It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Today... Well They Scare Me

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beege24
reply to post by kinda kurious

Sorry I have no idea how to Quote yet... but you last post was hilarious!

Upper right hand siode of blog, says 'quote', and 'reply'. Hit that 'quote' box, and it will appear on your screen and you can write around it.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nrky

I was managing the Village Hamburger Stand in Yosemite one summer, with 8 lines out the door, and 40 employees. One woman insisted that a mistake had been made on her order, and demanded the order be hers for free. I looked into it, and came back in defense of the poor college student. She caused a scene, and I did not back down. I really don't think that the customers there thought anything bad about our behavior, but rather hers. The other employees appreciated my standing up to her, for sure.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious
One woman insisted that a mistake had been made on her order, and demanded the order be hers for free. I looked into it, and came back in defense of the poor college student. She caused a scene, and I did not back down. I really don't think that the customers there thought anything bad about our behavior, but rather hers. The other employees appreciated my standing up to her, for sure.

I'd always questioned, "The Customer is always right". Everywhere else in the world I've always understood right to be "right is right" no matter who you are. Yielding to truth to me is much more respectful than bowing to the dollar. I suppose we all have the right to choose our god.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

Dude majorly unlucky to get landed with a customer like that. I work part time in a restaurant part-time and people are nearly always very understanding when we are understaffed and I can't take their order or get their extras because I have multiple other tables to deal with.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious

Originally posted by Beege24
reply to post by kinda kurious

Sorry I have no idea how to Quote yet... but you last post was hilarious!

Upper right hand siode of blog, says 'quote', and 'reply'. Hit that 'quote' box, and it will appear on your screen and you can write around it.

Thanks! I appreciate the help. Now if only I could figure out the avatars!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It's not that new a phenomenon. Back in the early '80s I worked in retail and came to the conclusion that 70% of the general public are nuts. One memorable example was when I was working in a DIY superstore.
Every Tuesday morning at about 1030 a guy in his 50s would go up to the timber department, select lengths of wood and then throw them across the floor angrily whilst shouting that none of them were the same height as his door.

This went on for three weeks and eventually my boss (who'd been a Captain in the British Army until he was dishonerably discharged - he never told me why, but I think I was about to find out) went for him.
My boss had his fist clenched and his arm pulled back about to let fly. I grabbed his fist just in time. It was a real Pythonesque "Don't kill the customers" moment. The guy never came back.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This may have already been said on this thread, I did not read the whole thread. But, in my opinion people are very stressed out. I know I have thrown a fit once or twice. I have never directed my anger against the grocery worker, or banker, or other retailer. Unless ofcourse they get cocky then I may direct my anger at them personaly. After a long day at work if I go into a store having an absolute craving for pepperoni pizza pockets and they aren't there I usualy wont throw a fit I would simply buy something comparable. But if I go into a store and want Lays potato chips and I cannot find them and I ask a clerk and they are a smart ass well then they may eat the nearest thing I can grab (literaly) before I would even realise what I was doing. I think most of this stems from our society being so over stressed. If an acual depression hit we might acualy be less stressed in that we will not be running the rat race everyday. When a parent works, weather single or not, we jugle so much. Bills, work, that ass hole at work, kids, teachers, laundry, preparing meals, houskeeping, laundry well it goes on and on so when something hits us the wrong way, well we SNAP. This is not uncommon, and I do not think it is personla tho the clerk. unless they were disrespectful first. I guess my biggest pet peeve is when someone works at the checkout and they are hatful as hell. I always say honey you probably only make $8.00 an hour, if you are that miserable quit, but do not take it out on me. Any way that is my take on it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Think about the Africans who starve en masse and have been starving for at least as long as I can remember. I have never heard of the clans or tribes fighting over food, only the government taking away what the UN sends and then shooting them. Mogadishu.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
yeah catamaran makes a good point on how people behave differently in a place such as Africa. Unfortunately I do not that fair share attitude will be as present if it is at all here in the 1st world.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Wow, the majority of people really act so childish when a product is not in stock?

