It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 517
<< 514  515  516    518  519  520 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Yes, I have seen their charts. "Filtered" & Unfiltered.

I imagine if you made the charts - Filtered would show something different. but idk

I did start this out with being out on a limb -

It would be really nice if Peter and/or staff would have such information at "various locations" along with other ideas of earlier in the Park (being YVO should be just that - YVO) along with other pertinant information without having to go through great leaps and bounds and many web sites to obtain such information - the link you and others have given in the past etc. etc. -

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

As I read it the spikes are about 100mm, or spreads of 200mm since the scale is in metres. I don't know how large in terms of surface area this body is but I don't think that the differences are insignificant

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

ROBL240 actually said

It wouldnt be too hard to find out what time the Mining Blasts occured, then look back at the Seismic data and see if they correspond. If not then it rules out that theory.

You said - and i quote "already done" and "enough" but actually you did NOT answer the question at all which was the timing of the blasts and NOT the location. I have emailed the company and am hoping that I will get a response as to whether there was indeed a blast on Sunday at that time.

Whilst I do agree that you are most probably right, your answer was not scientific as we have come to expect from you.

Lecture over lol

[edit on 26/1/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Ah Puterman, you better than anyone should let me mutter alone in the corner sometimes. Unlike the climate debate, I'll be disciplined and drop it.

What may be more interesting to know is if Shirakawa emailed Peter.
I think the YVO would be well served to get his input.

I don't know about the barometeric pressure. And I almost thought that we might be seeing the end of the swarm when we didn't have a moderate double event last night. There's still activity. Maybe tonight will give us a definitive idea of a future trend.

I got another prediction. But I'm still working on it. You can't predict an event that's ongoing. So it will be a matter of correllating timing of events and intensity.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Now a 3.1. It hasn't been reviewed but it looks the goods.

Just when I thought it was quieting down.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Another large one at 3.1.

When does a swarm cease to be a swarm and start being more of an "event"? Seems from reading that "swarms" can last months... what sets this apart from unusual activity?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I would be interested in the answer to this question as well. Also, are the quakes in this swarm not consistently larger than the ones in the swarm last year?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
As I read it the spikes are about 100mm, or spreads of 200mm since the scale is in metres. I don't know how large in terms of surface area this body is but I don't think that the differences are insignificant

Hmm, if you check better I think you will see that the average spike height is much smaller, except in some days. These variations occur anyway on a regular basis, it's hard to think that they would have any effect. The LVO staff are clearly more interested in long term variations or short term noticeable variations not caused by tides and barometric fluctuations.

Originally posted by PuterMan
ROBL240 actually said It wouldnt be too hard to find out what time the Mining Blasts occured, then look back at the Seismic data and see if they correspond. If not then it rules out that theory.

Yes, I eventually figured out that I did read the question wrongly, but in the end I opted to not revise my post as in the next one you posted an image to the company email, so that somebody brave enough could contact them to ask if there were any blasts in that period (but as they're a private company, they don't have any obligation to reply to such questions, I think).

"Enough?" wasn't clear: the meaning was "Do you need more information?", referring to the question I thought to have answered.

Whilst I do agree that you are most probably right, your answer was not scientific as we have come to expect from you.

You're expecting too much from me

Originally posted by Robin Marks
What may be more interesting to know is if Shirakawa emailed Peter.
I think the YVO would be well served to get his input.

Yes, I emailed him. He asked me how did I come into conclusion that those signals were mine blasts. I replied.

Originally posted by Greenize
I would be interested in the answer to this question as well. Also, are the quakes in this swarm not consistently larger than the ones in the swarm last year?

Hmm... no, not consistently larger yet.
But we're close.

[edit on 2010-1-26 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Anyone know of a good free blackberry app that allows you to track earthquakes? I havent found one yet and I dont have a cool Iphone because its a work phone.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Here are my updated charts, based on currently publicly available [still incomplete] earthquake data (418 earthquakes in total):

reply to post by whoshotJR

Personally I don't know, sorry.

[edit on 2010-1-26 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
Anyone know of a good free blackberry app that allows you to track earthquakes? I havent found one yet and I dont have a cool Iphone because its a work phone.

Hey show some Blackberry love!
I do not know of any apps, as I myself have looked, but you can bookmark any RSS feed and keep up with the quakes, as I do. just find the URL to the feed you want and email it to yourself on your blackberry then open it and bookmark it.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Interestingly the latest 2.8 has been reviewed and placed several kilometres south of the swarm. It is only a version 2 so I will be watching to see if it gets placed with the rest of the swarm.

If not then it will be interesting to see if there is a new pressure release point.

Edit: pretty shallow compared to the other as well at 1.6 kms.

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Ape_Man]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think that burst of energy has given us a bit of evidence to suggest a trend. There are definant clusters. Last evening there was a bit of a break, but they've come back to let us know this swarm may be far from over.

