It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Makes a Taliban Truce, Creating a Haven

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

No problem that was many years ago I now have my own Networking and PC shop so all is good. But at the time I had a few choice words.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It could be a good strategic move for the US IF they plan to act on it. Why not allow a "safe" haven for these groups, allow them to join forces in mass in one area, and then eliminate them? I'd rather fight hornets in a nest rather than in several. Push will come to shove, but destroying a small area is easier than a large one. Yes innocent women and children will be victims, that is a terrible reality of this whole situation. There are bigger problems at home, yet I think those that are impervious to the monetary failures at home, think it may be a good time to strike.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
It certainly will be intersting to see how this turns out,
The pakistan government has deffinately changed alot more
since Musharref was relieved of his power.

Alot of my family over there (espec my grandad who was
in the British Army for nearly a decade and a Mujjahdeen in Occupied Kashmir from late 80's to late 90's) says theres alot of talk of "The Sh*t is about to hit the fan on a huge scale" over there.

This is the first nuclear nation America will take on,
and with the Taliban now a major part of it,
will push things to a bigger level.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wazzock

Well as long as theri government maintains control of those nukes while we clean house everything should be fine.

The question really is how long can they hold on to power.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
These came from a woman in Bristol, England . She just returned from there and said it is no longer English, as the Muslims have taken it over, and the trend continues. While we want them to assimilate - it looks like they would rather annihilate.

View the pictures below and decide how you really feel about the future of the Western World.

These pictures are of Muslims marching through the streets of London during their recent 'Religion of Peace Demonstration.'

Why would anyone think that we should be at war with such nice, peaceful Muslims?!

Canadians need to know - You need to forward this one to everyone!

These pictures tell it all! Muslims have stated that England will be the first country they take over!

These are pictures not shown on American/Canadian TV or in Newspapers but were forwarded to me by a friend who thought we all ought to know!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by wazzock

Well as long as theri government maintains control of those nukes while we clean house everything should be fine.

The question really is how long can they hold on to power.

Ah well,if the poop really hits the fan over there,we could always send in Chuck
Norris

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

In response to 44soulslayer.Did you stay up all night thinking that strategy out?Do you not read history.Invasions rarely work,especially in the google world of the 20th/21st C.I bet you can't even name one country that has submitted to a forceful takeover.The resistance,murder of civs and troops and public world opinion will see to that.Unless the world is populated with warmongering morons like yourself.No offense but use your brain and extrapolate your suggestion.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The Taliban, hunting them down is like a dog chaseing its tail, you have to catch them when they are most comfortable and thier gaurd is down. I am no proponant of Nuclear weapons, but we have some really big alternatives. It may be time to get to them while they are massing in that area and take out a bunch of rats in a fell swoop. There will be inoccents that die and the decision to do this needed deed is beyond the capabilities of this current Gov. we have in the US.
Conclusion: The world will sit back and take a wait and see posture while the Taliban will most likely take over that country, its just the way they work, given an inch they will take a mile. The only hope is that Pakistan realize the danger and dismantle their Nuke sites beofre its to late. So in the end after all the death and suffering of possibly millions the Taliban have won the war. They gave up Afganistan for Pakistan and destroyed Iraq in the prosess and we are now back to square one.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by TooRisky]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If i read right the pakistanis have sign a truce allowing shariah law, with the talibans and the militia are still the renegads

Pakistani government officials insisted the truce with the Taliban and the switch to the Shariah, the Islamic legal code, were consistent with the Constitution and presented no threat to the integrity of the nation.

This is turning out to be strategic in the sense, they come to this while President Obama's government is just taking shape. If this conflit was to be solve the way it was going then all area including the Swat people should have been secured. So i suspect in the next 10 to 20 years the west should be expecting an Irania-like situation with the militants

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Linky to youtube post

CNN's Christiane Amanpour reports on concern with a new law in Pakistan and what it means for the world.

Pakistani government officials announced Monday an agreement with the Taliban to allow strict Islamic law, or sharia, to be implemented in parts of North West Frontier Province.

It marks a major concession by the Pakistani government in its attempt to hold off Taliban militants who have terrorized the region with beheadings, kidnappings, and the destruction of girls' schools.

The government will recognize sharia for the entire Malakand Division, which includes the Swat district -- a two-hour drive from Pakistan's capital, Islamabad -- the chief minister of North West Frontier Province Amir Haider Hoti announced Monday in a news conference. Islamic law is already being practiced in the area, where the Taliban have control.

Hoti said the people of the region want sharia which will fill the "vacuum" left by a lack of access to Pakistan's judicial system. He said he hoped it would bring peace to the region, where Pakistani forces have battled militants aligned with the Taliban.

"Those who chose to take the path of violence because of this decision, I appeal to all of them to work for the sake of peace now," Hoti said.

"There is no accounting for the sacrifice of all the people of Swat and the Malakand division. How many children have been orphaned? How many parents have lost their children? How many young people have been martyred? In my mind, I don't think that anyone can take this any more."

He also stressed that the recognition of Islamic law in the region "isn't something that hasn't happened before." He said previous agreements have been made regarding sharia, but were never implemented. He also said that the Islamic law will not go against basic civil liberties, although he did not explain how the government would make sure that provision would be upheld.

Sharia is defined as Islamic law but is interpreted with wide differences depending on the various sects of both Sunni and Shia Islam.

So far, the Pakistani Taliban's interpretation of sharia has included banning girls from school, forcing women inside and outlawing forms of entertainment.

The agreement comes amid negotiations between Pakistani provincial officials and Taliban representatives, led by Sufi Mohammed. The Taliban on Sunday declared a 10-day cease-fire in Swat Valley, which Taliban spokesman Muslim Khan said was a gesture of good will towards the government.

The Taliban's control of Swat is believed to be the deepest advance by militants into Pakistan's settled areas -- meaning areas outside its federally administered tribal region along the border with Afghanistan.

The negotiations in North West Frontier Province are the latest attempt by Pakistan's civilian government -- which took power last year -- to achieve peace through diplomacy in areas where Taliban and al Qaeda leaders are believed to have free rein.

But analysts as well as critics within the establishment have warned that Pakistan's previous dealings with the Taliban have only given the fundamentalist Islamic militia time to regroup and gain more ground.

Khadim Hussain, a professor Bahria University in Islamabad who studies Pakistani politics, said the government has effectively surrendered the areas to the Taliban, thereby setting the stage for two contradictory, parallel states in North West Frontier Province.

"If you leave them like that and you give ... a semblance of peace in a particular area, what does that mean?" Hussain said. "It means you're capitulating. It means you're surrendering the state to them. It means your submitting the state authority to them because they are running a parallel state."

He said the government's decision amounts to a marriage of convenience made under duress.

Swat has been overrun by forces loyal to Maulana Fazlullah's banned hardline Islamic group, Tehreek Nifaz-e-Shariat Mohammadi (TNSM) which has allied itself with Taliban fighters. TNSM was once led by Sufi Mohammed, Fazlullah's father-in-law who is leading the latest negotiations. Sufi Mohammed was released from jail last year by Pakistani authorities after he agreed to cooperate with the government. He was jailed in 2002 after recruiting thousands of fighters to battle U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

Fazlullah took over TNSM during Sufi Mohammed's jail stint and vowed to continue his fight to impose fundamentalist Islamic law in the region.

Last May, Pakistan's government announced it reached a peace deal with militants in Swat Valley. In the months that have followed, the Taliban have seized control of the region and carried out a violent campaign against government officials, including local politicians. The head of the Awami National Party -- which represents the region -- was forced to flee to Islamabad amid death threats from the Taliban.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 24-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join