It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! Lock Bumping and Bump Keys (URGENT)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Defcon would be awesome to attend and for the tubular locks there are tubular picks but they are a little pricey. If you have the right tension wrench you can pick them with a regular pickset.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i pity the fool who actually has a mere householders lock!

sometimes the old fashioned ways work best!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Thanks for that I put it in my favs list.
I need one of those as it would make my life easier sometimes.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
hate to say it, but this was old news even a year ago. more and more locks are unbumpable now, so if you're that concerned, just get a new lock.

Lock wont matter much though, seriously, 2-3 whacks with a 2 handed sledge hammer and I'll beat that lock through most doors and open it with a touch.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Ok sounds like a dimple lock. They're pretty secure but yes they can be picked and you may want to look up something called "foil impressioning" which basically gives you a duplicate of the key that fits the lock by using a special technique, some foil and a key with the deepest cuts.

Anyway as i said, higher security locks do give you more security and dimple locks aren't something your average burglar will have a hope of opening.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Locks are illusions of safety, as are walls, and essentially everything else. Its all about feeling safe, psychology. You can never be truly 100% safe anywhere, EVER, and for paranoid people this can be a problem. Even if you have a gun, 24 hour guards, etc etc, a determined burglar always has a chance of getting in...

Try not to let it bother you, reduce your chances of being robbed or attacked as best you can, and enjoy the illusion of security, because living in abject terror doesn't help...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem
this doesnt apply for 90% of homes at all.. those are american locks, and their problem. in other countries those locks arent used, as they arent deemed safe enough.

Heard this on the news last year.

It's not just regular 5pin tumblers that are vulnerable. Even some keys that were designed to be 'bump proof' are not. This is not news though, bump keys have been around for very long.

heres a picture of some different types of bump keys

this website toool.nl goes in to great detail in one of their videos on bumping and shows just how many different types of keys can be bumped.

I think one of the videos talks about CIA/whoever when they want to plant bugs in someones house if they don't have time to pick the lock they will just break it down and then replace it with a lock that will open with any key.(that way the owner wont notice unless he opens his door with the wrong key.) not sure if it's in one of these videos or if it's even true, but it was interesting.

I think a good defense is 'trap pins' I couldn't find a picture but it's basically hidden spring loaded pins that aren't in line with the bolt until the keys been turned. That way if it's a bumpkey/tension wrench there will be a space for the pins to drop down and stop the lock from turning anymore. The only bad thing about this is if your lock has been picked or bumped, you will have remove the lock and fix/replace it.(if I remember correctly)

I'm not too worried about it.. My house has windows.

[edit on 2/17/2009 by Bumr055]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bumr055
I'm not too worried about it.. My house has windows.

[edit on 2/17/2009 by Bumr055]

You see this is the problem. Most people view security in very minimal terms. As you say, windows are obviously a security flaw. I mean if you're faced with a solid metal door, fitted with a really secure lock and next to it is simply a toughened glass window, what is the logical choice?

Take a look at the robbers who stole cash from that depot in the UK last year. They could have gone through all the security but instead they just rammed a truck through the wall

Look as an average homeowner if you are protecting yourself, even just a little then you will deter 90% of burglars.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
For my fellow lock pickers I thought this might help with the different tools available.

Different Pick Sets

It is truly amazing the different ways something can be, for lack of a better word, exploited or picked.

It's also a fun hobby to learn to pick locks as there is always some new lock to try and pick.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Yeah i see it like having a new rubix cube each time you pick one up. Each one is different, and actually i just find it relaxing

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Bumping a lock requires the pins to be 'shocked' into moving above the tumbler so the cylinder can be turned.
So I thought, 'what if the keyhole was injected with bearing grease, it would be stiff enough to prevent bumping, but still allow the lock to work with the right key.'

But cold weather might make the grease too thick, even with the proper key.

All this is just my theory, I could be wrong, anyone with a bump key care to try this out? One could perhaps even try sticking the lock in the freezer or outdoors in the cold, perhaps when it is -20C or so, to see if the grease impedes normal operation of the lock, or even if warm negatively affects it's operation.

Any takers?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
wow... now everyone knows how to break into a dead bolted door! I bet the vast majority of the people had no idea this trick worked... and now guess what? the whole world knows and everyone will be showing their friends how! expect a lot burglary in the future thanks to your local news broadcasters!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Man, i wish you had posted this a week ago, I locked myself out in the snow last week

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

I won't be testing it because i don't want to gum up a lock and have to strip and clean the thing. However i can't imagine it helping as vibrations can pass through liquid. I think it would result in having to hit the lock slightly harder but the principle would still work out.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anomen
wow... now everyone knows how to break into a dead bolted door! I bet the vast majority of the people had no idea this trick worked... and now guess what? the whole world knows and everyone will be showing their friends how! expect a lot burglary in the future thanks to your local news broadcasters!

Again, burglars are either to dumb to do this or can't be bothered as they just smash windows. On top of that they would need to get the exact key that fits that model of lock.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Heh.

Thieves are why I keep functional sharpened swords in my bedroom.

Break into my house... please?

Oh - and the "lightsaber "toy"" in the pic - it has a nearly unbreakable piece of pvc type clear plastic for sparring on it for a blade. Let me get some whacks in with that - - - can you imagine telling people you got your ass kicked by a dude w/ a fake lightsaber? LOL

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I have pitbulls I suggest the same course of home protection, you wouldn't believe the fear a simple bark can evoke, especially when it sounds like a crazy dog. There are much larger dogs as well that are prone to protect property by instinct such as a Caucasion Mountain dog - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

HAHAHA why does it need to be sharp I got a rusty old machette that wouldn't be to easy to pull out of your shoulder. No need to be clean an easy, make it dirty and rough!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Defcon would be awesome to attend and for the tubular locks there are tubular picks but they are a little pricey. If you have the right tension wrench you can pick them with a regular pickset.

Ahh i made my own, i'm quite good with metal work

Not one line!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TNT13

Hey man whatever suits you!

I just like the concept of pure quiet -

It's dark. They just came in. They think they're in the clear.... then the next thing they know there is this sharp pain and a three foot piece of metal poking through their chests from behind.

Hell, I'd whisper something in their ear while they died for effect.

I'm creepy like that.

I HATE criminals. HATE them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join