It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
ive notisted this for a few months now from wot i can remember it just appeard one night, it was so bright i thought for a few minites it was an oncoming plane coming into land @luton airport as it was in the flyte path and i allways see them oncoming in that direction, but it just hung there and moves over night from north west to south west, i have never seen this before its the first time ive ever thought wow wot is that in the sky its the brightest thing in the sky by miles,

also ive had all my freinds and family come to me and say come and looks at this and ive been like wot? and thay say look in the sky quickly and ive just replyed yeah i know i see it last week or wot ever, so everybody is notising it! and its something we all havent seen before.... or as bright!

ive looked on that steller website thing and cant seem to find wot im looking at im pretty sure its not venues or sirus, so wot is it? you can even see it standing under a lamp post light witch normally filters out the night sky, its just as notisable as the moon,

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Sorry if anything I post has already been posted....

I too have been watching Venus since last August. Venus goes through phases like the moon, like a waxing and waning and is sometimes on a path that seems it moves towards the Earth, making her look huge in the sky. I have watched the stars for a few years and I have seen Venus look as if she was going to pop out of the sky and fall to Earth

I just read some stuff about how many crafts have been sent to Venus, which I find amazing and hard to believe due to the harsh temperatures and ill makeup of Venus. I read they estimated it to be a 1 billion yrs old due to the little craters (when compared to Earth and Mars) that is on Venus. I do not find that a safe way to theories Venus' age what so ever. But anywho

www.nasa.gov...

I am a believer in the stars showing a cycle that is the father of time more or less. I love to study ancient religions and I think that all cultures interpreted the cosmic clock and their fate through the ages (or tried anyways). Venus had some neat conjunctions last yr and it began sparking a high interest around Aug due to people looking for those conjunction. Venus and Jupiter conjuncted on DEC 1 (going by memory here, correct if wrong ) and this was the time where Jupiter, Venus and the moon all formed a triangular formation. Most of the Northern Hem. saw a frowning face....most of the southern Hem. saw a happy face (again, correct if wrong pls).

She has been busy soaking up energies and putting them forth. The ancient say that Venus used to have a kinda of tail, sometimes 2 tails. She is the closest and brightest planet in our sky. But.........she is fixing to disappear ....and will return to our sights in 2010.

www.earthsky.org...

"Now Venus is poised to pass between the Earth and sun, and afterward reappear in the eastern sky before dawn. But you’ll still see Venus in the evening for a few more weeks. As seen from both the northern and southern hemispheres, Venus will disappear from the evening sky by the end of March.

The tilt of the ecliptic – or pathway of the sun, moon and planets – at early evening gives the northern hemisphere Earth’s best view of Venus throughout March. As seen from mid-northern latitudes, the ecliptic circles high overhead on March evenings. But, at mid-southern latitudes the ecliptic lurks low in the evening sky.

So Venus appears higher up in the sky from here than in the southern hemisphere. That’s Venus – the brightest planet – still visible in the evening between now and late March.

Another interesting feature of the path of Venus this month is that, this month, the planet climbs to its maximum distance north of the sun. This means it’ll be possible for northern hemisphere viewers to see Venus before sunrise and after sunset on the same day, as Venus transitions to the morning sky later this month. Watch for Venus’ double feature to happen around March 25. "

Tomorrow....Venus will be the brightest for 2009.

www.earthsky.org...

Its cool to see everyone watching and enjoying

Anyone into watching conjunctions? Venus 8 conjunctions with planets through 2008 and conjunted with Regulus (little king), the heart of Leo the Lion). Venus and Mercury held a conjunctions that lasted for 3 days. Sept. 11 of last yr. Venus cconjuncted Mars. Then the Dec. 1st illuminations wrapped up Venus' path very beautifully for '08. Venus makes a great tool to view conjunctions due to her brightness and easiness to see already, another planet or star just adds to her.

I could go on....

LV

[edit on 18-2-2009 by LeoVirgo] My spelling sucks

[edit on 18-2-2009 by LeoVirgo]

[edit on 18-2-2009 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nitestrider

Originally posted by fleabit
It's a known star, it's not something new.

If there was something THAT bright in the sky, that everyone can see it very easily with the unaided eye, every institution that has a telescope in their backyard, every observatory, anyone that knows spit about astronomy would have been all over this. It would have been huge news in any circles.

So are you saying that it is a Star and not a Planet? Which Star would it be? Seems a little to big to be a star, its totally different colour and alot bigger!

For what it's worth, and no disrespect for those reporting seeing this, I'd guess that some people are seeing Venus, some are seeing Sirius, perhaps others seeing something else. Once someone says "omg there is a bright object in the sky!", everyone looks, and starts reporting seeing it as well, with the likely case that it's not even the same object.

