It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 520
<< 517  518  519    521  522  523 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
CNN had a segment today about the concern about the New Madrid fault line.
with all the recent activity globally, I am wondering if there isn't a greater knowledge of whats goin on that isn't being said.I understand you guys have a good handle of the info you are reading, let's hope what you are receiving as data is correct.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is weird.

The 3.0 is up to version 2 and still hasn't been reviewed by a seismologist. Can computers re-review events.

Is Skynet taking over...lol

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
have a feeling that the amounds of EQ in the swarm keeps up with the numbers od EQ world wide.....shockwaves in the mantle triggers yellowstone aswell????? that would give an implication that the magma cant be compressed anymoor and is acting as an ram on the top..

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ape_Man

Yes, as time passes and more data from different stations come, probably until the system decides that the earthquake has been located accurately enough.
Then, a human reviews it manually.

By the way, the official earthquake count has just been increased.
From this page

As of January 27, 2010 9:00 AM MST there have been 1,436 located earthquakes in the recent Yellowstone National Park swarm. The swarm began January 17, 2010 around 1:00 PM MST about 10[...]

[edit on 2010-1-27 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

:-) shirakawa thanks for that list... yes on jan 21 were lots of EQ worldwide and also an peek on yellowstone... it matches with all days..

the problem is inside the earth and in yellowstone it found a weaker spot... creating the swarm????

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv

:-) shirakawa thanks for that list... yes on jan 21 were lots of EQ worldwide and also an peek on yellowstone... it matches with all days..

the problem is inside the earth and in yellowstone it found a weaker spot... creating the swarm????

Yeah that is REAL comforting to know.
Yellowstone as the "weak spot".

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

You would be a better judge than I, but the update on swarm seems to be chock full of information. It's almost as if some one listened to us. Good looking map with bar graph. I love bar graphs. The entire seismograph is on one page.

I've read back and there was a time you thought this would be a regular swarm like the half dozen or so since the Lake swarm. I knew all along you were going to get a good workout. 1985 kept popping in my mind, and as the quakes added up, I was confident were watching a historic swarm. This swarm at the moment is on the verge of surpassing last year's swarm in energy and will unquestionably be the second largest swarm on record. That's one of my favorite things about watching the activity. I understand the experts saying their realively common, but this is no common event. Now, will this swarm continue for much longer? Maybe it will last another week and peter out. Doubt it. The moon seems to be too large a factor to suggest, at least to me, that the activity will stop any time soon. We could be witnessing a swarm that may continue for weeks and eventually reach levels seen only during 1985.

Shirakawa, you must be enjoying the history. Did you like my Jaws video? What was special about those mine explosions? How do you think this swarm will end? With a bang or with a whimper? And by bang I mean 3.9 range and then a quick end. Come on. Speculate.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/197f645ca927.png[/atsimg]

Cumulative of ANSS data Mag 0+ at 22:00hrs today.

These values are changing as I collect them. I am entering the same data to collect the values but the returns are different. They are still adjusting as far back as the 17th Jan which has just gone from 80 to 78 quakes.

18th 57 > 64
19th 52 > 51
21st 94 > 91
24th 22> 19

Last entry is 2010/01/27 19:52:16 so there may be more yet

Re the last data from the YVO, they say 1,436 located earthquakes, yet ANSS is only showing 450 since the 15th Jan. Why is that?? A difference of 1000.

BTW I am using delta=44.562,-110.965,0,5 for the ANSS collection

[edit on 27/1/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I use this search data:

* catalog=ANSS
* start_time=2010/01/17,20:00:00
* end_time=2010/02/01,00:00:00
* minimum_latitude=44.5
* maximum_latitude=44.6
* minimum_longitude=-111.1
* maximum_longitude=-110.88
* minimum_magnitude=-2
* maximum_magnitude=6
* minimum_depth=-100
* maximum_depth=100
* event_type=E

Could you try it?
There are a few negative magnitude earthquakes too (insignificant, but they still add to the total count).

By the way, YVO have put a similar bar chart (as Robin Marks noticed) on their swarm page. Have you seen it?

Originally posted by Robin Marks
You would be a better judge than I, but the update on swarm seems to be chock full of information. It's almost as if some one listened to us. Good looking map with bar graph. I love bar graphs. The entire seismograph is on one page.

They've added some more information about changes in surface discharges (hot springs, gas output, etc.). There were none noted, but they also specify that "it is winter and much of the park is covered in snow".

[...]
Shirakawa, you must be enjoying the history. Did you like my Jaws video?

