It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival weapons in the UK.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I think after seeing that news snippet you posted cs then thats prob best idea.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
Some mentioned earlier that the IRA used to use catapults against the British army in NI.
If this true ? if so were they a success ?

No they weren't, rubber bullets and baton rounds hurt even more going back in their direction

A collegue of mine in NI years back never mentioned this, but he did often refer to the rock chucking little shts with venom.
He said one trick was to ignore them, wait at a corner (where they run to) and as they turn it, hoof them in the face!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
To be honest, I'm thankful that we have such restrictive firearms legislation in the UK

In a long-tern SHTF scenario, it'll be just as violent as in the US, but safer with the thought that I'd be far less likely to be looking down the wrong end of a barrel

No guns..
No nasty stingy insects.. (with the exception of an annoying wasp or two)
No vicious animals.. (except for your average chav)

[edit on 24-2-2009 by citizen smith]

Not if you're in the big cities scavanging, you'll find the armed criminal element will be buzzing around quite happily with firearms. Especially if they storm enough police stations

But for small towns and so in it will be a bit safer...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
One 'weapon' not mentioned as yet is the Caltrop

If you have access to an arc-welder it would be simple enough to take a bag of 2" nails and weld up a box-full to be kept to deter vehicle access to roads, the driveway to your bug-in premisis, or even carried as part of defensive BoB gear to scatter around a temporary camp to deter intruders on foot

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
Not if you're in the big cities scavanging, you'll find the armed criminal element will be buzzing around quite happily with firearms. Especially if they storm enough police stations

But for small towns and so in it will be a bit safer...

The guys who I knew whilst living in Moss Side for many years who carried 'tools of the trade' were street-smart...but not that clever-smart

If you want to take them on in any way, better to set up a bait-trap of shiny baubles and when they come investigating, aim with your xbow for either a head kill-shot or groin/inner thigh blood-loss shot as anti-stab torso-armour is a common item of dress

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
have any you guys recced your city for semi/perm bases to provide secure bases for your selfs yet?? say apprx 2 weeks after the initial ballon gone off, (not nuke to much radioactive crap in the air)
i,v recced a few and recon its gonna be fairly easy to secure and defend if nes. its an old arcade with plenty of fresh water and theres plenty of ways to secure the place and provide a guard platform for easy defence,

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Originally posted by colec156
Some mentioned earlier that the IRA used to use catapults against the British army in NI.
If this true ? if so were they a success ?

No they weren't, rubber bullets and baton rounds hurt even more going back in their direction

A collegue of mine in NI years back never mentioned this, but he did often refer to the rock chucking little shts with venom.
He said one trick was to ignore them, wait at a corner (where they run to) and as they turn it, hoof them in the face!

In the good days of the troubles we used to swap out the rubber baton head for D cell batteries, Used to shatter the rioters shins and knee caps and on occasion their faces.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
n/raider is true they used to melt the queens head from a ten pence bit onto a plastic round so,s the perp got a reminder of who,s he rioting against or is that an army urban legend... lmao

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
n/raider is true they used to melt the queens head from a ten pence bit onto a plastic round so,s the perp got a reminder of who,s he rioting against or is that an army urban legend... lmao

Not sure, I did hear of some infantry units enjoying the benefits of a new product at that time called SUPERGLUE, to affix coins etc to baton rounds.

The early versions of rubber bullet launchers were meant to be aimed about 15 yards in front of the rioters so the round skipped off the road and lost much velocity before hitting the rioters in the legs. But when the rioters used to let IRA gunmen hide among them sniping at us from behind civilians many lads just fired straight at them.

I was out there twice and was terrified most of the time so did not concentrate to hard on alienating the locals any more than neccessary.
The US aided and funded PIRA had no qualms about killing women and children so killing the soldiers sent to protect them from the Loyalist gangs was no problem for them.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

NR, given your previous experiences as a soldier out in NI, what would be your best advice for a civvy living under a similar situation if all hell broke loose and the scenes from streets of Derry came to our towns (for whatever reason) and there were armed patrols on the strreets, sectarian and general mob violence etc?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

NR, given your previous experiences as a soldier out in NI, what would be your best advice for a civvy living under a similar situation if all hell broke loose and the scenes from streets of Derry came to our towns (for whatever reason) and there were armed patrols on the strreets, sectarian and general mob violence etc?

