It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wasn't aware George Lucas made a Orwellian movie in 1971 (THX 1138)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
www.imdb.com...
^^^Watch the Trailer^^^

Wow, where the hell have I been?

THX 1138
www.imdb.com...

George Lucas adapted this, his first film, from a short he made at University. THX 1138, LUH 3417, and SEN 5241 attempt to escape from a futuristic society located beneath the surface of the Earth. The society has outlawed sex, with drugs used to control the people. THX 1138 stops taking the drugs, and gets LUH 3417 pregnant. They are both thrown in jail where they meet SEN 5241 and start to plan their escape. Written by Colin Tinto [[email protected]]

The human race has been relocated to a underground city located beneath the Earth's surface. In the underground city, the population are entertained by holographic TV which broadcasts sex and violence and robotic police force enforces the law. In the underground city, society controls all life, all citizens are drugged to control their emotions and their behavior and sex is a crime. Factory worker THX-1138 stops taking the drugs and he breaks the law when he finds himself falling in love with his room-mate LUH 3417 and is imprisoned when LUH 3417 is pregnant. Escaping from jail with illegal programmer SEN 5241 and a hologram named SRT, THX 1138 goes in search of LUH 3417 and escape to the surface, whilst being pursued by robotic policemen.

I realize Star Wars was a Orwellian type of movie... except it was more about a NGO (New Galactic Order).

Has anybody seen this movie? Look at the damn movie poster

Is life gonna imitate art? I certainly hope not.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

DUH...it's a "Classic"...
How old are you Sonny?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I feel really embarrased .... I'm a decent age.

Around 30 years old.

Should I be ashamed of myself for not knowing that this movie existed?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
C'mon man, i'm 3 years younger than you and i've seen the dang film a couple of times!

It's pretty good, kind of reminds me of Brave New World and a little Logan's Run in certain aspects.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mpriebe81]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
No need to be ashamed, it's rather a cult thing. Like Logan's Run... Now if you haven't heard of Logan's Run, be ashamed... Kidding of course

Seriously, I think THX1138 is genuinely a brilliant film. A must-see for sci-fi fans that appreciate a darker twist.

edit: Woah... two posts about Logan's Run at the same moment? Time for the fiery ritual of Carousel? Renew! Renew! Renew!

[edit on 17-2-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The pacing is mind numbingly slow, but over all it fits in with several films from the timeframe and genre: Logan's Run, Bladerunner, Fahrenheit 451, 2001.

Fortunately Lucas became a bit better at telling a story, yet he always throws a reference out there in different films and projects.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I was wondering about mentioning the 451 & 2001...good catch...

[edit on 2/17/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Yessss, I hadn't thought about it but there is especially
a Fahrenheit 451 feel to it as well, especially the authorities in both movies...what with the suits and all, very similar!! Both wonderful movies.

link   
The first time I saw that movie, I was tripping pretty heavy on acid and did not understand it much. The second time I saw the movie, I made sure I was straight and I still did not understand it very much.

link   
THX 1138 is an excellent film. It is based on his early college film of the same title, and reflects everything he did in the college film version, but of course with far better storyline and better equipment to work with!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
THX 1138 is an excellent film. It is based on his early college film of the same title, and reflects everything he did in the college film version, but of course with far better storyline and better equipment to work with!

Cheers!!!!

but you have to understand...

teh college version of his.. was adopted off of someone ELSES original idea /screenplay.

he didn't make it up / write it.. someone else did.

however he did a gread job at directing and putting together the film.

he did an update to it as well with newer effects.
-

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Yup, while it's definitely a slow paced movie it is still a must see. Like everybody said it's somewhat like bladerunner, Logans run, etc. Throw in 1984 to boot. It was Lucas's first film, and I think it was his favorite. He alluded to this movie throughout his career. Things like THX sound, and if I recall the stormtroopers from Star Wars also were designated with THX ###'s for identification. And in the prison block Luke says to the prison guard that Chewie was a transfer from cell block '1138'

[edit on 17-2-2009 by bronco73]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I could have added A Clockwork Orange, but felt that it was a few steps above the others in pacing and polish.

But if you like ungodly slow sci-fi, the original Solaris should do it for you. Good film for 1972 and Russian production, but my god the pacing.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by RFBurns

Cheers!!!!

teh college version of his.. was adopted off of someone ELSES original idea /screenplay.

-

I thought it was written by both George Lucas and Walter Murch.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
A Clockwork Orange..."CLASSIC"

what's up now reminds me of "Soylent Green"

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Solyent Green is PEOPLE!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

-

I am aware of that. But GL was the one who put that idea and screenplay onto film.

Both are excellent films. Everyone should get them!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bronco73

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Solyent Green is PEOPLE!!!!

I hear that soylent green is french fries.

And I guarantee that nobody will get that.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'd watch Robert Duvall pick his nose for two hours so the pace doesn't bother me.

I highly recommend it.

And for anybody paying close attention, the license plate on the yellow '32 Ford Coupe in American Graffiti is THX1138.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

I'm sure also...read the ingredients of stuff you eat...BHA/BHT...blah blah blah...producer speak for "raw protein" ie:stuff...people? hard to tell anymore...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join