It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic shelf collapse could tilt Earth's axis: researchers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic_al

That was my first thought as well. Folks, compare the mass of the Antarctic ice shelf to that of the Earth. Its like comparing a paper weight to a Ford F-150. The Earth, with all of that mass and momentum will shrug that off like its nothing. Maybe it has a very slight affect, but in the real world, its not going to make any significant difference.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
If I remember correctly, the tsunami back in '04 (?) was so powerful that it knocked the Earth off its axis by 3 degrees.

Three degrees?! If the Earth was positioned by a half degree polar axial change, we would all be underwater or dead.

What the 2004 tsunami REALLY did was cause a disruption (read: an actual pause) in the naturally occurring chandler wobble for a period of time.

To put this into perspective for you, take a glass half full of water and lean it to one side, then quickly lean it by a very smal amount (tantamount to 3 degrees) in the other direction. The water moves dramatically, just like all of our oceans would.

AB1

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
First of all there is a difference between a "pole shift" and a change in the Earth's axis.

If we are talking about the polar ice that is on land this theory has merit, if they are talking about the ice that is over ocean water to begin with and that melts it will have little effect on global ocean levels.

Most of the arctic ice is already submerged in the ocean (like ice in a glass of water) if it melts it will not change the level of water in the glass!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Arctic ice and a little education for the some posters on this thread.

The ice there has been compressed for millions of years.

And it is not just the ice that is compressed, but the land mass underneath which would rise quickly if the ice melted or somehow moved away.

Yes the land is being held or compressed under by the weight of the ice. I don't believe they have this info on the NASA link I posted, but you can Google it.

How thick?

The deepest known ice rests 2,555 meters below sea level, where the ice is over 4 kilometers thick.

Presently, the Antarctic ice sheet contains 90% of the ice on Earth and would raise sea levels worldwide by over 200 feet were it to melt.

lima.nasa.gov...

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Magnetic pole shifts are normal and frequent.

Altered rotational axis and processional wobbles are generally associated with 'ice ages' (large temp fluctuations), and are accompanied by increased vulcanism.

This is all about longer term solar cycles/activity, and is perfectly natural, but not too good for modern humans.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
First of all there is a difference between a "pole shift" and a change in the Earth's axis.

That's not entirely accurate.

There are (for all intents and purposes) 3 types of "pole shifts".

Axial pole shifts, Equatorial pole shifts, and Geomagnetic pole shifts. The latter being the most innocuous of the three.

A change in the Earth's axis would be a "pole shift", an Axial pole shift.

AB1

[edit on 6-2-2009 by alphabetaone]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
... The axis could shift by 500m..

If I am right, the earth diameter is of 40000km, so a shift of 500m is equal to 0,0045 degrees. Not a big thing, but measurable.

And as someone writes here... tsunami.. 3degrees.!!!!....that makes 333km! Nonsense. Sure no one would have noticed!

That is the reason why I don't believe this 2012 end of the worlds. All bla bla bla IMHO.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

Three degrees?! If the Earth was positioned by a half degree polar axial change, we would all be underwater or dead.

This really concerns me one because I know that if the earth did tilt we would be under water and that would be all of the land mass for a period of time, but what really bothers me is that I have had a recurring dream since I was a child.

It is the only recurring dream I have, but it always starts as I look out into the horizon and get a strange ominous feeling in my gut, then I see a small thin line that grows larger and larger while approaching me.

The massive wave has no ending to the right or left of me and as it approaches the size of it darkens the sky and turns light to dark. The height is miles high, the sounds, and the feeling of the wind and earth as it approaches is impending doom.

I always wake before it hits.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here is a link to the original article from the University of Toronto.

Link

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
Here is a link to the original article from the University of Toronto.

Link

Excellent link and information, exactly what I was trying to convey about the land mass.

I guess Florida as a whole would be gone too, well maybe except for a couple of bumps sticking out of the water, since they are mostly below and at sea level.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A tiny chuck of ice (comparatively) will have no effect on the water level or earth's axis. That's ludicrous. Curious one mentioned a build up to a polar shift and 2012 and theories about the end of the Mayan calendar. Well the calendar is relating to star formations and some think the alignment is simply going to change, blocked, or shifted, nothing more.

But what about this polar shift? Consider a somewhat proposed resent discovery, that our solar system is not native of the large Milky Way galaxy, but a near perpendicular captured smaller galaxy named the Sagittarius Dwarf. This is not the only dwarf galaxy captured by the Milky Way. So maybe this polar shift is the result of crossing the equatorial plane of the Milky Way and our perspective changes, thus ending the Mayan Alignment.

The earth warms and cools, man has no effect or control over our sun, which has been void of sun spots for the longest observed length of time ever. But this winter has been cold so far. So whatever.

Look at this link to explain why scientists believe we are alien to the Milky Way, and have you ever wondered why the plane of the Milky Way is so tilted in the night's sky?

viewzone.com...

or just Google (dogpile) 'we are not native of the milky way'

I am a member here but can't find my password, would appreciate the voice.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
two other ICe shelves (larson a and b) have collapsed and melted in past ten years with plenty more about to pop. You can see pools of water forming on the sheets as moulons form and "eat" their way through the ice.

