It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 514
<< 511  512  513    515  516  517 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So now I got it, the big news that something was going to happen by the end of the week was the big boost on Gold, thanks to China

So I guess this was good for somebody.

That's what web bot predicted

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

It is cyclical so if you plot a circle with time stretched along the abscissa it becomes a wave function. Some of these price waves tend to travel either in phase or out of phase with each other. Oil had been moving in phase with stock markets till recently.

This is interesting. When you translate cyclical movement into linear, you get sinusoid. Now, the question is how much data you pack into one interval and also which time measure you take for an interval. Normally, it should be one day, and one hour, but what if those who manipulate markets use a different, non-natural measure. Maybe you guys should check this out, because all analysis and prediction may depend on it.

The time measure GS uses?

Is actual very interesting what you say.

A friend of mine thought he had cracked the dollar/euro by using 2-hour candlesticks. It did in fact amaze me to no end for a while. Then it did end. After that he started looking at 4-hour and 8-hour.

The 2-hour thing he had worked out would make money like magic until it eventually flip-flopped. It literally would switch at some random point and start giving signals that would lose with precision. The system would use 2-hour candlesticks to win for weeks and weeks, and then it would lose for weeks and weeks, with incredible precision. I tried to understand how it did this and if I could predict when the flip-flop would occur. Nothing. It was a really odd experience. It was so very good at predicting and making money until it became so very good at predicting and losing money. We couldn't ever figure out how to predict when it would go bad. We used to laugh about how somebody could make money by doing exactly the opposite of what we were doing.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

We couldn't ever figure out how to predict when it would go bad. We used to laugh about how somebody could make money by doing exactly the opposite of what we were doing.

Yes. Timing is everything. The "Clock master" rules.

They are using time unit as a "variable" unit in their equations. That is the big secret, if we assume that markets are controlled, and that is not far from the truth.

All they need to do is change the "password" regularly, and I wouldn't think exclusively "round numbers".

[edit on 6-9-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

The guys working the delta desks in Chicago are essentially running derivative spreads that they can always win because they get faster fills than their low frequency customers.

Working the night shift with 100's of young naked Asian women waiting in line to ride your legs can be a real challenge! The girls aren't there to ride some painted wooden carousel pony.

Those delta desk guys have to keep their thighs pumping in a rhythm that will keep both their long leg and short leg girls satisfied. It sounds like the Chinese oil derivatives got out of balance which left them with only long leg positions? Doesn't quite make sense since we still have the winter heating season ahead of us..

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

This is getting interesting

THX has a good point, but if you are knowledgable about this, I am missing the boat and need to be in the windy city

Truth being though you can make great money if you have an algorithm that is better suited TOWARDS TRENDS than choppy markets.. when my ES and YM programs are finished, you can bet I am going right for the eurodollar futures/or whichever combination is available, I know one is that has good liquidity

im interested in hearing examples though of more of this, because I think you can make a boatload in historical trending markets

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Truth being though you can make great money if you have an algorithm that is better suited TOWARDS TRENDS than choppy markets..

The slope of the advancing stock market trend looks like it changed last week if you look at weekly candles. Monthly candles still could continue their pattern undisturbed.

I lost too many of my short term indicators to know what is going to happen next week. The strong .5 Fibonacci recovery in stocks is the primary technical I noticed. Do you think we will get .618 or .764 Tuesday?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I dont really believe in FIB honestly, I think I have said that before, usually to me that correlates with a prevailing simple horizontal support or resistance.. but perhaps it is all intertwined.. thats one of the markets great mysteries in my mind and I think I could write a thesis on that subject alone

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Some technical traders like to use Fib numbers for defining sort of runic support and resistance levels. If it gets a large group of disconnected traders all on the same page why not use Fibs as a guide?

You have to admit that the precise recovery of .5 was an intentional Fib signal at the close Friday.

What is your call for next week in stocks? I'm sure you will have a better idea after Asia opens tomorrow.

