It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic shelf collapse could tilt Earth's axis: researchers

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Without meaning to denigrate anyone's opinion, the notion that a small mass of water could shift the axis of rotation of the earth is untenable. However huge the mass of water is to our perspective, it is insignificant in terms of the mass of the earth.

The notion that a pole shift will occur in 2012 is also untenable. There is nothing special about this year, except that the Mayan Calendar ends then. That isn't a prediction of disaster, it is a limitation in the calendar's ability to represent dates beyond a certain time. Even the "perpetual" calendars you find in almanacs and elsewhere eventually have a limit, and no one claims the earth will experience an upheaval then. It's a calendar, for heaven's sake, not a prediction.

How do I know? Because every single prediction concerning the end of the world has so far been proven wrong. True, the world will end some day, and it is possible it might occur in 2012, just as it might happen billions of years from now. However, there is no evidence of any sort that something will happen in 2012 to either end the world, or cause a serious upheaval.

I've unerring predicted that the world will NOT end, each time there has been a prophecy. So far, my record of correct predictions has been unbroken. So I predict the world won't end in 2012, nor will there be any cataclysm more severe than in, say, 2006, or 2009.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I distinctly remember the date May 5 at least ten if not more years ago as being the end date due to polar ice shelf build up, many a doco was made about this, it had me scared it was one of the first of many so called doomesday events i have endured but that day at school was a sports day i won silver in shot put and soon forgot about my worries. This is nothing new, scientists have warned about it for at least a decade probably more i wouldnt worry.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well, Rockpuck....a very cogent idea!

Yes, we know that there is a landmass...an entire continent, under all of that ice in Antarctica.

Tectonic plate movement, it seems, has put that continent at the South Pole....but, in Human time spans, it is an anomally.

There was a time, millions of years ago, when there was a "Super-continent"....called 'Pangia' (or, alternatively, 'Pangea')

Humans had not yet evolved, but we intelligent 'apes' can infer, through scientific discovery, how the tectonic plates move, and work it backwards.

Thing is....harking back to my earlier posts....the surface of the Earth is so thin, and has such little mass relative to the rest, the CORE of the planet, that minor changes of oceans or land distibrution, while seemingly HUGE to us, are largely unnoticed by the Earth, as she merrily keeps rotating and flying in her orbit around the Sun.

I mean....the Sun is about 5 BILLION years old. The planets, even the one we currently live on, formed at about the same time....congealed, perhaps is a word to use.

These time-frames are SO outside normal Human comprehension that it beggars belief, I understand that.

IF a Human life is eighty years, and IF you remember your parents and grandparents, or even great-grandparents.....you've gone back, what? 200+ years?

We're talking about 200+ years times millions....or more!!

Species on Earth have survived terrible catastrophes....life adapts to environmental changes.

BUT, when bad science intrudes....well, someone has to call 'FOUL'!!!

The Earth's axis will NOT be affected by a subtle shift of weight distibrution by moving ice floes. NO AMOUNT of ice can negate the angular momentum of the Earth, as it rotates!!!!

Again, to clarify....our Earth's axis is tilted, compared to its plane of orbit, by about 23 degrees. THIS is why we have 'seasons'. HOW did this happen? Well, current theory is at some distant past, an event occurred....a collision with a very large object, as the Solar System was still forming (well before Humanity even thought to evolve) caused our planet to change its axis....it had to be a BIG collision, might even be why we have such a large Moon....

Anyway, it (the collision) provided a very stable planet/moon configuration....something that eventually led to our evolution as a species.

Good enough answer to the 'ice-shelf' question???

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rken2

The Kali Yuga (the "Age of Kali" or "the age of contention"), is the most debased age of the four-yuga cycle. It began about 5000 years ago, and will last a total of 432,000 years. When Kali Yuga ends, the cycle begins anew with Satyayuga, an age when virtue finds full expression.

