It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi judge sentences pregnant gang-rape victim to 100 lashes for committing adultery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by groingrinder
Are you kidding me? What has the UN done to stop the genocide of the Palestinians? What have they done to stop the illegal settlements being built on Palestinian land? What have they done to stop the blockade and withholding of food and medical supplies?

You are joking, right? Every time a resoltuion comes up in the Un with the teeth to "stop the genocide of the Palestinians" or "stop the illegal settlements being built on Palestinian land" it has been vetoed..

Guess who did that?

Americans like to paint the picture of an ineffective UN, when it is the USA itself that hampers the UN when it tries to stop the very things you're complaining they don't stop...

Oh, the irony.

How can the UN stop something that does not exist? Even ardent anti-Semites should realize Israel is powerful enough to kill every Palestinian in a matter of days if they chose. Given that Israel breaks its back not to kill indiscriminately, and goes after Hamas, how can anyone claim genocide is going on?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

I didn't. Notice the quotation marks

Oh, Groingrinder, I never said you personally vetoed those resolutions either..

Must be something to do with the the hour of the day or something, but people are reading things that were never posted, at least by me.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Depriving an entire country of food and medicine. No genocide here. Please move along.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
i apologize for my off topic comments.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
but i'm still angry at you yanks for your death penalty policies.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
It’s not our culture.
It's also not our responsibility.
If American’s would pay more attention to what’s happening on her own doorstep and stop intruding into the lives and the customs of others - you know what- the NWO would have one hell of a lot harder job ahead of them globalizing the world.

But no, Americans have to push their collective noses in everyone else's business, diversifying their intent, when their intent should be focused on themselves, their own crisis and the deplorable condition of their poverty stricken, their veterans, the education and care of their own children.

Do I abhor the traditions practiced by this culture.
Yes.
But I repeat,
It is not my culture.
It is not my business.
They are not My People.

Let their mothers sacrifice and stand up to protect their daughters.
Let their sisters take a stand.
Let their fathers stop washing blood from their hands and stop this practice!
But on their own.
Not Us, or should I sad not the US.

Leave other cultures alone.
It’s the one thing the NWO can’t fight.
Unless the USA is right their forcing these cultures to *change* poking them with pointed sticks while wearing blindfolds of their own.

peace

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
pfff ... you have no right to tell another country what to do when you still murder your own countrymen.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I agree, silo13. It is their country, their culture and their laws.

We all know that it is wrong, without a doubt. However, that's how they do things over there. Let them sort out their own mess.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll
that coming from the daily mail makes me skeptical of its validity but who knows ...

the daily mail is the most pompous and idiotic of all the british papers - their patriotism almost boarders on racism.

if its not 'Princess Diana - Cover Up Exclusive' or 'Muslim Refuses to take off Veil' then i'd probably faint from the shock of a REAL news story!

Infact you should see the Daily Express, its alot worse and it owns the Daily Star!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
Isn't Saudi Arabia on the Human Rights Commission of the UN?

Sure enough!

Kind of hard to believe, isn't it!

And believe it or not, all the members of the UN voted them into the commission! (or at least enough of them to get them on the commission!)

United Nations Human Rights Council - Wikipedia

The members of the General Assembly elect the members who occupy the UNHRC's forty-seven seats. The term of each seat is three years, and no member may occupy a seat for more than two consecutive terms.

And here's the part I like the most!

The resolution establishing the UNHRC states that "members elected to the Council shall uphold the highest standards in the promotion and protection of human rights." The General Assembly may, by a vote of two-thirds of its members, suspend the rights and privileges of a member if that member has persistently committed gross and systematic violations of human rights.

Well, the UN General Assembly should, at the VERY least, suspend Saudi Arabia from the council for their human rights violations.

Along with some of the other countries sitting on the council right now!

Like the Philippines, ...
Welcome to the Philippine Human Rights Reporting Project website

and Indonesia,
Joint report blames Indonesia for ETimor human rights abuse

and Bahrain,
Human Rights Watch World Report 2009 - Bahrain Section

and Pakistan,
Massive human rights violations in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir

and China!
A controversial post about China's human rights abuses

I could go on and do this with other countries that are sitting on the UN's Human Rights Commission, but I think you probably got the point by now!

How do you expect the UN's Human Rights Commission to actually do anything about human rights anywhere when members of the commission themselves are violating human rights?

