It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Suspends Income Tax Refunds, State Payroll, and Funding to Schools and Other State Department

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Chalk up another state that has felt the economic blows that many other states, including California, have experienced.

TOPEKA, Kan. -- Kansas is suspending income tax refunds and may not be able to pay its employees on time.

The state is strapped for cash in its main bank account. Republican legislative leaders blocked an effort by Democratic Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to transfer funds into the account.

Sebelius wanted to move $225 million from other accounts throughout state government, allowing the state to pay its bills. That move requires approval of legislative leaders, and Republicans balked.

Now Budget Director Duane Goossen said he's not sure the state can meet its payroll. State employees are due to be paid again Friday.

GOP leaders want Sebelius to sign a bill making $326 million in adjustments to the budget for the fiscal year that ends June 30.

Legislators approved that bill last week, but it has not reached her desk.
www.kmbc.com...

[edit on 16-2-2009 by MOFreemason]

[edit on 16-2-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Great! I was sending mine in this week!

They suck! They want me to pay personal property tax on my stuff in March. They have another thing coming. If I get an IOU in the mail, I will give them one back for taxes owed as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Good find.

We've been keeping track of all the state stuff on ATS really well.

S & F

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Why is this the only news result of this though?
That I can find on the whole web?
About such an important news story?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have yet to file in the State of Kansas and am expecting a $55 income tax refund.

I'm sure there are a great many that are expecting lots more from the State. If they know their refunds are suspended, how many people even feel inclined to file?

Why file if they know the state isn't going to hold up their end?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Here is another one.

Wichita Eagle

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
maybe a list is in order?

List of future states would also be nice...say NewYork state in 2011.

How are the other states doing?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
I have yet to file in the State of Kansas and am expecting a $55 income tax refund.

I'm sure there are a great many that are expecting lots more from the State. If they know their refunds are suspended, how many people even feel inclined to file?

Why file if they know the state isn't going to hold up their end?

Yeah, you said it! Mine should be around 3000.00.

I am really pissed!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is just plain extortion by the State Republicans...

State Republican legislative leaders Monday demanded that Gov. Kathleen Sebelius sign the budget cutting bill they passed last week before they will agree to issue inter-governmental loans to make state payments for payroll, public schools, health care and income tax refunds, officials said.

Democrats denounced the move by House Speaker Mike O'Neal, R-Hutchinson, and Senate President Steve Morris, R-Hugoton, calling it "blackmail" and "irresponsible."
www2.ljworld.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

The fact they are also hijacking allocated payments to public schools puts the State's schoolchildren and teachers, tax paying citizens, in complete disarray.

What a sham!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I would not be worried about Kansas as of yet.......They still have Peter to pay for Paul. Its those states that don't have ole uncle Peter like California completely broke.

But soon we will see the exact same thread start about other states like Kansas. All states will get a little IV from the stimulas, but it won't last long.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Look at the budet this crap Govenor has done. I was really hoping Obama would have taken her by now. Good riddens!

Go to page 3 and look at the budget timeline. Pathetic. Big spender, big taxes.

State of Kansas - budget

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I made a post about this in another thread...I heard about it on Fox News of all places...Which by the way, I have a strategy for. But I will get to that in a minute.

Like California, this is going to push the state of Kansas into default. This is the first step of insolvency. More and more states will follow and President Barack Obama will then introduce a bill to congress(Or congress will introduce it's own bill) that will appropriate3 trillion dollars to the states to cover their expenses...Since this won't stop here and this new bailout bill won't do anything about this problem. The Bonds will collapse. Not just Treasuries, but munis and other localized bond markets. Then we'll be left holding alot of green toilet paper.

This is only the beginning. States will be doing this left and right throughout the rest of the year until the Federal Government economically nukes the entire country.

On the Fox and other news network strategy:

If you have democrats in office, watch more fox news than MSNBC
If you have Republicans in office Watch more MSNBC than Fox News.

This will help you balance out the BS, because they LOVE airing out each others' dirty laundry. And they essentially do the job for you.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Haha they are out of money but refuse to pass a bill to cut their own budget? And you wonder why Kansas is out of money???

And for the record NOT all states are having income problems. Cut some pork already!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by svenglezz

Not very good. Kansas was really good until two years ago.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

43 out of the 50 are currently operating on a deficit. I recommend google for some of these analyses.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The KS Dems refused to cut the budget prior to this year and KS Repubs refuse to raise taxes.

In her State of State address, she outlined $300 million+ budget cut. School districts are laying-off administrators and teachers in most districts, mental health facilities are consolidating or closing, correction facilities were at jeopardy of closing, and state services are being slashed by 10-20%.

I'm glad I left KS last year, though most states are going to be following suit I'm afraid.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

No! They passed it. The Govenor will not sign it.

She's an Obama pick wouldn't you know.

She love's to spend, and then turns around and dumps buisnesses out of state.

They can transfer money as an emergency, but they are holding it ransom until she signs it.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I like your FOX News comment, although I disagree with you on MSNBC. Any network which allows Keith Olberman to air his nonsensical liberal panderings isn't worth my time.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Ok then watch CNN. They're Liberal Lite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join