It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Atlantis?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Situated in an area called the Madeira Abyssal Plane, the grid was spotted by aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford as he browsed through Google Ocean.

So, the source is a digital map pointing to a location 3.5miles down close to the middle of the atlantic ocean. The Sun is well known for having a loose relationship with the truth, so I guess it comes down to how much people trust Google.

I call bs. Sorry, but this is just more sand in the eyes of people to distract from more important issues imho.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

... it's an abandoned undersea ufo base - it was only a few fathoms down before the last polar shift...

posted by: toronstganymede

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

... it's an abandoned undersea ufo base - it was only a few fathoms down before the last polar shift...

posted by: toronstganymede

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
After looking on Google Earth of this location and surrounding area imled to believe that its a " Divers " hot spot.

Seeing as this is the case, why havent they found this " anomoly " or anything to relate to " Atlantis "?

Divers have been exploring this area for years but yet have never found anything?

Strange dont ya think?

IP

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
If this exists it'll turn science on it's head, and they tend to prevent that sort of thing. The Pyramids are far older than they say, which is why they haven't been properly explored for decades using the latest ground penetrating radar etc. Ancient high technology if found everywhere, but the sneerers and disinfo brigade soon pounce on it.

Science resists being proved wrong. If this is Atlantis the news will quietly disappear. I'd put money on it.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Apparently the Daily Mail say it's not Atlantis.

It was the picture that seemed to show the remains of the mythical lost city of Atlantis, more than 9000 years after it sank beneath the ocean's waves.

An apparently amazing photo on the front page of The Sun this morning appeared to show a grid system etched onto the ocean bed about 620 miles off the west coast of Africa.

But today it was revealed that the photo, taken using Google's latest gadget, Google Ocean, is nothing more than thin bands of sonar data collected by boats mapping the ocean floor.

A spokeswoman said: 'It's true that many amazing discoveries have been made in Google Earth including a pristine forest in Mozambique that is home to previously unknown species and the remains of an Ancient Roman villa.

'In this case, however, what users are seeing is an artefact of the data collection process.

'Bathymetric (or sea floor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea floor.

'The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data.

'The fact that there are blank spots between each of these lines is a sign of how little
we really know about the world's oceans.'

Daily Mail

Although it is the Daily Mail. It's about as reliable as The Sun (i.e. not very).

[edit on 20/2/09 by Ste2652]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have to say I don't know a great deal about Atlantis, but browsed through this thread before:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Skyfloating and the posters on the thread did a good job on collecting alot of good information on the subject, it would be good to know their opinion.

My opinion is that this is not Atlantis.

1) Because the image just looks too fake (like the previous posts mentioned about the sonar etc.)

2) If whoever discovered it really thought it was the real deal, I doubt the first place you would hear about it would be in a tabloid newspaper, the Sun at that. If we would ever hear about it at all.

3) It seems like an easy way out. People and associations have been searching for this for years, dedicating their lives to it, and not even a week in from google starting a new service it is found!? Seems more like wishfull thinking.

My advice (as I say just my opinion) is that if you are really intrested in the subject do some good reasearch and come to your own conclusions, don't take this story at face value.

I realy wish it was though! I hope one day it is found, but sadly when it is anything that remains will be immediatly confiscated for research by some government or other. The US would probably find a reson to claim it as it's own and take it through force (Sorry, Im Not Against the US people just the government!)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Sorry if someone has posted this, found this... seems someone wanted to discredit it pretty quickly..

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by frailty

Exciting possibilities for speculation and investigation with this image. Viewing it reminded me of an image recorded by the Mariner 9 spacecraft (image # DAS 8044333):

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

This image (so-called Inca City) could be a near clone for the "Atlantis" image. NASA's typical "no-brainer" explanation is sand dunes.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The square form of it is interesting. However some of the lines really look natural and chances are its just a natural formation of some kind.

I tried to draw a map of the lines that do not look natural and there could be something there. The lines are indent and the space between them is elevated. You can clearly see what looks like a long ramp and some square shaped plateaus.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by frailty

I didn't want to believe that these were sonar lines, because they didn't resemble any of the other pics of sonar.
Then I saw that in the lower left of the picture, the lines seem to align on both sides of a hill-like anomaly, which suggests maybe it is sonar from above.
Then I realized that in the top portion of the picture there is one line that actually follows a curved path along the base of some hills, which would suggest something physically present at that same level.
So now what? I am still open about what this could be.
I agree that it does seem like there is a lot of pressure to explain this thing away quickly. They are not doing a good job IMO.
I don't think the truth is out yet.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I am not 100% on this being "the" Atlantis due to the fact that it is rectangular as opposed to the description given by Plato of it being circular.

Using "Atlantis" as an umbrella term for ancient civilisations and then, yes, this could be an Atlantis.

So far, I am not convinced that this is natural and I am not convinced that this is sonar related.

Will be keeping an eye on this

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Look, if people don't want to buy into the perfectly rational explanation that has been given, fine. I really didn't expect this thread to still be alive after last night. Seeing that it is, indeed, alive and well came as quite a shock to me!
I'm sure everyone at Scripps is having themselves a good laugh.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
Just wanted to mention that info from The Sun should be taken with a grain of salt..

If true, it is interesting though...I'm no Atlantean expert though so maybe someone who knows their mythology could stop in here and give their 2 cents.

I notice your not from the UK..maybe you have lived here (UK)..who cares.

Your info about the Sun Newspaper can be cast on any tabloid newspaper....however I think you are wrong and they deserve credit.

The Sun Newspaper is sold to millions across the UK single day except Sunday.

They are the only paper that has recently start to bring ATS type topics to the general public. (ufo's mainly)

Regardless of wether this is Atlantis or not....this paper gets non ATS type thinkers thinking!!!!

Thats alone makes more people ask questions...talk...communicate between each other.....this all helps to eventually our governments allowing some type of disclosure.......

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The mir2 could soon get the answers you seek

MIR deep ocean expeditions

James Cameron used these guys for his Titanic expedition

Later, working under U.S. filmmaker James Cameron for the film Titanic, eight HMI lights were installed on the MIR-2, which were used during long dives (15 to 20 hours), made possible because of the high capacity of MIRs' batteries.

source and more info

Now you just need the funds to hire these guys to get an answer one way or another

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoProvider
After looking on Google Earth of this location and surrounding area imled to believe that its a " Divers " hot spot.

Seeing as this is the case, why havent they found this " anomoly " or anything to relate to " Atlantis "?

Divers have been exploring this area for years but yet have never found anything?

Strange dont ya think?

IP

Uh, I don't think divers can go down 3.5 miles without a special deep submersible sub. So it doesn't seem likely that this area has been as well explored as you suggest.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by frailty

Although I tend to believe that most myths have roots in reality, I wouldn't take too much stock in anything coming from the Sun as it's your typical gossip rag like the Enquirer, Examiner, etc...

Has anyone found this on google earth yet?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

In 1995, James Cameron brought the next technical innovation to deep-ocean filming. A traditional film camera was designed for pressure housing, which enabled it to work up to 6,000 meters' depth.

link

6000 meters is way beyond the deth of this site,the Atlantis site is 3.5 miles depth.

Edit to fix link

[edit on 20/2/2009 by kuhl]

[edit on 20/2/2009 by kuhl]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by frailty

It's just a fault area. There are other rectangular fault area's in that region. It's nothing more than a geologic formation.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
just wanted to post some info.

I downloaded google earth and this is a real photo.

Here are the coords.

31°19'23.17"N
31°19'23.17"N

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join