LEAVE. the civvies were trapped between the Provos, the loyalist gangs, the cops, the army and the politicians. It was aleways the case that the ordinary citizen ended up either being the victim or being the target, like in Iraq now you could not be neutral, the factions would not let you stay out of it. You either picked a side or picked your grave. Even in good times cities are not places for strong minded individuals like survivalists, and in trouble times it will be far worse. Example a Sit x affects London, Martial law declared which meand the cops and army are going to not be your friend, nor are the races, colours, religions and nationalities that are different to your own. Its going to be dog eat dog , Ethnic gangs, religous groups, pissed off stressed soldiers, scared cops, vigilantes, trade unionists, you name it they are all looking for people to blaim and attack.
I know three top notch survivalists who live in Ireland, Dublin, Limerick and Belfast are their work places but none of them would live in the cities they withdraw to the rural areas every night.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Look at where you live, Barnsley, Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford, Halifax, wakefield etc are simmering now, the unrest and hostility is just beneath the surface at all times, Have a Sit X in that area and its going to make the area look like Beruit in the 1980s.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Your bang-on...I guess I'm a bit too much of a utopian dreamer at times to see the harsh on-the-ground reality, but you have the advantage of seeing the worst of civilian life during a prolonged sit-x such as the NI troubles

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Your bang-on...I guess I'm a bit too much of a utopian dreamer at times to see the harsh on-the-ground reality, but you have the advantage of seeing the worst of civilian life during a prolonged sit-x such as the NI troubles

Look Nirg old chap you are clearly a very very inteligent young chap, just study the lessons of history from the Romans onwards, as soon as a civilisation becomes " Civilised" it starts to collapse, it always follows the same pattern, Civilisation brings tolerance and decadence, as soon as they get a hold that civilisation rots away from the inside. Cities are necropolis's in waiting, nothing more, they are for the unthinking, easily led worker drones, ants, termites and sheeple. The enlightened and the wise get out often at any cost.

Do a google on White Flight specifically for the UK, the reports are terrifying, IIRC in one year alone 250,000 families buggered off from the home counties for reasons of self preservation. If you stay in the cities it comes under the category of Unneccessary Risk in most planning strategies.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
HP2 battery in the cobblers was just deserts. Any way, yes the locals did shoot BB's via catapults at security forces

www.independent.co.uk...

www.britains-smallwars.com...

Rgds

[edit on 27/2/09 by Dark Vengeance]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Vengeance

From the N.I. 1st tour link..

..The effectiveness of teargas varied from place to place though our impression was that they seemed to get used to its effects in time. The usual practice for many to counter its effects was to cover their mouths with wet or vinegar-soaked cloths with varying degrees of success.

Does the vinegar-saoked mask make much of a difference if caught in a tear-gas cloud? As that could be useful to remember to add to a BoB if ever caught in such a situation, particularly in getting out of a deteriorating urban environment on MTB or foot

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Couldnt tell you I'm afraid, we need a guinea pig or two. Any volunteers? The winner gets a bag of chips to dip in their soggy hanky

And you do start to build up an immunity to it.

Rgds

[edit on 27/2/09 by Dark Vengeance]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

If it feels anything like one those chili-cooking accidents then thats a good enough benchmark to go by

...and strangely enough you build up an immunity to that too

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
dont think c/s gas would be much of an issue to honest, but a basic way is to use crushed charcoal/talc powder mix as a face mask and swiming gogles aswell. personaly i would stay urban i,m familier with the city not that big ( ask N/raider) i know were to store secondary supply posts and how to move through the city undetected/under ground, compass work needs to be thourer and well practised for this, and being the city it is alot of premises are hardened shelters from the troubles ie rienforced glass and heavy duty doors metal grills reinforced shutters and and the like...

[edit on 28-2-2009 by foxhoundone]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

If it feels anything like one those chili-cooking accidents then thats a good enough benchmark to go by

...and strangely enough you build up an immunity to that too

You're kidding right? I never get used to that!

As for vinegar I heard urine worked pretty well, perhaps it's an acid thing...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join