It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Announces A Ceasefire On Gaza

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
How can Israel call a ceasefire without withdrawing their troops?

They,ve said they will continue to defend themselves against attacks. Hamas will continue fighting them if they stay in Gaza. And I'm sure they know this.

israel called this ceasefire because they want to look like they are not conducting a genocide. the entire point of it is not to end it because they have the greatest country in the world on their side.. is usa only the greatest because they only pick on the weak? i dont care if this gov't puts me in a consecration camp for speaking bad on them or israel, the almighty usa and israel are weak check out china or russia for a rude awakening.. when you bomb a un school thats saying fu*k the world as a whole get ready for the draft here in the us, its coming pretty soon.. mexicans come here to seek a better life but id rather live there and not go to war

[edit on 17-1-2009 by wise words spoken]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This ceasefire will last only until Hamas shoots more rockets into Israel. It was my understanding that they were still firing missles--when did they stop?

I don't believe Hamas will honor a cease-fire at this time, if ever, even if it amounts to suicide for them.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Its a total PR move by Israel. They are going stop firing unilaterally (Hamas has already fired 8 rockets since the cease-fire went into effect 30 minutes ago with no Israeli response). Israel will be quite for a period of time even while Hamas is still firing rockets so they can say to the world: "Look we have stopped firing on our own but Hamas continues to launch rockets at us". Israel will announce an ultimatum to Hamas to stop launching rockets or Israel will start up the offensive again. Hamas will continue and this will all start back up again.

Cease-fires only work if both sides agree by them. Watch though. Israel is going to be quiet and take some rocket fire and not respond for a bit first though just to show everyone "their restraint".

[edit on 17-1-2009 by princeofpeace]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

9 MINUTES OF TRUCE / CONFIRMED

After 9 minutes exploded WP, Willie Pete, after truce was announced to begin at 02.09.

Confirmed in Live camera from multiple sources.

EDIT:

Israeli firing phosphorous after ceasefire
www.presstv.ir...

[edit on 17-1-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hamas is a direct product of Israel. They were established to get rid of the PLO. Now they have been used to provoke what we see happening now. Next we will here that more rockets were fired and the cease fire will cease. Israel made Hamas! Odds are good that Iran saw it for what it was and has no intentions of direct military intervention. So as it stands if the Israelis get too aggressive they will lose support.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Alpha_Magnum]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Iran would never wage conventional warfare against israel,they may try to acquire nukes so they dont have to,but they have bigger problems in their own country,low unemployment rates in the younger generation etc without going to war.And why do many mostly americans keep using the word *loose* instead of *lose* i cant count how many times ive seen it on here...Off topic sorry.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I agree with most here that this is just a PR stunt.
The boarders will still be closed and aid will still not get to where it is meant to go, Israeli troops can kick the heads of who they want just to get a response and say I was fired upon first.
still no media on the ground to watch the truce, so who knows what is happening.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
I agree with most here that this is just a PR stunt.
The boarders will still be closed and aid will still not get to where it is meant to go, Israeli troops can kick the heads of who they want just to get a response and say I was fired upon first.
still no media on the ground to watch the truce, so who knows what is happening.

Actually there is a bbc journalist that got into gaza,i think hes living with a family there,he said the destruction is beyond belief,it isnt just *hamas* buildings,practically everything is destroyed or has major damage.I dont know if you can get bbc news 24 where you live but they usually get a hold of him everyday.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Anyone ever consider the rockets flying into Israel could be fired off by undercover Mossad infiltrated in Hamas? Or that Hamas puppeteers are after the same objectives as the IDF puppeteers?
Why do 400+ children have to die for a bunch of terrorists with toy rockets?
One more rocket into Israel and they're gonna be even fiercer?
Is that even possible?
DIME bombs that rip off limbs, white phospheros that burns to the bones, or from the inside out if inhaled...
"... but Hamas fires toy rockets into our deserts hardly ever killing anyone!!!!"
Yeah right...

