It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 518
<< 515  516  517    519  520  521 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've decided it's probably not wise to pretend that guessed data is reliable. It's best to just wait until the official list is done and then make pretty charts out of it; otherwise, what's the point of the charts? It's virtually sensationalism. So, I've replaced the graph with the official list-so-far, rather than engage in speculation...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/759fdf271646.png[/atsimg]

It still trends about the same. Starts small, works up to the 21st, then settles down again. The actual numbers hardly even matter...

[edit on 1/27/2010 by Thought Provoker]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
That's a lot of earthquakes. Does that count includes every earthquake occurred in the area, or since it's only those automatically detected, there are more to add? If yes, how many more do you think they would be?

[edit on 2010-1-26 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

I'd imagine the number usually goes down after review, if anything. The guessed count of 1,437 (which really shouldn't be believed yet) occurred in a square area constrained by 44.4, -110.8 and 44.65, -111.1 between midnight of the 15th and midnight of the 27th (UTC). Again, and I can't stress this enough, less than a third of those events have been reviewed. There's really no telling how many will be left once they're done filtering.

PS: by "filtering," I meant going over the data by hand for each recorded event and fine-tuning the quake's statistics or removing it from the list because it wasn't a quake. It's obviously a very slow, detailed process. 1,100 events is gonna take a while, but getting things right takes time.

[edit on 1/27/2010 by Thought Provoker]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I remember reading a scientific guide to 2012, and one of the theories was that yellowstone is a huge super volcano way overdue for an eruption.
an eruption that would be so large that it would cover a large part of the earth with ash and cloud and plummet the earth into another iceage.

so maybe thats why we are seeing extra earthquakes than normal?
have we all got our food stocked up?
lol

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Plots are great - according to that plot we see a straight edge decline so to speak (where's the red line? lol)- which of course could change at any moment - --

Folks, I think it is great that people are sharing knowledge to help provide information/answers.

I look forward to the new plots we are sure to see tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Pan7her

The simple truth is, nobody knows, nor will know until the signs become way-obvious (and they're not yet). Many similar swarms have happened in the past few decades, then they just went away. Statistically-speaking, this one probably will too eventually, and we'll all have to find something else to chat about until the next swarm. But even if you stock up and nothing happens, at least you won't have to go shopping for a while. It never hurts to be prepared, for quakes, or floods, or hurricanes, or tornadoes, or epidemics, or asteroids, or any of the million other thngs everyone worries about to extremes.

Myself, I just find Yellowstone very interesting to observe, to measure, to watch and report on. Someday that job might get very important very quickly... and it never hurts to be prepared.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa

Yes, I eventually figured out that I did read the question wrongly, but in the end I opted to not revise my post as in the next one you posted an image to the company email, so that somebody brave enough could contact them to ask if there were any blasts in that period (but as they're a private company, they don't have any obligation to reply to such questions, I think).

I did some looking around and found that they are required to provide a public blasting schedule as seen in the document linked below. They got a slap on the wrist for failure to do so a few years back it looks like. I also found a web page titled 'Notice of Blasting Activity' but you have to pay a fee & subscribe. Not quite as public as I was hoping for, I'll keep looking to see if I can find one. Might be interesting to mesh the data to see how it correlates...

deq.state.wy.us...

[edit on 26-1-2010 by sageturkey] Sorry, having issues with the quotes...

[edit on 26-1-2010 by sageturkey]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Seeing this forecast, it is very likely that we're seeing recordings of avalanches-

www.jhavalanche.org...

I was looking also for possible gas emission reports, and only found a really neat paper about the different types of springs with really good photos. It makes me really hope I can get that far west someday.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Bring it on. It would be nice to end everything in a way that we have no option, no say in the matter. i'm pretty close, i wouldn't be covered in ash but i bet i would have lava in my front yard!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I, ah, huh? I for one don't think it'd be nice at all to end things... So if it comes to a vote...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I vote for the earth vanishing into a black hole generated at CERN a few months from now. We'd never know what happened. (Not that I think that's remotely likely, or even possible, but... science is a strange mistress.)

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lookingup4it

You do realise that if it did blow it would be a global catastrophe? not something that would be awesome to watch, then life would go back to normal right?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lookingup4it
Bring it on. It would be nice to end everything in a way that we have no option, no say in the matter. i'm pretty close, i wouldn't be covered in ash but i bet i would have lava in my front yard!

