It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC says conspiracy web sites are contributing to mental health issues

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
And ABC is owned by who? The rulers of the world, so stop the worry and start fighting spiritually, because that is what they are doing to humanity. Start thinking positive and stop allowing them to take over your lives, that is all it is, you are giving them permission to take over your lives by giving in, STOP. Go to the woods, go to do free things, they live off our negativity, fight, fight, fight. Not war like, but spiritually, get away from the TV, get away from the games. Go to the woods, nature, like we use to as kids back before they took control of our frequency, take it back!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I had mental health issues well before the internet even began, let alone the appearance of the so-called "conspiracy theory" websites. But I can only speak for the both of me.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

'Tis a bad example unfortunately - the owner and Mod of the forums participated.

I know what your saying though, no need to further reinforce.

I don't think the article is blaming Simon Gray however, instead it would be the community in which supported the delusion/paranoia.

Right...regardless of the medium through which they were traficing. How can you honestly say it is not the same because the mod participated? What if a teacher participates at school? Is school contributing to mental illness then? If not, why the hell not because you are reallllllly stretching this now.

I can keep giving you metaphors and you can keep swatting them away.

What you can not do, is demonstrate how a conspiracy website is any more to blame than any other place people in groups talk.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo
What you can not do, is demonstrate how a conspiracy website is any more to blame than any other place people in groups talk.

If you have a severe learning disorder, and a severe lack of common sense, I can see how believing everything that you read on ATS could be more harmful to one's perception of reality than believing everything that you read on Google News.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

If you have a severe learning disorder, and a severe lack of common sense, I can see how believing everything that you read on ATS could be more harmful to one's perception of reality than believing everything that you read on Google News.

So what, that does not implicate the website. Like I said, what if it was at school? I learned all kinds of crazy at my high school. I was also not the only person thinking of suicide around then. One kid went through with it. Neither one of us had any web experience back then.

So, now you have the exact same setup.

People hearing crazy stuff.

a depressed kid being taunted and encouraged to off himself.

if it happens online it is because of the website but if it happens at school that means I have a learning disorder? LOL. You never cease to entertain the hell out of me.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

The individual receives the information from the website, despite the individual whom posted it. If you had a severe learning disorder you would potentially not understand the internet enough to differentiate between forum posts and a website's updates.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The individual receives the information from the website, despite the individual whom posted it. If you had a severe learning disorder you would potentially not understand the internet enough to differentiate between forum posts and a website's updates.

Replace internet with schoolyard. Now what?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Did the schoolyard have delusional theories posted?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
ABC News should be banned.

They knowingly do stories that only contribute to the Conspiracy World, which are perpetuated, which attract the unstable, who become more unstable.

If ABC hadn't done this story, there wouldn't be 27 page thread on ATS - which according to ABC puts me at risk.

It is ABCs fault. ABC should be banned. ABC knowingly contributed to conspiracies by fielding this story and they put me at risk.

[edit on 19-12-2008 by Dreemer]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreemer

Yes, let's promote internet censorship in order to prevent it.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Damn .. 27 pages? LOL.. I will say this... ABC lives in a glass house and shouldn't throw stones. Nor should it call the kettle black.
Is their content any more or less dangerous than the content here?

Or do I need to pay a couple of psychologists to support these kind of claims?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Which website would be more dangerous to believe every word of if you had a severe learning disability?

AboveTopSecret.com

Or...

ABCNews.com

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

Did I say ABC news? I believe I said ABC no? If I'd meant to say ABC news I would have. Though as long as you brought them up.... how the hell do they still have the nerve to call what comes from them as news?

Wow... this answering a question with another question stuff is fun! Now I see how things get to 27 pages

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Is it just me or does anyone sense a conspiracy against Conspiracy websites?

I think they are conspiring to defame us and more importantly, to discredit us.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreemer

Check the ATS homepage bright eyes - MSNBC is one of the biggest paying sponsors.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

MSNBC is only a client of one of the two ad services that ATS contracts with. They do not buy ad space here – the company that packages their ads with a bunch of other companies' ads does.

What ads you will see is dependent on what info is stored in cookies on your computer.

Not to mention, running ads with your competitor is good solid business practice.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
What ads you will see is dependent on what info is stored in cookies on your computer.

That would be deemed adware, and is also untrue. MSNBC is statically positioned on the homepage regardless of cookies. Go ahead and delete them and return over and over - you'll see it is static.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
From a post by Springer on the thread "Advertisers Following Members to ATS?" There is also a post by SkepticOverlord just after this one that continues an explanation of the sort of cookies in question

There really is no way for them to associate the cookie they loaded on your browser to your account or any personal info you gave them when you made your order. The info you gave them when you bought the item resides on a secure financial transaction server and the cookie was in your browser cache on your computer.

All the cookie did was realize you were on a site that uses the ad network the company advertises on (ATS). These cookies are known as "net work wide", since there are only a handful of major ad networks many thousands of sites use the same one or combination of several.

Deleting your cookies and clearing your cache is all it takes to clear them out.

So while it appears the ad "followed you" it really didn't, all that happened was you logged onto ATS and we use the same advertising network as the site you made your click through/purchase from.

I've seen better SkepticOverlord posts on the topic, but this was the first one that came up in search that addresses the Media Mayhem/cookies issue.

edit: on the topic of the MSNBC ad, it looks like you're right. They still must contract it through Media Mayhem though (all ads are, SO has said in many posts). I never go to the home page

But it doesn't prove that MSNBC supports ATS, just that MSNBC would like people who come to ATS to watch MSNBC instead

[edit on 12/19/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Like ever-so-often the media,in this caseABC,got the topic upsidedown!('
')

A more intelligent approach would have been:

('
') "Mental health issues are contributing to conspiracy websites" ('
')

('
') Concerning alternate ways instead of the internet:

I`ve just recently discovered something called "Usernet",

maybe that could be used as an alternative,

but then again, my knowledge about stuff like that is very,very,very limited...

('
')

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Does this now mean we will soon be eligible for disability insurance for posting on ATS or believing any non MSM news? I sure hope so.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join