It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Announces A Ceasefire On Gaza

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Israel announces a ceasefire on Gaza

www.timesonline.co.uk

Israel's security cabinet has voted to cease fire in the Gaza Strip, ending a three-week offensive against Hamas Islamist guerrillas.

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said on Saturday that Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip had achieved all its objectives.

He told a news conference after the security cabinet voted to cease fire that some goals had been exceeded, Hamas had been hit hard and its ability to fire rockets into Israel had been severely limited.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-1-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In my eyes this is defeat... "Operation Cast Defeat"

Trauma of Gaza 911 is done.

They cant wipe out crimes they have done. This truce will not last... This op has set human kind to great danger!

Hamas is still master of Gaza - IDF didnt succeed. This op is a shame... Hamas wont stop here, how can they trust to their future before Israel is disarmed?

So what next, Lebanon?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-1-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Well, it's not exactly over yet. If you take a look at the recent information on their so called cease fire, you'll see that it starts at 2am on a Sunday in that part of the world. It's not immediate.

Clearly, this is more of a setup for a pre-emptive attack on Iran rather than an actual cease fire, since they like to do their strikes on nuclear reactors on Sundays or holidays.

Hence, that "manufactured incident that should be coming along for Obama on the 21st or 22nd of January". You're not ready.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
From CNN

Israel declares unilateral cease-fire in Gaza

"Hamas has been dealt a very serious blow," Olmert said. "We can say that the conditions have been brought about that enable us to say that the aims that we laid down for the operation have been completely achieved."

Yet Israel is prepared to respond if Hamas militants continue fighting in the Palestinian territory, Olmert said.

"If foes decide to continue to fight against us, then we will be ready and we shall consider ourselves justified in replying," he said. "I do not suggest that Hamas or other terrorist organizations try us."

Immediate Palestinian response to Olmert's announcement was pessimistic.

Saeb Erakat, the chief Palestinian negotiator involved in diplomatic talks on the conflict, noted that Olmert did not say Israeli troops would be leaving Gaza.

"I'm afraid this means the cease-fire will not stand; it will break," Erakat told CNN International. "Anybody can fire a shot now. ... It's a very fragile moment."

www.cnn.com...

This ceasefire sounds like a ploy. Israel hasn't been looking very good in the worlds eyes. Any shot fired during this ceasefire will be blamed on Hamas. Propaganda wars!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious

Well, it's not exactly over yet. If you take a look at the recent information on their so called cease fire, you'll see that it starts at 2am on a Sunday in that part of the world. It's not immediate.

Clearly, this is more of a setup for a pre-emptive attack on Iran rather than an actual cease fire, since they like to do their strikes on nuclear reactors on Sundays or holidays.

Hence, that "manufactured incident that should be coming along for Obama on the 21st or 22nd of January". You're not ready.

I totally agree with you this is not over, they said they will start the ceasefire at 2am israel time, and also if hamas carrys on firing rockets after 2am, Israel will respond twice as hard as previous.. These are the words of
olmert..

This war hasnt even started yet, god bless the innocent in gaza.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yeah right. They are about to hit Iran while they have a lot of their personnel and artillery in the Gaza strip? That doesnt even makes sense. There will be no incident

I cant wait for the 21st and 22nd to come and go quietly so all these paranoid nutsa on here who have just been convinced that something will happen will realize just how crazy they sound.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I agree,israel is salivating waiting for a rocket,i dont know if hamas will..although i wouldnt put it past them,hamas isnt the only one that can make home made rockets though.Israel have already said troops are still on the ground,they could fake an attack and continue slaughtering while saying "well we did call a ceasefire".. after massacring 1000 people including 400 children
i think rational thinking goes out the window then,only takes one crazed man who has witnessed his whole family blown to pieces from *strategic* strikes to launch one and the onslaught begins again.All i can say is i wish the west had some morals and completely cut off israel with sanctions,charged for warcrimes and in the hague for decades of breaking international law,of course we are no better at the end of the day

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Yeah right. They are about to hit Iran while they have a lot of their personnel and artillery in the Gaza strip? That doesnt even makes sense. There will be no incident

I cant wait for the 21st and 22nd to come and go quietly so all these paranoid nutsa on here who have just been convinced that something will happen will realize just how crazy they sound.

You think all israels artillery and forces are in gaza?

Your the one that is crazy, i dont think there gonna try and break the back of irans nuclear program with Artillery,
They would use war planes, equiped with tipped bunker busters.. Oh and by the way, israel could call up over a million troops if they wanted, every man in israel has to do two years in the army.. There are about 8million in israel, do the math.. dopey

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
How can Israel call a ceasefire without withdrawing their troops?

They,ve said they will continue to defend themselves against attacks. Hamas will continue fighting them if they stay in Gaza. And I'm sure they know this.

Sounds like a PR stunt to me.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Of course i dont think that Israel has ALL of their hardware in the Gaza strip LOL. But i do know that if they hit Iran they will need that hardware alog the border with Syria and Lebanon NOT Gaza.

Either way i guarantee there will be no strike on Iran in the next week. I'll put money on it.

Originally posted by Truther

Originally posted by princeofpeace

You think all israels artillery and forces are in gaza?