You should get out and learn to love life. Sure it can be hard but your post is just silly.

Go watch the road

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The N-E activity seemingly not related to the western swarm.

I used the following charts to check this stuff
N-E used YPK, YMP, YJC
Western swarm YMC, YMR

MST/UTC mins jus to locate the stuff easier

21-01-2010
01:00/08:15 between 10-14(mins)
10:00/17:15 between 02-05(mins)
14:00/21:15 between 05-08 and 11-15(mins)
18:00/01:15 between 00-02(mins)

22-01-2010
13:00/20:15 between 01-04(mins)
14:00/21:15 between 08-14(mins)

23-01-2010
02:30/09:45 between 05-07(mins)
04:45/12:00 between 04-06(mins)
10:15/17:30 between 09-13(mins)
12:00/19:15 between 04-08(mins)
15:00/22:15 between 02-05(mins) The “mine” we are talking about

24-01-2010
08:15/15:30 between 07-08(mins) small quake 1.x around there
11:30/18:45 between 13-15(mins)
14:00/21:15 between 02-06(mins)

25-01-2010
14:00/21:15 between 08-10 and 13_15(mins)
16:00/23:15 between 03-06(mins)

26-01-2010
09:45/17:00 between 10-12(mins)
10:00/17:15 between 02-05(mins)
15:45/23:00 between 10-12(mins)

Probably more stuff but I only mentioned what seemed obvious.
This is just for information as someone, sorry forgot the person, pointed out he/she was checking “activity” on the N-E stations. As I can’t find any quake reports around that zone I think most of this stuff could be linked to the mining stuff that Shirakawa mentioned, avalanches or other natural elements.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I am not a proponent of this idea....en.wikipedia.org... just remembered the term 'earthquake weather', thought I would look it up and throw it in the mix.

I have an issue with getting this wiki def to go up right.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
(whisper) it's much quieter today....

shhhh.... don't wake her up.

Also, CA has had almost no activity for the past 24 hours... (/whisper)

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
(in a loud and distrubing voice, like the sound Quint the fisherman made when he wanted the attention of the town council)

My prediction was based on the New Moon at apogee. I would make another prediction and state that a swarm will start on Feb 13th. But this swarm is still ongoing. According to the lunar calender, the moon will be full, and at it's closet point to the earth on Jan 30th. Then it will swing around and there will be a new moon at maximum apogee. It's the same lunar extreme that occured on Jan 26, 2008. The start of the Lake Swarm.

www.fourmilab.ch...

I've presented my idea to the YVO. Mr. Cervelli has been very polite and expressed interest. However, he is part of the majority who believe that the gravtational pull has not been shown to create a significant difference in the behaviour of the volcano. Although I may be in the minority in this debate, I am bolstered by the fact that he said many of his collegues disagree with him and think there is merit to the moon be a larger factor than is presently thought. So there's hope for me yet.

When I invited Mr. Cervelli to join our debate he thought I meant it literally. He can't favour a blog or thread because of impartiality. But I bet he knows damn well that this is the best and longest discussion ever to take place in the lobby of the layman and amateur scientist. Astronomy has lots of regular shmucks like us checking out the heavens for things not yet seen. Remember Shoemaker Levy 9. Damn I forgot to ask him why he was curious about Shirakawa's mine blast observations.

Keep your eyes on the moon folks. I don't think the show's over by a long shot. (note, i really hope i'm wrong)

www.youtube.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Does anyone know if there is any rise of volcanic gas in the park? Or any information anywhere pertaining to any volcanic gas at the park? It would be nice if we could access information on this subject. It would be especially nice if it could be accessed at the YVO web site - after all YVO should be just that!

volcano-pictures.info...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
old girl has been quite today....

this is the longest period of inactivity I have seen in a while....

I guess time will tell.

I would like to know (from the siesmologists at the park) how many earthquakes a day does it take to constitute a swarm? How long of a period of inactivity does it take to declare a swarm over...thats the more appropriate question at this time I guess

[edit on 27-1-2010 by RickinVa]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

sigh diddend work.. the old lady is awoken again and stretching her muscels...

<< 515  516  517    519  520  521 >>

join