ABC says conspiracy web sites are contributing to mental health issues

page: 25
37
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
This is why I support the hypothesis in which they could be further mislead towards an incorrect perception of reality.


This is not what I disagree with at all. It is the idea that conspiracy websites contribute any more than strangers, tv, the radio, owls do. Maybe you missed my point all this time? I agree with what you just said there. I do not at all agree that conspiracy web sites are doing any more harm than say...nothing. I would ask for a fact or case or example, but we all know where that goes with you.

So...is there any reason, aside from the ABC opinion piece and your own opinion that you feel this is true?

Please do not gloat when I do not respond. I am going to bed. I promise to catch up with all the stupid I miss though. No matter who it comes from.

[edit on 18-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]




posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Ats does not make people paranoid or delusional, it's the gnomes... that work for the government and control the cops...

The keep them in the trunk and they really do follow you around, they are telepathic and let the cops know when your high so the only way to fool them is to do more than one drug at once...

hang on.... My toaster is calling me

okay back... Toaster just needed a Tampon

Anyway, I have personally no connection to mental illness from Ats, I get up, watch for contrails for a while then de flouridate my toothpaste which takes like 6 hrs but saves 1.75 then chat a bit and I don't work either because the gnomes would have to many opportunities to get into my head

The noises in mt head I think are from when I had a bit of a smack down with Santa because he was feeling up my mom...he hit me really hard and I have always kind of heard the sounds since then

Mostly they tell me to go find my dog who's been dead a while but I think it's a call for a spiritual communication

ooo

Hang on again

Sorry that was the Shower, it wanted the water back on

Anyway i never liked my dog much because he told me to do bad thing so I don't much want to find him anyway because once... he told me to stick a fire cracker in my but and that sent me to the doctor

But I don't see why people would think ATS members would be paranoid or delusional...

It's just, when people are really out to get you, you need to take precautions, like 12 deadbolts and Arsenic in case they get through the door and all

and yeah... digging a Bomb shelter is important... I'm 180 feet down right now but don't think it's quite far enough

But it's not Paranoid, Nuclear Missiles and Xray Glasses are real and you have to go pretty deep to get away from them..particularly the xray glasses

There is a part of my wall

hang on again....

damn appliances...

This time the stove was running it's mouth so I disconnected it's gas line, lets see how it likes that!

Anyway...

My wall... the cracks arrange into this face and I think there is a portal to the federation of light in there but it's guarded by a Reptilian so I have to be very careful not to fall in

Anyway my head is tingly

and my hands are sweaty

anyway

My head is tingly

anyway

my hands are sweaty

I need a smoke...

I'll go light it by the stove









posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl

Upon searching for the explanation of seeing the White Owl, he was informed that it meant his death. "Then over time, the delusions become crystallized -- meaning they take on particular narratives, story lines and people's motives begin to be fleshed out," said MacDonald. The delusion that this White Owl was representative of death eventually took on the narrative of his grandfather and grandmother - whom originally told him this was representative of death. The individual who posted first in this forum jokingly referred to suicide. He did indeed commit suicide after murdering his grandparents, an unarmed security guard, a teacher, and 5 students.


Bold mine:

It sounds like he already had it figured out in his head before he started posting places. These ideas weren't suggested, he had made them real before coming here.




Was this proof of a delusional mindset supported by ATS?


No, this was delusion (or something going wrong in the thinking) but it doesn't prove ATS supported the mindset, after all this is user content, ATS merely offers the medium to support that.


I think this is proof of disregard for the sincerity of an individual seeking real answers to explain his real mental illness. He was told, "Well you did try to commit suicide as I read it. Sounds like you're pretty much screwed
"


I can't imagine this being the entire content of the thread, I know the members of this community well enough that they are generally supportive of a real crisis with another member..


It reminds me way too much of the individual who killed himself streaming it over his live web cam.


This statement reminds me of an attempt to draw an completely unrelated occurance and attach it to this case in order to add another level of shock and awe.


He was fueled by those who watched on in suspense, egging him on to do it. I believe this is a similar scenario. Not that anyone is to blame, but this individual came here seeking answers for his delusions. Instead, he was blatantly mocked for his past suicide attempt.


