It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

You are very wrong . Just check Spaceweather.com. There is a green comet approaching earth right now. Closest approach is around Feb 26th. Great pictures on site . it's getting brighter everyday in the souther sky visible to the naked eye early morn.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Took a picture of that "strange star", Venus of course.

I checked with a software on my Palm, and yes it is Venus

Forgot to say I used a canon 105mm objective (corrected to 170mm : 1,6x).

[edit on 19-2-2009 by looofo]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

As far as I know stars and planets can twinkle. It all has to do with light, temperature and/or the angle at which the light enters our atmosphere, weather it comes directly from the source as in a star or if it's being reflected like from a planet. I believe light coming in low on the horizon tends to have a red shift since all other wavelengths are shorter and are refracted away allowing only the longer red wavelengths to reach us. That's why when the moon first rises on the horizon it usually starts out a redish color, then as it rises becomes orangish, then yellowish until it's high enough to see all of the colors which makes it white. Constant temrature fluctuations in our atmosphere can cause a color shift as well which is what gives you more of that "twinkling" effect. I might be a little off on my accuracey but thats the basic idea.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

I too livei n Southwestern Ohio and I see what you are seeing too!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
you are all losing the plot, listen to the previous posts, it is venus, it is venus, it is venus, if it is not venus that you can see then it is sirius a known binary, possibly trinary, thus a vivid twinkle, but the only way you people will know for sure is to stop typing and get a compass and a watch go out side and record its time and position and look it up on any of the many star gazing propgrams or even go to heavens above, stop suspecting and start researching

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't think I have seen this asked, but has anyone seen this star in the same sky when they can ID Venus, thus positively separating them?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I am pretty sure the poster that started the thread stated later that what he was defiantly seeing Venus, so I take that to mean no other posters have viewed Venus, along with another star near it that they could of been confusing. It pretty much sits by itself. A few mentioned a comet, but a the comet can not be seen like Venus can. Not even close actually.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
All I can tell you guys is that I've been out with my scopes dozens of times now and even took a daytime photo of Venus. I'm no expert by any means but I've not seen anything other than a very bright Venus. But I can only speak for myself.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Here is a smaller resized version, the bright star in the upper far right corner. In the full-size picture, you can clearly see how bright this star is in the sky. My guess would be that the bright star is actually Venus since it's by far the brightest object in the SW evening sky.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I don't think I have seen this asked, but has anyone seen this star in the same sky when they can ID Venus, thus positively separating them?

Actually I did ask that
It was either this post or another post w/ the same topic though. Good question right??

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Please see my thread from a month ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Folks!

Download Stellarium

It will show you everything that is supposed to be in the sky at any time at any location.

There's nothing to stop you from finding out what that bright object in the sky is.

If Stellarium doesn't show it, then you might have something interesting to talk about.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by Chadwickus]

That is the coolest program I've played with in a long time!!!

Thanks for the tip!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Its venus.. I looked it up with this software that shows the positions of the planets to the earth.. Venus is passing VERY close by.. It will be gone within the next 3 weeks.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl
All I can tell you guys is that I've been out with my scopes dozens of times now and even took a daytime photo of Venus. I'm no expert by any means but I've not seen anything other than a very bright Venus. But I can only speak for myself.

Yea, finally got a couple of clear nights over the last week and got a glimpse of our fate.

Add another one for Venus from me. A bright venus though.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

I live along the west coast of washington state and have been completely awed by the bright celestial body (or is it?) in the western sky at night.

At first I thought it was a plane, but knew it off-the-beaten path and so late at night. It shines so brightly and is rather large in size. When thinking perhaps it was a helicopter with a search light, I knew that was not it either. The further I drove into the long, dark highway west I knew that it was something else?! But what??!?!?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think I know what your talking about. It first caught my attention in the amazon, and now back in Canada I'm looking to. It seems very different to me. I'm going to give the meta-physical opinion "more energy man, more light, global warming is affecting other planets, the sun, with its increased solar flares and what"
. I do think it could be an increase in energy, and that its just venus or something that happens to be brighter these days. But I remain open to all possibilities.

I'll show you the pictures I took that blew my mind. The object had a halo just like the moon, and was much brighter and profound then the picture shows.

It was the amazon, so water vapour could be a factor, but we were having some dry days, but it was the start of the rainy season. I couldn't give an accurate direction though. It was a few weeks ago.

Here are my pictures:

This one is great.

The trees there had a beautiful aura about them. The jungle was a deep experience for me.

Anyways if you want the high-res pictures let me know. I don't have .RAW versions because my camera has an option to take JPG's, which I prefer. But I can give you un-edited versions as the picture history might show, for those who know how to look into that sort of thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

The camera was a Canon rebel xti, lens, a crappy 18 - 35 mm one, the one it comes with. I need a better one. I've been meaning to get into astrophotography but I need the proper telescope mount, and my scope it old. I've seen some great things on the moon i'd like share as well.

I bought a nightvison simple CCD camera which I wanted to rig up as well but without a laptop it becomes complicated.

The F stop in the pictures were probably very high as I was trying to capture details. I was using a tiny tripod and use put the camera on night setting, probably 10 - 25 seconds for the picture to capture. But the file information will tell you all that.

Was much cooler seeing it for yourself.

I was looking for stuff constantly while I was in Peru for it's link to U.F.O's.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
GOOGLE SERCH 12-21-2012
11:11AM UT READY?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I am just having a really hard time believing that this is Venus. I am still not convinced. It still strikes me as something that just appeared out of nowhere. I have been sky watching for years. I have never seen Venus this bright or big for such a long amount of time, nor any other celestial body within the vicinity.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join