It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic shelf collapse could tilt Earth's axis: researchers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yes, I know ice is less dense than water. Water swells when it freezes and therefore ice has more volume.
Try filling a bowl with ice cubes - heap them up, and when they have all melted the water will not likely overflow.You can pile them up pretty good to make up for any air spaces. Of course if you really made the effort you could stack it so that it would.

The rising sea scenario is part of TPTB fear campaign. Without massive crustal displacement - no big rise in sea level.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Just about everybody on this thread has mentioned something that could contribute big problems around 2012,

pole or axis shift because of the mentioned progression,

magnetic field has lost about 25% of strength, which could contribute to earth warming, melting the arctic ice,

entering the galactic plane,

the sun should be entering solar max, which as I said happens around 2012,

and I think an ancient Sumerian tablet shows an extra planet on it with an elongated orbit.

Our planet is not the only one experiencing a "warming" either, several planets further out are experiencing some type of warming or energization also if I remember correctly.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Actually, I read it Pravvda (spelling?) just recently that the CERN collider?
could have caused the China earthquake, after the first test, because at approx the same time, some big volcano started erupting in south america supposed exactly opposite it, imagining sticking a big nail through earth...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Really?

TPTB 'fear' campaign?

That mostly involves cave men in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

OK, my kudos to those who try to diminish the fact that real terrorists, even though we tend to think of them as backwards, CAN accomplish their goals, as we have seen, when given enough money.

BUT, that is not the discussion here.

Islamic terrorists cannot influence World weather patterns. In fact, whether you believe in a Human Influence, or not, the Global patterns will continue.

I believe that OUR footprint can have an impact, just as about 400,000,000 farting cows can, as they expel methane. (of course, we also now have about six Billion farting Humans....so....)

Point is, the 'terror' over some sort of 'global' event is not as important, right now, as it is to learn to heal the devisiveness that exists between all of the 'tribes' of Humanity.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

This has been happening for a while now. Check out this link. If I remember correctly, the tsunami back in '04 (?) was so powerful that it knocked the Earth off its axis by 3 degrees.

The link you provided shows Antarctica in a permanent darkness, I think we'd hear about this through other outlets than the site you posted...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I admit I didn't read the whole thread... But I think the pole shift will have to do with the magetic influence of the galactic plain of the ecliptic being crossed. The core (iron) will flop in the influence, causing the crust to "slip" (which would explain "myths" of a two or three day period with no sun on one side of the planet, and the "myths" of two or three days with no night on the other...).

This slippage would not be smooth, and quakes, tsunamis, volcanic activity and so on would abound.

That's my expectation. I suspect Sichen is mistranslating the Nibiru stuff, and if one reads The Terra Papers, there is no mention of the planet "Nibiru." I, personally believe the Papers are the closest to our true planetary history as we have.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

Originally posted by rickyrrr
what would the point be of covering up the cause but not the effect?
how does "we are all gonna die in a cataclysm caused by global warming" sound any better than "we are all gonna die in a cataclysm caused by another planet"

As others have pointed out, if they cover up the real reason, they can slug us for "carbon tax" because it is all our fault....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue
reply to post by grantbeed

Actually, I read it Pravvda (spelling?) just recently that the CERN collider?
could have caused the China earthquake, after the first test, because at approx the same time, some big volcano started erupting in south america supposed exactly opposite it, imagining sticking a big nail through earth...

Pravda's a tabloid ... sort of a Russian version of The Onion. It makes a great and hilarious read, and it does link to some real stuff just for grins. But the stories that it creates on its site are pure fiction and pure spoof.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Vast Antarctic ice shelf on verge of collapse

Not this sheet right?

How soon is a "verge"?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Yeah, and a piece of bread falling from my table is going to shift my house on its foundation. C'mon, is anyone really falling for this global warming crap? Because a huge chunk of ice falls in the ocean it is going to offset the planetary geomagnetism. A strong force that works in tandem with the rest of the cosmos to hold it in place? Al Gore was made fun of by the whole scientific community for this global warming and all that follows and then was later given the most prestigious medal known to man the 2007 Nobel Prize Award. Why? because IT SCARED PEOPLE. They now have a reason to go on with the plan 'United Nations Division for Sustainable Development' or (Agenda 21). We have just been bullied into the prospect of depopulation and agree to do it to ourselves with nothing more than propaganda and lies such as this.It's scare tactics based on data put out by elitist controlled scientists and disseminated to the masses (you) which is in all reality based on nothing more than your fear. They tell you what you don't want to hear, you get scared and beg them to give you a remedy, which is unfortunately at your expense and demise. We have dropped atomic bombs, thermonuclear bombs and have HAARP'ed the crap out of our ionosphere ....and a large chunk of ice is going to be the one to define our cataclysmic future. These same people told us of this weakling called Bin Laden who is supposed to be the scariest man on earth now...AND WE CREATED HIM.BTW have they found this Bin laden yet? You know, the one single guy in a cave that orchestrated all of 911 and outsmarted every FBI/CIA/NSA agent on America's Roster? Didn't think so. If you think I am fuill of crap, then fine, you are just the sheep they count on to continue propagating this diatribe and getting away with it at light speed. just ask yourself one question, out of every politician that promises generation after generation that THEY are going to make America greater.....look around and see now just how great we really are now! Are we to continue not learning from history .....just to repeat it over and over. This is all crap right here.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by DNAlien Fusion]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Amaterasu,

Again this is bogus 'science'.