It is not a similar scenario, people dont do that here. If there is an onslaught of smart arses in such a sensitive situation I am sure there are caring individuals to provide balance, that is what I see whenever a member or anon poster has come here in need. As much as a skeptic slap you down crowd there is a nurturing core.


There is without a doubt a connection between deranged individuals such as Jeff Weise and ATS as the delusional come here to seek an explanation for their unexplainable mental illness.


Look at the odds as to how many people come here and the occurances of this particular guy with problems came and made a few posts, did an awful thing and now all the sudden the site is to blame, or the idea that he frequents *conspiracy sites" LOL



I doubt this is the only example of a deranged [mentally ill] individual seeking guidance for his unknown feelings, emotions, and paranoia from conspiracy theory websites..


I wouldn't really expect a person as you described above to go looking to a conspiracy website, and by the way, there are many more forums here besides conspiracy.....................to *seek guidance* at a place where people are just people exploring a wide variety of things. I don't think that we have ever claimed a way to find sanity for the lost and desperate.

On the other hand, many times a person could find a comfort in the community if he was here to attempt to ground himself, but that doesn't seem to be the reality.


[edit on 18-12-2008 by interestedalways]



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

Originally posted by Yoda411
This is why I support the hypothesis in which they could be further mislead towards an incorrect perception of reality.


This is not what I disagree with at all. It is the idea that conspiracy websites contribute any more than strangers, tv, the radio, owls do. Maybe you missed my point all this time? I agree with what you just said there. I do not at all agree that conspiracy web sites are doing any more harm than say...nothing. I would ask for a fact or case or example, but we all know where that goes with you.

So...is there any reason, aside from the ABC opinion piece and your own opinion that you feel this is true?

Please do not gloat when I do not respond. I am going to bed. I promise to catch up with all the stupid I miss though. No matter who it comes from.


Would just like to add a few comments here...

I raise questions not to merely promote my own belief and opinion but to hopefully [and eventually] receive factual evidence in which supports one side of the argument or the other to benefit the knowledge of us all.

The reason I raise such questions about ATS being a more prominent contributor to delusions is because of the followers of the theory that the world is ruled by lizard people and similar unfounded theories. When completely unfounded they may as well be deemed as delusional as us believing dogs rule the world and posting pictures of supposed tails in George Bush's rear end.

Such theories would never be presented as facts in the mainstream.

P.S. Totally butchered some skin nearly off of my finger this evening so I won't be on here typing for a while. Once again thanks for this crazy intense discussion for all involved. I think in the end we all stand primarily for the same cause; to promote freedom of speech. That is one thing we can all agree upon, especially here on ATS. Be back later ATS.

[edit on 12/18/08 by Yoda411]



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways
 


I recommend you go and look at the "White Owl" thread if you are interested.

The unfortunate young man was told by one poster, who almost immediately recanted and apologized, that he was "screwed" since he had already tried to kill himself.

He wrote that he had been considered a risk by school officials – thus giving the impression to readers that the situation was known about by people actually in a position to do something about it, rather than reading about it anonymously on a board.

He was told that white owls might have some symbolic link with death, either his own or his grandparents', or more metaphorical.

He was offered support and caring, and a place to tell his story and be listened to.

It was despite the reaction to that thread at ATS that the tragedy occurred, not because of it, in my opinion.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Ats does not make people paranoid or delusional, it's the gnomes... that work for the government and control the cops...

The keep them in the trunk and they really do follow you around, they are telepathic and let the cops know when your high so the only way to fool them is to do more than one drug at once...

hang on.... My toaster is calling me

okay back... Toaster just needed a Tampon

Anyway, I have personally no connection to mental illness from Ats, I get up, watch for contrails for a while then de flouridate my toothpaste which takes like 6 hrs but saves 1.75 then chat a bit and I don't work either because the gnomes would have to many opportunities to get into my head

The noises in mt head I think are from when I had a bit of a smack down with Santa because he was feeling up my mom...he hit me really hard and I have always kind of heard the sounds since then

Mostly they tell me to go find my dog who's been dead a while but I think it's a call for a spiritual communication

ooo

Hang on again

Sorry that was the Shower, it wanted the water back on

Anyway i never liked my dog much because he told me to do bad thing so I don't much want to find him anyway because once... he told me to stick a fire cracker in my but and that sent me to the doctor

But I don't see why people would think ATS members would be paranoid or delusional...

