It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Today... Well They Scare Me

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
They have already projected in their mind how they would use the item. People usually go to stores expecting the item to be there. They don't see or experience the store the same way the workers do. If they can't find it, the item must be in the back room, the back room of course is this massive place that has every item that was ever made, and of course their item is there. They are ready to spend dammit, and how dare you not let them!!!! People, I mean Consumers, don't like not getting what they came for, especially when they have money or credit to spend.

I wonder if that customer would have a better attitude if he was eating better food?

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Amelie]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think people are just venting onto a stranger. It isn't right and it isn't fair. I think 98% of people are guilty of it at some point in their life. Rightly or wrongly.

I have not had any issues with people but, I do my best to smile, walk with a happy step and talk with people. I can't remember a more stressful time in my life, well, financially, but, I think back to what my Mom went through when Dad died and its nothing compared to what she pulled out of

I have had to cancel my daughter's gymnastics and the next few months are going to be tough. I choose to look hopeful because being negative does NOT bring results to your life you want

I choose to be polite and nice to those I meet in the grocery line, in the drive throughs, everywhere. They are people too and usually the ones who get snapped at.

My life has been a series of things falling apart all at once(doesn't it always) My washing machine door latch is broken, so I have to Jerry rig it. I can make it work though so I have clean clothes! The hot water heater that was just 2 years old crapped out. We went 5 days without hot water. We had ways to get showers and my dishwasher has its own heater. When it came down to it, a friend came over one afternoon got it replaced via warranty, took out the old one and installed the new one. It was such a huge job and so kind! Asked for nothing in return. My husband almost cried at the kindness.

Our microwave(hood style) blew up. My husband remembered the reward points we had from Amex so we got those and were able to replace the microwave. Funny to watch my kids have no idea how to heat up something with no microwave! We are so used to modern conveniences!!

I was in the grocery(I found all I wanted) and as I was checking out I was chatting with the checker, the people in line and we were all happy and laughing. The lady in line told me "God Bless you" and meant it sincerely. I left my blackberry and it was waiting for me at the customer service counter. I had three people comment on my ringer which is Monty Python's "Bright side of life" www.mwscomp.com...

It makes me laugh, it makes people around me smile.

No, I am not the nicest person you will ever meet. But, I see the good side of people because I look for it. If you look for the bad, you will find it. And I promise, my life is teetering on the edge of insanity and financial ruin, but, I am going to look on the bright side of my life and there is a lot of good in it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelie
If they can't find it, the item must be in the back room, the back room of course is this massive place that has every item that was ever made, and of course their item is there. They are ready to spend dammit, and how dare you not let them!!!!

Thank you, this made my day. This is a good point and example of perception versus reality.

P.S. HI llpoolej! Good to hear from ya and thanks for sharing the testimony. The blessing that comes with our hard times is being compassionate towards others in their struggles. The day we forget is the day our heart turns to ice.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Believe me, it is harder to stay positive,but feels a lot better. Its tough. Life is not going to be easy for awhile, but, I feel it is going to be a good thing for the country in the end. Get out of the "must have now" mentallity and start saving for the future again.

Though, I do have negative feelings to what that might entail politically(indicting no party in particular!)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The bottom line is most people are very selfish and self-centered. They have no regard for their fellow man, and believe they can say or do whatever they please. They're emboldened to act this way because they realize they're are artificial constraints placed on people by our societal laws. Nobody wants to be arrested for silencing that smart-mouthed jerk who screams at them in traffic, blares their horn, or flips them the bird.

In grocery stores you have rude individuals that block aisles to have conversations with their friends, cut in front of you at the checkout line, grab the last item on the shelf just as your reaching for it, and become belligerent when you address their less than courteous behavior.

When things go to Hell, it will get very nasty. People will kill you nowadays for your shoes, imagine what they'll do when they're starving or suffering withdrawal from the illicit drugs they routinely take.. No police will equal total anarchy. Worse yet, man has a natural capacity for cruelty and sadism. Those wishing to die will probably get their wish, but unfortunately I doubt it will be as swift or painless as they would like. When someone has total control over another individual, their worst instincts and sickest desires come to the fore. Just read about the atrocities committed during war time by invading forces, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm all about death before dishonor, and will sell my life at the greatest price I can extract from my opponents.

I feel pity for those individuals in our society who are truly good and kind. They're poorly equipped to deal with the realities of the real World around them. Civility is only a mask that people wear out of a fear of consequences. Without law enforcement to keep things in check, that mask will be dropped in a New York minute. Pray you die quickly from a stray bullet, and don't have to witness the savagery of your fellow man against his neighbor.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The secret to survival for nice people is baking. When things go foul as described above, bake lots of cakes. People won't kill you when you give them cake...and we all know angry people don't have the patience to bake.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

You can bake all the cakes and bread you like, but unfortunately someone will come along that wants it all, and kill your for your kindly efforts. If you're extremely lucky, killing you will be the worst they'll do..

