It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White people avoid race topics

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That's a fallacy.

Some ethnic groups are more prone to certain diseases, but none are ethnicity specific.

Any genetic difference is as minimal as hair or eye color. As a matter of fact, blood type is more significant than ethnicity with regards medical issues.

I'd recommend reading an anatomy or medical book written more recently than 1950. You might be surprised.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
That's the thing about political correctness. People put everyone related to races in one big pile and people will automatically assume that anything related to races is bad.

There's a difference between being racist and stereotyping. Being racist means you feel uncomfortable with other races while stereotyping is assuming a person's characteristics based on the archetypal figure of that race or culture.
I don't mind being stereotyped sometimes, people should be proud of the way they are.

To paraphrase Uhura from Star Trek, "In the future, we learn to not be scared of words."

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by darkclaw1256

And fear of political correctness results in some people assuming that what existed before was correct. We must be careful to not revert to what was before, lest we deny a white man a heart donated by a black man for fear of incompatibility.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

And that is why Scandanavians have a much higher incidence of type 2 diabetes and the majority of people with sickle cell are of African decent?

Only Jewish people get Tay Sachs.
-Cystic fibrosis is present in persons of European descent.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

And none of those are ethnicity specific, just higher tendencies.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Hellish-D]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Who is too say that the very few non ethnic people who have gotten it did not have a mixed ancestry somewhere? Say, Meditteranean decent?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The bases for racism are colonialism and nationalism.

Since that is still going on in this century I expect no change at all.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Grey Magic]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by orkson

speak for yourself on penis size...I have been with several black women and satisfied every one of them and my skin is as white as snow..and i have been athletically gifted as any other man..i am not inferior to any so called race just because you believe you are in different ways..and there are none inferior to me either..the troubles in other countries are due in large part to the same reasons the european countries were in shambles throughout history..bankers..bankers..bankers..wake up you self degenerate fool..your type of thinking is what prevents you from ever achieving your full potential as a person...and because you believe you are inferior in some ways you seek to bring everyone else down around you by claiming they lack something also..you should be ashamed of yourself..be brave and forward thinking good God believing people of the world..your equality is guaranteed by God..dont let any man take this from you..because if you do they will lead you to the same destruction they are in store for..you are all special black..white..brown..asian..all of you..give mind heart and body to God and you will know the truth behind the whole racial mythology used by predators to exploit you and set up banks to crush you entirely..because when we are all slaves then we will all have to look at each other and finally say..ok i guess we are all equal..maybe then we can start bulding a real future for our children..

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Now you're arguing semantics. There is no reason, medically or otherwise to argue the separation of ethnicities. If anything, the genetic diversity will do more good than harm.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I do appreciate your messages. Really.
You see, I was 5 years old when I arrived in Africa. My friends were black abyssinians (Ethiopia). I learnt how to speack Amharic (Their langage). My father was a doctor. The race was really not a concern. For me.
I discovered racism at school, for the first time, when one of my supposed friend, a black, told me "go back home, dirty white" !
Well ... You must know that Ethiopia has NEVER been a colony.
So, as a white, I was in no way an occupier.
I was only a white man, son of a white man healing the black people.
I remember this day like a shocking and not understandable event.

In me, there was this question : "I do not hate them, why do they ?"

To day, many years after, beeing retired, I consider sometimes the idea of going back in Africa, to help some village with my know-how.
I think it's better "to teach how to fish than to give a fish".
But in me, there's the echo of that guy.
"Go back home, dirty white".

I Know, it's stupid.
But I don't want to be the proy of that new national sport in many African countries : the White's hunt. So, they won't have neither my sweat, nor my blood.

You think that biological evidences tell us that the differences between men are peanuts. It's maybe true.

But honestly, WHO CARES ?

A black man once, gave me this revelation : I was a White Man.
Who cares the biological, scientific, rational evidences ?