Shirakawa, could you make a graph like in figure 3 as has been done in the 1985 swarm.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

I know you've done similiar graphs, but I'm just wondering about cumulative quakes in a bar graph for each day. If you cannot do this because some day are still missing quakes. Maybe you could just plot the 2.5 + quakes. In the figure 3 chart you can see the peak times very easily. I don't know. There just seems to be that quick multiple events and then quiet and repeat. 1985 seemed to have 2 large outbursts with lots of little peaks. Do what you can. I want to check some research that swarm eathquakes in BC had a regular schedule. I want to see if they have a description of the way the quakes behaved. Is there siesographs from the 1985 swarm to be found?

I went outside to shovel some snow and saw our moon. There are three systems of liquids at Yellowstone. The magma chamber. The lake. And the aquifer.

I am so curious about this cluster pattern. If I hadn't just finished a lengthy email to the YVO, I'd bother them again and ask for their opinion.
So if anyone else is curious about an answer, maybe you could be the one to ask what's with these clusters. Whatever their source, they make watching the activity very interesting.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b08cfd67cea2.png[/atsimg]

Still trending upwards over the last 226 earthquakes of Mag 1.0+ to 0200 hrs UTC today.

Sorry you will havr to right click it. Too big again and still have not figured scroll bars.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The last 4 EQs at Yellowstone between 5:41 pm and 6:46 pm local time

Magnitude 2.7

Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 00:41:43 UTC
* Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 05:41:43 PM at epicenter

Location 44.564°N, 110.973°W
Depth 9.1 km (5.7 miles)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances

* 15 km (10 miles) SE (136°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 30 km (19 miles) ENE (76°) from Island Park, ID
* 56 km (35 miles) SSW (201°) from Gardiner, MT
* 430 km (267 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 1 km (0.6 miles)
Parameters NST= 23, Nph= 23, Dmin=11 km, Rmss=0.12 sec, Gp= 83°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source

* University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Event ID uu00001765

Magnitude 3.1

Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 01:28:42 UTC
* Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 06:28:42 PM at epicenter

Location 44.567°N, 110.970°W
Depth 10.9 km (6.8 miles)
Distances

* 15 km (9 miles) SE (135°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 431 km (268 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.8 km (0.5 miles)
Parameters NST= 27, Nph= 27, Dmin=11 km, Rmss=0.14 sec, Gp= 83°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=4
Source

Event ID uu00001768

Magnitude 2.8

Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 01:44:22 UTC
* Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 06:44:22 PM at epicenter

Location 44.505°N, 110.986°W
Depth 1.6 km (~1.0 mile) (poorly constrained)
Distances

* 20 km (12 miles) SSE (152°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 28 km (17 miles) E (89°) from Island Park, ID
* 51 km (32 miles) NNE (31°) from Warm River, ID
* 424 km (263 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth +/- 15.1 km (9.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 14, Nph= 14, Dmin=14 km, Rmss=0.23 sec, Gp= 90°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source

Event ID uu00001772

Magnitude 2.3

Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 01:46:18 UTC
* Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 06:46:18 PM at epicenter

Location 44.564°N, 110.966°W
Depth 9.7 km (6.0 miles)
Distances

* 16 km (10 miles) SE (135°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 430 km (267 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 1.2 km (0.7 miles)
Parameters NST= 24, Nph= 24, Dmin=11 km, Rmss=0.12 sec, Gp= 83°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=4
Source

Event ID uu00001774

[edit on 26-1-2010 by manotick]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52bd165316fe.png[/atsimg]

Magnitude 1.0+ earthquakes daily and cumulative since 13/01/2010 or 01/13/2010 in American lol.

PS does NOT include today (27th). I will update it tonight.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
I think that burst of energy has given us a bit of evidence to suggest a trend. There are definant clusters. Last evening there was a bit of a break, but they've come back to let us know this swarm may be far from over.

Shirakawa, could you make a graph like in figure 3 as has been done in the 1985 swarm.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Unfortunately my spreadsheet doesn't allow to make easily such charts with the data I have if not with painful manual editing. I'll try to work on a solution tomorrow using better tools (Gnuplot+Python).

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Basically it's done - good old Microsoft!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Does it allow to make quickly such charts by picking certain parameters too without affecting the original data and reediting everything manually? For example:

- Only earthquakes >M2.0
- Earthquakes occurred in 6 hours time intervals

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Reasonably quickly as I filter it in the QuakeData program first. I am adding this as a feature in the program shortly and then it will filter exactly as you say. At present however the count is manual because I have not bothered to automate it. but the plotting is a breeze in MS Excel 2007. You can filter magnitude and location in the program.

I will have the filtered option in the program in a day or so.

PS. Signing off! 3 am here

<< 514  515  516    518  519  520 >>

join