It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1976 Tehran, F-4 Phantom Chases UFO Case

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Read this case a long time ago, found it very intriguing.

This occured on September 18th 1976 when an unidentified "aircraft flew into restricted airspace of Tehran, Iran. Reports started coming in from the general public about an strange object in the night sky. Initial reports from citizens described the object as "bird like", "a bright light" and "A helicopter with brigth light". The duty officer that took the calls that night had no procedure in which to act on with these reports, so the Assistant Deputy Commander of Operations, B.G Yousefi apparetly told the concerned citizens that they were most probably observing a star. Still intrigued himself, he contacted Air Traffic Control who confirmed the reports, which led him to investigate the "UFO" for himself. Unfortunantly that night, the radar was "conveniently" out of service due to maintenance, so it is not known if the object was visible on ground radar

After investigating deeper, with more calls coming in and seeing the sources of some of these calls, he actually went to view the object himself. When he saw the object, he knew instantly that it was not something celestial of nature, nor was it an Iranian airforce aircraft and he scrambled an American made F-4 Phantom Fighter Jet to intercept the object (see plane details on below link)

en.wikipedia.org...

ATC's (Hossain Pirouzi) own description of object:

Suddenly, it appeared to disappear and then suddenly re-appear a mile further on just seconds later. I could see it this time as bright as the sun. It was all yellow, like a star, but much bigger. Then it appeared to me to be like a starfish. I can't be sure of the colors but there were blue, orange, red and yellow lights

The F-4 left the runway at 01:30am, towards the object which was due north of Tehran approximately 70 miles away. Yousefi was giving instruction over to the pilot through Pirouzi during the incident, the initial instructions were to get close and describe its shape, but nothing else. The pilot reported that the object was rectangular shaped.

Soon after this he radioed in again reporting that he was travelling at a speed of Mach Two and could not keep up with the object. Yousefi told him to fly back towards Tehran. On his way back, the object suddenly appeared over Tehran again somehow beating the fighter back. The pilot resumed the chase, but this time everytime he got close to the object, his instruments went haywire and he heard "emergency signals" (indicate a aircraft in distress, more later). At this time however, his engines were functioning as normal. Eventually the pilot reported his fuel was running low and he was ordered to land

A second F-4 was scrambled as the first pilot landed. When this pilot closed in, he to lost all navigation instruments and radio. Prior to this, the F-4 got a return on the radar which indicating the size of the UFO was similar to that of a 707 jet.

After a brief chase, the pilot reported he could not keep up with the object and decided to return to base. As he swung around, the object divided into 2 pieces and a small illuminated object chased the F-4. The pilot flew directly over the tower in Tehran, with the small object 500ft above and behind him. This was also witnessed from the ground. As suddenly as it had came, the light returned back to the main object. (Some reports indicate the pilot tried to fire an AIM-9 missile at the object, but his weapon control went offline)

As the pilot flew back to Tehran, he reported that the smaller object had again left the large piece and settled on the ground south east of Tehran, with the main object orbiting overhead. He also reported that the light was so intense he could see the terrain on the ground

Eventually the object left the area at around 04:00am

Additonally, the next morning this occured:

Shortly after dawn on September 19, the F-4 crew boarded a helicopter to return to the site of the UFO landing. No trace of the landing was found at the site (a dry lakebed), but the area is being checked for possible changes in radiation levels. The helicopter left the area and circled off to the west. As they were leaving the site, the helicopter radio started picking up a very noticeable beeper signal. Near the point where the signal was being received most clearly, the crew noticed an isolated farm house. They landed and asked the resident if he had noticed anything unusual the night before. The farmer replied that he had noticed a loud sound and a very bright light in the area of the landing site.

Also a classified message from the US embassy in Tehran was sent to Washington describing the incident. It remained classified for over a year before being released. The following document has what was written in those.

www.ufoevidence.org...

Links

www.cohenufo.org...

www.ufoevidence.org...

ufos.about.com...

[edit on 1/1/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Also forgot to add this

"We had no aircraft expected to land, although around this time several aircraft were due to cross into our flight information region. They started to report by radio that they could hear emergency sig­nals coming from an automatic aircraft distress transmitter.

“The first report in was a BOAC airliner, who called and said, 'Do you have a crashed aircraft in your area? We are receiving an automatic signal on 121.12 megacycles.' We said we had no crashed aircraft or missing ones in our area nor had any made a forced landing.

"Then a Swissair, a Lufthansa and an Iran Airlines plane all reported hearing the emergency signal. I decided to report the whole thing to the air force base because by now I was getting really worried

Enjoy

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this intriguing case with us! I found this part of the story quite amazing, but it also has to be said that the event has not been confirmed:

In December 1977, the Iran case took another strange twist. A scientist that I will call “X” claimed to have heard some startling new information. “X” was flying to Chicago on an airliner and fell into a conversation with the man in the next seat, who turned out to be a very high-ranking Iranian air force officer in civilian clothes. He was based temporarily at a U.S. Air Force base in Texas.

