It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Makes a Taliban Truce, Creating a Haven

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Pakistan Makes a Taliban Truce, Creating a Haven

www.nytimes.com

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The government announced Monday that it would accept a system of Islamic law in the Swat valley and agreed to a truce, effectively conceding the area as a Taliban sanctuary and suspending a faltering effort by the army to crush the insurgents.

Skip to next paragraph
Related
From Pakistan, Taliban Threats Reach New York (February 17, 2009)
Times Topics: Pakistan | Shariah (Islamic Law)
Enlarge This Image

Hasbanullah Khan/Associated Press
Pakistanis in Miran Shah, near the Afghan border, on Sunday at funerals of people described as victims of a United States missile attack on a Taliban compound.
The concessions to the militants, who now control about 70 percent of the region just 100 miles from the capital, were criticized by Pakistani analysts as a capitulation by a government desperate to stop Taliban abuses and a military embarrassed at losing ground after more than a year of intermittent fighting. About 3,000 Taliban militants have kept 12,000 government troops at bay and terrorized the local population with floggings and the burning of schools.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I just dont know what to make of this exactly?
Here is some more of the report. Is this good? Bad? What?

Those regions have since become a mini-state for Qaeda and Taliban militants, who are now the focus of missile strikes by remotely piloted American aircraft. On Monday, what was thought to be a drone strike in Kurram, a separate area close to the Afghan border, killed 31 people, Pakistani intelligence officials said.

Analysts are now suggesting that the drone strikes may be pushing the Taliban, and even some Qaeda elements, out of the tribal belt and into Swat, making the valley more important to the Taliban.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This is very bad.
Sharia law, just got nuclear arms.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
From Pakistan, Taliban Threats Reach New York

During two weeks of captivity in a nearby mountain range, Mr. Khan says, he was interrogated repeatedly about his wealth, property and “mission” in the United States. He was released in exchange for an $8,000 ransom. His family, threatened with death if they did not leave the region, is now hiding elsewhere in Pakistan.

“Our Swat, our paradise, is burning now,” said Mr. Khan, 55, who returned to the United States and is working at a fast-food restaurant in Albany, trying to reimburse the friends and relatives who paid his ransom.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
i heard a while back somewhere that america was planning on taking over pakistan, ill try and find the source again

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I hope this is a clear message to the USA about which side Pakistan supports.

The US has backed the wrong country for the last half century. You guys have placed your faith in an islamist nation armed with nukes in the errant belief that they support Western ideology.

Frankly if the US doesn't invade Swat I will respect them far less. Afghanistan was a valid war; and the Taliban is a scourge that must be eradicated. Gear up boys, its time to take the war on terror to its logical theatre... Iraq was nothing but a distraction.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

Frankly if the US doesn't invade Swat I will respect them far less. Afghanistan was a valid war; and the Taliban is a scourge that must be eradicated. Gear up boys, its time to take the war on terror to its logical theatre... Iraq was nothing but a distraction.

Well it seems your right. The US will be focusing it's forces more in Afghanistan and we will have a widening of the war there and if we do take out swat then we will also be stepping on Islamic tradition this will get ugly.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I heard about this yesterday and it is not good... not good at all.

I have been saying for years that we wasted our time in Iraq... Pakistan with about 100 nukes was a far greater danger than Iraq or Iran ever could be... it is simply too unstable with a significant religious fanatic presence in the military and far too sympathetic to both the taliban and Al Qeada to ever be considered a true ally.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It's definitely time to move on this now.

I hope Obama can see this threat for what it is, and doesn't think he can sweet talk his way out of it.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Taliban militants roll into the Swat Valley:

Battle-weary residents welcomed a pro-Taliban cleric dispatched by the government Tuesday to convince militants in the former tourist haven of Swat to stop fighting in exchange for the imposition of Islamic law and suspension of military offensives there.

Full story

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

They must realize that this area will become a massive target for future military action?
Either way this is not good. I understand the impossible political situation Pakistan is going through but this just painted a giant bulls eye on the area.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I'm starting to think outside the box on this one, it's almost as if the powers that be want an Islamic extremist group to have nukes so they can turn around and use it as an excuse for further prosecution of conflict in the region.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Moscow Reacts

Moscow has correctly assessed that the announced Obama troop buildup in Afghanistan has no relevance to the stated aim of combatting the ‘Taliban’, but rather with a new attempt by the Pentagon strategists to encircle both Russia and China on Eurasia in order to retain US global military dominance. It is not waiting for a new policy from Washington. Rather Russia is acting to secure its perimeter in Central Asia through a series of calculated geopolitical moves reminiscent of the famous Great Game of more than a Century ago. The stakes in this geopolitical power game could not be higher—the issue of world war or peace in the coming decade.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hey! We put them / drove them there.
After so many years now in Afghanistan (longer than WWII) fighting the Taliban, can someone tell me why we are there again?
The Taliban were content to stay in Afghanistan before we went marching in. Like the Soviets before us we are being mired down in a pointless and costly war of attrition with no clear goals in sight.
The cost keeps going up. More people die every day. The Opiate production went up to record levels and has remained high. Just what the hell are we doing there and, more importantly, why should I care?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here is an interesting perspective

Destabilizing Pakistan, America Plays with Fire

With the Obama administration preparing a major military escalation across South Asia, the corrupt ruling elites perched in their palaces in Lahore, Islamabad and Karachi have demonstrated their contempt for the Pakistani people. Unable, and unwilling, to solve the deep-seated structural problems facing their nation--unemployment, lack of security, rampant crime and corruption, the lack of public education, the absence of health care, free expression and the right to be left alone to live in peace--like the Musharraf clique, the Zardari administration has cut a deal with the imperialist overlords who now threaten destruction on a planetary scale. Caught between the jihadi Frankenstein and the American Draculas waiting in the wings, it is the people of South Asia who will pay a steep price as the Pentagon and their corporatist masters seek a "solution" to what Washington insiders have dubbed the "Af-Pak" problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Considering the Pakistani intelligence community (isi?) has been funding and giving information to the Taliban for years this is hardly a surprise, and if we are to ever defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan then we will need to wipe them out in Pakistan as well as teaching the authorities there the error of their ways.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The only way I want our troops in there is if they are allowed to go in and take care of the mission with what ever force is necessary. If all they are going to do is go in and try to win the hearts and minds, then we are doomed for failure. At one point or another the US is going to have to get mean and ugly despite the criticism that will come from it.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
They will have to be wiped out either way, and I think the time is now.

We've goofed off in Iraq for long enough. We need to devote massive force to Afghanistan and Pakistan and snub this garbage out before it gets out of hand.

Sadly I don't think Obama has the guts.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

After so many years now in Afghanistan (longer than WWII) fighting the Taliban, can someone tell me why we are there again?

There again?
We never left we have been there this whole time as you also mention in your reply.

Now that Iraq is done we will be moving troops around and bolster troop levels but this is a scarier proposition it means this will get really bloody. In spite of our troops losses so far in Afghanistan the numbers have been really light compared to what the former Soviets had in the same amount of time in war there.

But I feel that this wont last long as we start to prosecute this war in earnest.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is a great thread. Why is everyone so stingy with the stars and flags?

Sooner or later we will be putting boots on the ground in Pakistan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join