Edit:

I'm watching the Hang Seng tonight, it should close just above 20500 if my Fib theory holds. Any suggestions on triple Bull ETF's that respond fairly quickly? When I sold my FAS on Friday I only got a little over 2% its a real dog sometimes? maybe S&P or Nasdaq ETF's would be better?

[edit on 6-9-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well I think Friday was a good indicator of what happens after those doji moves on the 20 EMA..

To me this signals we break a new high for the year this week

I do not think based on friday we revert right back to the 20 EMA but gain much momentum from our DOJI's and the velocity we came back off of them..

If i was playing weekly furutures options I would be loading up longs on friday afternoon right at the close

[edit on 6-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Also, like I said, I cant really argue against FIB's.. I can just prefer not to use them or I think they parallel S/R's.. so maybe they are intertwined.. that is a subject of great debate and that topic alone could use its own sub-forum lol

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate

Phi = 1 - 2 cos ( 3 Pi / 5)

Anyone who solves the equation

Phi = 2 cos ( x * Pi / 5)

gets a job at the Chicago desk and $1 million bonus.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

I believe all answers lead to the rabbit hole of C20 H25 N3 O

See you in wonderland

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

is X in radians or degrees?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Most U.S. airlines report traffic declines in August

Most major U.S. airlines reported another month of declining traffic in August as rising unemployment hurt leisure demand and corporate cost cuts continued to hamper business travel.

Seven of the nine largest U.S. carriers reported a drop in traffic in August, except Southwest Airlines and JetBlue Airways Corp.

Iceland falls deeper into recession

Iceland's economy shrank by 2.0 percent in the second quarter of 2009 compared to 6.5 percent for the same period the previous year, official data published on Friday showed.

"In real terms, seasonally adjusted GDP in the 2nd quarter of 2009 decreased by 2.0 percent from the previous quarter," Statistics Iceland said in a statement.

Germany : Fall of 10.6% in business revenues

French deficit doubles in July

Unemployment rises again in Spain after three months of falls

London G20 meeting rejects plan to cap bankers’ bonuses
What a surprise...NOT.

Video, Pete Stark Blows Up Over National Debt

At least one good news...that piece of garbage Van Green resigned...but one bad news, Obama will ``write his own`` health care bill...now the president is the legislature? IMO this bill is gonna be even worse, most of the time when they rewrite legislation, it's worse.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
reply to post by stander

is X in radians or degrees?

Neither. X is a real number -- it is a coefficient of pi.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

You know what my friend it doesn't surprise me at all, remember when the mortgage bubble crashed and nobody until then knew that China was up to their neck on mortgage investments?.

They actually lost a lot of money because many of the investors in China didn't even knew that their money was involved in the US mortgage fiasco.

Well I don't know about you but . . . Is pay back time China is getting even.

And they do not feel guilty at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well people the dirty rats that were scattered by congress after been told that "they were better death" for contributing with deceptions and corruption to the down fall of the markets and the mortgage bubble are back doing the same corruption and this time nobody cares.

After all with all the rewards given to the elites ruling the markets and financial, I guess corruption is synonym of rewards.

Profiteers Return to Financial Sector

Executives from bailed out banks were brought into the halls of Congress and admonished by politicians from both sides – Senator Chuck Grassley infamously told executives at AIG that they might be better off dead.

While few agree with the intensity of the Senator’s comments, most Americans were simply put off by what they saw as a market gone wrong. Individuals garnered millions of dollars in personal wealth, corporations grossed billions of dollars in revenue, and after the gains were destroyed during the collapse of share prices those at the top held on to everything.

Workers were laid-off, corporations were bailed out, and executives got off without a hitch.

Steven Pearlstein of The Washington Post highlighted a handful of these executives in his column on September 2. He points out that Jay Levine, one of the bankers responsible for running RBS Greenwich into the ground, is back in business selling securitized mortgages for more than they are worth. He highlights that Levine was able to make tens of millions in personal wealth and keep it all after the financial economy crashed.