That is a shame really.

The few times I was unable to find an item and I asked an employee of they had it, and they didnt. I have always said something to the extent of "oh thats ok Thank you for checking for me" Then I smile and walk away.

Why is it such a big deal that something is out of stock? Are you going to die with out hotpockets?

people take issue with such ridiculous things that it is mind boggling.

The few time I go to a fast food resteraunt and the cashier is new or doesnt speak english very well, so therefore they are a bit slow to get the order down I am ALWAYS patient.

That is mainly because I used to work fastfood and I recall how badly I was treated by customers... I vowed to never treat anyone that way.

I always encourage them to take their time and ask another employee for help if they need to. I tell them I am in no hurry. Before when A customer was hassling a cashier I have told them, "Hey I have an idea. Why do you get behind the register and take MY order. Let's see just how well you do. I bet you would do worse than the person taking orders now. If so is it ok for me to yell at you too? They shut up then.

peoples attitude in general is terrible. They expect what the want RIGHT NOW and IT BETTER BE PERFECT! They forget that these people are JUST HUMAN and are capable of making mistakes.

people be patient with others and learn that it really is not a big deal to have to wait 2 minutes to see if an item is in stock. You will live with out hotpockets. If an order is wrong, it WILL be fixed.

Ger over yourselves. They, LIKE YOU, are only human.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
The few time I go to a fast food resteraunt and the cashier is new or doesnt speak english very well, so therefore they are a bit slow to get the order down I am ALWAYS patient.

I agreed with all of your post apart from this part. If they do not speak English then they should not be working in the public sector in an English speaking country. I would not take that problem up with them of course (for a start it would be quite pointless) but in my opinion the management should be told that it is unacceptable to hire a person who is unable to understand the customer. It is unfair on the employee and the customer. If you are going to be speaking to English speaking customers then they should be able to converse in English with them.

-Cauch1

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

The look of hate, on the road at least, is for those dork cell phone users because they are driving hugh vehicles, can't stay in their lane, all over the place, not stopping or starting when they should because their ear is glued to their cell phone while they are suppose to be D.R.I.V.I.N.G.

Yesterday I was driving in my lane at the correct speed, some idiot almost side swiped me because she was yabbing on her cell phone and not looking to see if anyone was in the other lane.

PEOPLE OUT THERE: IF I'M DRIVING IN BACK OF YOU I CAN TELL IF YOU ARE ON A CELL PHONE BECAUSE YOU'RE DRIVING IS CRA*PY.

UNGLUE YOUR EAR, SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND F.O.C.U.S. on driving safely.

Cell phones are getting to be a BIG PROBLEM because so many people just don't realize they are putting everyone around them in danger because they just can't stop running their mouth.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

And the real question I have is... What are they TALKING ABOUT!??

Most people I meet these days do not know anything except what they have seen on TV!

Are they just discussing TV, the Weather, Sports, Dating, and Celebrity Rumours in a horrible circle of irrelevant ignorance?

(those 5 topics make up 98%+ of all cell phone conversations I hear - the other 2% are grocery store lists and arguing with billing/customer service)

Most people in my age group no longer have a firm grasp of the Bill of Rights or even How Many Planets there are in our Solar System!

(and I'm not even counting them down for saying 9 - it's usually more like "uuhhh six? I don't know their names")

It's like an never ending epsiode of "Jay-walking" out there - people please - turn off the TV and PUT THE PHONES DOWN!

Read a book or two and have something worth saying!!

Oh - and cashiers are getting worse as well - every other time I go to a store now the employee is Bitching about their lunch or break - right while checking me out - I worked in retail for a decade so I KNOW that is really f'in rude behavior!

Unbelivable!!!

[edit on 10-4-2009 by TruthMagnet]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join