It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth�s Horrifying Fate!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jade Falcon
I know where you are going with this, look at this way.
Think of the "super massive black hole" as a pea. And the center of the galaxy as one mile in diamter. Then, the spiral arms would reach about 15 miles. Since most of the mass is in that square mile, a black hole could theoretically swallow that given billions and billions of years. However, it will be insanely difficult for it to continue to propegate because those 15 miles are very sparse. Besides that fact, our angular momentum counteracts the force of it's gravity. Just like the earth's momentum counteracts the suns gravity. Now, if the sun grew 100 miles in size, we will still be spinning fast enough to escape it's pull.

Or think of it this way, F = G * M1*M2/ r^2.

Two balls atract each other. Let's say they are 1 mile apart, and there force is 1 , if the distance is doubled to two miles, then it's force would decrease by one forth, to .25, if it doubles again, it would decrease again by one fourth, and so forth. ...

I think that you are seeing the galaxy as closely spaced, though it is actually mostly empty. When the Andromena galaxy collides with us, it will be like a ghost passing through. though there is still a small chance that it could affect us.

If the Black Hole at the center wasn�t pulling all the material in the galaxy towards its singularity like a conveyer belt and was only pulling the material with a limited reach of its gravity not and not affecting the entire galaxy, galaxies would look like this photo I altered.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

When the Andromena galaxy collides with us, it will be like a ghost passing through. though there is still a small chance that it could affect us.

Look at the devastation of a real life collision of two galaxies.

The photographs Hubble relayed back to Earth may tell scientists how a collision between our own galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy, expected in several billion years, could alter the two systems.
The pictures also provide further support for a scientific theory that if one disk-shaped, or spiral, galaxy collides into another, the result is an elliptical galaxy with far more stars than either of the original galaxies contained, including many star clusters.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

When the Andromena galaxy collides with us, it will be like a ghost passing through. though there is still a small chance that it could affect us.

Look at the devastation of a real life collision of two galaxies.

The photographs Hubble relayed back to Earth may tell scientists how a collision between our own galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy, expected in several billion years, could alter the two systems.
The pictures also provide further support for a scientific theory that if one disk-shaped, or spiral, galaxy collides into another, the result is an elliptical galaxy with far more stars than either of the original galaxies contained, including many star clusters.

www.cnn.com...

I don't think you understand, when I say "passing like a ghost" I mean that we would not collide with those stars passing through, although there is a slim chance. Get the picture?
And this "devestating" collision takes place over hundreds of millions of years. Get the picture?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I know where you are going with this, look at this way.
Think of the "super massive black hole" as a pea. And the center of the galaxy as one mile in diamter. Then, the spiral arms would reach about 15 miles. Since most of the mass is in that square mile, a black hole could theoretically swallow that given billions and billions of years. However, it will be insanely difficult for it to continue to propegate because those 15 miles are very sparse. Besides that fact, our angular momentum counteracts the force of it's gravity. Just like the earth's momentum counteracts the suns gravity. Now, if the sun grew 100 miles in size, we will still be spinning fast enough to escape it's pull.

Or think of it this way, F = G * M1*M2/ r^2.

Two balls atract each other. Let's say they are 1 mile apart, and there force is 1 , if the distance is doubled to two miles, then it's force would decrease by one forth, to .25, if it doubles again, it would decrease again by one fourth, and so forth. ...

I think that you are seeing the galaxy as closely spaced, though it is actually mostly empty. When the Andromena galaxy collides with us, it will be like a ghost passing through. though there is still a small chance that it could affect us.

If the Black Hole at the center wasn�t pulling all the material in the galaxy towards its singularity like a conveyer belt and was only pulling the material with a limited reach of its gravity not and not affecting the entire galaxy, galaxies would look like this photo I altered.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by kinglizard]

That is rediculous, I just told you that the black hole is affecting EVERYTHING, however tje effect is inversly proportional to the square of the distance. In effect it's force would be like a fly flying into a truck over ice. That little fly asserts a force, and moves the truck. But it is so small it is insignificant. Now, given billions of flies of years you will notice that the truck is starting to gain velocity. If you do not understand, I recommend you take a physics class.