“Like golfers who treat themselves to a second drive after hooking the first one deep into the woods, these guys play on without apology or penalty. The maddening thing is that they're getting away with it and nobody seems to care.”

They are back and ready to cash on the ignorance of the American tax payer and the oversight of the corrupted congress.

What a disgrace.

www.economyincrisis.org...

www.washingtonpost.com... 

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

All the needles that burst the mortgage bubble are still threaded and available to stitch together another bubble. The grab for power cost money, and the politicians need the bubble makers' contribution to get their corrupted asses to the high offices, so there is a little chance that laws curbing reckless speculation techniques will ever see the light of day.
www.news.cornell.edu...

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

My dear stander, you are so right is not funny, star for you my friend, I guess nothing will be fix in this nation with the current system we got right now be in the Markets or the government.

Sad but I guess only the savvies can win amid the corruption.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I am the victim of a trick that even the sleaziest used car dealer would find repulsive to use. Beware of dishonest prospective employers.

The unemployment figure grows higher and when I saw that there was an employment opportunity at what some call the "Chicago desk," I thought that I could apply for that well-paid job together with another one hundred thousand or so job seekers. See, the prospectus said that you can make it to the interview after you email in the answer to What comes after 9 . . .?

Lots of guys screamed in unabridged joy seeing the question, coz after 9 comes 10; they all saw themselves sitting at the interview increasing their chances of getting hired. But they didn't make it anywhere, coz they didn't get suspicious about the triviality of the question. I did, and so I emailed the boys at the Chicago desk that I could answer only after they complete the question. And guess what? I got emailed back with the date of my interview.

And so I polished my shoes, brushed my teeth and flew to Chicago.

I got so nervous facing these talented algorithm makers. They sensed it and so they opened up on me with poorly faked re-assuring smile. One of them handed me the completed question written on a piece of paper: What comes after 9 months of pregnancy?

I froze at the sight of another triviality, but my head was paralyzed by inferiority, and so I could only muster a trivial answer: After 9 months of pregnancy comes a birth.

That guy who handed me the question look at my answer and said "duh" with a well-practiced smile. Then he said, "Are you ready for a little bit tougher follow up?"

I didn't know how to word my answer with enough faked confidence, and so I just said yes.

This time the question was verbal; he asked me who was born after that 9 months of pregnancy.

I didn't even request the repetition of the question; I heard it right. My trip to Chicago was a waste of time and shoe polishing cream as well. But then, I postponed answering the impossible question by raising a condition. "The answer depends on the date of the birth," I said.

That guy who was in charge of asking questions seemed to be amused in some peculiar way by me not walking out. Then he said half to himself: "I don't like losers either." Then he looked at me and said, "Okay, if you think that the answer would come easier that way, then the birth took place on September 4, 2009. You got one minute to answer the question," he added.

But I didn't need that much time. "The name of the child born on that day is Damien. Out of a dog he was born," I replied.

"What makes you think so?" asked the guy on the left who never said anything before.

"I saw the birth," I said, and handed him a printout:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8c489c7802e.jpg[/atsimg]

The guy who headed the job interview rose from his chair and said to me, "Come with me. I show you where you start working tomorrow." We took the elevator to one of the higher floors of the building. He opened a door to an office and pointed toward the desk.
www.nocaptionneeded.com...
"I usually show up before eight and as you see I'm kind of a messy guy. Do you think you can manage to clean my mess before taking care of the other offices?" he asked.

I just couldn't believe it! All the time, from the very beginning, I was under irreversible impression that I had applied for the job of a junior apprentice oil trader! But since the unemployment is high, I did take the janitorial position at the "Chicago desk."

As far as Damien is concerned, he grows fast . . .
www.best-horror-movies.com...
I shall protect thee.

new topics

top topics

<< 511  512  513    515  516  517 >>

join