It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival weapons in the UK.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoProvider

Well if the SHTF, I just hope that your cave is there for you and unoccupied.

I am still scouting places that I feel would be good hold ups.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
A catapult would be a light and spacesaving fallback for a BOB, but you would go hungry if you had to hunt with it.

Your best bet for a legal UK survival weapon would be a good quality airgun which if the need arose could be tuned slightly. If you can lay your hands on a larger caliber model this would be ideal and will easily bring down large game. Keep it subsonic for accuracy.

If you can get a permit, a shotgun would be ideal.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I have had fishing catapults where the elastic has gone brittle.
I would purchase several replacement rubbers for the catapults.

I do feel that there is room for a catapult in a survival situation but then it's each to their own.

I do like the idea of a cross bow though.,

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What is wrong with the humble shotgun?

As far as I am aware, it is still legal to buy/own one in the UK.

Other than that, then go for a recurve bow.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Nothing wrong with a shotgun, Though I am not sure what the take is on owning one.
Whats the law with owning a rifle ?? are they still legal in the UK ?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
reply to post by Wotan

Nothing wrong with a shotgun, Though I am not sure what the take is on owning one.
Whats the law with owning a rifle ?? are they still legal in the UK ?

I believe you need to have a permit to carry/store one. If you purchase a rifle of any kind for hunting purposes then you need to register it with the appropriate outfit......who ever that is??

IP

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Scarf with large marble or ball bearing in either end, leather glove with chicken wire wrapped around the knuckles, sock with coins, the list is endless. And dont ignore the black widow, the paddies were using them against british soldiers in NI and they could get their BB's in the gap above the body armour, under the chin!! Just practise, and practise some more. If law and orders gone then use everything and anything but practise... And your best weapon is as always your brain.

For those that think knife fights are cool, forget the films and take it from me, if you go close and personal expect to get cut. Always check yourself after a contact, the first time you realise you have been stabbed is when you feel the blood because the actual stab will feel just like a punch.

Rgds

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
A tin of beans if eaten could provide a handy deterent and could also provide nourishment. I obtained this handy info from the survival film blazing saddles.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by InfoProvider

You have to aplly for a shotgun license for a shotgun & a firearms license for a rifle from the police where checks are carried out on your background - mental health & criminal record etc, neither are easy to get.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hell, If rifles and shotguns are available, even through a pain the arse background check and such then you would be a fool not to go that route in my opinion.

Get a good old fashioned pump action shotgun and a # ton of rounds. That should do it.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

They banned pump actions along with handguns, you can only own a single or double barrel even if you have a firearms license. crap eh?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The perfect weapon/tool for UK survival...

A portable shelter against the 57 varieties of British rain, walking aid, fishing rod, and weapon...all in one

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

That's the last time I insult a city gent.

I want one of those. Awesome.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
reply to post by citizen smith

That's the last time I insult a city gent.

I want one of those. Awesome.

Dont you remember all the skinheads and suedeheads carrying brollies back in the 70s, along with aluminium hair combs shapened to a razors edge, and all metal parka pens ?

I remember my skinhead days with my brogues with metal segs fitted so they did more damage if you kicked someone, looked dapper with my Levi Staypressed pants and Crombie.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Nah, I was too young and innocent.

Come to think of it, my mum had one of those combs. That's the first time i've realised how "useful" they are.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
reply to post by Northern Raider

Nah, I was too young and innocent.

Come to think of it, my mum had one of those combs. That's the first time i've realised how "useful" they are.

Its amazing just how much ordinary kit can be turned into defensive weaponry, from refillable perfume sprays being used to spray powdered curry and pepper dust, sharpened combs, tactical pens made of billet steel or alloy, walking sticks, brollies, your car and house keys on a chain with a metal flashlight on other make a superb flail, NI gloves with lead fishing shot in the padding, even gas powered whistles work well it you clamp it to your opponants ear then trigger it, riveted or studded leather belt with good heavy brasss buckle, and of course you trusty pocket knife and flashlight are deadly combined.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoProvider
A solicitor friend of mine said to me once -- " the only weapon that can be used as self defense on the street are the keys in your pocket ". In other words, your keys can be used as they are on your person at all times. Anything other than keys is classed as a weapon.

I find this to be very sad, and very true. I have trained for years in martial arts and that included a great deal of study in improvised weapons, from pens to magazines and yet if i used such a thing upon an assailant i would be in trouble. That bugs the hell out of me.

Originally posted by Tentickles
If I remember my UK Law correctly... I dont think a Ball Peen Hammer is classified as a weapon.

Actually any item used in an assault can be classed as a weapon.

Originally posted by Wotan
What is wrong with the humble shotgun?

As far as I am aware, it is still legal to buy/own one in the UK.

Other than that, then go for a recurve bow.

If you want to own a shotgun you have to show a reason for owning it. This usually means land to shoot on like farmers. If you know the right people and join a club you can get one for clay pigeon shooting. You will have to deal with an inspection by the police to make sure your home is secure (gun safe) and heavy background checks. On top of this you will need yearly inspections. The same law applies to rifles although the rifle law is even more heavily carried out and unless you can show a genuine need, like game keeping or pest control you won't get one.

My suggestion? If you need to use your BOB then pack a simple knife, full tang for survival and learn how to make a bow. Bow making is a very complicated thing, to make a simple bow is quite easy but should be learned because you need to know how to do it before you actually try it when your life depends on it.

A bow is quiet, accurate, powerful and you never run out of ammo as it can always be made easily.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

[edit on 22-2-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I would say a car or truck would be about your best choice in the U.K. Just run over some of the storm troopers that are patrolling the streets, and steal their submachine guns, and bullet proof vests.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Think like the peasants did in feudal times.. They weren't allowed to carry weapons either. They used staves and ordinary gardening tools. A hand sickle like the ones used for weeding grass, or a roll of coins make for a nice, legal weapons in a clinch.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
In truth if you are talking about the end of civilization i would suggest you just avoid confrontation for a while until you get a bow. The reason i say that is because if it all goes wrong then people with weapons will keep them and use them. The only option you have is to maybe drive to the nearest gun store as soon as things are looking bad and gain access to the weapons.

If it were me though i would just head for the remotest area i could find and disappear. In the UK that's kinf of difficult but i promise you there are some locations that you can hide in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join