It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic shelf collapse could tilt Earth's axis: researchers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Antarctic shelf collapse could tilt Earth's axis: researchers

www.abc.net.au

A new study in Canada suggests that the collapse of a large portion of the Antarctic ice shelf would shift the very axis of the planet.

Geophysicists at the University of Toronto looked at the possible effects on the earth if sea levels rise because of a collapse of the west Antarctic ice shelf.

The Toronto researchers say the melting of the ice sheet will actually cause the earth's rotation to shift dramatically - about 500 metres from its current position if the entire ice sheet melts - and that would result in much higher sea levels in some areas than previously expected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
When I first read this I thought what nonesense, but then the penny dropped! Could this really be a way to try and cover up the upcoming pole shift prediction for 2012?

Maybe they are trying to hide the fact that something else (ie: another planet) is responsible for the pole shift.

OR, could this BE the reason for the predicted pole shift?

Hmmm, the mind boggles....

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Starred and flagged, great find!

I smell a cover-up afoot...that's just my opinion though (I'm a Nibiru/2012 believer, so sue me!
), so I could be wrong! Peace.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by matth]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
good find!
maybe this is the change the mayans meant back in the days!

I really like to know what's gonna happen to us humans when the axis are shifted?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
One of my shelfs collapsed from too many global-warming books on it!

Yeah, I believe in theories involving ice sheets collapsing or breaking away and causing huge, sudden movements of ocean, and rising sea levels around the low-lying coastal regions of the world.

Put yer waders on!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
This has been happening for a while now. Check out this link.

If I remember correctly, the tsunami back in '04 (?) was so powerful that it knocked the Earth off its axis by 3 degrees.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The actual upcoming event 2012 predicted by many ancient cultures, is real.
I have been studying ancient religion and it is all there, same as today, except for one major difference, we are closer to 2012 then they were.

"axis of the planet could change" this was mentioned by many to "Dogons" "Sumerians" "Egyptians" Mayans" and so on...
But all there talk about poleshift is related to the coming of the HUGE giant or planetx or the most popular Nibiru or NASA`s own name for it 2003UB313.
And if you have some numerological sense you can se the resemblance to 2012nibiru.

www.youtube.com...

According to many of the ancient society's the coming of a HUGE planet is just a natural cycle, which happens exactly just to change the poles. This has been studied by Nasa with other planet involved.

But who knows at the end...we will see hopefully if the Gods want...

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Kukulcangod]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Story Here

NASA scientists using data from the Indonesian earthquake calculated it affected Earth's rotation, decreased the length of day, slightly changed the planet's shape, and shifted the North Pole by centimeters. The earthquake that created the huge tsunami also changed the Earth's rotation.

If this could happen with the 2004 tsunami then I'm sure that the ice shelf breaking off - being where it is and all - could also affect the earth in many ways.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well that is a great one to find. The good news is that maybe now I can sell my property as beach front property before there is even a beach here. The only thing is though it may turn colder depending on which way we shift. But maybe this is a cover up about the 2012 pole shift?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by matth

www.litefx2012.com

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Everyone also needs to remember that the earth is in the process of completing it's "wobble" saw michio talking about it on The Universe. No cover up, only natural process that geological evidence supposidly backs up.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I was under the impretion that the Earth's Axis' were controlled by magnetic forces. So if this is the case how would the shift of a material such as water affect global magnetism??????? I'm not buying into this, I would say climate changes are a possibility but a full axis shift, thats something that takes thousands of years to take place and I don't believe it would be changed by anything on the Earth's surface; the only force I believe capable of doing this would be a volcano eruption the size of Olympus Mons at the very north or south pole. Or like previously stated by another poster a major... major earthquake such as the tsunami disaster that dropped a half mile shelf onto the ocean floor. I still can't see something on the surface having the same affect; also the tsunami only said something about the rotation of Earth being slowed and a slight change of shape, it didn't say it had anything to do with the axis'.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by TNT13]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The tsunami on 04 was a effect of underwater volcano. Strange that that time a russian nuclear submarine went "missing" in that region.. Check the news from that time. I notice the shift as I was watching the Moon. I took some pictures of the Moon. Was a really a "global warming" or another piece of equipment went "missing".

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

This link is saying that the earth has tilted. Well, if that hasn't caused much change, then more shifting will not cause too much either.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Sorry guys, I'm going to need a little more evidence and persuasion before I believe this, let alone that it's some cover up for Nibiru.

Perhaps Al Gore should lay off Phelps' bong...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
What everyone has missed so far is that we are going to be told it is our fault due to Global warming.
Even though the poles have shifted in the past and no doubt will again in the future, This will help them usher in the carbon tax.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Ya its a shame the government trys to tax us for carbon emissions when their bailing out number one companys that pollute the earth with our tax dollars...

Are they gonna tax me for exhaling 30,000 times a day, like wtf...

Anyways enough ranting, I feel this the only way to find out the truth is to wait it out, if something of this scale is gonna happen there will be next to nothing the coastal citys can do to prepare other then to evacuate... personally my house is gonna be floating down the river if that happens, lol, gonna have enough time to grab my laptop and make a quick ats post before im gone too, lol

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
This has been happening for a while now. Check out this link.

If I remember correctly, the tsunami back in '04 (?) was so powerful that it knocked the Earth off its axis by 3 degrees.

If the Earth was tilted 49degrees Alaska, Iceland, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Northern Russia, Northern Canada would currently be in a sunless winter like the North pole. This is kind of hard to cover up! (I live in Scotland and the sun is still in the same low position as it was 30 years ago and the sunset/sunrise times are the same)

So I'm afraid that link is to a very dismissable conspiracy theory. No doubt the author is a Global Warming skeptic.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Spock Shock

I can see your thread and its response.
My House Is Floating Away

Then the response.
Existing thread here
Thread closed.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

I'm thinking right and wrong
It probably will affect the earth somewhat.
When the Tsunami Hit Indonesia a few years ago it did alter the earths
rotation, but it was barely detectable.

So the Artic will be the same as. it's like the thickness of an egg shell on
an orange. I can't imagine it wobbling like Spinning Top out of control.
The size and mass of the earth compared to the artic, I seriosly doubt it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join