Also, we are attracting the black hole with the same amount of force that black hole exerts on us.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ranger
Of course that's if we don't destroy the Earth ourselves first.

By the way things are looking now, us humans will have destroyed ourselves within the next 200 years

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i dont see it as horrifying ...i think its beautiful...it may be by that time all are one with the inexorable divine infinite consciousness and will not need to have there small fleshly bodies succumb to destruction of the material universe...i think it will happen long before that ....then bang another universe which lasts as long as single breath of the divine infinite

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This event will take place in billions of years. Humanity will already be extinct or have left the galaxy. Also there is an excellent speicel on this on the discovery channel.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While this is indeed true the ghosting effect you talk about is what will happen at first but as they ghost through each other there black holes at the center of each galaxy will not let each other go they will spiral in ever tighter circles untill they consume each other the choas that follows such a action is hard to think it would not effect us as whole solar systems will crash into each other while some will be thrown out in to other orbits as others will be knocked into the blackholes themselves

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
quote:

While this is indeed true the ghosting effect you talk about is what will happen at first but as they ghost through each other there black holes at the center of each galaxy will not let each other go they will spiral in ever tighter circles untill they consume each other the choas that follows such a action is hard to think it would not effect us as whole solar systems will crash into each other while some will be thrown out in to other orbits as others will be knocked into the blackholes themselves

Yes I agree, that does give you something to think about. Most likely, we have a higher chance of being thrown out of the galaxy then colliding with another star.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I�m not an astrophysics but the people at NASA are. They say the science is good. Who are we to question that?

"Their analysis shows that it works, but I don't think we'd want to do it this way," says astronomer Jack Lissauer of NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

As long as they are all using either metrics or US figures....

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
using earth as a space ship would only freeze us because we wouldn't have our sun. The best thing to do is find another planet that is like our own.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Maybe find a way to keep the sun alive?

Or probably find ourselves another planet.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
ITS NOT JUST THE EARTH THAT IS DOOMED ALL PHYSICAL MATTER IS DOOMED. THE EVENTUAL END OF ALL THINGS WILL COME AS THE UNIVERSE CONTINUES TO EXPAND AND AS ALL ATOMS SIMPLY WEAR OUT THEN THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT OF THE EARTH THE STARS AND ALL MATTER IN THE PHYSICAL UNIVERSE. NO MORE BLACK HOLES, NO MORE QUASARS, NO MORE OF ANYTHING KNOWN AS MATTER IN THIS PHYSICAL UNIVERSE. BUT FEAR NOT BECAUSE THERE ARE OTHER UNIVERSES WITH TOTALY DIFFERENT LAWS OF PHYSICS. IF HUMANS FOUND A WAY TO GO ELSEWHERE THEY WOULD STILL BE DOOMED AS THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE IS DOOMED. SO GOES THE PHYSICAL WORLD.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I watched a show on this a few months ago and scientists are believing that the black hole at the center of our galaxy is not actually "eating" right now. Something about it being dormant, like a volcano. That doesn't mean it couldn't wake up and eat again at any moment though.

Wish I could remember the name of the show though. I know it was on Discovery Channel.

VV

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Is it possible that the earth could be in a black hole right now and we don't know it? The whole universe could be within another alternate universe and we just dont know it.

So I think we're safe.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
A black hole isn't anything special from a distance. It's a mass. The fact that all the mass happens to reside in a singularity doesn't matter at great distances. It's like any other body of similar mass. We're not falling into the super massive black hole at the center of the milky way any more than the moon is falling into the earth. The galaxy orbits the black hole.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I don�t know how long it would take but maybe we could use the Earth as a space ship by taking it out of orbit and sending it out of this galaxy.

Dr. Michio Kaku proposed that this would be a possbility with a type two civilization.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by West Coast]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join