It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I live (somewhere..) in the Midwest USA. Last night, I was walking from my local grocer, back to my home. The weather was a crisp still chill, and the night sky was clear. I looked Westward and was staring at this super bright white thing sitting there. I was saying to myself, "well, that MUST be Venus, but I have NEVER seen it, that bright and large!" I have seen the optical illusion of when an aircraft light appears to be a stationary light in the sky, while the craft is flying toward you. So I stood there and waited for a change from this thing, because I at --first--, was convinced it was a plane illusiuon. But this light did not move nor change. Something in the night sky or space, is --different-- lately. Thats for sure.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Guys, I got my meade ETX125 out last night and pointed it at Venus. It is definitely and absolutely Venus (The brightest light in the night sky beside the moon, which wasn't out last night.)

It was 1/2 to 3/4 Occluded like a partial moon.

Put this one to rest, seriously.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
www.astronomy.ie...(feb).html

i have been observing this bright object since dec 24th 08

every night leaving work at 5.00 pm, not as much now,(i miss the sunset now, as the sun sets later 6.00pm) but it did look like landing lights on a plane, coming in to land, it was so bright!( i was on a hill in the middle of no where)

it actually broke through cloud!

not something i've ever seen in my life time (kicking the arse of 50

)

then there is the multi twinkling coloured star? (which was brought to my attention by my son)don't know if its one and the same?

i am not a astronomer by any means, but i do look at the sky and i do notice changes!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I was outside last night at around 8pm when it appeared in the sky(Western Australia). I showed my mates and they all just relised how bright it is, they couldnt work out what it was as well. It would of been 10 times brighter than any star. It makes the stars look like small minature dots. When i got home at 10pm it was gone from the sky all together. So I could only see it for 2 hours...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Meremortal, I will also----be 50 pretty soon. Seen a LOT of strange stuff in my half-a-hundred. But nowdays, seems (to me anyway) like it's all ramped-up. Whats going on?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by meremortal
www.astronomy.ie...(feb).html

i have been observing this bright object since dec 24th 08

every night leaving work at 5.00 pm, not as much now,(i miss the sunset now, as the sun sets later 6.00pm) but it did look like landing lights on a plane, coming in to land, it was so bright!( i was on a hill in the middle of no where)

it actually broke through cloud!
then there is the multi twinkling coloured star? (which was brought to my attention by my son)don't know if its one and the same?

i am not a astronomer by any means, but i do look at the sky and i do notice changes!

not something i've ever seen in my life time (kicking the arse of 50

)

Hi meremortal
First thanks for the post.
Second I appreciate your post more than others because I respect the fact that you are "kicking the arse of of 50" And well if you have been kicking around on this planet for 50 odd years and you make a statement like "not something i've ever seen in my life time" Well that really resonates with me.

As best as I can tell there are two culprits
The first is viewable from just before sunset till around 10pm roughly west north west in western Canada. It is big and bright does not pulse different colours, although it seems to be attached to or very close to another star (I believe it is venus) however I have never seen it this bright...not even close

The second culprit comes out later and is higher on the horizon viewable south from the aforesaid location. I notice this "star" around 1130pm and onward, this is the star that pulsates different colours. And yet again I have never seen this object before.
For those of you who want to investigate this further here is the link to download a free program. Its very quick and simple to use. Just enter your location and time it shows you a map of all the stars and planets, all you need aside from this is a compass and a watch to know the time and what direction you are looking
files.uberdownloads.com...
Best regards and thank you all for your opinions and investigations.
I had no idea this thread would interest so many people.
I truly respect all of your opinions and input, so thanks again to one and all

[edit on 17-2-2009 by foremanator]

[edit on 17-2-2009 by foremanator]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's allegedly Venus. I noticed it way back in August and knew it wasn't any star I'd seen before. Since August, it's gotten much brighter. I read somewhere that it should reach it's peak of brightness before february is over. I think it's brighter and bigger than normal because ALL the planets in the solar system are increasing in energy output, brightness, magnetic fields are stronger, some warmer (like Earth), even the ice caps on Mars have been disappearing. Global warming is not, and has not been limited to Earth as they'd like you to believe. It's been happening all over... the proof is in the sky

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Planets appear brighter when their orbits bring them closer to Earth. Since they only reflect light from the sun their position impacts their apparent brightness.

I'm not sure what the "energy output" is that is referred to though Jupiter puts out quite the magnetic field as well as tremendous radiation I would assume due to it's size and makeup.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by griffinrl]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Okay. I just downloaded Stellarium, and I went outside. I'm near New York City, and it is 9 pm. I could see Orion clearly in the west-southwest, and my view of the sky right now is completely reverse to this picture. Opposite and upside down.

In my view, Betelgeuse is above Orion's belt, and Sirius is off slightly to the left -- which I think would mean it is east of the belt -- and it is slightly lower.
Which is just the reverse of this picture I think.

