It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Suspends Income Tax Refunds, State Payroll, and Funding to Schools and Other State Department

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
so they are really not going to pay those who work for the state? How can they make people work for no money? I would start a protest or something if I worked for the state. How in the world do they expect people to pay their bills. I thought the american systems was you work and someone pays you so you can in turn pay your bills? I hope Missouris is not next.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Either the Fed subsidizes and takes over, or everything just stops. And the layoffs begin, en masse. The federal government can only do this for so long before they too, become bankrupt.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by j2000

All I can say is organize. Call friends and family.

The only way the people will be paid attention to is by creating a movement so strong that political BS will bend to our will.

Your right! Have the family taken care of.
If anyone on here wants to get on a call, or meet, send a u2u please.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

That was going to be my next question. What the hell happens when a state declares bankruptcy?

Oh well, Kansas is an agricultural state... our goods will be in demand when TSHTF, as many here like to say.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is so frustrating. If any of us were to tell the IRS we could not pay they would take our pay or whatever else to cover our dues. The government gets away with anything.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tgautier13

It will turn to subsistence farming. This would be a natural consequence. Small community gardens will likely pop up as well. We're getting one started here in Reno.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I hope Missouris is not next.

My sentiments precisely!

I believe Missouri is a balanced-budget state, meaning by State Constitution, the Governor must balance the budget each year.

Gov. Jay Nixon laid out the grim budget during his State of the State address on January 27. According to his budget, the State of Missouri must eliminate $900 million from the state budget.

The City of Kansas City, MO indicated last month they have to eliminate $60-90 million from their city budget. They have already declared an immediate slashing in city services, including reduction of police officers by over 220.

While we may not be in the same situation as Kansas, the fact is like every other state, we live and die by property and retail taxes.

Foreclosures, lack of consumer spending will destroy us next.

Just wait until the commercial real estate bubble bursts in about a month or two.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Wow!
www.kmbc.com...

State budget experts said Kansas is facing a $140 million deficit this year. Those same people are warning that the state could face a $1 billion shortfall in 2010

If they're in this much of a disaster over a $140 Million deficit, imagine next year facing 7 times that amount. Kansans, I'd strongly urge you all to adjust the amount taken from your paycheck for taxes immediately. increase your listed exemptions, reduce your percentage witheld, do whatever you need to do to ensure that at this time next year the state does not owe you a refund (while still trying to ensure that you're having just enough witheld to prevent you having to cut a check to the state in the process.)

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This thread is one the front page now.....

The problem with the Cities Like KC and Witchita are that they will have to carry the load of the state, when the state goes under.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by j2000]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Awesome...ATS will now hear our anger and resentment on this topic!!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Or, tax revolt. Period. Don't pay taxes to a state who won't pay you back. It is IMMORAL. And should NOT be tolerated by anyone.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
www.kslegislature.org...

The idiots in the kansas senate are debating how damaging smoking is and their public smoking ban bill.
Like it is not common knowledge that smoking is bad for you.

These morons just dont get it.

[edit on 16/2/2009 by shooterbrody]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

reply to post by burdman30ott6

Or, tax revolt. Period. Don't pay taxes to a state who won't pay you back. It is IMMORAL. And should NOT be tolerated by anyone.

I'll see what I get in the mail for my return. If I get an IOU, I will give them one back for Personal Property tax in March.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by shooterbrody

Despite this story running on MSM like Drudge Report, MSNBC, Fox News, local newspapers, and even ATS...

...they just continue to play their political game of extortion with OUR money.

This really angers me more and more with each post I type.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Personal property tax...It's like you're renting your own property. I'd fight back with that too.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The best tax revolt on the Govt. is to change your W-4 and claim like 15 to 25 dependents. It's legal, and nothing they can do about it.

Just make sure, you put that money asside for the end of the year.

Of course, by 1 year from now, everything could be bust and never have to pay it anyways. But at least you would have it to survive until then.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Wow!
www.kmbc.com...

State budget experts said Kansas is facing a $140 million deficit this year. Those same people are warning that the state could face a $1 billion shortfall in 2010

If they're in this much of a disaster over a $140 Million deficit, imagine next year facing 7 times that amount. Kansans, I'd strongly urge you all to adjust the amount taken from your paycheck for taxes immediately. increase your listed exemptions, reduce your percentage witheld, do whatever you need to do to ensure that at this time next year the state does not owe you a refund (while still trying to ensure that you're having just enough witheld to prevent you having to cut a check to the state in the process.)

In that KMBC-TV story, it goes on to indicate just how tough it will be for Kansas to slash any expenses:

Finding places to save money will be tough, according to Sebelius, because almost $4 out of every $5 in the budget goes for schools or taking care of health needs for Kansas' poorest citizens.

A couple of years ago, the State of Kansas Supreme Court ruled that KS must pay hundreds of millions of dollars into education, by legal ruling. So these dollars can't be touched.

Good luck coming up with even more creative areas to slash state expenses.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

It is uninformed policies like this that are systematically destroying this nation. And it fills me with anger and sadness to witness the destruction they cause on those of us who never had anything to do with that decision in the first place. Representative democracy my ass.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

While I can't say the economic affairs of KS were my #1 reason for moving, but I got the heck outta there a year ago. It was quite obvious the overall quality-of-life, in terms of employment, was better for me on the Missouri side.

I now work and reside on the Missouri, keeping my fingers crossed, we don't come close to crumbling like the state of my alma mater.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

reply to post by j2000

Personal property tax...It's like you're renting your own property. I'd fight back with that too.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by projectvxn]

Renting! that's funny. Just my one boat, that I was going to call about Tues. They want so much tax on it, that I have to pay them what I paid for it in seven years. I don't know how Kansas could raise taxes any more.

Since I've been here, (my wife is from here), I never understood what the heck they did with all that money. I am from South Dakota and we had very little tax.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join