It's just, when people are really out to get you, you need to take precautions, like 12 deadbolts and Arsenic in case they get through the door and all

and yeah... digging a Bomb shelter is important... I'm 180 feet down right now but don't think it's quite far enough

But it's not Paranoid, Nuclear Missiles and Xray Glasses are real and you have to go pretty deep to get away from them..particularly the xray glasses

There is a part of my wall

hang on again....

damn appliances...

This time the stove was running it's mouth so I disconnected it's gas line, lets see how it likes that!

Anyway...

My wall... the cracks arrange into this face and I think there is a portal to the federation of light in there but it's guarded by a Reptilian so I have to be very careful not to fall in

Anyway my head is tingly

and my hands are sweaty

anyway

My head is tingly

anyway

my hands are sweaty

I need a smoke...

I'll go light it by the stove








Mopus oh my freakin can off worms your not joking i tried to go pour water over my toaster after what you just said to kill the ba**d and as i was buzzing the reptillian made itself known to me and said its over biyatch and i survived and said nooooooooooooo its not over yet punk.

Ok i think i killed the thread lol. Mopus please spare a thought for all off us on here we take you seriously because your mopus man so cool.


*coughs* now that i have been cured i think you are suffering from hyperdefiesia its caused by classical symptoms off the times you were crawling as baby you bumped a few things along the way and we will need to getyou started on 400mg off eatmysh** and you will soon be feeling better in no time.


[edit on 18-12-2008 by meadowfairy]



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat
 


I don't blame ATS for his shootings either. It just makes a link between the mentally ill and ATS. It only further raises the point, which was indeed mentioned in the article, this subject needs to be studied more thoroughly by mental health professionals.

Edit: Another interesting read is Truman Show Syndrome and ATS paranoia

Edit #2: Superglue saved my butchered typing finger
.

[edit on 12/18/08 by Yoda411]



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Wow amazing how i just made a word up and out of curiosity the dictionary doesnt let you down lol:

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Almost the same lol but its about blood pressure hyper tension called hyperpiesia. Wow amazing how medical words pop up in your head and we can make up diseases lol.

I wonder hwo they thought off that one hyper pie sia so cool.

Hyper eats too much pie cya later heart attack! No wait piesia is just latin for tension.


Ooh calm down meadow your getting all freeeaaakkky. Tries to stop talking to myself


[edit on 18-12-2008 by meadowfairy]



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
I don't blame ATS for his shootings either. It just makes a link between the mentally ill and ATS. It only further raises the point, which was indeed mentioned in the article, this subject needs to be studied more thoroughly by mental health professionals.

Edit: Another interesting read is Truman Show Syndrome and ATS paranoia

Edit #2: Superglue saved my butchered typing finger
.

[edit on 12/18/08 by Yoda411]


I agree that the subject needs further study, I just think we should keep an eye on the researchers, and especially on how it gets translated and represented in the popular press.

I also liked the Truman Show Syndrome thread (unfortunately the article seems to be no longer available - I wish I had saved it).

That was one of the first things that got me interested in this topic. A very similar article also appeared in the NYTimes Style section over the summer. I definitely think that the internet, and internet conspiracy sites, are a new and growing factor in shaping public perceptions.

What I'm watching is how academia and mainstream media are reacting to that growth



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Correct me if im wrong and have a few screws loose but now they are attacking youtube aswell as ATS well i oughta show them where they cannot let free speech happen.

Everybody was kung fu fightring yahhh they was fast as light huh it was a little bit frightening woah those dudes were extra lightening huuuuhhaaa.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yes we should be planning other ways to communicate because soon
the web will be locked down and censored.

The web will not be useful to us for the changes that are coming.

Do not do any commerce on the web.