Venus is below the horizon now.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
www.space.com...
some good stuff here but i don't follow it very well. You'll see venus
in the sky with the moon to the left of it around feb.27th i think.
before then which is now it should be in the west way before sunset.
correct if wrong please.
njl

reply to post by foremanator

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's a known star, it's not something new.

If there was something THAT bright in the sky, that everyone can see it very easily with the unaided eye, every institution that has a telescope in their backyard, every observatory, anyone that knows spit about astronomy would have been all over this. It would have been huge news in any circles.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
It's a known star, it's not something new.

If there was something THAT bright in the sky, that everyone can see it very easily with the unaided eye, every institution that has a telescope in their backyard, every observatory, anyone that knows spit about astronomy would have been all over this. It would have been huge news in any circles.

So are you saying that it is a Star and not a Planet? Which Star would it be? Seems a little to big to be a star, its totally different colour and alot bigger!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Nice Website you found there. Seems like it might be Venus after all. But in the picture they show, it looks more like the size of jupiter when compared to the moon.

www.space.com... +and+Mercury+will+be+easy+to+find+using+the+moon+as+a+guide.+Mars+will+require+binoculars.+Credit%3A+Starry+Night+software

Or maybe its all just a Cover Up to hide the truth!! lol

"If you ever wanted to see a planet so bright it will take your breath away, this is your week and Venus is the planet. It hangs lantern-like, high in the west as darkness falls. It's so bright now that you should have little trouble finding it even before sunset in a clean, deep blue sky – which is also a good time to look at its dramatic crescent shape in a telescope."

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I dont know if Ive been seeing the same thing. Around 9 I see it to the west from in Arizona. But tonight it was different. It was there one second, big and bright in the sky, and the next it was gone. And theres not a cloud in the sky. Iunno if Im seeing what others are seeing.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by Chadwickus

Okay. I just downloaded Stellarium, and I went outside. I'm near New York City, and it is 9 pm. I could see Orion clearly in the west-southwest, and my view of the sky right now is completely reverse to this picture. Opposite and upside down.

In my view, Betelgeuse is above Orion's belt, and Sirius is off slightly to the left -- which I think would mean it is east of the belt -- and it is slightly lower.
Which is just the reverse of this picture I think.

Venus is below the horizon now.

That's because I mistakenly took it from the southern hemisphere, that's why it appears upside down.

I believe I corrected myself later on.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by killing_moon

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I feel that this bright object fades in and out of view. It is usually very bright, but as you gaze at it there are times where the brightness fades to the intensity of any other bright star. I keep rationalizing passing clouds as being the cause of this. But I can't see any clouds.

I take a road in and out of my town that goes up and over a mountain. Every night as I drive I stare at this thing thinking it's an oncoming plane.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Ill take a picture of it 2nite with my digital camera. Should be able to upload the pic later 2nite or 2moro. If someone else can take a pic that would be great, as we could then compare what it looks like from different parts of the world. Ill be taking my pic from Perth, Western Australia, and the star is always to my West.

Oh by the way, thought i might mention that on Saturday during the day i was driving home and noticed something in the sky. It was very high up in the sky and was glowing a bright white colour. It was rectangle in shape and wasnt moving at all. I was watching it for about 10 minutes and it was just sitting there. The brightness off it was very white and very different to the yellow colour of the sun. I got home and went inside to get a drink and when i came back outside it was gone. Have no idea what it was.... oh and it was in the same spot that i usally see the bright light at night time...

[edit on 17-2-2009 by nitestrider]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
@www.shareintl.org...-47857

The Master's article for
Share International magazine,
January - February 2009
Maitreya’s first interview
by the Master —, through Benjamin Creme, 11 January 2009

In the very near future, people everywhere will have the opportunity to witness an extraordinary and significant sign, the like of which has been manifested only once before, at the birth of Jesus. Then, according to Christian teaching, a star appeared in the heavens and led three wise men from the East to the birthplace of Jesus. Soon, once again, a star-like luminary of brilliant power will be seen around the world. What does this mean? How is it possible?

The answer lies in the fact that this mysterious event is a sign, and heralds the beginning of Maitreya’s open mission. Soon after the sign appears in our skies, Maitreya will give His first media interview on American television.

@wikipedia
Although the word wormwood appears several times in the Old Testament, translated from the Hebrew term לענה (la'anah), e.g., Deuteronomy 29:18 and Jeremiah 9:15, its only clear reference as a named entity occurs in the New Testament book of Revelation: "And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter." (Revelation 8:10, 11 - KJB).

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I totally forgot to look today, ha! From the posts I read tho it seems that it is Venus. I guess we will just have to wait and see if she gets dim again.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This is some really good footage of Venus.
www.youtube.com...
This is the other star
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 18-2-2009 by foremanator]

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join