It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 243
<< 240  241  242    244  245  246 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
obama... come on dogg...

pretty weak for supposedly a positive speech coming into this..

lets get big ben back on tv to steer this market green~~

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Agreed. But don't you mean 'black'? Financial are either 'in the red' or 'in the black', right?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Probably depends on the color of the sky on your own planet that day,right?

LOVE your avatar,it's cool and creative!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Some food for thought. On www.pragcap.com the blogger says that the last time GS offered a share sale was right before the market tanked at 123 dollars/share. Perhaps insinuating that the people at GS are seeking to sell their shares high as they did last time in September.

To be more clear. GS may believe that the market will tank again.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Dendreon stock triples on cancer vaccine.

Wish I could have called that one.

Dow 7,908.63 -149.18 (-1.85%)
S&P 500 840.72 -18.01 (-2.10%)
Nasdaq 1,620.39 -32.92 (-1.99%)
10y bond 2.79% -0.03 (-1.06%)

Celente calls for "Revolution" as the only solution.

"Nothing short of total repudiation of our entrenched systems can rescue America," said Celente. "We are under the control of a two-headed, one party political system. Wall Street controls our financial lives; the media manipulates our minds. These systems cannot be changed from within. There is no alternative. Without a revolution, these institutions will bankrupt the country, keep fighting failed wars, start new ones, and hold us in perpetual intellectual subjugation."

*SNIP*

But Celente's Revolution need not degenerate into violence or open warfare.
"Intellectual Revolution"

"I am calling for an 'Intellectual Revolution'. I ask American citizens to free their minds from the tyranny of 'Dumb Think.' This is a revolution about thinking - not manning the barricades. It's about brain power - not brute force."

*SNIP*

"The 'Intellectual Revolution' must be waged on the battlefield of the mind," said Celente. "Americans are doomed unless they kick the junk news habit, deprogram themselves from celebrity worship, refuse to blindly follow political leaders and question all ideological dogmas ... especially their own.

"For the revolution to succeed, people must repudiate the one-headed, two party system, and learn to think for themselves," said Celente.

While the corporate-owned mainstream media and the government still control the broad avenues of news and information, only willing and lazy minds need be held hostage to it. The Internet world is awash in data, facts, analyses and opinions (independent and mainstream) for all to access and assess.

THINK FOR YOURSELF. THE "INTELLECTUAL REVOLUTION" HAS BEGUN.
Trend Call-to-Action: What can you do? Participating in an April 15th tax protest may be your cup of tea. Pester your politicians. Make your voice heard, your discontent felt and your solutions known. Band with others who share similar objectives and common goals.

More at link. Anybody here actually expecting an intellectual revolution?

[edit on 14-4-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

I like this Calente guy I think like him, we do need a revolution but one without the violence that will be the driven force for the powers within out "for the people's government to used against us", nothing is going to change until we say enough is enough.

The way the markets has been dealt with by the Bush administration and now Obama is the wrong way, is the parties involved way and with all the people been appointed to positions of powers by the present administration they are nothing but the cementing of Wall street power hold of government, not that they has been doing this for years, but now is open the shadow government have no need to hide anymore.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

The Federal Reserve bought $7.3billion of securities from the more than $26billion offered to them. The preponderance of the purchases were in the 5 year note issued in January and the 5 year note issued in February.

Source

and

The level of activity in the Treasury market today is significantly greater than that which was observed yesterday.

Momentarily the Federal Reserve will purchase the 4 year through 7 year sector. They have excluded the current 5 year note from the list. One salesman suggested that it is off the list today as it trades at zero in RP and a Desk purchase would only exacerbate the tightness in RP.

Participants report leveraged clients buying the 5 year and the 10 year. Real money has been selling the 2 year.

The Federal Reserve purchase yesterday tightened the old 3 year note and there has been active selling of that issue in favor of the on the run 3 year note.

Source

• Annual Retail Sales Contraction Remains at Post-World War II Era Lows
• “Core” March Retail Sales Down 1.4%
• PPI Takes Energy Cost Hit Despite Rising Oil Prices

Source

PPI was down 3.5% YOY in March, the largest such drop since January 1950.

Nathan's Economic Edge Morning Update

Mr. President, Open The Other Eye!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I wanted to add more on this news, one more sign of how Wall street has taken hold littler by littler for positions of power within the Obama administration.

Now a days is not such things as failure, fraught and mismanagement when it comes from this formers or to be formers CEOs.

Obama is now going to pay with tax payer his own lobbyist to be a salesman in behave of the financial in our nations.

The irony,

Allison’s most important job may be that of a salesman. He will need to sell both a skeptical Congress and an American public fraught with bailout fatigue on the idea that the banking industry still needs additional help.

www.bloomberg.com...

I wonder is anybody lobbying for the tax payer anymore in our nation?

[edit on 14-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Today President Obama delivered a speech that, on balance, was far better than many we have heard before on the economy and markets:

This recession was not caused by a normal downturn in the business cycle. It was caused by a perfect storm of irresponsibility and poor decision-making that stretched from Wall Street to Washington to Main Street.

From your source link redhatty.

Why I wonder is why if Mr. Obama knows this, he keeps running the government while appointing the same trash behind the irresponsibility and poor decision-making, is this the way to fix the economic problem?

Or to keep the failure and irresponsibility running rampant.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Still thinking I was reading something into that chart this early morning?

Or are you starting to realize that you need to learn a lot more before you really start playing "The Stock Market Game"???

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Who was asking about state tax revenues?

