It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! Lock Bumping and Bump Keys (URGENT)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

OK apart from the fact that you would most certainly go to prison for a long time, how do you know you would definitely wake up when they broke in and what if they have a gun? Gun beats sword.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
bumping open locks isn't as easy as it looks, and it doesn't really work very well. If you wish to pick a lock, spp (single pin picking) or raking, or a combo of both is the best way to pick locks open. Lock guns do work, but if you come across security pins, they don't stand much of a chance imo, a light touch on the torque wrench and spping is the way to go.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

HEY

I can fantasize.

You leave me alone.

LOL

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
bumping open locks isn't as easy as it looks, and it doesn't really work very well. If you wish to pick a lock, spp (single pin picking) or raking, or a combo of both is the best way to pick locks open. Lock guns do work, but if you come across security pins, they don't stand much of a chance imo, a light touch on the torque wrench and spping is the way to go.

Erm not in the case of some of the high security Medeco locks and other manufacturers. Medeco pins actually have to be rotated so picking them spp is a highly difficult thing. I've tried it and succeeded but it took me a very long time. Wait no, very very long time. I suppose i should practice more
Still rotating a chiseled pin so the sidebar can engage is rather tricky.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Hahaha sounds fun, I just hope he catches me walking around the house holding the machette while wearing my bloody butchers outfit from halloween, he would want out instantly lol!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Um I know theres those "things" about people going to prison for killing someone breaking into their house but not many. He breaks in, you kill him, 99% chance of getting off. He has gun he kills you maybe sword should have had gun on top lol. But honestly you break into my house and accidently get killed... you either dog food or getting buried in the yard. Taking what isn't yours is inexcusable.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TNT13

Hey don't get me wrong here i think the law should be clearer and allow you to defend your home, even some idiot breaks in and dies i don't believe the homeowner should be in trouble. Just pointing out that under current laws if you killed someone from behind, with a sword then the courts would probably frown on that one.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I never lock my front door when I am at home. Often I don't lock it when I go out. Once my front door lock didn't even work for about a period of about 3 years and I never bothered to have it fixed. I never lock my car doors and to the people in 1982 and 1997 who broke the window, check the lock first would you, those things cost money you know!

I am observant about my surroundings when I am out but I don't look over my shoulder and I don't imagine or expect bad things could happen.

Call me an optimist or suffering from an inferiority complex so bad I don't imagine that anyone wants to go through the trouble to steal my stuff or hurt me.

Either way living in fear sucks. I recomend against it unless you voted for the Patriot Act, think Arab Fundamentalists blew up the World Trade Center and Pentagon, and G-d will send you to H E double tooth picks for cheating on your taxes. Then by all means enjoy the fear ride.

Me...I say live free or die trying.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What is the big deal about this?
Why all the omg omg omg.
Most burglars will just brake a window.
Alarm system is like $150 bucks for a digital security control.
This is just news to try and sell locks and alarm systems.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I first learned about lock bumping in 2007.I actually bought a set off someone on ebay but I've never even taken the time to try to use em.If you buy bump keys keep in mind that they'll just be regular keys with no indentions on them.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this has been a known thing here on the internet for over three years. It would seem that we all have more to worry about than a burglar considering the shape the world is in after the last administration.

Did you see that little green man just now? Oh, wait, I guess it was just me...

regards...jack _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
My locks are pretty damned good so I'm not terribly worried I also have a pretty vigilant dog and an attack cat that doesn't like it when the unannounced arrive.

That and I'm armed. So good luck to you potential burglars.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
My locks are pretty damned good so I'm not terribly worried I also have a pretty vigilant dog and an attack cat that doesn't like it when the unannounced arrive.

That and I'm armed. So good luck to you potential burglars.

Sorry i just couldn't help laughing at attack cat. I had this image of a cat in a tactical belt and a bandanna. Maybe I've had to many hits to the head

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Yes, Attack cat. He's very vigilant and well trained.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Awww it's a cute............OMG WHAT THE HELL!

Just imagining a burglars reaction
Anyway to the OP you really shouldn't worry about it. Instead of changing your locks at home just install some motion sensitive lighting, maybe get a burglar alarm that phones you or a security company when it goes off (get the kind with cellular backup for extra security), make sure they can't climb into your backyard easily, put up a mind the dog sign etc.

All of this is far better than just installing better locks.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Woah. What is there to say here other than beware and do something about this before it's too late!!!!!

[edit on Tue Feb 17th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

It's already too late.... I've had access to bump keys since 2003.

There are Bump key "RESISTANT" locks though, double tumbler on top and bottom.

Keep in mind, that you can also go to any good hacker con and learn how to pick locks yourself...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Thanks for telling everyone how to do this.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KIRKSTERUK

Well, just like encryption, when you release the algorithm you allow for better expansion of security. To find where the weaknesses are. When the public is made aware of how this is done then people can better prepare themselves and come up with counter measures.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by KIRKSTERUK

Everyone already knows, at least the people you don't want to know do

It's good the security community has opened up in the recent years. It used to be that they wouldn't listen to the enthusiasts and these exploits were only known by criminals and hobbyists and the companies did nothing about it.

Be grateful that this sort of stuff is brought into the limelight, because otherwise the criminals would have an even bigger advantage. At least this way the manufacturers can alter their designs.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by KIRKSTERUK

It's called full disclosure... the idea is that when everyone knows how to break in, vendors will do something about it.

We've had it in Infosec since Bugtraq first started in 95. And it works... Vendors fix the problems...

The problem is the arms race. You will never get around the arms race. The only thing you can be is well armed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join