After discussing a number of other things, “X” asked about UFO sightings in Iran that had been mentioned recently in the newspapers. “X” said the officer began talking about the September 18, 1976, case and claimed that the UFO had hovered over the military air base next to Mehrabad for forty-eight hours and seemed to be communicating with the field on the air traffic control radio band.

He said no one could understand the language, which was described as conversational, and the Shah of Iran became personally involved. He had a team of linguists flown in from another country to try to decipher the language. They were unsuccessful.

More here:
www.ufoevidence.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Theres also a peruvian AF pilot who chased a UFO over peru. he actually managed to shoot at it with the fighters cannons but according to the pilot the bullets passed right through the UFO as if it was not solid. he chased the UFo at over mach when suddenly the UFo stopped dead and after the fighter wizzed passed the UFO picked up again this time chasing the fighter instead of the other way around. the peruvian pilot tried climbing in an effort to keep up with the UFO his plane lost control and stalled out at 65k feet, way above the planes operating ceiling. was an interesting case too.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yeah, this is a good case.

If I’m not mistaken the Iranian pilot was on James Fox’s National Press Club event in November 2007.

I think he starts to talk at 24 minutes in this video. Sorry for the German subs, couldn’t find any other version on google video without them.

edit: Found the video without German subs on Youtube here. The Iranian pilot starts to talk at the 3 minute mark.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by danx]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Nice post Oz!
Star and Flag

When I first started reading it I thought for sure that it was one or multiple Boliods, but then it started doing things that boliods obviously cannot do. I always find it interesting that aircraft start having problems when they near such objects, especially military aircraft as their instruments are hardened against EMP. It makes me wonder if they are due to atmospheric changes around the pitots and static air ports, rather then magnetism or radiation.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The problems are mainly due to the anti-gravity devices, which will cause a huge magnetic field around the ship and if any plane goes nearby, the magnetic field starts to act on the plane, causing the instruments to malfunction.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Thats really interesting, but Im not sure about th validity of that one. One of the pilots that was involved in the incident is now a general in the Iranian airforce, and said nothing about that, and neither did the general in charge at the time.

Very interesting though, thanks

And if anyone can find anymore on that be sure to post it

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There is no mentioning, whether radiation has eventually been detected on the landing site. Had they spotted any radiation traces?

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
The problems are mainly due to the anti-gravity devices, which will cause a huge magnetic field around the ship and if any plane goes nearby, the magnetic field starts to act on the plane, causing the instruments to malfunction.

If only things were so black & white in this field...

There are numerous accounts and cases where UFOs flew next to planes and nothing happened to them. In fact, I would say the majority of the cases involving UFOs and airliners, the airliners suffered no interference whatsoever.

There’s also the accounts of people whose cars stopped when UFOs flew over, or were near. And then there are numerous other accounts where no such effects occurred.

For example, and if I’m not mistaken, no one reported any interferences in Phoenix in March 1997 (aka Phoenix Lights), where allegedly a massive triangular or boomerang shaped craft flew over the city at a low altitude.

One thing I’ve learned and came to accept long ago regarding the UFO field and phenomena: nothing is clear-cut. Which most likely translates in: there’s not one single explanation or reason.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I have heard that there are two kinds of anti-gravity devices, ones which use stored electricity, and other which I think uses some rotating shafts powered by stored potential energy, and those do not form electromagnetic fields.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by danx
[There are numerous accounts and cases where UFOs flew next to planes and nothing happened to them. In fact, I would say the majority of the cases involving UFOs and airliners, the airliners suffered no interference whatsoever.

Very true

Im wondering if they use it as some sort of defense. Assuming that it was an alien craft, maybe sending out some kind of impulse to an aircraft that is considered a threat is a weapon they use?

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Im wondering if they use it as some sort of defense. Assuming that it was an alien craft, maybe sending out some kind of impulse to an aircraft that is considered a threat is a weapon they use?

That’s an interesting and probable hypothesis. One other I would suggest is that, from their actions, they seem to want to be noticed.

I say this because of situations like people’s cars being turned off and then turning back on. I mean, what sort of threat a little human in a pickup truck going about his business on the road would pose to advanced beings in a craft?

So to me, it’s either a byproduct of their propulsion/guidance/whatever systems, or sometimes they produce these interferences on purpose to cause a reaction from the observer.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by danx

Yeah, but then again, one has to take into account the validity of some claims.

This case is very interesting as it involves military personnell and civilian reports, and had information from a high ranking officer who spoke out. Its similar I guess to the Rendleshem forrest encounter except there was no pressure on the people to change their accounts from senior officers

[edit on 1/1/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Yeah, but then again, one has to take into account the validity of some claims.

