It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Today... Well They Scare Me

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by llpoolej

Offering to help people in the situations you posted is just wonderful. However, how many times have you been burned?

I had a dear friend of mine who wanted to see a friend in another state so bad, but couldn't afford the plane ticket. I bought it for her and she promised to pay me back within a month. Keep in mind she was one of my best friends... Now its over two years later and she has one excuse after another why she can't pay me the 350 she owes. Yet her hair is done every month, her nails filled and polished, and she eats out with her friends at least 4 days out of the week.

Normally, I have no problem helping people out. But this money I had set aside for something. Now I have yet to replenish it and times are hard. I still smile and hold the door for people out of common curtesy, I don't hold grudges, and I think positive as much as I can, even when I don't feel the same from others. But I can guarantee that I will never loan money ever again.

Sometimes when you are too nice to people, they take advantage of you. I'm not going to be a door mat anymore. It won't change my general positive attitude, but it will keep me from going too far out on the limb for someone. Of course I only gave you the one example, but the list is much longer of the people that have used my generosity without so much as a thank you. I have to draw the line at some point.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

I worked in grocery stores for eight years and I saw that all the time.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Walmarts in Florida have had weird shortages since late summer for canned peanuts, rice, pet food, some frozen foods and some fruits to start with, a lot of stuff I don't buy so I don't look for it. I've also noticed their alcohol aisle is shrinking.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Please don't feel sorry for me, I do just fine in this rat race we call life. I have friends, but they're few and far between, and that's the way I like it.

Some people think life is just one big Myspace page, and that everyone on their buddy list is a true friend. I'm sorry to say, "it just isn't so". There are many of the fairweather variety of friends about, and an abundance of moochers and freeloaders, but real friends are a lot harder to come by. Choose wisely.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej
I have traveled all over and know people from all walks of life and all geographic areas. What I have found is people react to what you project.

Yes, this is very true. The reality in which you exist acts as a mirror to yourself, you get back what you put in. All actions produce equal and opposite reactions.

Or to put it in a more complex manner, in connected thermodynamic systems which are in equilibrium neither for pressure nor temperature, heat flow between is caused by forces proportional with unit of pressure difference, and equal to the proportional density flow caused per unit of temperature difference.

Originally posted by LLoyd45
If I were to hazard a guess about your location, I'd say you must live in Mayberry along with Andy and all his friends.

I've revealed my location previously in this thread...

Remember, God helps those who help themselves. He gives no guarantees that your life in this World will be a pleasant or carefree one.

Surely, If he did we would not have children dying in Gaza right now, In fact, If God were ultimately benevolent and compassionate, I don't think he would allow all of the atrocities that have occurred through the ages. This is why I think the nature of God is infinitely more complex and interwoven than many people think, for instance, if this Satan character were to exist, he would be a manifestation of god and connected to him, just as we all are, and just as we are all interconnected with each other. I will continue seeking. See? King.

Originally posted by Cauch1
Despite being rather young

I've just turned 25.

Originally posted by Cauch1
Note: I seem to keep contradicting or bothering you. Apologies if it is getting on your nerves.

No apology necessary friend, I am at peace.

i am a barely apparent errant arrow
i know not my destination; each participle arrives according to its own principle
if i were to become one of the hungry
let me count fingers on the hands of mans disbanded apathy
trample me
stampede freedom
my quest is at the behest of the keeper of kings
the secret seeker of means
the broken reaper who sings like a phoenix

and when the first forgotten descendant
returns resplendent returns independence
all men will know truth and light
proof of lifes greatest creator
maker
shaper

Peace be among you friends.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExquisitExamplE

I have traveled all over and know people from all walks of life and all geographic areas. What I have found is people react to what you project.

Yes, this is very true. The reality in which you exist acts as a mirror to yourself, you get back what you put in. All actions produce equal and opposite reactions.

Or to put it in a more complex manner, in connected thermodynamic systems which are in equilibrium neither for pressure nor temperature, heat flow between is caused by forces proportional with unit of pressure difference, and equal to the proportional density flow caused per unit of temperature difference.
I wonder where these people went wrong if you theory on life and social interactions are correct? They appeared to be rather decent, God-fearing, and likable individuals by all accounts???

Wichita Horror

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Essentially what you are asking is: "Why do bad things happen to good people?" Conversely, why are people who use immoral/unethical business practices rewarded, while often times men who play the rules get the short end of the stick?

These are not easy questions to answer. I think what it comes down to is that while they may appear to be punished or rewarded in the here and now, this is but a temporary state of being and death is nothing but a transition into another form of life, perhaps these men who act immorally will receive karmic retribution, perhaps not.

I am reminded of something I read recently, this person had recently taken '___'

Several weeks later, still processing these two '___' experiences, I had one of the most realistic, vivid dreams I have ever had in my life. Christian Ratsch once described these types of dreams as Kali Dreams, after the Hindu goddess of mayhem and destruction.

