It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Atlantis?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Why do you believe that it is not plausible to find atlantis?

That is not the case at all, though since I am of Greek origin I want to be there.

Seriously, it would be great if Atlantis was found anywhere. But you called yourself a skeptic and as a skeptic there are numerous steps between a few lines on a digital map and the declaration of the finding of Atlantis.

Don't you think?

Oh, to me, being a skeptic means not being biased toward any particular outcome. Believing all things are possible, but not accepting any of them until proper proof is provided.

I'm an equal opportunity skeptic. I'm skeptical of skeptics who say things like "That could never happen"

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by b4tee4
yeh, wow, and i checked the scale on the bottom left

at about 150 X 120 kilometers, that is one Big City!
or 100 X 80 miles, or so....

i read somewhere a few years ago and then saw two pics,
one of a map, not the piri reis map, another one
a map found in 1500's or so
and then an image of antarctica without the ice
almost identical, peninsulas and all

i cannot find that picture of that map, anyone here know what i am talking about?

I know exactly what your talking about I've seen it also in truth Antarctica does fit the description perfectly well except for location, then you have the question of if Atlantis was flooded and submerged what happen to the water depending on if the dates are right or if they are wrong the water had to go somewhere and it freezing on top is possible but i doubt that would happen in the most 12000 years.

Another thing is where were the pillars of Hercules. Are the straights of Gibraltar or are they something else. Was there idea of west the same as ours, could it have been like how Egypt is Lower Egypt is in the north and Upper Egypt is in the south.

Was Africa considered south by Plato because depending on what you consider north, south, west & east Antarctica, India, South America, Australia could all be Atlantis.

Plato never said Atlantis was due west so if you look it it that way and consider it in the Atlantic it could be South America, North America, Antarctica or they considered all the oceans as one even Australia because technically there all west but some maybe southwest, due west, northwest etc.

Atlantis could be one of the continents; would they consider a continent an island; because if so every continent has a chance of being it.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Just to stir up the pot...

Here is a google shot of the City of UR... some parts are already uncovered but look at the way the lines look on the buried stuff

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Actually, Plato said that Atlantis was an island that "which was larger than Libya and Asia (Minor) together." So according to Plato, this are probably wouldn't have been big enough. He called it a "continent," but he might have been using a little creative license.

I think that Atlantis was supposed to have to about 200 km in size, which is equivalent to around 125 miles. These numbers are according to Proclus' commentary on Timaeus. So these markings would actually be in the ballpark as far as size, if you take Proclus' word for it.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by frailty]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by frailty

Indeed... Very astutely put.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon!

I'm just sayin' ;-)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
This is very interesting, however the scale of the grid at 108 miles kind of defeats it as being an ancient city, as the scale alone is irrational to think a city of that scale could exist at that time.

Also, it's to perfectly rectangular... sonar lines does make the explanation more believable... after all... this is digital imagery, not the real thing we are seeing... all sorts of artifacts man made can exist.

A very cool google artifact, but not Atlantis, at least... not at that scale.

Actually all you said above is exactly the reason why it CAN be Atlantis
huge, rectangular, man made... and... what time?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
If you have ever read Edgar Cayce on Atlantis, you know that he predicted a day in the future when part of Atlantis' far outer border would be found and on that day the Bimini Road was discovered off Andros Island.

The area in this find in this thread isn't far from Bimini - when I say isn't far I mean it isn't far if you remember that Cayce had said Atlantis wasn't just a city but a nation unto itself and was supposedly the size of a continent. What this find may be is a port city that sank when the Atlantean catyclism happened.

If you go this link and zoom out to where you can see the left side of Africa and the right side of the U.S. you can easily see what might cause an entire continent to vanish - there's a massive fault line running straight through the mountainous region underwater in a north/south direction.

Oddly enough, I believe what Cayce was seeing in his trance's to be genuine.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by sos37]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I went to your Google map link, and noticed the scale is way different than for the Google image I captured from my PC client view ...

What gives with this ?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Troubling, Edgar Cayce said we would find Atlantis before the end of the world

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Interestingly enough that section in the Atlantic is the location of Atlantis as outline by Ignatius L. Donnelly in his book Atlantis: the Antediluvian World. Here is map that was contained in that work:

en.wikipedia.org...:Atlantis_map_1882.jpg

This map location is very similar to Kircher's map from Mundus Subterraneus (south is up):

en.wikipedia.org...:Athanasius_Kircher%27s_Atlantis.gif

I agree with Cayce on some things, especially some of his diet and spiritual philosophies and ideals. One of the best lines ever is from him: "Through prayer we speak to God. In meditation, God speaks to us." Funny enough, I don't agree with many of his prophesies.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

sorry all, the scale is completely wrong !
how big would those buidings be ?
not to mention the roads

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
If this thing is as large as some state, then surely a survey would have been done. '180 mile' super city under water off the coast of Africa and no one notices until someone goes on google earth?

Atlantis is possible- Santorini for example:
www.decadevolcano.net...

But just lying off the coast and on shipping lanes:
www.sciencemag.org...

In my opinion I don't think it is.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Even if this was actually Atlantis you you guys really think it would get out to the 'public' people. No this would be covered up before you could say Atlantis! It's that simple guys.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I search under Atlantis found, and I found three more news service are getting on the band wagon.

Anyway. What you see on the map, are what you would call canals. They are not roads or streets, they are canals.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

If you go this link and zoom out to where you can see the left side of Africa and the right side of the U.S. you can easily see what might cause an entire continent to vanish - there's a massive fault line running straight through the mountainous region underwater in a north/south direction.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by sos37]

that massive fault line must have been easily seen before the sinking and could be possibly the reason for its dis appearance? so the question is why did they built their civilization where the risk is greatest? they're supposed to be an advance race are they?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This is a surprisingly accurate placement, considering Plato's writings.

For those who think 100 miles is too big, please see the Great Wall of China (4000 miles long) and my signature. Just because you couldn't do it, doesn't mean it wasn't done.

I suspect that Atlantis may have been based on a prosperous historical society, but they won't have any of the tin-foil-hate brigade's flying cars or laser beams, or whatnot.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
reply to post by frailty

Awesome.

I wonder how long before history is rewritten?

Seems soon.

wZn

One could only hope!
Lord knows I'm sick and tired of being spoon fed this garbage.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Seemingly in the right area (Plato) but a) it the layout is supposed to be concentric circles (Plato) not rectangular and b) it seems to be a very low topogrpahical area under the sea for having once been above the surface.
I recall some symmetrical (as if man-made) stone found near Bimini years ago that also suggested that Atlantis was there but those were later shown to be natural formations as I recall (similar to a "structure" found off the coast of Japan). This needs to be checked out. Some of the best other theories on the location of Atlantis (not well supported by Plato however) are that it was a city in South America or in the continent of Antartica (but that one would have to have preceded the last pole shift).
right, atlantis purportedly was a circular city...maybe this one is its suburb?

nah, its probably one of those danged underwater alien bases like the one near cuba

[edit on 20-2-2009 by reject]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The Telegraph

It's made it into The Telegraph too.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join