I think that if we had an "Independance Day event" (extraterrestrials invading earth), we would maybe be united against those denying our right to live. But so far, as human racial groups ( I don't speack of individuals, able to be friends of lovers despite the race difference ) our relations can only be based on domination, or hate, or despise. Killing the master has always been the upmost act of revenge of the slave.

When things come to that point, no religion, no civilization, no friendship, can stop it. And ... unfortunately, I'm on the master's side of the wall.

It's not paranoïa. My eyes are only wide open.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Talking about race makes it a bigger deal than it would have been had it not been talked about.

[edit on 2/20/2009 by shockedonlooker]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Just a thought for group to ponder.

Beginning in 1995, I've become acquainted with several South American families that are unrelated and have nothing more in common than the fact that they came into the US via Miami other than they are multi-ethnic, multi-race. They are a collective of several races from all over the world, Asian, African, European, British, etc, black, white, red and yellow. Apart from sounding like a Sunday school song, you should take note and pay attention.

They have a very healthy appearance, strong physique, flawless skin, strong mental abilities, are natural athletes, and almost ageless with very little if any illnesses.
Anyone who would take the time to read up on genetics would come to the inevitable conclusion that these people, my friends, are the future.

Businesses and military seem to hold a fast track for these families as well.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by orkson

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Soothsayer

Originally posted by prevenge

but when surrounded by african americans in a nightclub..
or hispanics in a barrio marketplace?

are they going to be as open and mouthy on their opinions on it as they would on ATS? I think not.

-

Actually, yes.

While in the service, when having to do the fitness exams, I'd always tell the brothers that they could run faster if they had a TV in their hands.

Am I a racist? No... I just have "inappropriate" humor.

Which is rather sad, really... Mencia can say stuff like that, Chapelle can say stuff like that, but a white guy?

Aww, hell no.

It's strange, me and a group of friends from high school had such an inappropriate sense of humor and loved racist and un PC jokes, yet we were considered the "smart kids" in the honors classes. It seemed like we were the only ones with such an off-color sense of humor. Why would that be? Arrogance I guess. I wouldn't say ignorance.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CapsFan8

It's strange, me and a group of friends from high school had such an inappropriate sense of humor and loved racist and un PC jokes, yet we were considered the "smart kids" in the honors classes. It seemed like we were the only ones with such an off-color sense of humor. Why would that be? Arrogance I guess. I wouldn't say ignorance.

Arrogance is a part of it, but not totally. That specific type of humor often comes with the understanding that such comments and 'offenses' aren't really offensive, in the big picture. Thumbing one's nose at convention (political correctness) is often a sign of a better understanding of the nature of things.

I'll also assume that the off color jokes came along with a realization that the fried chicken and watermelon jokes held little basis in reality, but made for funny commentary.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by orkson
Study

White people, even children as young as 10, avoid talking about race because any opinion may appear prejudiced, according to new research, but that approach often backfires as blacks tend to view that approach as evidence of prejudice, especially when race is clearly relevant.

So where do I, a white man, draw the line? The PC liberal message is very confusing... I'm not sure which thought-rules to follow. I'm not racist as in I don't hate people for their race or treat them differently. I avoid talking about race in public because ANY mention of race MIGHT give someone the wrong idea about me, so it is a dangerous topic. This is the same as me not talking about politics at work... some topics are polarizing and might just stir up trouble.

BUT there are indeed racial disparities in this world that are demonstrated through statistics. For example, black people in the US have a higher AIDS rate than white people. So, to fight AIDS, isn't it necessary to have this kind of information? Certainly it is not racist to point out a statistic because (good) statistics are impartial.

My point is this: I don't talk about race out of fear of being misinterpreted as a racist.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellish-D
Arrogance is a part of it, but not totally. That specific type of humor often comes with the understanding that such comments and 'offenses' aren't really offensive, in the big picture. Thumbing one's nose at convention (political correctness) is often a sign of a better understanding of the nature of things.

I'll also assume that the off color jokes came along with a realization that the fried chicken and watermelon jokes held little basis in reality, but made for funny commentary.

