It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White people avoid race topics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Study

White people, even children as young as 10, avoid talking about race because any opinion may appear prejudiced, according to new research, but that approach often backfires as blacks tend to view that approach as evidence of prejudice, especially when race is clearly relevant.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
This just goes to show how advanced the human race really is. Will this BS ever end? Why can't all races just let it go? At the rate race issues are going we are heading into a war based on race alone.

Humans always have had the need to be better than thy neighbor for as long as we have recorded history.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I've never had a problem talking about race. I don't know what there is to be afraid of.

Boggles the mind really.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I'm white, and the reason I avoid race topics, is because there is only 1 race. The human race. Any argument to indicate otherwise is just a waste of energy. So I don't bother

Edit to add, but I agree with the topic. Alot of white people are afraid of expressing their views. But maybe that's more born out of fear that their views are actually racist. And they don't see themselves as racist because "they have a black friend"

insidentally. One of the best.ever. websites on the internet ever ever is/was blackpeopleloveus it's a quality parody site. [/slightly off topic]

[edit on 20/2/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
im white,and i love talking about race...

itll probably get me in trouble one day though
damn PC laws. you cant even give statistcs like "black poeple are more involved in the UK gun culture" without getting a lot of stick from ethnic minorities and even white people about how its wrong to bring that up...if you said mostly white poeple,its fine.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by orkson

White people, even children as young as 10, avoid talking about race because any opinion may appear prejudiced, according to new research,

I disagree with this, white people don't talk about race for the most part for the same reasons we don't talk about all kinds of topics, ether we don't have anything to add to the conversation or we think the it's dumb.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
i lump racism, antisemitism, and sexual harassment all under the same roof. there is so much controversy over these issues now it pays to just avoid them. it is how divide and conquer works... create controversy and divisions over idiotic issues and keep the people divided. the fact doesnt change that israel isnt our ally, and should be considered a threat to our national security.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
They name this the "colorblindness".

Another way to tell this : "what is a racist ? - a white man"

A VERY powerfull engine for brainwashing.

The very moment when a WHITE man pronounces the word "RACE", he feels guilty.

Telling that there is only ONE race on earth is a scientific nonsense.

Does that mean that races as not "equal" ?
YES.

Does that mean that any of them is "superior" ?
NO.

Biological differences make the black 100m runners the fastest.
[snip]

But please, show me one single country in the world, ruled solely by the blacks, and where the people is not engulfed in plague, illness and misery.

The biggest gift that these countries should receive would be to get rid of their "elite", their "leaders", and be ruled again by WHITE leaders.

Those who think that this statement is shameful should frankly say : "I prefer let them starve, die from AIDS and fight whith each other than pretending that I'm able to cure that and bring them food, health and peace".

Once upon a time, there was the "White Man's burden".
It gave a century of food, health and peace.

Now that we have withdrawn ourselves from that "burden", everybody is "free" to starve, to die from illness and make the chidren-fighters.

There is a legal point : "non assistance in endangered persons".

Our "anti-racist" concept is one.

Removed reference to sexual organ

[edit on 20/2/09 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
You know, I really hate talking about NASCAR, too.

Oh, wait, wrong race huh?

When will people learn that the only race is the human race?

EDIT HERE:

And... AND... if us crackers say anything about race, we're bigots. So we don't say anything, so others can't twist our words around.

[edit on 2009/2/20 by The Soothsayer]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
White people avoid race topics
I don't avoid it.
I just think its irrelevant and a waste of my time thinking about it.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
so according to this study, white people avoid the subject of race and black people use this as further evidence of white peoples racism!!!

do we need a study to show that white people in america avoid talking about race? of course white people avoid discussing race with anyone, it's just easier.

we all use prejudice in our everyday lives as a matter of course, blonds are dumb, people with glasses are smart and so on, and we all do it regarding race as well. this is completely normal, categorization by color and shape is one of the first mental skills a child learns.

we use this prejudice to determine how to behave towards someone until we know what they are actually like. this is a good instinct in such a complex social environment. the problem is, we are all told constantly that this natural, instinctual behavior is wrong.

to my mind, black people are just as prejudiced as anyone else (because it is instinct) and they think that white people are racist because they assume any prejudice is racism and they are projecting their mental state. white people know they can't win when it comes to the combination of this projection and the associated persecution complex so they avoid it totally. they also feel they are racist because of this instinctual prejudice which complicates everything.

[edit on 20/2/09 by pieman]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

But please, show me one single country in the world, ruled solely by the blacks, and where the people is not engulfed in plague, illness and misery.