I think I have missed it.

What was special about those mine explosions?

I still don't know, I hope my mail isn't lying somewhere in some spam filter, as it had an image attachment.

How do you think this swarm will end? With a bang or with a whimper? And by bang I mean 3.9 range and then a quick end. Come on. Speculate.

If a M3.9 occurs I don't think seismic activity would end quickly after that.
My opinion basing on current charts is that earthquake frequency will fade out slowly over the next 5-7 days, probably with a few more M2.5-3.0 earthquakes just to gather some more attention, until activity will return back to background status. This is of course just my speculation.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa

How do you think this swarm will end? With a bang or with a whimper? And by bang I mean 3.9 range and then a quick end. Come on. Speculate.

If a M3.9 occurs I don't think seismic activity would end quickly after that.
My opinion basing on current charts is that earthquake frequency will fade out slowly over the next 5-7 days, probably with a few more M2.5-3.0 earthquakes just to gather some more attention, until activity will return back to background status. This is of course just my speculation.

So could we safely assume that this could reach the 1,800-2,000 Earthquake mark?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Thanks for that

There's informations about that in this paper (warning though, it's rather technical):

If it was at all possible to precis the 20 pages of that into one sentance it would be this:

Watch the area east of the resurgent Sour Creek dome because that is the most likely area for the next biggie.

It is going to take several more times reading it to get my head round it fully!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Anything at all to back this up? Anything? I'll take evidence of correlation between worldwide earthquakes and Yellowstone...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Using your parameters I got 464 quakes

17 - 81/81
18 - 67/148
19 - 57/205
20 - 39/244
21 - 97/341
22 - 62/403
23 - 1/404
24 - 19/423
25 - 24/447
26 - 1/448
27 - 17/464

Comparing my data set I had 450 compared to your datasets' 464, but I have just run mine again as well and it is now saying 461 so 11 quakes have been added in the past 1hr and 50 minutes which is the time between my two, and we are only 3 adrift. No negatives in mine.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Yes, I think this is possible.

If you check out the earthquakes per day chart here:
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

You can see that it wouldn't take too much time. At the current earthquake frequency rate, accounting for the declining activity and assuming it will continue to do so, probably 3-4 days.

Originally posted by PuterMan
Comparing my data set I had 450 compared to your datasets' 464, but I have just run mine again as well and it is now saying 461 so 11 quakes have been added in the past 1hr and 50 minutes which is the time between my two, and we are only 3 adrift. No negatives in mine.

That's weird, I have a few of them.
My data is a few hours old though.

[edit on 2010-1-27 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The difference between out two sets is of course that you are examining a square whereas I am examining a circle of 5km radius. I checked it on GE and 5km seemed to cover most of it. I will run another at 7km radius and see what I get.

Ran that: 465 so only 3 different

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pantangele

Pantangele, you want evidence of worldwide earthquakes affecting Yellowstone. Well I don't know about worldwide, but here's proof that a large quake in Alaska changed Yellowstone's geyers. I just cherrypicked one article so you'd have reference to make a search.

geology.gsapubs.org...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ok all...i finally iploaded my pictures from yellowstone, over 3 seperate trips. I have not labeled whats what, just wanted to share this with anyone who hasnt been there. If anyone wants more info on any of them, just ask...using the picture number as reference.

The photos that start with DSC were taken in April 2007, The ones that start with 100- were taken in Sept 2006, and the rest were July 2009 (label is Sep because thats when i dumped them in the computer lol)

Enjoy!!

Yellowstone Pictures

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hooptie333

Fantastic. Thanks for that. It will take some time to look through all that lot!!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
No problem. I will point out, as Robin requested some time ago, that there are noticable differences in the Mammoth Terraces area (northwest corner) between the pictures i took in 2006, and the ones i took last July...some of the areas that were colorful and bubbling were grey and dry this time around.

Oh and dont tell anyone, in the latter pages, i took some shots of Grand Prismatic hot spring in Midway Geyser Basin, the largest in the world i believe, and to get these....i strayed from the path, and climbed the hill behind it to get somewhat of an ariel shot...

Should any of the regular posters on here like to see the full 10.3 mp versions of these, let me know...ill figure something out.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is just a sampler of the graph I can now produce in the QuakeData program

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d36174c863c0.jpg[/atsimg]

Currently it reads ANSS data files only and you can select date and magnitude. Later I will make it read the data in the program itself but that is a bit more complicated as I need to be able to identity a data set.

It should be available tomorrow.

top topics

<< 517  518  519    521  522  523 >>

join