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
You can bake all the cakes and bread you like, but unfortunately someone will come along that want it all, and kill your for your kindly efforts. If you're extremely lucky, killing you will be the worst they'll do..

But what a gift it is to know that you've given an obviously treat-deprived person a sweet dessert that you've worked hard to make with your own hands. Despite the thanks received or lack thereof, being able to give one's heart is a blessing in itself.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
I work in grocery retail, and have been for about 2 years now. We usually have a couple items out of stock everyday, no big deal.

Well when a customer comes up to me and asks for a certain product, and I say it's out of stock they, well I don't really know how to put it. You could say that they throw a fit.

Grown adults curse and yell in the store when we don't have an item their looking for. I know it's a minor inconvenience, but seriously? It happens to me nearly everyday. I get yelled at by average people, just for not having any more pepperoni pizza pockets. Of course not everyone does this. The majority do though.

It got me to thinking though. All these things in the world are going down, the future of the US of A is not looking that bright. We are most likely going to see some very hard times up ahead.

I realized that if there is another depression, things are not going to be like they were back in the 30s. This time around people will be not so nice about it. People are going to be killing each other if they can't get what they want.

They freak out about some hot pockets, imagine when they can't afford to buy bread? To me the outlook for humanity, atleast here in the US is very dire. I highly doubt that we will bond together and make it through these hard times. This time around we will act like savages. Most allready do when their inconvenienced at the grocery store.

I have lost hope for humanity. I am truly scared to see what people will do when the times get really rough.

What do you guys think? Will we help each other out? Or will we act like we do at the grocery store?

Of course there are still lots of good people out there, but i'm talking about the majority.

Well this is twice today that this particular scripture popped into my head.

Paul in 2 Timothy 3:1-5 said, "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, truce breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

All the answers you seek to today's questions, the why's and the wherefore's are found in the Holy Bible.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

When things go to Hell, it will get very nasty. People will kill you nowadays for your shoes, imagine what they'll do when they're starving or suffering withdrawal from the illicit drugs they routinely take.. No police will equal total anarchy.

Civility is only a mask that people wear out of a fear of consequences. Without law enforcement to keep things in check, that mask will be dropped in a New York minute.

I completely agree. We have only seen a small part of what is yet to come. Mankind's appetite for brutality is unlimited. Look what happened in Africa when things first went bad, and thats in a place where people can actually get their own food from the wild. If it occurs in the worst way possible then in the cities it will be like hell on earth unless the government takes harsh and immediate action as soon as the problem hits.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
But what a gift it is to know that you've given an obviously treat-deprived person a sweet dessert that you've worked hard to make with your own hands. Despite the thanks received or lack thereof, being able to give one's heart is a blessing in itself.
The only treat people like that will get from my hands are of the leadened not leavened variety.

On a brighter note, keep thinking those happy thoughts! There's no reason everyone should be disheartened when contemplating the future.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I am a great baker! I will survive!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

In grocery stores you have rude individuals that block aisles to have conversations with their friends, cut in front of you at the checkout line, grab the last item on the shelf just as your reaching for it, and become belligerent when you address their less than courteous behavior.

Holy Christ, where in gods name do you live man? Do tell so I can avoid it like the plague. I have never witnessed any of this behavior; I was just at the grocery store the day before yesterday and there was a handicapped man driving a motorized shopping cart, I noticed him looking up at some items on the higher shelves that he couldn't reach, so I asked him if I could help, He accepted and thanked me kindly.

I passed by several women who I smiled at, they smiled right back at me. You must live in some kind of distinct and horrible alternate reality because I've never seen any of the things which you've described.

I feel pity for those individuals in our society who are truly good and kind. They're poorly equipped to deal with the realities of the real World around them. Civility is only a mask that people wear out of a fear of consequences.

I feel pity for those individuals in our society who are truly wicked and evil. They're poorly equipped to deal with the spiritual realities of the constructed reality in which they've been manifested. Charity is the only task of which you've been asked by the master.

Originally posted by Cauch1
If it occurs in the worst way possible then in the cities it will be like hell on earth unless the government takes harsh and immediate action as soon as the problem hits.

Oh yes, save me government! We need harsh and immediate action to be enacted swiftly upon the populace! Shackle me inside a train and take me to a labor camp! Divide up my family and take my children to re-education centers! Throw my dog and cat into the grinder, They're not productive members of society, and neither are the mentally disabled or physically handicapped! Take control of my finances and redistribute my belongings amongst the workers!

Surely we are incapable of banding together as brethren and working to better our individual communities! No, everyone knows we are little more than wolves when the going gets tough!

Now I know you are most likely not implying any of these things, but that's what springs to mind for me when I think of "Harsh and immediate action", and whats worse, you would seemingly advocate such action. Have a little faith in your fellow man, I am the son of man and as I said previously, I will help you in the coming days. Take my hand and be not afraid.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExquisitExamplE

Holy Christ, where in gods name do you live man? Do tell so I can avoid it like the plague. I have never witnessed any of this behavior; I was just at the grocery store the day before yesterday and there was a handicapped man driving a motorized shopping cart, I noticed him looking up at some items on the higher shelves that he couldn't reach, so I asked him if I could help, He accepted and thanked me kindly.

