It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic shelf collapse could tilt Earth's axis: researchers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

I agree. the magnetic field is changing right now and will have far more serious consequences for us than any mythical AGW as it fades to zero, then reverses.

reply to post by Kukulcangod

But all there talk about poleshift is related to the coming of the HUGE giant or planetx or the most popular Nibiru or NASA`s own name for it 2003UB313.

UB313 is "Eris," a dwarf planet outside the Kuiper belt. It has an orbital period of 566 years and, at 2,500 mi. in diameter, is smaller than our moon. It has no effect on Earth except the imaginations and fears of certain of her inhabitants/infection.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Could an event like this be a possible explanation for the disappearance of Atlantis? If such an event is true the large displacement of water could have covered islands and other pieces of land...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by liesnomore
[The tsunami on 04 was a effect of underwater volcano. Strange that that time a russian nuclear submarine went "missing" in that region.]

Interesting, I wonder if a Russian Submarine fitted to carry a multi-stage hydrogen bomb- even a 1961 version- see here, designed to create an explosion at 50 megatons- equivalent to the force of 3800 Hiroshima bombs.

What's more, it could easily have been 100 megatons but the Russians halved that out of 'safety' concerns!

I wonder if such a bomb was detonated in the sea- would it have created an Tsunami?

Has anyone seen that US forces recruitment video in which a Tsunami comes roaring at you until it washes over you, then after the tsunami, you see the US navy anchored just offshore and Hueys with boxes (Aid) dangling below them?

Problem-Reaction-Solution?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
so this is the future of science?

alarmist predictions, fear mongering, desires for more Funding

bah, this isnt science anymore, its religion

and its totally irresponsible

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Once again, a moment of sanity seems to be in order.

IF you could compare the Earth to an average apple, then you can begin to understand that the hard 'crust' of the Earth, in thickness comparison, is about the same ratio to the diameter as the skin of an apple. In other words, the thickness of the Earth's 'skin' is, in relation to its diameter, about the same as an apple's skin to its diameter.

If you understand just a few basics about angular momentum, and the physics involved, then you'd be less worried.

Our planet has a great deal of mass, all in motion. THAT means inertia.

IF this planet were spinning at a very high rate (much more than once every 24 hours) then, yes, even the slightest imbalance MIGHT cause a disruption.

Shaving off an ice shelf from the Antarctic is tantamount to slicing less than a gram of apple skin....NEAR the Pole!!!! It isn't near the Equator, where the real imbalance might tend to have an effect.

Does any of this make any sense????

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chuffer

You are pretty dang close. The real solution to the Mayan calender is that the poles do shift and the earth will begin to turn over as it exits / breaks through the plane of the milky way. Our solar system originally was in pulled from another galaxy that was perpendicular to the milky way. Our solar system breaks through the milky ways plane approximately every 12,500 years causing the poles to shift / flip. There will be days when we will be at an even plane with the center of the milky way which will be very harmonious to say the least, begining on 12-21-12. The turbulence has already begun with earthquakes caused by the flexing of our planet near the center, the tumbling has begun.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I agree! If the ice shelf is about to chip off that won't be responsible for a pole shift...
that's nonsense.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn

When I first read this I thought what nonesense, but then the penny dropped! Could this really be a way to try and cover up the upcoming pole shift prediction for 2012?

Maybe they are trying to hide the fact that something else (ie: another planet) is responsible for the pole shift.

OR, could this BE the reason for the predicted pole shift?

Hmmm, the mind boggles....

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

what would the point be of covering up the cause but not the effect?
how does "we are all gonna die in a cataclysm caused by global warming" sound any better than "we are all gonna die in a cataclysm caused by another planet"

Still, pole shift due to ice shelf collapse is plausible, although the shift would be very tiny in number of degrees, it could be large enough to be catastrophic.

-rrr

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
i have read this theory before and it is certainly plausable. the pole shift theory is spoken of by the mayans themselves.

what happens on the earths surface can definatley affect things in a big way. look at the huge earthquake in china recently that killed 80,000 people. they reckon that was caused by us having a huge dam right near the fault line and this put so much weight pressure on it, that something had to give.

we are due for another pole shift as they happen every 13,000 yrs (proven fact), so i would not be surprised.

www.zetatalk.com...

have a look at this map.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
This has been happening for a while now. Check out this link.

If I remember correctly, the tsunami back in '04 (?) was so powerful that it knocked the Earth off its axis by 3 degrees.

if this was true, there would have been a major GPS outage on that day because the satellites relative position to the earth would have been unaffected by the tsunami. So GPS data would have resulted in errors. Since no major GPS blackout happened (that I know of) then I find this hard to believe.

EDITED:

I guess I have to reread this. Suppossedly there was in fact a major GPS outage. I still don't understand how the loss of GPS on that day was kept a secret... people have GPS in their cars, it's not like they would not have noticed?

-rrr

[edit on 6-2-2009 by rickyrrr]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This is the HAB theory is it not, many say it is just a theory but then aren't most things we know just theories?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

ricky,

Thanks for that modicum of sanity.

I truly, truly doubt that the Earth's axis, as it rotates, has been changed dramatically over the existence of Human History.

