It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! Lock Bumping and Bump Keys (URGENT)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well, here's one option:

www.abclockstore.com...

$ 88.99
For one lock. That's better than $150.00

Still searching.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to find any truly cost effective means of beefing up security, its one of those things where you get what you pay for. Quality doors and locks cost more than the average junk that people install, always have and always will. While you could just increase the number of locks on the door itself that also leads to the problem of hindering escape in situations such as fire.

You might also want to determine which scenario is a higher priority to defend against: intrusion while the residence is occupied, or a break in when nobody is home. There are a lot more options for defending against breeches while you are home; you can get door and window bars which have to be removed or knocked out before opening. Door chains also help to hinder any intruder however as people have already stated repeatedly nothing really is going to completely stop an intruder except that which literally stops their heart.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wow you guys catch on quick bump keys have only been around for about a decade. Multiple locks that take different kinds of keys should keep you safe. But if someone really wants to get into your house they will.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

No worries while I am home, says 9mm. It's when I am away.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Maybe try to find a pic of what they look like on the inside and see if you can design a stopper piece.
Look at how it works and design the stopper.
Or you can call a locksmith and just ask him how to stop it...they might have a better idea then we do.
Sorry to add but I have a feeling they will just say to buy the good lock and then try to sell you one.
Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A few things - Lock bumping is as old as locks! This is so far way from new crooks and thieves have known about this forever. By the way, there are even faster ways into your home than stupid lock bumping.

Solutions - bad news... there are none. Anyone who wants in is getting in... period! There are things you can do to "Deter" would be criminals though. The first would be to have security lighting around you home. Funny thing about criminals - they don't want to be seen. Keep entrance ways well lit in the night hours.

Alarm systems and dogs are also deterrents. Criminals don't want to risk tangling with a "Viscious" dog or a loud alarm system that alerts the neighbors, or worse, the police. But be aware, clever criminals have ways of overcoming those too.

Simple internal slide bolt locks, floor tap bolts or chains are also deterrents. After bumping open the lock, the criminal finds the door is still locked - they may determine the target too hardened to bother with further and will likely seek an easier mark.

I have motion activated lights throughout my home. Again, criminals are rather unnerved when illuminated.

Finally, a gun is a great idea as a last line of defense.

The reality is that if someone wants in, they're getting in. They will smash a window, kick in a door or pick a lock. I've seen stories of thieves actually cutting right through the siding and wall to gain entry. The point is that you aren't going to keep someone out if they are determined enough to geet in - not unless you live in a granite block fortress. Create time-consuming deterrents to keep intruders out. Prey on THEIR fears - the fear of being caught or hurt. This how you keep the undesireables out!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Most expensive locks are easier to bump but bump keys only work on one type of lock thats why you should have multiple different locks.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
wow... they reinvented the "lock bumping" ... wow
Everybody used and knew about it for decades.
This news is just a PR

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I see all the people that knew mocking me and all the people that didn't flagging the thread. Thanks a lot. (Said both sarcastically and thankfully to the respective parties.)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

www.statefarm.com...

Have a look there, interestingly enough according to their numbers picking or bumping is very uncommon in breeches of a home and that brute force or prying. Also they make some very good suggestions in lock implementation and advise looking into getting ANSI Grade 1 locks.

link   
reply to post by virraszto

I agree with you the only way to really have security is have a dog and some loaded guns ready. It is rather easy for the knowledgeable thief to get into anything. Code grabbers can grab your garage door code and door locks are rather easy to pick.

From working with housing foreclosure companies and banks I have picked many locks and lockboxes and reykeyed many doorknobs on vacant homes people lock up. After a little practice you can pick some locks in seconds. The funny thing is that usually after a simple rake or 2 the lock will open immediately. Lock pick guns make things easier for the inexperienced. There are many tools that make a thief's job easy. Just get a dog.

LMAO! bump keys have been around for a while.

My personal favorite are auto jigglers though for when I lock myself out of my car....

link   
This appears to be a good time to repeat the saying my Dad has always said.
“Deadbolts only keep honest thieves out”. Same goes with security alarms. If someone really wants in your house they are coming in no matter what.

link   

Man this is very old news on the lock picking forums i frequent. I mean really old. It had been reported by some mainstream media before.

The worrying part is that this technique was being used on high quality medeco locks. Medeco control the key distribution for reasons like this. They have since taken measures to stop this happening on their newer locks.

I should point out that to bump a lock you tend to need the exact key for that model of lock. You cannot for example take a key to a yale lock, grind it down and use it on a medeco, schlage etc.

I should further point out that it is often easier to break down the door than get the right key for the lock. I mean if you have a wooden door and the most expensive lock you can find then it really is simple to just kick down the door. People don't think about security in the right way sadly. To bump any lock you own the bumper, for lack of a better term would need the exact type of key you have.

You really shouldn't worry about this. Oh and just in case you didn't know, if you don't have a bump key you can always pick the damn thing.

EDIT

If you are simply worried about your home then just protecting it will deter most burglars. An alarm that calls you when it goes off is going to be cheaper than changing all your locks. Add to that barrier protection so they can't easily climb around the back, lock up any garage you have so they can't easily access tools. Put up a sign saying you have a dog (even if you don't).

These steps will deter nearly every burglar except either the iditos (who won't be smart enough to get in) and the professionals (who don't bother with peoples houses, unless they're stately homes). Just try and clam down, honestly anyone with the knowledge of lock bumping, picking and security isn't usually stealing from houses. Unless they know there is a considerable prize inside.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

link   
if someone wants into your home bad enough chances are they will,also these alarms are deterrants you can't deter everyone

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

This is the first time I have heard about medecos being able to be bumped.I am going to get a key and give it a shot.
What about the multilocks with the circular cuts on a flat key??If they work for those as well then why the hell am I paying for security locks in the first place.
It might save me from drilling them out.
I might as well just use bubblegum.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My AR-15 is locked-and-loaded and my 9mm is filled with hollow points. I am a light sleeper, brings it on boys! I have more loaded clips than they have brain cells.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

This is the first time I have heard about medecos being able to be bumped.I am going to get a key and give it a shot.
What about the multilocks with the circular cuts on a flat key??If they work for those as well then why the hell am I paying for security locks in the first place.
It might save me from drilling them out.
I might as well just use bubblegum.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by DrumsRfun]

I'm not allowed to advertise other forums apparently but i'm sure someone posted on one about it. Ahh wait it was at defcon

www.podtech.net...

There is a video there of a girl bumping the medeco "unbumpable" lock. I really want to go to defcon next year

When you say circular, do you mean the 7,8 and 9 pin tubular locks? The circular key ones? Because well they're pretty easy to get into, if you havea masterlock then i suggest you bin it. There are special picks designed to open them. They cann't be bumped as far as i'm aware but if we're talking about the same lock then southord make a very nice pick which also decodes the locks and gives you a blank to make copies of.

This isn't secret knowledge by the way, i'm not letting any trade secrets go

EDIT

Sorry for clarity do you mean the locks i'm going on about, or the ones with flat keys and little dimples cut into the key? Thanks.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Ian McLean

I've tried to get those and unless you are a locksmith then they won't sell them to you.

You can find them online.

Here is one but not the make I was looking for.
Pick Gun

I agree with the above in that locks are nothing more than a psychological comfort. In reality anything can be picked, hacked, broken into with time and effort. Just get a dog.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

They are the ones with that slide in the lock in a horizontal way.
They have little dimples in them...mine says multilock.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join