Is it twinkling quite a bit, as reported by many? Then probably a star. Not really twinkling? Then it's Venus, most likely.

I'm just saying, there is NO way this is something new. It's flipping impossible.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I'm just saying, there is NO way this is something new. It's flipping impossible.

Yes, and you would know, because your life experience and 300 years of science can determine what is possible or not on a galactic scale.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You are right, it is nothing new....and Sirius in in the opposite area of the sky for the most part, so the direction doesnt match that.

LV

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
do you guys think this object can be seen from Singapore? i live in singapore every night i saw a bright object, i thought it's Venus?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Sorry if this is a re-post. I've been skimming the posts and have yet to see this comet idea. From yahoo.com:

Backward green comet makes one-time only visit

WASHINGTON – An odd, greenish backward-flying comet is zipping by Earth this month, as it takes its only trip toward the sun from the farthest edges of the solar system. The comet is called Lulin, and there's a chance it can be seen with the naked eye — far from city lights, astronomers say. But you'll most likely need a telescope, or at least binoculars, to spot it.

The best opportunity is just before dawn one-third of the way up the southern sky. It should be near Saturn and two bright stars, Spica and Regula.

Personally, I use the old planetarium program "Skyglobe" and it confirms the previous astro-savvy points about Venus, Saturn, the star Sirius, et al. I have not been able to stay up late enough to see the object several have described. I once got spooked by Venus myself
when it hovered on the western horizon turning orange/white/red/blue just before setting. My "Skyglobe" program straightened me out, though.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by RaptureMe2]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RaptureMe2

Dang a new comet? Haulin' the scopes out now to cool off for tonight then

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sergeant Stiletto

This is exactly what I see when looking west every single night. I too have just noticed it over the last month or so. The first time i saw it i believed it was some type of aircraft and stood there waiting for it to move. What part of the country are you in Sergeant? I'm in the northeast

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
i live in central Oregon up in the mountains and i see Venus every night but also see this weird star it looks blue to white but some time when u look at it it changes to a red color like a cop car flashing colors is this a satellite or some cool star or planet also it moves around the sky as the night pass's on

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I too have noticed a strange star in the sky... couple of months now, noticed it when walking home from work, London, UK, approx 1900hours.

Reading this thread alone leads me to believe it is Venus unless someone comes up with better evidence to suggest otherwise.

My second guess upon reading this thread is that it is Sirius.

I am not unconvinced that there isn't something cooking in space and I will not be surprised if it ties in with the alignment in 2012... I look forward to "chipping in" on future threads with my thoughts on this, but respecting this thread... now isn't the time.
en.wikipedia.org...

Thought the link refering to Maitreya and Share International was thought provoking, but I do think the theory is made somewhat redundant by the fact that Share International seem to imply a link with the UN...

www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com...

And yet on the UN website there is no mention of Share International...

www.un.org...
(if your interested type in share international and find a link)

Maybe that could be cleared up...?

Peace!

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Beanhearbeefor]

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Beanhearbeefor]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's really just Venus. I've toted my scopes out a dozen times to view the object and it's Venus...really...maybe even unfortunately
I even snapped a daytime photo of the moon and Venus. It's viewable in another thread here.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
OK I just assumed it must be Venus and since it is SO big and SO bright that you can't really miss it, isn't their any astronomers here to absolutly confirm this?

I am not all that young and Venus has never to my memory appeared that large and there is a bluish twinkle. I was observing it at the beach here in Los Angeles.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

It's probably the international space station. The sun reflects off the solar panels and it's well known that it is the brightess object in the night sky.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I've come to the conclusion now that the bright object I've been seeing is indeed Venus, as many have pointed out, though I never saw it this bright ever before.

I also said earlier that I saw it next to Orion, but I guess I was mistaken, they're pretty far apart.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Here is an interesting shot of that bright monster I took tonight, and look real close. Do you see a tetrahedron or do you see a sphere? Then check out the second link about a moon of Saturn, Iapetus, and ponder it for a while. For an even closer look at Iapetus in the third link. I found this stuff fascinating.

Shot at 7pm from East Texas 2/18/09
There is no sharpening or other filters used here, this is directly from the RAW data to Jpeg.

www.christianseidler.com...

www.alienvideo.net...

www.enterprisemission.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

The one your seeing next to Orion could be Sirius. If you follow the stars in the belt of Orion....they point straight to Sirius. Try that tonight or tomorrow and see if that is the star you might be seeing by Orion.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Does anyone know of a free downloadable program that is available to simulate the solar system? so we can watch how the planets move and rotate in respect to each other and maybe add objects as your own comets etc... Would help show what is going on.

Does it still appear to be getting brighter everywhere? Has it changed drastically since the 21st Jan?

Rgds
Peace and Love to you All

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join