There's something very wrong with the official picture, and those controlling the israeli military have entirely different reasons than what we're hearing if you ask me.
They obviously have zero respect for innocent lives.

Of course another rocket will fly; I doubt the IDF has even pulled the safety back on their guns....

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
As I predicted two days ago that Israel would declare a ceasefire before Obama is inaugurated. They are still unsure of how he will react to this genocide. I am shocked that Condoleeza Rice met with Livni and even signed a document with Israel after the gross human rights violations in the Gaza over the past few weeks. By the way do I win a prize - Guess not -it was a pretty obvious tactic.

All that being said, Israel have destroyed as much as they feel they could get away with ,and will now play both meek as a lamb and the poor victim who was forced to fight back for the next couple of months, while they wait to see how long it takes for Rahm Emanuel to convince Obama to see it Israel's way.

Shame on Israel and shame on all the countries who sat back and did nothing while women and children were massacred.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Though there is no way to truly assess Israeli motives at this point, this is truly an encouraging sign.

I think one thing that the powers that be are slow to fully accept is that ever since the days of the United States war in Vietnam when actual filmed combat footage could be broadcast the same day the fighting took place effectively prompted an ever growing number of people to oppose violence as a means to solve political disputes or create political hegemony.

Up until the advent of Internet blogs and public forums it still was possible for a nation to downplay the lack of popular support for a war of aggression through propaganda and selective reporting and editorializing of war related events.

Today even with governments like ours here in the United States that are supposedly representative of the people’s will I think it came as a startling surprise to both Israel and the United States just how ineffective propaganda has become in swaying the masses.

As Israeli, and American Intelligence and Psychological Operations Personnel take to the Internet to gauge public interest and perception and to try spinning the propaganda that would be favorable to garner public support, I truly believe they have been truly surprised to see just how little support there is for Israel amongst many U.S. citizens but that there is also a predominant number of Americans who are actually flat out opposed to the Israeli criminal assault against the desperate, starved and disenfranchised citizens of the Gaza Strip.

Though we will likely never know a true percentage number of just how large the segment of the U.S. population is that are in opposition to Israel and big money, big weapons aide to Israel, clearly it is huge when surveying the blogs and public forums on the Internet since Operation Cast Lead began.

Israel has clearly failed to achieve any of its stated objectives in the operation. Hamas is still entrenched as the government body for Gaza. Hamas is still able to shoot rockets into Israel practically at their leisure. The command and support structure of Hamas appears to likewise also be functioning at as great a level as it did before the Israeli criminal invasion.

With words like collective punishment, genocide, racism, rouge nation and other highly negative descriptions and depictions of Operation Cast Lead and it’s political supporters coming from such a large group of non-Arab, non-Muslim people not just here in the United States but throughout the free world it is fairly evident the previous generic responses of anti-Semitism, racism, and religious zealotry have lost those magical defensive qualities and properties they once had before the Internet when any opposition to Israeli war crimes could simply be categorized that way and dismissed by a non-interactive media.

I do believe its people like us right here on ATS speaking up and out and against what so many of us feel is so totally morally wrong that has caused Israel to call for and offer this ceasefire. I think they know they miscalculated and their actions are leading to political suicide for their supporters in the American Government which because of the weapons technology edge we provide Israel and the massive charity we give to Israel yearly in grants and stipends is tantamount to real suicide for the nation of Israel.

This is the second time now in as many years Israel has lost the war for hearts and minds in its disproportionate use of indiscreet lethal force.

It just goes to show in my humble opinion that in the end no sword is ever mightier than the pen.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well, another thread with one topic, and the OP going all over the place with his anti-Israel rhetoric.

This move is a win/win for Israel.

If Hamas discontinues the attacks, good.

If Hamas launches more rockets, good.

As far as Israel not being able so do anything with troops in Gaza, one clearly doesn't know the mobility of the Israeli forces. Those boys are fast.

They can shift from multiple fronts in hours, and go right into battle. They've done it quite successfully in the past, and I see no degradation of their capability.