Again, it's about Angular Momentum. Or, maybe to be easier to understand, the gyroscopic effect.

The Earth DOES wobble slightly, in its rotation. The poles precess in a 23,000 year arc. This pretty well shows that only modern science is able to detect this minor precession. I mean, Human Civilization only began some 8,000 years ago (or 12,000, or 15,000, take your pick....but nowhere NEAR 23,000 years ago).

There IS some evidence to conclude that the 'MAGNETIC' poles have shifted, over the millenia. The dynamo that is the interior of our planet, that generates the magnetic field, is not yet well understood.

It is imperative to understand that, even today, MAGNETIC 'North' is not aligned directly with TRUE 'North', as we define it based on the Earth's axis of rotation.

The fluidity of the Earth's interior is the reason. AND, yes, the MAGNETIC poles do tend to wander, but over very, very long time spans, well beyond one human's. We're talking geologic time-frames, not Human time-frames here....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by rickyrrr

The Earth DOES wobble slightly, in its rotation. The poles precess in a 23,000 year arc. This pretty well shows that only modern science is able to detect this minor precession. I mean, Human Civilization only began some 8,000 years ago (or 12,000, or 15,000, take your pick....but nowhere NEAR 23,000 years ago).

Well, the precession cycle is close to 26,000 years.
Yes, civilizations have lived through these cycles and not just once.

I don't know where you have the information from that human civilization only began 8,000 years ago? Civilizations, in fact, started as early as 50,000 years ago.

I am sure you have heard about the famous "Cro-Magnon" or homo sapiens (basically our ancestor, though far better developed than us) around 35,000 years ago. Very advanced in culture, art, community lifestyle etc...
I don't even go into the topic of Atlantis here.

So, "we" would not be the first "civilization" to live through such a cycle.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhackerThe Earth DOES wobble slightly, in its rotation. The poles precess in a 23,000 year arc. This pretty well shows that only modern science is able to detect this minor precession. I mean, Human Civilization only began some 8,000 years ago (or 12,000, or 15,000, take your pick....but nowhere NEAR 23,000 years ago).

I have to disagree that only modern science is capable of detecting precession. I am sure I read somewhere - I cannot seem to recall where right now, I read a lot - that ancient civilisations were aware of and acurately measured precession. Whether or not ancient civilisations knew of it, certainly it was recognised long before modern science, I believe it is usually attributed to Hipparchus in 147-127BC.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor

I have to disagree that only modern science is capable of detecting precession. I am sure I read somewhere - I cannot seem to recall where right now, I read a lot - that ancient civilisations were aware of and acurately measured precession. Whether or not ancient civilisations knew of it, certainly it was recognised long before modern science, I believe it is usually attributed to Hipparchus in 147-127BC.

Well, the Mayans and other ancient cultures precisely tracked precession. And that thousands of years ago. So, modern science is just picking up the pieces again.....

[edit on 6-2-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
What everyone has missed so far is that we are going to be told it is our fault due to Global warming.
Even though the poles have shifted in the past and no doubt will again in the future, This will help them usher in the carbon tax.

They don't even know for sure if it really is global warming, or if c02 is causing it, but if it is, it's probably due more to cutting all the trees and paving over all the greenspace, since plants absorb c02 and give off oxygen, from what I remember in high school science.....

As far as the Antarctic sheet goes, maybe everything combined is melting it and also contributing to a possible pole shift, such as magnetic field losing strength, heading toward the galactic plane in 2012, and I believe also the sunspot activity is supposed to reach it's height around 2012, although right now, its not doing much of anything, which has the scientists worried.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Sounds more like the ash and smoke from Yellowstone supervolcano than a tsunami to me....do you see water in your dream?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yes, of course blame it on the ice shelf. Maybe they are doing that because it is something that is more understandable for the masses.

As to the sea level rising -- I read that only 10% of the world's water is locked up in the ice. I can't see how that would raise sea levels very much. And besides, water has less volume than ice. At this time the volume of the ice is displacing a lot of water. When it melts, the sea level may go down!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Reply to rickyrr and weedwhacker:

Do you people even read the whole thread or do you just read the title and hit "post reply"?

I've already conceded that my information was in error. Sheesh!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

OhZone!!!!

"water has less volume than ice"??? Your words.

Gee....such ignorance hasn't been spoken lately, except for some folks (past and present) in Government.

If you haven't noticed yet, ice tends to float in water. THIS IS BECAUSE ice is less dense than H2O.

This isn't a theory, or some way-out-there baloney, it is easily observed, and is a solid scientific understanding of how various subjects in our matter-oriented World interact.

Back to point....YES, indeed....a massive shelf of ice that calved off from the Antarctic Ice Shelf whould be very, very heavy. In terms of Human standards.

It would break up, eventually....and the local environment would be affected by all of the fresh-water diluting the salt water. BUT, it might raise the overall Ocean 'Sea Level' by, perhaps a centimeter or two.

Given that tidal forces cause variations in locally occuring ocean levels, that is why we use the term 'MSL', or 'mean sea level' as the standard. Because, when you're talking about a few feet, a few centimeters or inches are insignificant.

Back to the OP....Really?? A large ice shelf, near the pole, is somehow going to 'throw off' the rotation of the Earth??? Think about it!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join