In my dream, I was a child again back in middle school, talking to a beautiful young girl, who, in retropect, looked like Parvati, who is the loving, gentle alter-ego of Kali. Her gaze and awareness were piercing, focused, all-seeing, all-knowing and her eyes looked straight into me and gave me a queasy, nervous, glowy feeling, like intense love at first sight. The class bell rang, and she started for the classroom along with all my classmates, who were taking their seats. I had to go the bathroom, though, and I knew the teacher wouldn't mind me being a little late (it was my favorite Spanish teacher, incidently).

Returning from the bathroom, I walked into an empty classroom. The back door was open, though, and sun and breeze were streaming in. It was eerily quiet. I stepped out the back door to find the bodies of my classmates strewn all over the lawn, bloody, dead. Only a couple were still alive, catatonic, carefully loading the bodies into a sport-utility. I stood there in shock, watching the scene, trying to figure out what had happened, when I realized I was being watched. It was her, the beautiful girl, Parvati/Kali.

She looked at me with the slightest of smiles, wide eyes, arms and palms turned out towards me, presenting the entire scene to me. With that gaze, I instantly realized she had done this, she did it as a lesson for me, she was trying to show me how beautiful death can be, she killed these children to teach me and to teach them the beauty and value of both life and death. She freed them, she let them go, she returned them to the eternal all-pervasive universal consciousness. It was a gift, her gift, her eternal timeless lesson to us, to not hold on so tightly to such a precious gift as life and overlook the precious gift that is death.

With this realization and her gentle loving gaze, I was overcome with an overwhelming sense of peace, beauty, joy, despite my natural instincts of terror and revolt. The scene and the lesson before me was absolutely sacred and necessary. Kali had visited me. I opened my eyes and found myself wide awake in bed remembering clearly every vivid detail.

Do you believe in a soul or karma or an afterlife or reincarnation?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman

I worked in grocery stores for eight years and I saw that all the time.

Saw what exactly?

"Rude individuals that block aisles to have conversations with their friends, cut in front of you at the checkout line, grab the last item on the shelf just as your reaching for it, and become belligerent when you address their less than courteous behavior?

Is this what you are speaking of?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Yes. Winn Dixie was the worst, I can actually recall several fights.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

reply to post by LLoyd45

Do you believe in a soul or karma or an afterlife or reincarnation?
I believe there's a God, or at least some form of supreme being. Maybe souls or a divine spark that gives us life, but I definitely have no delusions about an afterlife or reincarnation.

When you die, you're dead! game over.. You have only one life to live, so live it well.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman

Yes. Winn Dixie was the worst, I can actually recall several fights.
Ditto to that, and the people in those motorized carts are the worst of all! They're constantly running over people's feet or bumping into their carts!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I believe there's a God, or at least some form of supreme being. Maybe souls or a divine spark that gives us life, but I definitely have no delusions about an afterlife or reincarnation.

When you die, you're dead! game over.. You have only one life to live, so live it well.

I see, how very upsetting. So once you are dead everything that defines you is completely wiped from existence? That seems like a rather nihilistic way of thinking. You are aware of the fact that any form of energy can be transformed into another form, but the total energy always remains the same? It's called the Conservation of energy. So if you do indeed have a soul or divine spark, that form of energy that is animating you at this very moment, it may never be destroyed, only transformed. Unless you'd like to redefine the laws of physics to fit into your philosophy.

[edit on 1/15/2009 by ExquisitExamplE]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I have worked for one of the major PC company's and in this line of service i noticed that pepole are just whiny and ignorant and acutaly forget that you are a human beeing and you cant change the laws of logisitcs and physics to make their computer work, this guy was calling about his computer, i said i could have a guy out there by tomorrow replaceing the defect part. and then he starts threating me and beeing right out rude. i quote "i will be out of computer for 24 hours why do i get this # service" pepole are used to certian things and when you tell them that you cant grant their dreams or deliver a simple computer part, or what ever they just go mental. yeah its all going to hell, and we all have first class tickets.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm from the me generation. I want it now. Whether it's a hot pocket or a house, I WANT IT NOW!!!

That's the attitude that is behind the housing crisis and our screwed up society.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I live in a town of 1,000,000 so, not NYC, but, not exactly a village. I must be pretty approachable as people generally speak to me in public. So, it is some vibe I am giving off. I do not live in a rough area, and I wouldn't go walking downtown alone at night.

YES, there are bad people out there, but, they are very outnumbered by the good ones. Yes, you take a chance if you loan someone money and had the person not paid us back, we were willing to not be upset over it.

Its like any animal on the planet. Take dogs. The vast majority of dogs in the world are good animals. I sure wouldn't approach a roaming pack of them! Doesn't mean all dogs are bad. Even if a few bite.

You can make a conscious choice every day what you want it to be like. Negative and full of cynicism or positive and looking on the bright side of life. There is always one even when awful things happen. Awful things DO happen. No one was born promised that life would be either easy or perfect. You make it what you want.