Oh, no doubt. And there are credible accounts attesting to each scenario.

There was a case in Illinois (I believe the UFO Hunters covered it in Episode 2 of Season 2), where numerous police officers from different cities, saw the UFO, reported it on the radio, even chased the object for long periods of time.

I remember one of police officers talking about his car had completely shutdown when the UFO was over him.

edit: I’m not sure the case where what I was talking about happened was in Illinois. I just remembered that UFO Hunters episode dealt with 2 different cases. One in 1994 in Ohio and Michigan, and other in 2000 in Millstadt, Illinois.

I will have to check see which one is. But I’m completely positive I remember the police officer talking about his car shutting down.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Yeah I'm aware of this case. I find this to be one of the most credible and intriguing cases there are.

If I'm not mistaken I think that this Iranian pilot was on James Fox's 'out of the blue'? .. The simulation they showed in that doc was pretty crazy. I've always found it fascinating that this UFO in particular had so many colors.. blue yellow red and so on.. What would your explanation be for this object if you were the one whom encountered it?

Also that farmer they questioned.. he said he heard a 'loud noise'? what kind of noise do you guys think he was talking about? the fighter jet? or the UFO itself? .. of course he mentioned seeing a bright light at the landing area so that verifies that a UFO was there. Amazing how the chopper receives a bleeping signal just when they decide to take off.

For me Rendlesham/Bentwaters case has always been the best and very similar to this one, but this one comes second TBH.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

thats what i think, if your technology is so far ahead you wouldnt need to blast things out of the sky that might pose a threat.
if you detect them arming a missle system or similar then you can just get their displays and warning lights to go crazy or jam the weapon systems and they'll turn for home rather than risk failure of their plane.

its a passive way of immediately disarming any threat and discouraging any followers which would probably appear as a minor threat anyway to a craft with such high technology as a UFO.

if a child approached you with a nerf gun you dont need to retalliate with a 44 magnum when you can easily just brush them aside and walk on by

[edit on 1/1/09 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Great post OzWeatherman,

This incident is definitely one of the best UFO events of all time and is very strong evidence that something strange is flying around our sky's. in my opinion there is only a couple possible explanations of what the object could have been. i seriously doubt it was somekind of atmospheric anomaly. it may have been a secret military craft and this was a test to see what would happen when engaged or it was something from an Alien intelligence.

what i want to know is, where are the photos of the object ? i would be willing to bet that they got this on camera somehow since it was seen up to 70 miles away. does anyone know if there are pictures of the object ?

[edit on 2-1-2009 by easynow]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I think that in the case of the iranian pilot the emp like effects on his weapon systems was most likely from some sort of beam the craft/s used to discourage the fighter.

I think some UFO's do cast massive magnetic fields that emp the electrical devices in the area. but I think that those craft are in the minority. I think a lot of the craft especially the triangular ones use microwaves to induce a soliton wave underneath the craft which it then floats on. the process uses Phase Conjugate Microwave Resonance techniques (a process used mainly in optical-starwars program, and radar devices-advanced antiaircraft radar, and in satellite tracking and for hard to track or intercept communications purposes.) The sport model, the tr-3b, and just about all UFO's with three lights or protrusions on it's bottom use this.

Craft using this method of propulsion create the weird humming and other tones heard and described by witnesses. the beam creates piezoelectric like vibrations in the objects it reflects off of on the ground. the objects vibrate and create the sound not the craft. also if the beam is finessed poorly or if it on accident is not spread out over enough surface area and is focused too tightly it will lock on on small objects and push against them with a repulsive force on occasion. this is why things like cars will gently rock or when people claim to have been knocked down by an unseen force when the ufo suddenly departs. some people have even claimed that while being knocked down their car windshield would shatter like a blast of air hit it but there was no blast of air.

The phase shifting of the saw tooth waveform the microwave beam from negative to positive will create a attractive effect instead of a repulsive effect. what ever the beam locks on will then be pulled toward the lens.

I'm glad that the aliens only use emp on us and not war of the worlds style death rays, although I'm sure they have them.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
One of the most interesting cases ever, for sure: thanks for sharing

foia.abovetopsecret.com...
Report on Sighting of UFO in Iran, Sept, 1976
A report regarding a sighting of a UFO by four witnesses in Iran
Document date: 1976-09-19
Department: USAF?
Author: Not Stated
Document type: report
pages: 3

Teheran Ufo Case, 1976 : Interview with Iranian Pilot

DRAWING BASED ON A SKETCH AND DESCRIPTION BY PIROUZI (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

“Suddenly it appeared at another position one mile further on.” That is, it was slowly traveling north but suddenly it disappeared and a few seconds later appeared at a further north location. Pirouzi also said it moved southward at times. “I could see it this time as bright as a sun. It was all yellow, like a star, but much bigger. Then it appeared to me to be like a starfish. I can’t be sure of the order of the colors but there were blue, orange, red and yellow lights.”