Yes, I agree. This kind of humor has two different audiences. One sees it as a parody of ridiculousness, the other sees it as being cruel for fun.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by orkson
You, in the United States (I'm European) are lucky : reporting the RACE of the offenders is LEGAL. In France, for instance, it isn't.

That really surprises me. I disagree with your conclusion that due to the statistics, blacks and hispanics are inherently more likely to be criminal - I have a pretty strong suspicion that is more due to cultural factors.

HOWEVER, I am appalled at the idea that when reporting a crime you can't mention race. (For the sake of argument, assume I actually acknowledge governments, laws and police as having any validity.) If you are going to tell someone else - whether it be a friend, reporter or cop - about a crime, wouldn't you do your best to help describe the individual so that others may identify him/her? I think skin color would be just as important as hair color, height, body type, etc.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkclaw1256
To paraphrase Uhura from Star Trek, "In the future, we learn to not be scared of words."

I think that hits at the heart of the racism and political correctness issue. In fact, I think most of our conflicts boil down to differences in semantics. As William Burroughs was fond of saying, "the word is a virus."

We can fight it, but we shouldn't fear it.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The one thing that really really annoys me about racial issues,

Is not just the people who are racist, but the people who use the racist card ALL THE TIME.

To be honest, I find most white people in general not racist and actually the ones to talk less about racial diffference. Myself included. I can look at a black person and not have to judge the difference between me and the other. But a large percentage of black people I've met have brought up the racial difference themselves, either conciously, or sub conciously.

They bring it up alot of the time, mainly about past issues. The other one is like, I don't distingush people based on colour, I just find IMO alot of run ins with black people I have got this projection. like in one instance

I disliked this South African, he was the most racist person you can find. He always went on about racism and politics till the end of day in work. It got to a stage where he alienated himself from people. When people did, he was like your racist. Not only that he was a terrible worker and was pulled up over it. He then goes your racist.

This is a big problem to the whole racism issue. White people find it very heard to deal with this. So this thread is a very important topic. I'm not ignoring the racsim is a huge issue. But I'm saying in the present we live in there has been made great changes. People with different racial colours and whatnot should note this.

I'm saying from experience, and I'm sick and tired of this poor me I'm different or I'm that etc, I'm different to you and the likes. We are all different. LEARN to take common ground and start somewhere we you can relate to the next person. This is the beauty of life.

Eveyone was of us has # in our lives, deal with it.

In America, with all respect due to all racial differences and my heart goes out to the struggles of people who had to suffer racial experiences. I say this as caring as I can. But All the black people or whatever minority group also have a steak in this matter and in America they also have a responsbility to reduce the racism in their lives too. By learning to deal with the past.

By one, stop attracting it.. Two stop been the victim. and three stop going on and on about, mix with people who are not racist.

Example of this poor me racist card
Sheeri Shepard on the view never EVER shuts up about the racist card. She always has to point out the difference and how her past has scarred her. It's so really riles me. She is the very one who puts wood in the fire in this issue. She uses terms herself to differenciate herself from black. She always use black terms in a multi diverse conversation. She says jokes all the time with the white man or the black man run ins. She gets all so over personal and over emotional when someone says something about Obama. She will start oh because hes black. Seriously she is just one example who puts so much focus herself on racial difference, that we do not project manifest or create.

In raicial issues, the bully awell as the victim. Needs to take reponsiblity for their existence.

Can people just learn to take a step back and realise we are in the present and we are not in the slave days. People just have to stop btinging up the past over and over.

I just had to use this example. I hope no one is offended by my ponts.
The view is a great example, because they are two blacks and three white people on the panel.

But time and time again, Whoopi and Sherri go on the past of advercity they had to deal with. Which is fine, but to constanstly go into the past over and over, is not helping. You do see the others' getting uncomfortable at times.

So the title of the thread does have some meaning and relevance.
We need to accept the past and create a better future. There has been great progress can we people put our difference aside and focus on what we have in commo.

Sorry for spelling mistakes it's a bit rushed and im heading to bes

[edit on 20-2-2009 by universe attracts wisdom]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join