Really, Africa has only been so messed just like the Middle East because we white men messed it up. Europeans started invading sub-Saharan Africa in the 1500's and had a huge tech advantage over the local black people because we stole wheat, horses and gunpowder off the Arabs and Chinese. To this day France and Briton play their games in Africa with the US, Russia and more recently china joining in, how could they get their act together under such powerful forces working against them.

The biggest gift that these countries should receive would be to get rid of their "elite", their "leaders", and be ruled again by WHITE leaders.

yeah because us white folks have proven so very trust worthy in the past. the usual price we charge for the right to feel safe and secure is merely the raping of that nation.

Those who think that this statement is shameful should frankly say : "I prefer let them starve, die from AIDS and fight whith each other than pretending that I'm able to cure that and bring them food, health and peace".

Or you know we could just give them what they need with in reason, and we can afford it.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Mr Mxyztplk]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
alot of white people here will say they aren't afraid to discuss the "race" topic.
they'll type on the internet all night long about it.

but when surrounded by african americans in a nightclub..
or hispanics in a barrio marketplace?

are they going to be as open and mouthy on their opinions on it as they would on ATS? I think not.

_______________________________________-

my personal opinion on it is that it really descends the actual topic and reaches deep into our tribal-minded animalistic nature..

we DO have the free will to transcend that nature and be something more than that.. and not be so defensive and take everything personal..
we CAN discuss the topic in face-to-face circumstances.. without reacting with negative emotions on all sides..

just takes the agreement that we all do it.

-

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I agree with you Pieman : the easiest way to live is : "see nothing, hear nothing, say nothing".

A popular Jury must decide for your grant.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
are they going to be as open and mouthy on their opinions on it as they would on ATS?

hardly, in that size crowd there is likely to be at least one idiot that is waiting for an excuse to take offense at the slightest thing anyone says.

i would be as quiet about my views on which is better, to button a shirt from the bottom up or the top down in that size crowd, regardless of race. keep your mouth shut in a crowd is always a smart move.

[edit on 20/2/09 by pieman]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

but when surrounded by african americans in a nightclub..
or hispanics in a barrio marketplace?

are they going to be as open and mouthy on their opinions on it as they would on ATS? I think not.

-

Actually, yes.

While in the service, when having to do the fitness exams, I'd always tell the brothers that they could run faster if they had a TV in their hands.

Am I a racist? No... I just have "inappropriate" humor.

Which is rather sad, really... Mencia can say stuff like that, Chapelle can say stuff like that, but a white guy?

Aww, hell no.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Their is a time and place for everything. Would you start a conversation about abortion or coke vs pepsi their? and just the idea of bringing up a contentious topic at the club is a dumb thing to do, drinking and debating don't mix.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
reply to post by prevenge

Their is a time and place for everything. Would you start a conversation about abortion or coke vs pepsi their? and just the idea of bringing up a contentious topic at the club is a dumb thing to do, drinking and debating don't mix.

I think you're missing the point of the OP's thread.

whites avoid race topics. the study shows that this is a socio-psychological issue that has to do with personal interactions.

should I start from the bottom and raise the bar?

1-one white guy in a room with a good friend who's black.
the race topic comes up..
they talk freely.. the white guy holds back a bit.. but politely discusses it ...as the study may collude.

2-one white guy in a room with 3 black guys he's amicable with through aquantance.. the race topic comes up.. the white guy is a little bit less likely to be as forward with his opiinons..

3-one white guy in a room with 15 black guys ... whom may or not know him as a friend/accquaintance..

the guy will most likely shut the hell up on the race topic or just agree with the crowd.

it all goes back to tribal animalistic instincual basic issues... self preservation.. etc..

you'd THINK that the same would be for the reverse of the 3 situations i presented...
though through history's dirty path.. the guilt issue and the undercurrents of inequity that EVERYBODY KNOWS exists ... still remains.

you'll NEVER experience the absence of this phenomenon unless we live in a utopian civilization and history is somehow forgotten or erased.

people... remember..

-

[edit on 20-2-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Really, Africa has only been so messed just like the Middle East because we white men messed it up.

You see, this is a false argument.
Some Asian countries have been colonized by Europeans, and they are to-day much less in the mess than Africa.

The problem is : Asians are more gifted than Africans.
It's a matter of fact.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Really, Africa has only been so messed just like the Middle East because we white men messed it up.

You see, this is a false argument.
Some Asian countries have been colonized by Europeans, and they are to-day much less in the mess than Africa.

The problem is : Asians are more gifted than Africans.
It's a matter of fact.

more gifted in scholastic areas? (partially because of strict cultural discipline?) on the average.. yeah..

more gifted in athletics? i think not.

-

[edit on 20-2-2009 by prevenge]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join