Do not sign up for any electronic fund transfers

Just say no to the electronic prison being built for the masses.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by meadowfairy
 


Neuroleptics and anti-depressants are in no way the same thing. In fact they pretty much have exact opposite functions. Neuroleptics are used to decrease dopamine while tricyclics are used to raise dopamine. Of course you have the SSRIs and SSNRIs, which help in raising serotonin levels, but even modern neuroletpics work on lowering serotonin levels. This is why abusing amphetamines for an extended period of time can lead to schizophrenic like symptoms and why taking neuroleptics can lead to Parkinson like symptoms.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I would have to say places like ABC and mainstream media outlets are to blame for the mess we have today..
The governments masters couldnt do this without them.

They pull the strings.. And they own the MS!

Here take a look.. Even using the mainstream media own content can we catch these guys in lie afer lie..



They take this video down often.. So watch it while you can..

They dont want you to connect the dots.. No they would rather you go out and pretend nothing is wrong with the world we live in.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

It reminds me way too much of the individual who killed himself streaming it over his live web cam.


This statement reminds me of an attempt to draw an completely unrelated occurance and attach it to this case in order to add another level of shock and awe.


Could it be said that the online users fueled that individual's mental health issue?

I do see it being related, and draws the study much broader to the effects of the Internet on mentally ill individuals.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I find it interesting that his grandparents were the ones who told him about the connection between white owls and death. I still don't believe ATS, in any way, contributed to this already existing situation with this person. Maybe it was a cry for help that fell on deaf ears, anyone ever thought of that?

I still say it's a reach to attach ATS to things like this. If someone is already spiraling out of control, it wouldn't matter one single bit as to what he was exposed to after that as far as that person finally falling off the table unless it was professional help to get him back on the right track. I don't understand why it's so easily overlooked that this person was seemingly already damaged beyond control before he got to this site and it was his grandparents that told him the white owl meant death. Having said that, his grandparents contributed more to this than anything on the internet did.

No connection. It's about as much of a reach as the ABC article is. Great discussion though!

I was going to tell my story and opinion concerning prescription drugs, but it was long and off topic. I do think prescription drugs pose more health threats than benefits for most people especially when they are started on them at a young age.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Funny, the professional I see has concluded my mental health issues were a direct result of military/government service.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411

Originally posted by interestedalways

It reminds me way too much of the individual who killed himself streaming it over his live web cam.


This statement reminds me of an attempt to draw an completely unrelated occurance and attach it to this case in order to add another level of shock and awe.


Could it be said that the online users fueled that individual's mental health issue?

I do see it being related, and draws the study much broader to the effects of the Internet on mentally ill individuals.


I didn't read much into that story, nor did I watch his live stream video. It is not the responsiblility of people in cyber space to deal with mental illness, nor is the blame on the internet, yet if any blame were to be saught in that case I think it would be the people who "egged him on" if this is what they did, not the internet itself.



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I didn't read much into that story, nor did I watch his live stream video. It is not the responsiblility of people in cyber space to deal with mental illness, nor is the blame on the internet, yet if any blame were to be saught in that case I think it would be the people who "egged him on" if this is what they did, not the internet itself.


Do you think they would have egged him on if not for the anonymity of the Internet?



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411

Originally posted by interestedalways
I didn't read much into that story, nor did I watch his live stream video. It is not the responsiblility of people in cyber space to deal with mental illness, nor is the blame on the internet, yet if any blame were to be saught in that case I think it would be the people who "egged him on" if this is what they did, not the internet itself.


Do you think they would have egged him on if not for the anonymity of the Internet?


So are you now saying that the internet isn't at fault but the anonymity of the internet?

I stand by my earlier statement that the people who egged him on are responsible for their actions, not the internet or the fact that it is anonymous. You can't blame a non entity such as anonymity for the actions of people who choose to do something that is stupid.

I don't agree with blaming a medium for a persons free will choices.

Use this example, a man gets laid off, is deeply in debt and he goes home and kills his family and himself because of his hopelessness.

Was it the employers fault???



posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Was it the employers fault???


Of course the employer is not at fault. Did the employer contribute to his actions?





new topics




 
37
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

log in

join