It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White people avoid race topics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hasn't Bush been being compared to a chimpanzee for 8 years now?

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

White people, even children as young as 10, avoid talking about race because any opinion may appear prejudiced, according to new research, but that approach often backfires as blacks tend to view that approach as evidence of prejudice, especially when race is clearly relevant.

makes a certain amount of sense. every word can be like treading on eggshells with some people and you never know who's going to blow when. case in point...just yesterday at lunch i had a black co-worker go racist on me when i expressed the opinion that that cartoon in the NYPost wasn't racist. she screamed at me that i as a white chick had no right to even form an opinion on it?! what the heck? at that point i had the option to, as this study says, retreat and let it lie, or address it. i chose to address it and probably didn't get my point across at all. it's often hard to with racists.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

And I have watched white people including obvious professionals cop drugs in my neighborhood for years............what point were you trying to make? When the suburbs have any sort of drug activity they act like the end of the world is coming. As long as their kids go to the city to buy their drugs they could care less, then of course they bemoan the horrors of the inner city. I have lived in drug infested neighborhoods for most of my adult life and by far the vast majority of those purchasing heroin are white, the crack seems to be a more equal opportunity addiction. LOL

[edit on 2/20/2009 by redhead57]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Other stats

Interracial Crime
Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites
- blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
- Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks.
Fortyfive percent of their victims are white
43 percent are black
10 percent are Hispanic.
- When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
- Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
- Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.

My goal is not to promote hate.

I just want a free, unbiased, documented information about the racial problem.
I think that hiding the truth is NEVER a good thing. For nobody.
If I were a black man, I'd honestly admit that there is obviously a big problem.
Searching a solution before it turns to a civil and racial war should begin
- by telling to the black people in America that this problem is NOT the result of some "white racism", but has inner roots.
- by telling to the white people living in America that they are NOT responsible of the hatred outlined by these statistics.
- by telling to both that they are DIFFERENT and have only two solutions :
- either try to live in peace side by side ( The "melting pot" has failed )
This is only possible if black men accept to make a "cultural revolution"
- or beeing physically separated (by force or by agreement)

The anti-racism leads us to a social catastrophy.
Firstly because it is based on the racist postulate : "WE are the racists".
Whatever we do in order to alleviate the differences between us ( at the expense of our culture and the education of our children ), there will always remain the harsh fact that we are NOT black men and they aren't white men.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I never have avoided the topic of race and likely never will. Without such conversation we would still be living under Jim Crow laws and my marriage would be illegal. I do hope that this is a warped statistic and that people do keep talking until we can all find a solution to the issues that are ruining our society.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I admit I avoid race talk.

One day at work a hispanic guy mentioned something about Mexicali. I used to live in the area, and since most of the hispanic guys at work in Florida were middle American or Puerto Rican, I asked him if he was Mexican.
Right away another hispanic guy says "are you a racist against Latinos?"
No - I wanted to know if the guy was Mexican and from the same area I used to live.

As an American culture we tend to mistake "race" with "culture" or "nationality".

When I explained why I asked the guys were actually surprised to know I knew there was a difference between hispanic as a race and Mexican as a nationality.

Am I a coward? I don't think so - its just not worth it. There is nothing Most people can say about race that won't be construed as racist on some level, even if that person isn't.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Race is nothing but a bs term created to separate people.

If race was something of a fact then why do all countries disagree on how many races there are and who are apart of what race.

In the US we seem to block everybody into 4 races black, white, mestizo, Asian. Brazil has over a 100 different races.

If you look at the actual places that are included in the regions where those races come from the people are different.

Africa a person from Ethiopia, Namibia, Ghana are all different races some are pygmies others are very tall and they all look completely different. Get a person from Western Africa, a person from Eastern Africa and another from Southern Africa they don't look alike at all. Go to Africa and call a person from Uganda a Kenyan see what happens. The problem with Africa is when it was colonized they just grouped people together with no regard to the tribes, races and elasticities there, that's why many places have civil wars within them.

Americas Inuits, the different tribes that lived in present day US, Mayans, people from up in the Andes, Amazon etc.

If you go to southern Mexico near the Guatemalan border those people don't look like anybody else in Mexico they never mixed with Europeans or Africans there basically descendants of the Mayans who survived after the collapse of the civilization. Spain never really went there they just planted a flag saying this is our land and the natives didn't even know about them on the pacific side of North and South America they basically just stayed on the Caribbean side and on the coast didn't really venture into the jungles and forest.

Oceania everybody over there is a separate race but lots of them get classified as black due to skin color when they have less connection to Africa than Europeans

Europe
People from Scandinavia, Mediterranean don't look similar at all how are they the same race.

The Basque people in Spain they look nothing like any other group for hundreds of miles around there.

I looked at some old book and it perfectly said people from the Mediterranean areas aren't white somehow they along with Arabs, Turks got added to the white race.

British Isles everybody that is a native isn't of Anglo or Saxon descent some people are Celts, Welsh etc. The Anglo's and Saxons didn't kicked everybody out they just forced them to certain parts of the islands (Wales, Ireland)

We either have one race human or we have 1000's that is the only way to put it because all the people on earth can not fit into the 4 categories we use now.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by jatsc]

[edit on 20-2-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here are some statistics and comments from various sources!

While African Americans comprise 12% of the U.S. population, 45% of all murder victims in 2002 were African American, 91% of whom were killed by African Americans. Nationally, homicide is the leading cause of death for black men and second leading cause of death for black women ages 15-24. www.hhscenter.org...

www.ojp.usdoj.gov...

check the above site for more, they only go to 05 but the BOJ keeps these records.