The real problems start when these Ice shelves collapse and the flows behind them are uncorked releasing all the land ice to flow straight into the ocean which is happening.

For any one who still thinks anthropogenic global warming is a con then look no further.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

This is also the plot of a Cussler novel, "Atlantis Found," except the collapse is accelerated by Argentine Nazis.

As I understand it, the poles are going to shift anyway, as part of a continuing cycle; as do the magnetic poles, which are shifting now.

jw

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This story was on one of our National Newspapers this morning and the first thing I thought when I saw it was...

What a load of absolute bulls**t

The Global warming guys are getting desperate and even though their "Models" were completely wrong, they are still trying to push their rubbish on us before everyone gets sick of listening to it and stops giving them money.

They are like an open book.

Why don't they just crawl back into the same hole the "Ice Age" sensationalists climbed into at the end of the seventies.

TBH, I don't buy any of these "Pole Shift" ideas either.. simply because they are based on almost nothing. Aztec calenders? Words from a song? NASA - since when have NASA ever been frank with the public? Planets that have never been found but happen to be just about to hit us at the same time as the poles change AND the universe explodes. What are the chances?

2012 is quickly becoming a viral marketing campaign for a new movie franchise.

[edit on 6/2/09 by Dermo]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Nice story but I'm not convinced. Just to add my 2p worth re all the 2012 stuff, The Mayan Calender I believe ends at this point, 2012, could it not just be that we are moving from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius with regards the precession of the equinoxes?

Chuffer

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

Originally posted by whitewave
If I remember correctly, the tsunami back in '04 (?) was so powerful that it knocked the Earth off its axis by 3 degrees.

Well, obviously I DIDN'T remember correctly. Thank you for correcting the information.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Global warming has absolutely nothing to do with this, in fact it's just the opposite.

There was a special on PBS from what I remember and they showed the effects of water that actually drops below freezing point within glaciers. What happens is a rapid melting occurs.

I wish I could find a clip or link but nothin yet.

Originally posted by Dermo
This story was on one of our National Newspapers this morning and the first thing I thought when I saw it was...

What a load of absolute bulls**t

The Global warming guys are getting desperate and even though their "Models" were completely wrong, they are still trying to push their rubbish on us before everyone gets sick of listening to it and stops giving them money.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kukulcangod
The actual upcoming event 2012 predicted by many ancient cultures, is real.
I have been studying ancient religion and it is all there, same as today, except for one major difference, we are closer to 2012 then they were.

"axis of the planet could change" this was mentioned by many to "Dogons" "Sumerians" "Egyptians" Mayans" and so on...
But all there talk about poleshift is related to the coming of the HUGE giant or planetx or the most popular Nibiru or NASA`s own name for it 2003UB313.
And if you have some numerological sense you can se the resemblance to 2012nibiru.

www.youtube.com...

According to many of the ancient society's the coming of a HUGE planet is just a natural cycle, which happens exactly just to change the poles. This has been studied by Nasa with other planet involved.

But who knows at the end...we will see hopefully if the Gods want...

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Kukulcangod]

Well, not a single ancient culture mentioned a planet X or Nibiru that actually enters our inner solar system. I don't know where that thought is from (mabye Sitchin).
But even the Sumerian clay tablets give NO attention to a planet X whatsoever.

BUT, I believe absolutely in the scenario that happens when the earth aligns with other planetary bodies as well as the center of the Milky Way.

It is already happening. The magnetic field around the world starts to disappear. Cosmic waves will bombard the earth (it's doing it already at the poles) which will cause great upheaval. Also, the magnetic field is a protective layer against comets, meteorites, etc...once this layer is gone. Well, not too hard to figure out what can happen.

But a Planet X that is responsible for all that...NO!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I find this site to be most helpful with the inevitable pole shift as it is not a case of if it will happen but when.

Snowfalls will increase as more moisture becomes trapped in the Earth's inner atmosphere and winds come howling down out of the arctic. Summer will shorten for those in the Northern Hemisphere, and as the time nears for the shift, there will be noticeable changes in atmospheric pressure. Several years before the actual shift, scientists will be taking soundings and speaking of an increased wobbling of the Earth. Volcanoes will erupt in several areas of the North American continent, as well as the Caribbean and Mediterranean areas, and earthquakes will register more frequently on the Richter scale.

After the shift:

Canada and Russia will become warmer, as will parts of the United States, but other parts will become colder, as the Earth skews about on the axis....the South Pole will be in the southern part of South America, and the North Pole in the Pacific Ocean at some point that we are unable now to pinpoint.....Indiana will be one of the safer areas, as will Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Illinois except where the latter approaches the Mississippi, as that corridor leading down from the Great Lakes will become a river bed.

Here is a possible axis tilt that could fit the above scenario:

www.cycle-of-time.net...

[edit on 2/6/2009 by CaptGizmo]

[edit on 2/6/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
While visiting the external links given in the higher posts, i kept wondering if the region i'm living in would remain out of the dangerzone.
Guess we all wonder about that, well you can check here what happens if the waterlevel rises for about 1 to 6 meters.

Just click on the region you live and the red zones shows what ground the water will reclaim.

www.cresis.ku.edu...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join