It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth�s Horrifying Fate!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

i think for the survival of mankind it would be better to leave the earth behind and go out in a mass exodus of starships.

In one of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker Trilogy books (I forget which), the government of this one planet came up with a story like this, and loaded everyone into three massive starships... one of them held all the people that weren't really necessary, and were causing all of the planet's overpopulation problems; that shuttle was the first to lift off.

The others never left; everyone just disembarked once the undesirables were gone, and went about their business.

I like this idea a lot

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenographer

i think for the survival of mankind it would be better to leave the earth behind and go out in a mass exodus of starships.

In one of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker Trilogy books (I forget which), the government of this one planet came up with a story like this, and loaded everyone into three massive starships... one of them held all the people that weren't really necessary, and were causing all of the planet's overpopulation problems; that shuttle was the first to lift off.

The others never left; everyone just disembarked once the undesirables were gone, and went about their business.

I like this idea a lot

Excellent idea. We can get rid of the politicians and the useless PC bastards and then have some fun.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
As the black hole increases in mass 3 things could happen.

1) Nothing, our orbit changes but remains stable.

2) Our orbit shifts to a collision course.

3) Our orbit eventualy pushes us to escape velocity and the solar system gets flung out of the galaxy.

For a gradual increase in the center of mass, number 3 is the most likely after a long period of number 1 where the orbit shifts and remains stable.

Black holes have massive amount of mass and huge gravitational fields. However gravity isn't just "sucking in" in a linear direction. If that were the case there would be no starts, no gasses, no moons, no planets, just one giant black whole that takes up the entire universe (yes i'm ignoreing space-time expansion). THe sun is in ORBIT of the galatic center and if it lasted forever (which it actualy will in one for or another) it would not fall into the black hole.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
with the size of the blackhole and stars going into it can be comparable to comets and other debris hitting the sun. how much of a difference does it make? not much...

The material going into a black hole is the thing that makes it grow. It grows by feeding. The density of the singularity is the thing that warps space, if the singularity becomes more dense by it�s consumption of gases or other material the gravity will increase and warp the fabric of space a little more, creating a deeper funnel.

How Do Massive Black Holes Grow?
Black holes up to about 50 times the mass of our Sun can be formed by normal processes in very massive stars. This can happen throughout galaxies wherever stars have formed recently. One way to grow a more massive black hole is for a seed black hole in a dense galactic nucleus to swallow up gas and normal stars. Under the right conditions, a thousand solar mass black hole can grow to millions or billions of times the mass of the Sun in a fraction of the lifetime of the Universe.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Xenographer... those are awesome books. i wish i had enough money to buy the hardbound collection of them...

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   

In June 2000, astronomers made an extraordinary discovery. One that promises to solve one of the biggest problems in cosmology - how and why galaxies are created. Incredibly, the answer involves the most weird, destructive and terrifying objects in the Universe - supermassive black holes. Scientists are beginning to believe that these forces of pure destruction actually help trigger the birth of galaxies and therefore are at the heart of the creation of stars, planets and all life.

Supermassive black holes are so extraordinary that until recently, many people doubted that they existed at all. The idea of giant black holes the size of the Solar System seemed more like science fiction that reality - such monsters would be so powerful that they could destroy the very fabric of the Universe. But in the last five years a series of discoveries has changed our understanding of supermassive black holes and galaxies forever.

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.bbc.co.uk...

NARRATOR (JOHN SHRAPNEL): Earlier this year two astronomers made an extraordinary discovery, one that is set to overturn our understanding of how the Universe formed.

PROF. KARL GEBHARDT (Nuker Team): We're never going to see a time like this in astronomy again.

PROF. LAURA FERRARESE (Rutgers University): Really the air is filled with new discoveries and new ideas.

NARRATOR: What they discovered was a very simple relationship, a relationship between the galaxy we live in and the most destructive force in the Universe. A supermassive black hole. It set the world of cosmology alight.
amazing-space.stsci.edu...
www.stsci.edu...

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Found an article:
By Dan Vergan, USA TODAY

Sun too close? We'll just change Earth's orbit

Anyone worried about the sun frying Earth sometime in the next billion years can rest easy: Astronomers have devised a way to move our planet to a safer orbit.

In a paper accepted by the journal Astrophysics and Space Science, planetary scientist Don Korycansky of the University of California-Santa Cruz and colleagues detail a plan to remove Earth from its current orbit to a cooler one using "gravitational slingshot" tugs provided by massive asteroids or comets redirected to pass nearby.

"Their analysis shows that it works, but I don't think we'd want to do it this way," says astronomer Jack Lissauer of NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Maybe we had better start learning to speak HeeChee

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by ShadowSephiroth
When will this black hole get serious?

Probably not for Billions of years. But it's inevitable.

so there really is no "we" factor in this, us and the human species will long be gone.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtsmth
so there really is no "we" factor in this, us and the human species will long be gone.

Where do you think will we be?

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
4.5 billion years to get sucked into a black hole at the centre of our galaxy....

6 billion years for our sun to run out of gas.....

2 billion years until the milky way collides with another galaxy....

