It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi judge sentences pregnant gang-rape victim to 100 lashes for committing adultery

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Nice find, good to see the story is corroborated.

I've an english aunt in saudi maried to an arab and as much as i dont get to speak to her any more i know there have been problems in the past to the extent where shes considered doing a runner with the two kids, things like this are always a concern for me as you never know how close to home this can hit.

Its good to hear that saudi press arn't too happy with this either.

sty

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

let me guess: in prison , this unfortunate tortured woman will continue to be raped by the guards, then she will get even more prison for adultery (again). Right?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Im sure you missed a LOL from the end of your last post.

Second line.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

I wouldnt be suprised to be honnest with yah, who knows what goes on in a saudi jail, if the US army can do the things (regardless of who gave the order) they did in the middle eastern jail houses they ran, then surely these barbarians will be doing 10 fold.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Is anyone interested in learning about different cultures rather than vilifying and antagonizing them?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
reply to post by Frogs

let me guess: in prison , this unfortunate tortured woman will continue to be raped by the guards, then she will get even more prison for adultery (again). Right?

Umm..I honestly have no idea what she will face in prison or why you would ask me that?

Some were questioning the source of the OP and I found the Saudi source that collaborated the story so I posted it and indicated that from the comments there the verdict doesn't seem to a popular one.

Frankly, you have me confused as to why you would ask me that.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellish-D
Is anyone interested in learning about different cultures rather than vilifying and antagonizing them?

There's a difference between making an anthropological observation and calling a spade a spade. I really don't care what the rationalization is. These are obviously primative cultures playing in a civilised world. This is why when honour killings and such barbarisms are committed over here, we prosecute them for what they are...not what they might represent in an anthro petrie dish. Sorry, but I can't grant you your point here.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

well i would love to learn more.
fact is they punished an already punished person for being the victim of a horrendous act and horrible situation.
lets get to know each other and discuss the good things of life and the proper justice system

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiorano

lets get to know each other and discuss the good things of life and the proper justice system

'Proper justice system' meaning 'our' justice system, right?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Now people want the U.S. to get involved i thought we were supposed to stop being world police. Damn make up your miind.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
These are obviously primative cultures playing in a civilised world.

primitive and civilized are relative terms.

This is why when honour killings and such barbarisms are committed over here, we prosecute them for what they are...not what they might represent in an anthro petrie dish. Sorry, but I can't grant you your point here.

Over here, we have our laws as defined by our culture.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
These are obviously primative cultures playing in a civilised world.

primitive and civilized are relative terms.

This is why when honour killings and such barbarisms are committed over here, we prosecute them for what they are...not what they might represent in an anthro petrie dish. Sorry, but I can't grant you your point here.

Over here, we have our laws as defined by our culture.

We don't whip our victims of sexual assault. Not only am I quite comfortable with that, I'm comfortable with my thoughts on the issue. This ain't "Wild Kingdom", and these barbarians don't deserve an apologist.

And I have plenty of Anthro in my background.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Congrats on the anthro point, but it is irrelevant.

Our justice system has its own levels of barbarism.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellish-D Our justice system has its own levels of barbarism.

Define 'our'. Here in Canada, not only do we not have the death penalty, but we also don't extradite people to be executed. Well, I think our new guy Steve has had it done, but I don't expect we'll have him around much longer. Still, it ain't perfect, but no executions.

Or cutting the hands off of thieves. Or flogging rape victims.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

I've learned more than enough about Saudi Culture over the years since I first went to "protect" it from the evil Iraqis. And I can truly say, that culture is quite capable of vilifying itself without my input.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
And my only point is that one culture cannot judge another based on a completely different point of reference. Cultural chauvinism is easy to embrace.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I agree with hellish,we may not like their culture but these sorts of things are embedded deeply,VERY deeply in saudi society.Again i think this is vile and deplorable but thats how things happen..and have been happening well before America was even a country.What we should do is put pressure on the saudis to change this sadistic view of justice...what we shouldnt do is force them,cultures change and look forward on their own..it wasn't too long ago americans were hanging black people.It was the will of the people that changed things like that,the people of saudi arabia will demand such things in the future of their own accord,it has nothing to do with us.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
it wasn't too long ago americans were hanging black people.It was the will of the people that changed things like that,the people of saudi arabia will demand such things in the future of their own accord,it has nothing to do with us.

Thing is, the Royals are hardly able to keep a cap on the mullahs...paying ton's o' dough in baksheesh. The wahabbi culture is that of the desert.

You won't be seeing it come from the ground up anytime soon. They need to know that if they want to take their place in the modern world, there's gotta be some rules changed.

Like was espoused in Afghanistan and Iraq. But given the sucess there, perhaps using a little more finesse.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

You have to keep in mind that it is by state. Texas has streamlined it and make it a weekly event.

Where I am at, I don't think anyone has been executed in my lifetime.

In a way, you kinda have to look at each state as seperate countries, they each have their own ideals and laws.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I think their reasoning for punishing a rape victim is that she" asked for it". She might of been too sexy, showing an ankle or something. And brought the situation on her.
Not saying it justifies it, just the reasoning they use.

And of course, anyone can take advantage of the sitaution. Maybe her family turned someone down for marriage, so they rape her to have her killed for spite.

Gosh those poor women.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join