page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Is this Atlantis?

www.thesun.co.uk

THIS is the amazing image which could show the fabled sunken city of Atlantis.

It shows a perfect rectangle the size of Wales lying on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean nearly 3½ miles down.

A host of criss-crossing lines, looking like a map of a vast metropolis, are enclosed by the boundary.

The site lies 620 miles off the west coast of Africa near the Canary Islands — a location for Atlantis seemingly suggested by the ancient philosopher Plato.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
"Fascinating!" A perfect rectangle off the coast of Africa, and in the vicinity of where many people thought it would be, including Plato. They could be on to something.

Whatever it is, it is definitely interesting to find something that big ("about the size of Wales")
and symmetrical in that location.

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-2-2009 by frailty]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Wow I just came across that article away from ATS and when I got here there this thread was! That's kinda of a groovy pic, huh? I wonder what it is?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Interesting. We should definitely check it out.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by frailty

Awesome.

I wonder how long before history is rewritten?

Seems soon.

wZn

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Just wanted to mention that info from The Sun should be taken with a grain of salt..

If true, it is interesting though...I'm no Atlantean expert though so maybe someone who knows their mythology could stop in here and give their 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
That photograph looks very promising

Actually finding Atlantis would certainly answer a
plethora of questions!

Nice find

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yeah i have to second the fact that THE SUN wrote this. They will write just about anything for you to read it, i think i saw something once saying the pope was a reptile. . .

But yes plato did say it would be in the area, and he was told by Socrates, and HE said it was fact, not legend. But it is too small to be the whole Atlantis, and how have we not stumbled upon it if it is so close to the canary islands? Just saying, i know edger cayce said it would rise, but could this really be it? And what about bimini road?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

This definitely is awesome. I am presuming that it is a man-made, because of its symmetry. Atlantis or not, research of this should shed some light on past civilizations, which would be amazing. Hopefully, some research will be done in this area.

In agreement with many here, I wish this came from some other source the The Sun. I know of their lackluster rep. I am downloading Google Earth now to see if I can verify the main image.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Could well be the case, did anyone read the side article from platos dialogues:

THIS exciting discovery on Google Ocean backs up the theories about Atlantis I outlined in my dialogues Timaeus and Critias back in 350BC.
Plato ... theory

Plato ... theory

I described a �dense wall� surrounding the great city, which is just like the rectangular perimeter of the seabed image.

And I told of a complex network of streets and buildings — again similar to the grid in the picture.

I learned about Atlantis from Egyptian priests, whose records of the lost civilisation were scrawled in their ancient temples.

I said it was located in the �real sea�. Some scholars have interpreted this as a reference to the Atlantic. Others think it’s the Mediterranean. But I’m not letting on just yet.

Source:
The Sun - Is This Atlantis?

Goo google earth, whats the chances that this will be blotted, smudged, overlayed, and essentially dissapear?

Looks sorta like a 2D barcode.

S&F

[edit on 19/2/2009 by phushion]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Doubtful. Although the images are real and do exist in Google Earth there are similar symmetrical markings off the coast of Ireland as well. Like many others have said, the source is creative.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I haven't been able to find another source of this information, but there may be something somewhere. I'll keep looking.

It would be hilariously ironic if this did turn out to be Atlantis and was found via Google Ocean! All these manned expeditions throughout history, and Google Ocean spots it.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Seemingly in the right area (Plato) but a) it the layout is supposed to be concentric circles (Plato) not rectangular and b) it seems to be a very low topogrpahical area under the sea for having once been above the surface.
I recall some symmetrical (as if man-made) stone found near Bimini years ago that also suggested that Atlantis was there but those were later shown to be natural formations as I recall (similar to a "structure" found off the coast of Japan). This needs to be checked out. Some of the best other theories on the location of Atlantis (not well supported by Plato however) are that it was a city in South America or in the continent of Antartica (but that one would have to have preceded the last pole shift).

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I just verified the image in google...

just go to google.com, click on "maps", select "satellite", and scroll around to the area near the canary islands.
You don't need google earth to see it.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Thanks for the info!

Can anybody find another news source stating that this could be Atlantis, though? I'm interested in what it could be, Atlantis or not.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Good to know. I just found on Google Earth 5.0 as well. Here's my image:

img18.imageshack.us...

I also found a German video, which was posted on January 30th. Here's a link to that. If I knew German I would go onto the globezoom.info website to find out if they had more info about this. Here's the link to the German video:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I found it, guys.
Check it:
31°39'19.26"N
22°47'3.79"W
To the left of those coordinates...

I mean, who's to know what it really is? But it is there on google earth. Make sure you have 5.0.
Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Something that I always remember from the old atlantean myths and tales is that it was supposed to be a huge island, and would have some concentric circles around it... I don't think it would be so close to land like this...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Here is an URL anyone can click on to get to it...

here

[edit on 19-2-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I will try to find some evidence to support the following statement but I believe this is a rather common artifact on google earth/maps. I remember the same kind of thing showing up across random lakes and it was explained away as a overlay error.

I'm not saying conclusively that this what is happening here, I am just saying that this sort of thing as shown up before and there was nothing more than technical glitch behind it.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join