??? years until the world has a nuclear war so bad that radiation gets blown around the Earth with the winds and kill every living creature through radiation overdose.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Where do you think will we be?

same place we were two billion years ago, drinking margaritas with god or nowhere.

also i agree with DaRAGE.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If you Google up Wandering Black Hole
you'll see the Sagittarius A, at the Galactic Center,
is not the only black hole in the Milky Way Galaxy

the BBC has a bunch of articles on B-H's
in one, it is suggested that yes, stars do get
eaten up/ stripped of gasses & such...BUT,
that the heavier elements that remain of the
cannibilised? star, are 'flung' away from the
B-H, like someone mentioned earlier [orbit speed up]

being as earth is 2/3 out on the outer reaches of 1 arm
of the Galaxy...and novas disperse materials for new
stars to form and evolve...there is a constant conveyor
belt of new materials between the Sagittarius A and our
solar neighborhood, which because of its relative
location on one sprial arm--> should Never 'funnel' into
the grasp of an even larger B-H at some distant future

One should Worry about the 'products' of a B-H->
noteably the gamma ray , X-ray, and exotic subatomic
quantum mesons etc which stream out from the B-H,
at it's 2 polar vortices [see the 1st pic representation at
beginning of thread]
Scientists theorize that the stream of emmissions at
the Galactic Center B-H is not streaming out at 90`
from the Galactic plane of rotation...but incredibly at a
12.5` angle...which could make it possible that the
earth/solar would pass thru this energetic beam of
intense energies during the course of each Galactic
Rotation. [connection to mass extinctions? and the
cambrian life explosion of new life forms here on earth?]

blending some esorteric thoughts, 2,000 years ago,
some exceptional men were inspired to write about
a structure called the 'Bottomless Pit'...could that
Abyss be the Black-Hole? of today?

, sorry i deleted my gifs/jpgs of galaxy & such, just recently... who wooda thunk the B-H phenom would
resurface

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Maybe we could follow the homeworld storyline n build a super large spacecraft to travel thru the universe in search of new planets to colonize

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   

The thing is it may take a billion years to get the Earth out of this Galaxy so we should start thinking about this now. As the black hole consumes the stars around it I would assume it would become larger and produce more gravity, thereby speeding up its rate of consumption. So the conveyer belt would speed up with time until it had consumed everything in our Galaxy.

If we move the Earth though it will be farther away from the sun. We cant have that. We are only able to survive at the distance the sun is away from us now. If we move the Earth any further we would die because the temperature would be too low.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The timeline for this makes the "we" part pointless. In millions of years, not even worrying about billions, humans will either be extinct or have evolved to something we would not identify as humans. If we start moving to other planets as well we will diverge and even become many different species.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This thread doesn't make any sense at all. I'm surprised to see that it took so long, for someone to mention that there will not be no "us" around. Homo Sapiens sapiens exist only about 120000 years. Our civilisation (according to anthropologists) is only about 8000-10000 years old.

The Earth is 4.6 billion years old. We're just a breath of air of an eye in the timeline of the Earth. In the Universes timeline we're just a blink of an eye, or even less.

Do you think that there's any use in moving the earth of it's orbit 4 billion years from now seeing that, in agreement with what Quest said, that we will be long extinct as a human species or that we will evolve into something so totally different that you might not even characterize "our descendants" as a vertebrate, (just taking a wild guess people, it's 3-4 billion years!!!) or even as an animal.

Do you remember the specific fly you swatted when you were five years old? We're that insignificant when it comes to the timeline of the planet.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
What�s the point? It surprises me that in a community of such open minded people you can be so close minded. The science has been proved and reviewed by NASA. We can move this planet out of its orbit with the use of asteroids. At the center of this galaxy lays a supermassive black hole and it will consume this galaxy. People are saying �humans won�t be here� or �we will have evolved into something non human�. Do I know if humans will be around in a billion years? No. Do I think it�s important to ponder these types of questions? Yes. It�s at the very heart of being human; it�s the thing that allows us to survive. It�s the thing that separates the human animal from the monkeys. If the human �species� had to leave this planet because of impending doom it wouldn�t be enough. If we moved this planet out of its orbit to escape the suns demise, it wouldn�t be enough. If we were to populate this galaxy to escape the destruction of the Earth, it wouldn�t be enough. We will need to escape from this galaxy, because it to has a life span. Humans are here now and I�m going to assume humans will be around in the future, not just 100 years but as long as I can imagine. It�s wise for others to do the same.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

The thing is it may take a billion years to get the Earth out of this Galaxy so we should start thinking about this now. As the black hole consumes the stars around it I would assume it would become larger and produce more gravity, thereby speeding up its rate of consumption. So the conveyer belt would speed up with time until it had consumed everything in our Galaxy.

And this here is one of humanities biggest problems. Arrogant meddling. Instead of trying to live in accord with the things around us we are constantly trying to control and conform things to our liking.

We are but a blink in time. One way or another, we're going away. The only reason we are still around is because nature just hasn't decided to off us yet.

For anyone or anything alive to surf this blackholes galatic wave will have one hell of a show though...

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
And this here is one of humanities biggest problems. Arrogant meddling. Instead of trying to live in accord with the things around us we are constantly trying to control and conform things to our liking.

No this is one of mans biggest triumphs. If the history of humanity thought like you we would be poking sticks into termite mounds to get nourishment. Our �arrogant Meddling� gave us control of fire, farming practices, livestock and tools to name a few. Our �arrogant Meddling� is the thing that separates us from every other living thing on this planet.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join