It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 512
<< 509  510  511    513  514  515 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
Would this before-noon projection be overly optimistic?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/408bc37ca765.jpg[/atsimg]

Are you kidding me? With the jobless figure making 26 years high?

Okay, so it's the bottom point of the day that sets the end-point lower limit

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/88ab7f05fbde.jpg[/atsimg]

But I wouldn't discard completely the initial projection . . .

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Thats funny! but those are good examples of problems that get simplified by simply moving decimal places and visualizing. Figuring out that they are talking about a cube probably does disqualify more applicants than you think. Seeing 8 corners with 3 faces and 96 cubes with 2 faces quickly is even tougher.

Anybody that can solve these problems in under 6 seconds are not human, they would have to be aliens from Andromeda.

Personally I'm going with the 50% retracement rule for today The Dow has dropped from about 9660 down to 9260.

OK so the high on August 28 was 9630 not 9660

[edit on 4-9-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Unemployment Hits 26-Year High: This Is a "Recovery"?

The "good" news about lower-than-expected job cuts is further weighed down by revisions to June and July figures. The Labor Department now says the U.S. lost an additional 49,000 jobs in June and July.

"So in fact we're in a worse situation than people thought we were…slightly," says Justin Fox, the economics reporter for Time and author of 'The Myth of the Rational Market'.

finance.yahoo.com.../

the markets no longer follow reality. period.

Gold is rising to the cost of inflation and it will keep rising.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This little news blip just hit and forewarns of a possible oil shortage in the coming months

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Supertanker owners may start refusing cargoes within the next three months unless rates return to a profitable level, said Frontline Ltd., the biggest operator of the ships which carry almost half the world’s oil.

Ship owners are contributing $942 a day toward fuel costs to ship Middle East crude, according to the London-based Baltic Exchange. Rates have been below operating costs since July. Should the losses persist, some owners may choose to idle their ships, according to Jens Martin Jensen, Singapore-based chief executive officer of Frontline’s management unit.
Source

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Indeed, I am starting to come to the conclusion and this is my conspirators mind here that somebody is making very good profits with the bad news in the nation, specially those that refer to the demise of America work force and tax payer.

Call me crazy, but what else can explain bad news making the markets rally.

Either that or is a bottomless influx of funds been funneled everytime we get bad news about the economy.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
CNBC - Gold could hit above $1500

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Like I said before this post, this can not be good, how can somebody cash in Americas demise?

How long can this last? until this nation have nothing left to bargain with?

Something is definitely not right.

People are becoming a burden to an already burdened government, states are running on empty and borrowing just like the Fed does to keep unemployment benefits going.

And the markets rally on this?.

I am losing my mind?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Who is pushing the gold prices? we most look at what country have the biggest supply of gold.

That will tell the story and perhaps we may understand the deceptions.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You're crazy...

Actually thank-you all for contributing to this thread. I read it all the time but don't contribute as I am too ignorant of the markets. (but I learn a lot)

Just couldn't pass up calling Marg crazy

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Marge, you are not losing your mind.

Someone doesn't need nation and state any more, that's probably it.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thanks people, you know I have always been known from been open minded in a crazy but reasonable kind of way.
I hink.

I thought I understood what is going in the nation, with the economy the Markets the bailout, consequences the unemployment.

But darn this rally today is driving me crazy I think I am losing my reasonable but crazy mind and I am turning into nothing but a crazy conspirator

Where is Stander when marg need him.
I need my pills.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Very astute, as our economy goes into further decline we print more money in a desperate attempt to stimulate it back into life, and that makes our currency worthless. Those that are hording gold and waiting for the apocalypse may be in for a surprise though, if the rest of us are all bartering chickens and no longer value precious metals.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Not necessarily who, but what...
Could it be a combination of actual inflation as well as the threat of China dumping the dollar soon?

*shrug*

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Right now, Warren I don't know what to think anymore, everything is so wrong, wrong and more wrong.

China did buy a lot of gold recently as you have read in the few last post, something is been manipulated with indignity.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ya know, IMF just approved 500 million to Zimbabwe.
Maybe poor USA will also get some, when the hyperinflation hits...
Let's pray

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Only half a billion? I guess they have the right to buy gold also.

We know where the money goes in countries like Zimbabwe, on the hands of those in upper castes.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

People are becoming a burden to an already burdened government, states are running on empty and borrowing just like the Fed does to keep unemployment benefits going.

And the markets rally on this?.

Of course not. Don't you read the educated comments that illuminate all the reasons why market is heading for the Penthouse of Wonders?

Stocks rallied to the finish line Friday as tech stocks surged after some encouraging comments from Intel's CEO.

You would expect that Intel stock must have done exceptionally well today when Intel's suit #1 led the heroic charge of the US market cavalry, but 16 Dow Jones companies outperformed Intel. That's why the encouraging words never made it into the quotation marks.

We must find other reason -- I mean, a rational reason.

Investors breathed a sigh of a relief after the August jobs report, which showed the unemployment rate hit a 26-year high.

www.cnbc.com...

See . . .
There is always an explanation for everything.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Strange, but true...

-216K losses was a improvement over past months and was the number looked at...

NOT the revisions in June/July that went up...after all, the past, is the past, and the market is forward looking...

To bad that -216K will be higher also in the future, just like June/July's , today... :shk:

A controlled release of the "facts" is the new policy eh?

And yer *charting* today...come on...way to low...you failed to see it...

Mr Goldman never had any worries though...

And lest we forget...FDIC Friday!!!

Failed Bank List
www.fdic.gov...

Vantus Bank Sioux City IA 27732 September 4, 2009

The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $168 million.

InBank Oak Forest IL 20203 September 4, 2009

The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $66 million.

First Bank of Kansas City Kansas City MO 25231 September 4, 2009

The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $6 million.

Lots of 6's today...
only $240M ? Where's Corus ?

G20 rift opens on banking reform
www.ft.com...

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Stander you know that the real unemployment figures will never make to the media and neither will be in the consideration of the government You know what is going on, and no matter what the tech is doing that is not enough to drive the markets on rally.

But hey that is enough for you I understand but to tell you the truth is stinks to high hell and big death rat.

More and more this is starting look for what it is manipulations and deceptions.

Either that or I am truly going nuts.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Critically Underfunded Unemployment Insurance Plans
globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com...

Unemployment Insurance Buckles After Years of Underfunding
www.propublica.org...

US families turn to food stamps as wages drop
www.ft.com...

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Hx3_1963]

new topics

top topics