I know a few VERY negative people. They see only the bad, they see only the injustices done to them and they are hard to be around. They make their own misery.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by llpoolej

That's right, just like Pollyanna. I love your schweinehund by the way, Its Uber-Kawaii! I've always liked greyhounds, I have a dog that is 1/3 english sheep-dog, 1/3 greyhound, and 1/3 dalmation, his name is Buddy.

He is dumb as a rock, but boy can he fetch! My other dog is Sarah, she is quite a bit more intelligent and motherly.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The schweinerhund is really a whippet, but, impossible to tell the difference dressed like a pig. She was not amused and it was way beneath her dignity. I found it funny though.

That is one crazy sheepdog mix! Very cute. They don't have to be einstein to be a good dog. Your black and white looks like a border collie mix. Which, would make sense it was a smart dog!

Yes, Pollyanna. I am really not, but, times are hard and if you let negativity get you down, you just go down. I prefer to just get through hard times and be happy while I do it.

I guess I am just amazed at people's kindness to ME lately. It has been after I have been doing a lot of things for people because I wanted to. It doesn't always come back immediately. It will come back though

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I see, how very upsetting. So once you are dead everything that defines you is completely wiped from existence? That seems like a rather nihilistic way of thinking.
I don't consider myself to be a nihilist, just a realist. I see things for what they are, not how I'd like them to be. I believe in a higher power, and I also believe a person's life has meaning. That meaning however may vary from one person to the next though.

You are aware of the fact that any form of energy can be transformed into another form, but the total energy always remains the same? It's called the Conservation of energy. So if you do indeed have a soul or divine spark, that form of energy that is animating you at this very moment, it may never be destroyed, only transformed. Unless you'd like to redefine the laws of physics to fit into your philosophy.[edit on 1/15/2009 by ExquisitExamplE]
Yes, I'm aware of the Law of conservation of energy, but I must admit it's the first time I've ever seen it applied to a theological construct like a person's soul..

If you prefer to believe the majority of people are good, more power to you! I applaud your optimism. I personally take a much dimmer view of the human condition. Good people do exist today, but they're the exception, not the rule as you seem to believe. I took my rose colored glasses of many moons ago, and have never looked back.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I live in a town of 1,000,000 so, not NYC, but, not exactly a village. I must be pretty approachable as people generally speak to me in public. So, it is some vibe I am giving off. I do not live in a rough area, and I wouldn't go walking downtown alone at night.

YES, there are bad people out there, but, they are very outnumbered by the good ones.
If you truly believe your powers of positive thought work, you shouldn't fear walking down those downtown areas alone at night. Just flash those bad guys your friend-winning smile, and all should be well..

Yes, you take a chance if you loan someone money and had the person not paid us back, we were willing to not be upset over it.
It must be nice to have the luxury of lending money to people who may or not pay it back. Unfortunately not everyone runs a dealership, and must be careful with their capital investments.

I know a few VERY negative people. They see only the bad, they see only the injustices done to them and they are hard to be around. They make their own misery.
All I can say to this comment is: "Do you know what the difference is between a Liberal and a Conservative? "A Conservative is a Liberal that has been mugged.." It's all a matter of perspective.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Good people do exist today, but they're the exception, not the rule as you seem to believe.

Well now we are just dealing in absolutes, and as Obi-Wan Kenobi once said "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." A rather foolish statement, as the statement itself is an absolute. I get the gist of what Mr. Lucas was trying to say though, there are many shades of gray between black and white. If we were to use the Dungeons and Dragons system of alignment, I would consider myself as Chaotic Good, and you would perhaps be Chaotic Neutral.

I took my rose colored glasses of many moons ago, and have never looked back.

Perhaps you should put them back on, because your will is one of the strongest factors influencing your reality. It has been shown time and time again that prayer and/or meditation has significant effects and can improve the condition of sick people, bring you wealth and success, etc...

Traditionally, when flipping a 100 times, you statistically have a roughly 50/50 chance of coming up heads or tails, but they have shown in studies that if you concentrate on coming up heads every time, it improves the chance of that happening. This is because your will is shaping the reality around you.

So perhaps instead of seeing things for what they are, you should see them for what you want them to be, for this is what they shall become. Now is this going to stop me from getting robbed tomorrow, or losing my job, or any other potentially horrible things that may happen to me? Of course not, but what it will do is increase the potentiality of them not happening. As above, so below. As within, So without.

The Seven Principles of Hermes --

Wisdom of the ancient philosopher, Hermes Trismegistus.

1) Mentalism -- "Everything is mental; the Universe is
a mental creation of the All."

2) Correspondence -- "As above so below;
as below so above; as within so without;
as without so within."

3) Vibration -- "Nothing rests; everything moves;
everything vibrates."

4) Polarity -- "Everything is dual; everything has poles;
everything has its pair of opposites; opposites are
identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes
meet; all truths are but half truths."

5) Rhythm -- "Everything flows out and in;