It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wasn't aware George Lucas made a Orwellian movie in 1971 (THX 1138)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have quite a bit of dvds.

I have the special edition 2 dvd set of THX1138, I will check the second disc as soon as I have a new projector lamp.

It's next here to my other classic dvd titles as soylent green, network, and citizen kane

It's indeed a good movie, too bad Lucas and Spielberg are no longer qualified to make movies imo after Indiana Jones and the encounters of the third kind...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

The 2 disc special edition of THX 1138 is the one that has GL's college version of the film. I have it and yes its on the 2nd disc.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
if you look closely at the number plate of the custom car at the beginning of the new Indiana Jones film it reads THX1138 and that car also happens to be from the film American graffiti with the number plate THX1138 also pops up in star wars as the designation of the stormtrooper outfit han solo is wearing.....damn i need to get out more!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neilc1972
if you look closely at the number plate of the custom car at the beginning of the new Indiana Jones film it reads THX1138 and that car also happens to be from the film American graffiti with the number plate THX1138 also pops up in star wars as the designation of the stormtrooper outfit han solo is wearing.....damn i need to get out more!

Yep. I am amazed that this isnt well known, it was GL's trademark, to which is also where his THX sound label comes from...minus the 1138 of course, but THX nonetheless.

Cheers!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I thought somebody said Lucas didn't write THX 1138. Of course he did though, so I don't know what I saw posted here.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
C'mon man, i'm 3 years younger than you and i've seen the dang film a couple of times!

It's pretty good, kind of reminds me of Brave New World and a little Logan's Run in certain aspects.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mpriebe81]

I have not heard of either of those movies... AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

We should compile a list of all the Orwellian movies ever made.

I discovered another one...

BRAZIL (1985)

directed by Terry Gilliam (12 Monkeys)

www.imdb.com...

BTW... I did a little research on Logans Run

is this in the movie? WTF?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I thought somebody said Lucas didn't write THX 1138. Of course he did though, so I don't know what I saw posted here.

GL did not write the original script and screenplay, he re-wrote it based on the original, then put it on film for his college project to earn his degree in filmmaking.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
My dad has the movie, I haven't seen it personally but is it anything like Anthem by Ayn Rand? The number-names sound familiar. Anyway I guess I'll read up about it, but from what some have said it sounds sort of familiar.

Edit - Well I guess much less futuristic but the extremely controlled society and extreme persecution stuff. But I have no idea about Orwellian movies.. haha

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Boogley]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

That is indeed in the movie. The ritual of Carousel which all must undergo upon reaching the age of 30. If you're 'chosen' you renew. Otherwise, crispy critter. Guess what? No one renews

A friend of mine bought me the DVD when I turned 30. Great movie, really. Very old school effects, and quite surprising that it came out only a year before Star Wars. Really effectively highlights what Lucas and ILM did for FX back then.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

How could you NOT have known about "THX1138"????

Every good Science Fiction fan is well aware of this movie....oh, maybe it's an age difference.....

Check out "Forbidden Planet"....said to have helped inspire Gene Roddenberry. For its day, it was quite good...(laughable, by our standards now...)but, pay attention to the story.

EDIT....seems I'm the 'old fart' on this particular message board....

[edit on 2/17/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Oh come on people get with it

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

EDIT....seems I'm the 'old fart' on this particular message board....

I wouldnt call myself an old fart but I was around when Gene was writting for Dragnet.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
dawg you're just seeing this?

come on man

wow

anyway yea Lucas wasted his talents on Star Wars....

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

OK, Burns....cue the proverbial 'spit-take'!!!

(just for the second line....:cool

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I hear that soylent green is french fries.

And I guarantee that nobody will get that.

Oh the french frie smell from the liposuction doctor who turned his waste lipo fat into fuel????

THX good movie. Not as good as some but good.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
For your viewing pleasure for those who are not older than dirt.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, not only in movies but GL has alluded it in a few of his videogame franchises.
What my avatar is a Clone Commando from Lucasarts Star Wars Republic Commando known by the designation number of RC-1138, nicknamed Boss.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by spec_ops_wannabe]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
For your viewing pleasure for those who are not older than dirt.

It's not a case of having to be 'older than dirt' to have seen this film or at least be aware of it. I'm 40-years-old and saw it in the early 1980s - quite a while after it was released. Obviously, not everyone is as old as me (which isn't that old) but at the same time, I'd have thought anyone with an interest in either dystopian science fiction, big name directors or Big Brother-type conspiracies would be aware of this. The same can be said for Brave New World, Logan's Run (I loved the series when I was younger, as well as the film), Soylent Green and so on.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029

We should compile a list of all the Orwellian movies ever made.

I discovered another one...

BRAZIL (1985)

directed by Terry Gilliam (12 Monkeys)

www.imdb.com...

12 monkeys sis easily in the list too(somehow they connects)

equilibrium is an amazingly freaky one -> www.imdb.com...

(edit:i deeply need to re-learn how to read)

[edit on 18-2-2009 by ::.mika.::]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I'd have thought anyone with an interest in either dystopian science fiction, big name directors or Big Brother-type conspiracies would be aware of this. The same can be said for Brave New World, Logan's Run

Oh I agree I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi and have watched everything from B movies from the 50s to all the latest including all the garbage in between. I must admit the first time I saw THX I was not impressed then many years later I re watched it and thought WOW!

So I guess for some it all depends on the state of mind they are in.

At first I thought The Island was a THX remake but I'm glad it wasn't just a good Orwellian type movie If you havent seen it your in for one hell of a ride

[edit on 18-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join