[edit on 2/12/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You sound like a tired old broken record.
In the African continent, rapes are used as a war method. The USA were and still is behind most of the dictators/rebel groups and I cant see you bitching about that?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
And people wonder why the UN is ineffective and carries little credibility...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
Interesting isn't it how the US runs in to free Afghan women from the Taliban but are in bed with the Saudis. They are by far the most oppressive of nations against women, but the US remains silent.

I suppose there is nothing that can be done to help this young woman as they have no legal rights or recourse. Sad and sickening.

Bingo. What more can be said, really?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Does VETO'ing means anything to you? And who are behind most of the VETO's?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skittle

Does VETO'ing means anything to you? And who are behind most of the VETO's?

As anyone who knows anything concerning the UN knows, the US has veto power in the Security Council. Most resolutions are passed, or not, in the General Assembly, where every member nation has 1 vote.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by stevegmu]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The role of honor within Islamic states is extremely important. Anthropologist Lila Abu-Lughod wrote an ethnography on a Bedouin tribe outside of Egypt in which the role of gender is very important.

As with many cultures, the role of the individual is a direct reflection of the family as a whole. Lughod explains that the actions of an individual will reflect on an entire family, from the patriarch down. The honor or virtue (asl) of an individual is a directly symbolic of a family’s lineage. And, since most power is derived directly from the respect a family holds among neighboring groups and even their own dependants, a lack of asl will result directly in a loss of power.

Among men, asl is characterized by the ability to maintain the masculine roll. This is most often displayed through reverence of those with higher social status, and maintaining the respect of those dependent on you, and the ability to support them as necessary. Ultimately, the family’s patriarch is the one who carries the most responsibility for a family and all dependants. When Lughod refers to dependants, she refers to those who are not of direct blood lineage, but work for a particular family. In much of American culture, respect is a rather subjective concept, but among the Bedouin it is very specific and is maintained by strict cultural ideals.

Among women, these cultural ideals are also necessary, but in some senses, very different. Highest of all is to maintain the honor of one’s family. As Lughod said, this is required of all Bedouins. Women most often display asl through modesty. To be immodest (shameless) is a display of an immodest family, and a lack of asl. Again, to lose asl is to lose familial power and respect among neighboring families. This can ultimately result in the loss of trade, contracts and dependants. As these things are lost, so goes the ability of the patriarch to support the rest of his family.

Just thought I’d throw out some perspective.

It's really an interesting read. Check out Veiled Sentiments by Lina Abu-Lughod. It really helps in explaining veiling and the woman's roll in Bedouin society.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I noticed some questioning the source of the info in the OP

So, I found another source. Here is the story from the Saudi Gazette..

Saudi Gazette

Girl gets a year in jail, 100 lashes for adultery
By Adnan Shabrawi
JEDDAH – A 23-year-old unmarried woman was awarded one-year prison term and 100 lashes for committing adultery and trying to abort the resultant fetus.
The District Court in Jeddah pronounced the verdict on Saturday after the girl confessed that she had a forced sexual intercourse with a man who had offered her a ride. The man, the girl confessed, took her to a rest house, east of Jeddah, where he and four of friends assaulted her all night long.
The girl claimed that she became pregnant soon after and went to King Fahd Hospital for Armed Forces in an attempt to carry out an abortion. She was eight weeks’ pregnant then, the hospital confirmed.
According to the ruling, the woman will be sent to a jail outside Jeddah to spend her time and will be lashed after delivery of her baby who will take the mother’s last name. – Okaz/SG

It seems to be basically the same story as the Daily Mail minus comments about "midevil law".

Also of interest, this verdict does not appear to be very popular with readers of the Saudi Gazette either juding from the comments.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Frogs]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Frogs]

sty

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
It is because a woman cannot testify against a man. It takes 2 women to testify against one man (sometimes even this can go unaccepted by the judges ) . Also if you are a non-Muslim, you do not have any right to defend against a muslim or testify against a muslim. The list can go on. And now UK denies entrance of an EU citizen just because he dares to talk about this barbaric juridical system. I hope we will not wake up when it will be too late.. we cannot allow the islamisation of Europe in exchange for petrol..

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
And people wonder why the UN is ineffective and carries little credibility...

Jeez...I thought it was because the U.S. is a little behind in it's dues.

But come on, guys...the Saudis are our pals, right? Cuz we are allied with them against cruel zealots like Saddam, and the Taliban.

Not only are you mean-mouthing our buddies, but you're saying our governments are hypocrites...and just ain't nice. For shame.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join