A Mahayuga lasts 4,320,000 years. A thousand Mahayugas (4,320,000,000) is called a Kalpa, and represents one full day of Brahma.

According to the Hindu calendar, we've got plenty of time left before the end of the cycle, hundreds of thousands of years.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Sheesh!! and I get a post removed because it is "off-topic'!!!!

Now, I've seen a lot of one-line posts make it through, so I feel safe.

But, just to clarify....in case my LAST posts were too long to read all the way through.....Angular Momentum!!!!

'nuf said....

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

It's happened in the past, so where was global warming then? It never occurs to anyone that this is part of a natural cycle every 11-20,000 years or so. The world goes on with little notice of man...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Nunny

Nunny....I don't say this very often...in fact, never have until now...

But...AMEN!!!!

Excellent!!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Guys. Please start to use your brain. Otherwise there is not difference between your head and coconut! If i get money from some body that ask me to suport his/her crazy idea - what I will do. I will write fiction, that will spread fear to help this idiot with money, no brain and globalistic mania
In 2012 nothing will happen. Shifting of the poles is topic that geophysics have no idea. Until now they can not tell, what is the content and state of the planet core. Astro physic will tell you that the possible time frame for pole shif is around 2564, when the solar system will have alignment with major gravity objets from the two arms of the Milky way ( the solar system stais between these arms). The 2012 event is simple human creted religious event, that have no connection with the nature ( I do not like to refer to Y2K hoaxs). Climatologist predict climate, but they do not know what they breath - what the air is composed from. Since creation of planet Earth, the volume of water did not change (it is constant). So why during all previous climate changes and 3 times life extingtion, the poles shifted only 7 times ( time frame of 5.5 billion years) - this fact was register by colaboration of paleo geology and paleontology. Because the close system climate , have little or no relation to stral gravitational balance. Remember tha Gore predict ocean rise with 22 meters. But he bought condo on ocean shore for 2 millions. Finaly the science proved that the ocean did not rise after ice melts. So where the water is? Is in the air - proven by the ruf and ruf weather we experinec. All globalist and global warming idiots should start planting more and more trees, which actualy hold the gretes part of fresh water, control the carbon gas and at the end the climate.
Treat from - Red Wind

reply to post by WatchNLearn

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
it is some time ago but, i remember hearing a news report which stated that `following a bomb test the earth may have tilted some 1 degree off its axis` could this have caused the sunami and contribute to the rediculous wheather conditions, the report was never repeated so perhaps it should not have been televised, the actual news station evades me, can anyone help me with this
??

mw

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Anon....I'll try to help....

Since 1945 there have been numerous 'bomb' tests --- (I assume you mean 'atom' bombs?).

The USA developed first, USSR shortly after, China followed suit...etc, etc. Some above ground (early USA in the deserts of New Mexico and Nevada), not to mention in the Pacific Ocean. Cold War era, tests moved underground....etc, etc....treaties, blah, blah, blah.

At LEAST three Nations, conducting untold numbers of tests...the Earth has not wavered any more than She has for the last Billion (or more) years.

Try this on for size --- a meteor hit in Arizona, USA, about 50,000 years ago, forming a crater about 3/4 of a mile across....the estimate the meteor was about the size of an average house, no more than 150 feet in diameter. The impact force would put most of our nuclear arsenal to shame. I think....more than 100 million megatons.

50,000 years ago, early Humans were still evolving in Africa....and yet, we're still here!!!

The real, longer-term danger of an Antarctic ice shelf break-away involves a possible disruption of Oceanic currents, and the resulting disruption (possibly) of regular weather patterns.....and THAT answers the other part of your question.

It probably won't be sudden, but trends can be observed, and 'hiccups' can happen.

EDIT...the tsunami, almost forgot....Plate Tectonics. An Earthquake, that occured underwater, causing the tsunami wave....assuming you mean the one in 2004??

[edit on 2/17/0909 by weedwhacker]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join