Let's just see what happens.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Hamas, because their ranks are filled with undisciplined idiots, screw this up in no time.

And make no mistake.

They are idiots.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
isreal have accomplished what they wanted to achieve, the creation of a new generation of terrorists by sparking more hatred for the west.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Now if the loose canons(sp) in hamas get the hint, and stop their stupidity, this might end well.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Iran would never wage conventional warfare against israel,they may try to acquire nukes so they dont have to,but they have bigger problems in their own country,low unemployment rates in the younger generation etc without going to war.And why do many mostly americans keep using the word *loose* instead of *lose* i cant count how many times ive seen it on here...Off topic sorry.

In order for the USA to ensure that the USD remains KING in oil transactions all OPEC nations that choose to break from the USD get a beat down. Saddam did it and we see what happened to him. The 'Axis of evil' list contains the names of the nations that decided that other currencies looked more rosy than the USD.

Slightly off topic but why do what appears to be morons point out when Americans use too many "O's" when they fail to capitalize proper nouns and don't add punctuation between conjunctions like "dont" and "ive"? I can't count how many times I have seen it on here...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said on Saturday that Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip had achieved all its objectives.

1) The destruction of Hamas within Gaza........Objective failed.

2) To stop rocket attacks from within Gaza.....Objective failed.

3) To break the Palestinian peoples will..........Objective failed.

4) To kill as many Innocent children and Women as possible....
Objective achieved

5) To test their fancy new weapons................. Objective achieved

6) To make themselves the most hated country in the world.....

Objective achieved

Congratulations Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on meeting all your objectives.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The many thousand year war is not over yet? really... I have been neutral on the subject for a while but since there is so much anti-Jewish sentiment on these forums I've decided to show my side, not saying war crimes are great, I'm actually anti-war and would consider my personal views on war are close to John Lennon's, but at the same time defence is the only prevention of extinction for the Jews, anyone who has followed the history of the Jews will know that.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Perhaps they just needed to establish a military tradition with troops that haven't seen any action.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good evening all!

Got all excited when I heard the news that the Israelis blinked first and announced a CEASE FIRE!

Yahoo. At last right?

Nah.

Hey... It was a nice thought.

Looks like all of our local mindreaders and armchair prognositicators see it as a ploy to buy PR.

No really! Can the IDF do ANYTHING to accomplish ANYTHING in the eyes of our local pro-carnage lobby?

Nah.

They make about us much sense as that three stooges terrorist organization... You know... the mightly holy warriors of Hamas.

You pro-carnage geeks REALLY need to take the blinders off and do a BETTER job explaining what is REALLY going on.

The guys calling the shots are REALLY fat... You have a tendency to get that way sucking on the tit of PETRO DOLLARS that is Iran/Persia.

Just look at their fearless leader in Damascus. Has that guy missed any meals... I don't think so! Just keep those gold coins coming.

Just look at their leadership in Gaza. Really fat guys, so well groomed. Are they mixing it up in the street... fighting the 'occupier'?

I don't think so.

They are sending the idiots of their CARGO CULT to get slaughtered.

Kaching! Kaching! Kaching!

Huge parts of Gaza are PAST TENSE.

Any reason to grab at this opportunity?

Nah.

It's like the ME Darwinian Awars show...

Unfortunately, these predators have taken, are taking and will continue to take every man, woman and child they can with them.

It's NOT like they care about ANY of these innocents.

You pro-carnage guys... Just as bad as the terrorists... Ah, 'freedom fighters'.

Cuz you ARE the target audience. Just as blind with your almost absolute hatred of the little tiny sliver of land called Israel.

At least the bozos from Hamas have the integrity to use weapons.

It would be nice if our denizens of members had the nerve to say something along the lines of...

We ARE intelligent human beings. EVERYONE stop the carnage.

Are ANY of YOU capable of ascending to that level?

I didn't think so.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by golemina]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Israel doesn't want to take away attention from president Obama's coronation.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join