I passed by several women who I smiled at, they smiled right back at me. You must live in some kind of distinct and horrible alternate reality because I've never seen any of the things which you've described.
I live in the South, where believe it or not, people tend to be a bit more civilized. That's not saying much.. If I were to hazard a guess about your location, I'd say you must live in Mayberry along with Andy and all his friends. Those were the good old days for sure.. LOL

I feel pity for those individuals in our society who are truly wicked and evil. They're poorly equipped to deal with the spiritual realities of the constructed reality in which they've been manifested. Charity is the only task of which you've been asked by the master.
Keep feeling sorry for them, that's what they want you to do. It makes victimizing you all that easier. God isn't going to be of much help to you though when your on your knees with a gun pointed at the back of your head. I don't even want to think about what will happen to your family after you've gone to meet your maker.

Remember, God helps those who help themselves. He gives no guarantees that your life in this World will be a pleasant or carefree one.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

I admire your idealism, in a way I wish I was more hopeful like you are. Despite being rather young I have a very cynical view of the world around me.
However although I do not advocate government actions such as I mentioned I do believe that if they do not take control in a situation like that then either anarchy would ensue or some other group of people would take control (possibly led by someone like you) or at least bring in some sort of order in order to protect people.
To be honest the last event that I put forward there would be the most desirable, for people enduring the event to be the ones helping and controlling. However as you said I am a "man of little faith" and despite what I hope for I would not stake my life on people grouping together like that for the good of others.

Another thing although I cannot relate entirely to LLoyd45 about what his area is like I have known people to display aspects like that occasionally especially people who react aggressively to being told that their actions are disrupting or upsetting other customers.

Note: I seem to keep contradicting or bothering you. Apologies if it is getting on your nerves.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I have traveled all over and know people from all walks of life and all geographic areas. What I have found is people react to what you project. If you are projecting what you are on here, you are going to find that people are much more difficult.

If you smile at people, hold doors, offer help like the prior poster did, you will find the world around you very different. I live in the south and I find people no more or less pleasant than I did when I lived in the midwest.

Seriously, when out in public, just try those things. Smiling at people, holding a door, and actually feeling friendly. I bet you will find that people aren't nearly as bad as you are finding them now.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is no big conundrum ....

There are two laws

1. ‘“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.”

- guess who ?

And the opponent :

2. "Do what Thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

- ALEISTER CROWLEY respresentative of his opponent ... guess who ?

people are exceedingly following number 2 - resulting in the predictable results .....

No big mystery there ....

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej
I have traveled all over and know people from all walks of life and all geographic areas. What I have found is people react to what you project. If you are projecting what you are on here, you are going to find that people are much more difficult.

If you smile at people, hold doors, offer help like the prior poster did, you will find the world around you very different. I live in the south and I find people no more or less pleasant than I did when I lived in the midwest.

Seriously, when out in public, just try those things. Smiling at people, holding a door, and actually feeling friendly. I bet you will find that people aren't nearly as bad as you are finding them now.

It's not about projection, it's about society today. I've lived all over the country as well, and people are basically the same wherever you go. The only difference is some are better at disguising their true selves than others. People today are selfish, greedy, and expect immediate gratification of their every want and desire. Someone could literally kill you in the middle of sidewalk in some places like Chicago or New York, and no one would lift a hand to help you. The really sad part though is that attitude of self-absorption, is now spreading like a virus all over the country. If you doubt my words, just find yourself an inner city street say in Chicago, and take a stroll down the block. Smile all you like, and see if it really makes any difference as to how well you're received. LOL

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
That is because you believe that. It must be what you are surrounding yourself with.

I have found people to be the exact opposite. As long as I am giving and kind without thought to being given back to.

Some one I know called driving through town and said their brakes sounded funny. I told them to come right over to the dealership and have them looked at. She had a van load of show dogs and I didn't want her broken down on the road.

My husband and his friend replaced her brakes for the cost of parts. We fronted the money and she paid us back when she got home.

I have another friend who came over and completely replaced our hot water heater for us. It took all day. He asked for nothing in return

Yes, some people are not nice. Most are. I could go on and on about what people have done for me that touch my heart. I am sorry you feel as you do about people.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by llpoolej

I can completely understand what you are saying here however you should not be so quick to condemn what LLoyd45 has said. I am not saying he is right about all people or that you are completely wrong however the people you mentioned were friends of yours who you had a friendly relationship with. I know that in my area if you keep smiling at everyone they will either decide that you are a nutter to be avoided or that you are trying to get something from them. Either way they are unlikely to warm to you.

But I can see what you are getting at I just think it would only work on small scale like in villages or other places where you meet the same people regulary and wouldn't in larger towns and cities.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join