Your the one that is crazy, i dont think there gonna try and break the back of irans nuclear program with Artillery,
They would use war planes, equiped with tipped bunker busters.. Oh and by the way, israel could call up over a million troops if they wanted, every man in israel has to do two years in the army.. There are about 8million in israel, do the math.. dopey

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I hope that this is a dance that will work through....

Israel 'regrets the pain of every Palestinian child hurt.' And declares a unilateral caesefire.

Hamas will 'resist' until all Israeli troops have left Gaza.

Resist means push out, make sure you don't hurt us.

Which equals, I hope, that the only Hamas rockets that are fired at Israelis are Israeli troops that are in Gaza. ie they do not fire at Israel.

Sorry boys and girls, but war is war, but at last I see a hope that both sides are trying to negotiate their ways out of this unwinable 'war' 'intefada' in my words, sheer agonising trauma.

Good luck good people on both sides, you'll need it.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I wondered whether this military action would be wound down just before the new American president is sworn in!
Did Mr.Bush say,"Sure.Go nuts.But just make sure you have the job done before the new guy gets in"!
Interesting that The States were the only member of the UN to not condemn the attacks!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
I wondered whether this military action would be wound down just before the new American president is sworn in!
Did Mr.Bush say,"Sure.Go nuts.But just make sure you have the job done before the new guy gets in"!
Interesting that The States were the only member of the UN to not condemn the attacks!

I very much doubt it,if your not friends with israel you are not the American president..unless it was more of a political move so obama wouldnt look bad,but no doubts about it Obama will be sending billions to israel every year in military tech among other things.1/5th of all aid america sends out a year goes to israel which is a developed nation..America is in israels back pocket.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
How can Israel call a ceasefire without withdrawing their troops?

Because it's a "cease fire". Just means they stop shooting at each other. Doesn't say anything about pulling back to neutral corners.

And why is everyone under the impression that Israel will break the ceasefire? No one thinks that HAMAS might decide to fire off some rockets?

[edit on 17-1-2009 by jerico65]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I was questioning the timing of the ceasefire as i thought it may have been done to coincide with Mr.Obama taking power,and thus not giving him such a huge international incident to deal with in his first days in office.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
So much doubt =D.

I doubt Israel actually did ANY damage to Hamas itself.

It's pretty much like the Batman and Joker, necessary counterparts.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Now its 10 minutes to the beginning of unilateral truce made by Israel...

Very possibly we see short truce, like I said in my first post, this truce is doomed to fail... Hamas sees no difference in their situation, so why they would stand back now? Truce is not negotiated.

This "truce" is more Israeli PR trick to western media, and they are seeking more sympathy to them self... To make aggressor look more like victim in eyes of ignorance western population - who just reads the headlines.

Military Goals

Militarily IDF has faced defeat at this moment. As long as Israeli tanks are not patrolling downtown of Gaza City, it has not succeed in their goals. What happened, its too early to make analysis, but clearly they underestimate Hamas true will to keep their positions, and maybe Hamas defense was more prepared than earlier thought - full of deadly surprises.

IDF was not ready to put all their efforts to table. With limited forces defeat is done today, and there has to be a reason for that... Why are IDF saving their bullets? I join my analysis with this article...

Israel's Next War: Today the Gaza Strip, Tomorrow Lebanon?
www.globalresearch.ca...

Next phase is about the come soon... Israel didnt order their reserve troops back home, and there is great indicator that something is planned to start with in short period of time.

Government Goals

Ive made my analysis before from true goals of this op. Gaza 911 is done, and that was their goal: Gaza is high scale provocation and Israel is eager to wage real war against real enemies. They need USA to help them more closely, and that was done yesterday with Livni/Rice agreement.

War on Gaza - Staged 911 to Muslim World?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe that Gaza goals in political and diplomatic level has achieved... Its time to move forward to real wars against Syria, Lebanon, Iran and finally with Jordania too.

WW3 is here - and truce will not fade away that huge trauma, what is caused all around Muslim world with Gaza 911 sneak attack.

I will make more analysis tomorrow, after sleeping for a while.

I almost open first threat from 27.12.2008, I was second on line with my thread (1 minute late) few minutes after first breaking news from Gaza. Now I have open this "truce - thread", and for my self too this has been rough 3 weeks keeping daily close eye in every moment of this operation... I really need some truce now too!

I hope truce will keep at least few days... I am sure not only one.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I wonder if word of a ceasefire has reached all Hamas members? Israel soldiers are networked via their radios and other gadgets so they've been able to get the word out to their troops. Seems to me there are probably many people still hunkering down somewhere that aren't even aware that there's a ceasefire, members of Hamas and citizens. Obviously Hamas doesn't have the same technology that Israel does. Hopefully the word was able to get out though but I find that doubtful. As long as Israeli forces are still on the ground and the drones, helicopters and jets are still flying overhead it might be hard to tell there's a ceasefire going on for people that haven't received word.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

Another thought. Do they announce a ceasefire over loudspeakers or anything?
The same speakers they use for prayer?

(edit spelling)

[edit on 17-1-2009 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Thank all that is holy. I hope this ceasefire is lasting. At least long enough to work out this problems rather than punishing innocents with them. That goes for both sides.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join