The 'Galactic Plane' is a nonsense concept, sorry.

Let's try to understand real science, for the moment....we live in a Galaxy that, as far as we can determine (since we CANNOT see ourselves (from the outside) is roughly 100,000 light years in diameter, and about 30,000 light years thick at the center.

We THINK we live in a 'spiral galaxy'....similar to others that we've observed.

Again, since we cannot move outside of our Galaxy and look back, we have to infer based on what we see in other Galaxies.

To imagine that 'somehow' in our current lifetime that there is some sort of 'galactic plane' crossing that will somehow affect US, is, blantlantly ridiculous.

It's about as ridiculous as the OP of this thread....supposing that a relatively (compared to the mass of the Earth) sheet of ice could somehow affect the rotation of such a mass as the Earth....a body that has been largely unaffected for about 4 billion years....well, draw your own conclusions......

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Thought I had read this scenario before...

Clive Cusslers " Atlantis Found "
Atlantis Found

The plan ultimately comes to light: the villains intend to use nanotechnology to separate the Ross Ice Shelf from the Antarctic mainland. The loss of such a large mass will destabilize the ocean currents of the southern hemisphere, and unbalance the planet (Pole shift theory). In the resulting wave of earthquakes and tsunami, the population would be decimated, and civilization would collapse.

Also I wish people would stop this 2012 blah blah and attaching it to everything.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

Oh great. I could get hit by a car, shot by a neighbor, fall off of a cliff, die in a tsunami, get eaten by tiger, drown in a flash flood, get hit by lightning, or get caught in the middle of a nuclear war or a plague. Now I can die in some sort of axis shift. Joy. Just another thing to make me feel all nice and warm inside.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
In Florida -even with 6m rise- the miami area will be gone.not much of a loss.
The question remains - who will win the battle - sharks or alligators?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
On a serious side-I believe that 04 tsunami was coused by a Russian nuclear submarine goes kaboom( it was reported missing at that time and in that region). We have to worry about our technology going wrong more that coming Niburu.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A pole shift was featured in the book by Clive Cussler, Atlantis Found. It centered on the ice shelf breaking in Antartica.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn

When I first read this I thought what nonesense, but then the penny dropped! Could this really be a way to try and cover up the upcoming pole shift prediction for 2012?

Maybe they are trying to hide the fact that something else (ie: another planet) is responsible for the pole shift.

OR, could this BE the reason for the predicted pole shift?

Hmmm, the mind boggles....

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

any pole shift would cause a weakening in the magnetosphere which would result in untold amounts of electromagnetism entering earths atmosphere causing a great heating binge to take place.
any polar shift will then be a cause of extreme global warming.

tesla shields placed around the icecaps would of course prevent any warming radiation from melting them....but thats not gonna happen.....our "leaders" will just sit back and let the oceans rise,as designed by the future.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Yes, I know ice is less dense than water. Water swells when it freezes and therefore ice has more volume.
Try filling a bowl with ice cubes - heap them up, and when they have all melted the water will not likely overflow.You can pile them up pretty good to make up for any air spaces. Of course if you really made the effort you could stack it so that it would.

The rising sea scenario is part of TPTB fear campaign. Without massive crustal displacement - no big rise in sea level.

i used to believe the same thing untill i found out most of the worlds ice is located on land and not in water,thus when it melts it will enter the oceans and raise sea levels.

the ice is not floating in the water,antartica exists mostly on land,as does greenland.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

OH MY Gosh!!!!

More bad science!!!!!

Honestly, I feel like I'm trying to explain nuclear physics to First Graders!

Firstly, there is not ENOUGH water, even bound up in ice, to completely cover all of the land masses on this planet!! Get your heads out of the Bible, for once, and pay attention to science!

Secondly....as I've already pointed out....a minor ice mass from Antartica is NOT going to cause such a potential catastrophic 'imbalance' in the Earth's rotation. Our planet has WAY too much mass to be affected by such a minor pertubation.

IF all the ice melts, overnight, the estimation is it will raise MSL about 10 feet....about 3 meters.

Of course, localized effects will vary, especially due to tidal forces.

I really wish people would embrace science, rather than rejecting it, and remaining ingnorant......

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Oh weedy, just when I was starting to respect you for your well thought out scientific based replies, you had to go and ruin it all...personal insults and attacks are not really clever at all.

Originally posted by weedwhacker
It's about as ridiculous as the OP of this thread....

In fact:

Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

Beginning now, as of the time-stamp of this post, we will be returning to strictly enforcing the long-standing rules of civility and decorum that have been the hallmarks of AboveTopSecret.com. More specifically:

(2) Any posts/replies that contain a direct insult of another member will be subject to immediate posting bans, without warning.

Now I am not saying you should be banned, but please remember that other people have feelings to

Maybe just an apology is in order - but not to me, but to the ATS Board and members.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join