It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Suspends Income Tax Refunds, State Payroll, and Funding to Schools and Other State Department

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by MOFreemason

Representative democracy my ass.

Biggest farce in America.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I am in Witchita...............

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Well Wichita, I feel your pain. I have lots of friends from downstate there.

(I hope the state at least taxed that UFO that went streaming through your air space last week!)

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Seems to me that someone's going to hit the reset button anytime now. My question is when do I go out and MAX my credit card out for things my family is going to need? BTW I plan on issuing my own monthly IOU's when I do.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

Absolutely! I think it'll be fun to pay out using IOUs.

And I have thought about just that idea...when should I start buying items of survival that my family will need, using credit that will never be collected?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

That comment really does deserve a star j2000

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
First thing is first. Make sure everyone you're close to in any way knows about this. And start making plans for helping your community survive if you're not planning to bug out.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Seriously this is the ultimate slap in the face to BOA or whoever you card issuer is. If they want to treat our dollar like its kindling why shouldn't we. I say rack that sucker up and file bankruptcy like everybody else.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I had texted my KS friends about this and even posted it on my Facebook page. Amazing how quickly people responded to me and demonstrated their outrage.

And frankly, all Americans should be outraged...not just Kansans.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Interesting I know cali is doing the same thing cutting out two fridays a month for most state organizations iou's ect, I wonder (not really) if state government officials are making any such sacrifices. You would think they would be seeing as how their job is to represent the people

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Japan is now talking Depression. Just keep in mind that stories like this are happening all over the world. And in some places they are accelerating beyond what we thought would be the pace of the collapse:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Our countries citizens seem sedated, unmotivated,complacent or is it just plain ol laziness. Maybe it is the flouride thats supressing our rebelious side. Other countries seem to be right on it when their governments over steps its bounds. Are we that fearful of the hammer that our country yields, or is the threat of martial law and detainment camps that great in our psyche?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Japan is now talking Depression. Just keep in mind that stories like this are happening all over the world. And in some places they are accelerating beyond what we thought would be the pace of the collapse:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Things are accelerating much quicker than expected...which is why I don't trust much of what the MSM says. CNBC and Fox Business rarely tell people the truth. Those that do--Gerald Celente and Peter Schiff--are mocked and ridiculed.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
reply to post by projectvxn

I wonder how many states are in similar situations to KS, as we haven't heard too much about state conditions other than CA, MI, and NY.

The state of Nevada is currently seeing some severe budget cuts. They had to already cut $300 million this year.
Nevada Budget

[edit on 16-2-2009 by leira7]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
Our countries citizens seem sedated, unmotivated,complacent or is it just plain ol laziness. Maybe it is the flouride thats supressing our rebelious side. Other countries seem to be right on it when their governments over steps its bounds. Are we that fearful of the hammer that our country yields, or is the threat of martial law and detainment camps that great in our psyche?

My friends and I just had this very discussion this weekend. We were questioning if Americans are just tied to their jobs and can't sacrifice doing anything stupid to lose their jobs or are they just glued to sports and TV.

Reality tv has Americans hooked. Sporting events has Americans debating this and that. And of course, we can't even feel comfortable vacationing these days, in fear of losing our jobs.

So...Americans are basically willing to keep taking the shots.

But what will finally put this over the edge? I mean, this OP headline out of Kansas would put people over the top, says conventional wisdom.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Yeah, and here's something that Japan has done that has already not worked, but will likely try to do again:
www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Mr Yosano yesterday flagged the Government would rush out a third stimulus package since September 1, with talk in the markets yesterday of another Y20 trillion (about $335 billion) of new expenditure.

Sound familiar?

[edit on 16-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
This is just plain extortion by the State Republicans...

State Republican legislative leaders Monday demanded that Gov. Kathleen Sebelius sign the budget cutting bill they passed last week before they will agree to issue inter-governmental loans to make state payments for payroll, public schools, health care and income tax refunds, officials said.

Democrats denounced the move by House Speaker Mike O'Neal, R-Hutchinson, and Senate President Steve Morris, R-Hugoton, calling it "blackmail" and "irresponsible."
www2.ljworld.com...

They are preventing the Governor from moving funds from various accounts....

Like Pensions.

Instead of stealing money from other State Accounts, they are forcing the Governor to cut out the money she needs from spending... true Conservative ideology at work.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Every conversation I had with family this weekend all had one thing in common "we are thankful to have a job right now" This in and of itself makes us not want to rock the boat. These feel good moments are going to come to a screeching halt I'm afraid. Many in KS and CA are already feeling this I'm sure. What is it going to take to get people off the couch you ask, no t.v. and $15.00 six packs will do it. Not to mention an IOU as a paycheck. The utility company isn't going to take an IOU I can gurantee that.
The prophetic nature of some of these threads discussed here at ATS make for a chaotic future my friends. But I'm not going to preach to the choir, if you haven't done so read some of the survival threads, great threads with great links.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

While you are absolutely correct stating the ideology is aligned with fiscal conversatism, the fact is they already faced this dire situation back in December and had no choice but to borrow funds from other state accounts.

This then led the KS Legislature to draft a $300 million deficit-reduction bill, which was passed, but the Governor is yet to sign because it takes too much away from the school district funding allocations. Under a KS Supreme Court ruling, the state's districts must receive close to $200 million per year. The state legislature took too much money away from the school districts in their deficit-reduction bill, which prompted Sebelius not to sign it because it would have been an unconstitutional law.

To show their arrogan muscles, the Legislature then declined her request to reallocate funds from other state accounts into the state's main account to pay for state income tax refunds, payroll, schools, etc. Even though they had to do this back in December and have to do it again to pay the bills, they are playing games.

This is just a hack political game at taxpayers' expense.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well spending needs to be cut. This isn't a conservative or liberal issue anymore. This is an American issue. Would you rather they pilfer pensions? You wanna see how big of a backlash they'll get if they start stealing from pensioners?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join