[edit on 2/20/2009 by redhead57]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

African American is not a race

People that fall into the African American group have nothing in common with others in the group a race is a group of people with similar background, culture and traits. Slaves were gathered from Senegal to Angola in no way are people from that large space one race.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Problem is that the race card can be used. I remember one day on the bus in high school, we stopped at a stop and saw a guy in the neighborhood apartment complex that we all knew getting arrested. We also all knew he dealt drugs. But the black females on teh bus started yelling that he was only getting arrested because he was a black man. Someone said: well the officers are black too. She paused, well it is only because they working for the man!

No one can win.

I had a friend get reprimanded because some AA collegeaus of her were talking about a holiday picnic(memorial day, always a big picnic day) She asked them innocently if if they had chicken, watermelon and macaroni salad, They were completely offended and filed a complaint. Because for some reason, AA people have a monopoly on a menu. Guess what white folks have at a picnic? That is the only reason she said it. Even if she did mean, its food, wtf cares?
If these things were not at a picnic, I would be sorely dissappointed.

But to take a third view, what if she was just trying to find a way into the conversation? Then she was chastised and ostracized for trying to get along and understand a culture.

Really, is it a bad thing to be known for food?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I avoid conversations that I have no interest in, nothing more or less.

I am English, Irish, Italian and Native American.
Rarely does it come up in conversation although I am very tall and my skin is somewhat red, except the occasional comment that “Eagan tans really well”.

I don't get offended by a casual slang conversation or descript, but I can be enraged if someone is intentionally trying to piss me off, but most people aren't that stupid unless they're looking for a fight. To which, in my younger days, I have been known to oblige.

I was brought up by respectable and intelligent people who in turn taught me to respect others. I was brought up to appreciate the differences in people. My grandmother once told me, "there is only one race of people, the human race".

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jatsc

I mostly agree with you, jatsc.
Having lived in Ethiopia, I am aware of the great differences there are between what we call "black people".
There are as much (sometimes even more) differences between an Abyssinian and a Chankella (considered as "a race of slaves by the first) than between a Swedish and a Sicilian.

The problem for the blacks in the US is that they have lost their roots.
They can only refer to their blackness when they try to identify themselves.
Someone could distinguish beyond them the descendants of such or such sub-race ... But this has been lost. They are black, period.

Such problem arouses also among the whites in the US : most of them are loosing their roots. Which sub-race is the white whose one grand-father was Irish, one Italian, one of the grand-mother german, the other French ?
He is White, period.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mxyztplk

That or people are just sick an tired of it. If your white no matter what way you go on this your a racist. If your black an agree with white people your a sell out.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
oh, race threads... I usually avoid these types of conversations (oh no did I just become a statistic? )

But seriously, I don't hate blacks, I don't hate hispanics, or asians, or even those crazy canadians. But the double standard concerning race that we white people face on a daily basis is something that cannot be denied.

Racism is something that will never be defeated because it is not a problem with the collective, it's a problem with the individual. I will not deny that because you are black a cop might pull you over for that reason alone. I will not deny that some people just don't like black people. Who gives a crap? Do you really think I care if some ignorant black guy calls me a "c-word"? So why should any respectable black man give a rats patoot that some ignorant white dude called him a "n-word". They are just words and only you can give them power over you.

Racism officially dies when people stop giving it power over them.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I just want everyone here to know I am white, powerful, rich, and love the Cosby Show.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

Who doesn't love the Cosby Show?

second line

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If I don't know you then I don't trust you, doesn't matter if you are black white yellow or green, I will have my views on you as I'm sure you will have on me, does this make me racist!!!

My neighbour is from Pakistan and we talk everyday, just normal stuff and some gossip, doesn't matter who or what we talk about we have our own views and one thing for certain colour or race does not enter the conversation, this is because we are just rambling on about people, you , me , him and whoever, just people.

For the record I'm a White English male, I don't hold back on what I say and do not class myself has racist, I tend to find in the UK our government bend over so far they could kiss their own...........you know, just to appease any other nationality and accuse "the white people" of been racist, and by this you tend to see most whiteys (ooh racism against whites there) tend to steer clear of such subjects nowadays otherwise someone from the PC Brigade will be on their back.

The only racists I see are those who play the racism card.

Wolfie

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm a white kid who grew up around Detroit, and some of my black and latino friends from back home were the coolest, most down to earth people i've ever met. We would talk about all kinds of stuff, what kind of foods we all ate and things of that nature....what kind of family gatherings we would have. Some of them would jokingly call me a cracker, or make fun of white people and macaroni and cheese, so i'd return fire with one of the well-known stereotypes, like fried chicken for instance....we had fun with it. You really begin to realize that we have far more similarities than differences, no matter the color, shape, size, etc. Some of my Mexican friends here in Phoenix are hilarious, they'll bring burritos and all kinds of dishes that I don't dare attempt pronouncing to work, and then make fun of the way that i eat it, lol. It's good to share your heritage with others....a pity mine is so diluted, but it's all good. I agree with one of the last posts, that the real racists are the ones who play the race card, or who get violent for no discernible reason...and there are unfortunately plenty of them out there.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExistenceUnknown
reply to post by NightVision

Who doesn't love the Cosby Show?

Black people....

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jatsc

Actually no.

And I think pretending all races are the same is actually dangerous. yes we are all HUMAN. But there are slight genetic differences between race, and in the medical view, it does need to be seperated.

There are just diseases and genetic diseases inherited that is race specific.

Doesn't make anyone special, just like reproductive organs are different on men and women.

But to pretend there are not any differences takes away from the fact there there might be diseases a race can suffer, and ignore them.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ExistenceUnknown

LOL I can't stand the Cosby show.

I am more of a Rosanne or King of Queens type.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join