THE ABOVE DRAWINGS ARE BASED ON SKETCHES AND DESCRIPTIONS BY PIROUZI (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

Pirouzi gave the binoculars to the others present and “they saw the object as a half-circle, in the same colors, blue, range, red and yellow.” The object seemed to change it’s shape. While Pirouzi over several minutes watched the apparent shape seemed to change from cylindrical, with blue ends and a red light going around the middle, to a fan like shape with drooping blades (“starfish” shaped) with fuzzy edges. The “blades” were dark orange near the hub changing to yellow at the tips. “The hub itself was made up of two concentric areas of color. There seemed to be a large green surface and then a smaller core which glowed like a piece of red hot coal.” One of the trainee witnesses compared it to an orange-red horseshoe with a blue area in the enclosed space of the horseshoe.

MAP OF TEHRAN SHOWING THE VARIOUS APPARENT LOCATIONS OF THE UFO ACCORDING TO PIROUZI (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

MACH 2 IS NOT ENOUGH: THE FIRST JET CHASE

Jafari put the “pedal to the metal” and reached a speed of about Mach 2 (1,500 mph or 25 miles per minute) and still couldn’t catch it. He was flying toward the Afghanistan, about 500 miles east of Tehran. Youssefi ordered him to return to Tehran if he couldn’t catch it, so Jafari turned and headed back eastward. The object also reversed direction and begn to chase the plane. In a short section of an audio tape recording (I presume made at the Air Traffic Control Center at Mehrabad) that was published in a local newspaper (see below), Jafari reported “something is coming at me from behind. It is 15 miles away…now ten miles…now five miles…It is level now…I think it is going to crash into me…It has just passed me by..missing me narrowly..” According to the newspaper report, “The disturbed voice of the pilot was clear on the tape. He then asked to be guided back to base.”

According to the Air Force teletype message, based on the interview of the second pilot during the following day, the “backseater acquired a radar lock on at 27 nm, 12 o’clock high position with the VC (rate of closure) at 150 mph. As the range decreased to 25 nm the object moved away at a speed that was visible on the radar scope and stayed at 25 nm.” [Comment: to decrease the distance by 2 nm when the rate of closure is 150 nm/hr would require about 48 seconds. Apparently the VC decreased as the object sped up, meaning that the lock-on period was definitely longer than 48 seconds.] The AF teletype message further states, “The size of the (radar) return was comparable to a 707 tanker. The visual size of the object was difficult to discern because of its intense brilliance. The light that it gave off was that of flashing strobe lights arranged in a rectangular pattern and alternating blue, green, red and orange in color. The sequence of the lights was so fast that all the colors could be seen at once.”

DRAWING BASED ON THE DESCRIPTION BY ONE OF THE PILOTS (Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee)

The pilots were interviewed the next day. The Military Assistance and Advisory Group (MAAG), in the person of Lt. Col. Mooy, sat in on the interview of the second pilot who landed at Mehrebad. (Only a second hand, and very shortened, version of the first pilot’s story was available to Col. Mooy.) This interview forms the core of the official teletype message that was sent to many USA military and intelligence agencies including the three armed services, the CIA, National Security Agency (NSA), the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the White House.

As indicated in the above list of recipients of the teletype message, the Defense Intelligence Agency of the U. S. Government got a copy of this teletype, as did the Chief of Staff of the Air Force (CSAF), the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), the Chief of Staff of the Army (CSA), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the National Security Agency (NSA), the White House, the Secretary of State (SECSTATE), the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (DEPSECDEF) and others.

Col. Roland Evans wrote an evaluation of the report, dated October 12, 1976. Evans wrote:

1) An outstanding report: this case is a classic which meets all the criteria necessary for a valid study of UFO phenomena
a. The object was seen by multiple witnesses from different locations (i.e., Shemiran, Mehrebad and the dry lake bed) and viewpoints (both airborne and from the ground)
b. The credibility of many of the witnesses was high (an Air Force General, qualified aircrews and experienced tower operators)
c. Visual sightings were confirmed by radar
d. Similar electromagnetic effects (EME) were reported by three separate aircraft [Note: this refers to the electomagnetic interference reported by the jets and the commercial airliner]
e. There were physiological effects on some crew members (i.e., loss of night vision due to the brightness of the object)
f. An inordinate amount of maneuverability was displayed by the UFOs
The report evaluation form indicated that the reliability of the information was “confirmed by other sources” and the value of the information was “High (Unique, Timely and of Major Significance).” The information would be “Potentially Useful” as “Current Intelligence.”

Full Article by Bruce Maccabee

The entire report can be found here.

The text of the teletype report to the Pentagon and other Federal agencies

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join