cutter.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
It has to be said that snares are probably more usefull when hunting than an air rifle.
I also used to have a barnett diablo when i was younger, great weopon!
Might get me another.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

If I remember my UK Law correctly... I dont think a Ball Peen Hammer is classified as a weapon.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What you have to remember is anything is a weapon if that is its intended use.

My local hardware store is literally 3 minutes walk from my door. I picked up an axe in there the other week and asked if I could have a bag (I never do this at the corner-shop next door) citing the distance weighed up against nervous curtain-twitchers.

The guy behind the counter said,
"That's why I'm writing a receipt out for you."

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Yeah I have a snare wire and I would say a very good fishing kit.
I made a very good ( well I believe it is ) fishing kit for Bug out bag.

I need to pick up a few more snare wires and maybe even a couple of rabbit net traps. I am sure that they would not take up much room in a BOB ( bug out bag ).

I have a 2 swiss army knife types in the kit, I will upgrade them to a better version, but as of yet I am still working on the term, something is better than nothing.

If you had to leave in a hurry I suppose a thick stick sharpened to be spear could make a useful weapon.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Yeah you have to be very careful even when transporting something like an axe home.

How do you store your weapons at home ?? I suppose that is something else we might want to look at.

I have a locking ammo box in which I like to keep my knives in etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Black widows are not very good to be honest, and the rubber is very very difficult to replace once they snap/wears out. they also take a hell of a lot of practice to get a good aim.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Thank you for your input Mr Bob, do you recommend another catapult or does what you say go for all catapults ???

A catapult as a whole is still quite easy to conceal and does not take alot of room in a bug out kit.

But if it was to fail very quickly then I see what it could be better to over look them.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

If anything they would just P*** off most things larger than a bird. but its up to you, get one and have a go (i wouldnt suggest targeting live animals)
(If you have the money. )
another thing is the rubber can dry out. wich sounds weird but it can, and can go brittle after a long time.

If you want something small and longer ranged, a 50lb crossbow, is pretty good and a bit easier to aim, and be be brought in the UK. and you can learn to make the small arrows in the wild, if you run out. The strings are easier to replace. still quite difficult, but it is do-able.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Something we need to keep in mind here, and its something thats been over looked ---->

Carrying the survival kit. I think by keeping it simple will be alot easier to carry. It would be alot easier too if there was no metenance [sp?] in the tools that are carried.

Could you imagine trying to carry X amount of knife's, Hammer, Axe, Rope, Snare's, Guns, Xbow, Arrows, Ammo and not forgetting a sleeping bag etc if your going to be on the move.

Carry light things that work [ do the job ] for what you intend its use for!

IP

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Walking stick / staff
Kubotan with keys attached via a short chain making a flail
Northern Ireland gloves with lead shot in the padded section
Tactical pocket flashlight with setrrrated bezel
Tactical flashlight 6 C cell used as baton
2 2/78 folding knife.

Remember to obey the law of the land ( read that between the lines)
the time you will most likely need "" Weaponry"" the very last thing on your mind with be a muppet in a blue uniform playing god.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Agreed, you cant really, carry something that needs regular maintenance, like that because you are going to run out of ammo, and spare parts. and you will need to cary a fair amount of spares.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Being light is of course of a great advantage.
If I need to leave my home, there will be myself and my partner to share the load.
But we are lucky that we have a destination to go to.
We have 72 hrs of food each and where we are going follows a well know river system.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by colec156

But we are lucky that we have a destination to go to.
We have 72 hrs of food each and where we are going follows a well know river system.

Ya see im one of these believers that over the next few years we will experience great floods throughout the world. See levels are predicted to rise 10fold. If this is the case, and indeed if it happens, ill be heading to high ground.

Im from Ireland but now reside [ 3 years ] up here in Lancashire. Horrable place i know, but its were my work took me.

Im going to head to the Scottish Highlands if things get messy here. Plenty of forestry with plenty of lakes, rivers and streams to get good food. The place ill be heading resides on the side of a mountain with a cavern/cave large enough and comfortable enough to house 8 people. Inside the cave there is a few large [ ish ] cracks with fresh water running thoughout it. Some of the cracks will provide fresh water while another thats at the rear of the cave will be used for a loo, if the need arrises that i cant go outside for whatever reason.

With my job [ freelance photographer ] i travel alot. Instead of sleeping in hotels and B&B's etc i prefer to camp. Though in the winter months when its REALLY cold then b&b's it is lolol.

IP

[edit on 22-2-2009 by InfoProvider]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join