Q4 2008 Adjusted State And Local Tax Revenue Drops To 1959 Levels

Go to the site for the graphs

State tax collections for the fourth quarter of 2008 declined by 4 percent from the same quarter a year earlier, according to a new report by the Rockefeller Institute of Government. After adjusting for inflation, combined state and local sales tax revenue declined more in October-December 2008 than in any quarter since 1959. Early figures for state tax revenues in the first quarter of 2009 show an overall decline of more than 12 percent compared to a year earlier, a further dramatic worsening of fiscal conditions nationwide.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Good question.

Another one: Where is ANY news of the "shovel ready" jobs that the Omnibus Spending Bill was supposed to fund?

Where is the growth of even ONE clean energy company that is creating jobs?

Why is there still nothing happening to repair our infrastructure & create jobs?

Is it all smoke and mirrors as they continue to loot the Treasury on the way out the back door?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

No wonder now while the feds are easing the tax burden with Obamas cut is to make room for the gouging that now is going to come from the sates, they have to get revenue from somewhere, the more the Federal government tighten the funding for states programs the more money has to be scraped from somewhere else.

Like I said before a while back, now my husband retirement is to become a target here in GA.

How US government is trying to inflate the bubble with the same approach that cause the bubble to burst in the first place

The White House is trying to re-inflate the burst bubble, and it has been attempting to do so for well over a year – this includes both the Bush and Obama administrations. Instead of addressing economic fundamentals, girding itself up for tough times, and pushing for fiscal responsibility, the government prefers coaxing us into a false sense of security by artificially inflating the economy.

If millions of Americans do refinance their homes it will definitely give them more cash on hand – assuming of course that banks stop hoarding their government bailouts and allow people to actually borrow money again. Nonetheless, it will not help our economy one iota unless something is done about the lack of production in this country. If millions of Americans continue using that money to buy goods predominantly from overseas, we will find ourselves back in the same situation.

The government needs to give direct stimulus to American producers, instead of the banks, and direct Americans to buy the goods put out by American workers. That is true economic stimulus, and it will lead to recovery. Anything else is just more wasted effort.

www.economyincrisis.org...

Still with the unemployment rates getting higher people are finding themselves with not money to pay back even if their homes interest rates goes lower so they can refinance.

And for what we have learned by experiences including my husband and I the refinancing is not a consumer friendly as the present administration is trying to show.

President Obama urged millions of Americans to begin refinancing their home mortgages during an address on April 9. The President believes that the ability to refinance at a lower rate is the silver lining of the economic downturn.

"We are at a time where people can really take advantage of this," Obama said.

Incredible, let just inflate the bubble and forget how we got where we are at right now.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
GS Yesterday on CNN said that the pleasant surprise in profits came from hard work and returns from "Fixed Income" products/services/whatever. I found that funny. While it came from the same office of GS, no one from GS mentioned the special trades from AIG. But many trading sites, independent news, and well .. everyone but the folks at MSM did..

Today on Bloomberg:

David Viniar, Goldman Sachs Group Inc.’s chief financial officer, said he’s “mystified” by the interest investors and government officials have shown in the bank’s trading relationship with American Insurance Group Inc.

“They’re one of thousands and thousands and thousands of counterparties and the results of any trading with AIG are completely immaterial to what we do,” Viniar said today in an interview. “I am mystified by this fascination with AIG.”

He just doesn't understand why people are keeping tabs on his bank...

Viniar told analysts today that any profits related to AIG in the January-to-March quarter “rounded to zero,” as most of the transactions were unwound before the end of the year. In an interview, he also said profits in December weren’t significant.

“I would never tell you that we didn’t book any profit, I don’t even know,” he said. “I couldn’t tell you with any counterparty that we booked zero, but I could tell you it rounded to zero.”

He is a horrible liar, a fraud, a cheat, and he deserves to do time in Federal Prison. It is a crime to lie about where a publicly traded company receives income.. "Cooking the books" I believe it's called.

EDIT: If you look between his words you will see he is admitting that 100% of the "Profit" originated in March, over 30days he brought the 5th largest bank from huge losses to massive profit... all from fixed income. (cds). Honestly, what a dumbass. He lies about AIG, and in the lie, because it's the truth, he let slip in between the words:

AIG through CDS payments funneled money from the Taxpayer to GS to deliver a one time profit.

Forgot my link.. www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 4/14/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I was visiting with a friend this morning, one of the multitude who is now unemployed and over qualified for jobs (fast food) that are available.

She has been trying to find some subsidized housing out here in New Orleans.

You would think, with the population reduction POST Katrina that there might actually be something available, but you'd think wrong.

Strangely though - there are many programs opening up for people with disabilities.

She literally was told by a program worker that she needs to go apply for disability, even if just severe depression to get in the programs.

She is NOT disabled nor is she depressed, and is struggling with the morals over should she scam the system to stay solvent or not.

Not only is fraud still rampant, they are encouraging more of it.

And Bernanke just keeps going on and on and on. We need.....

WE NEED PROSECUTION OF THOSE WHO ARE BEHIND THE FRAUD, AND TO STOP MORE FROM HAPPENING

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

That is the one million new jobs question

I have been trying to figure that one out for a while, still it seems that the goals of the new administration has been swallowed by the increasing hunger of the financial in the nation.

Americans Living in a Fool's Paradise

Billionaire investor George Soros told Yahoo! Finance that the current economic crisis is bigger that the crisis faced in the 1930s and it is sure to have lasting effects on the standard of living for Americans.

“There is no way to go back to where we came from because we were living in a fools paradise …. We were accumulating debts. We were consuming six-and-a-half percent more than we were producing,” he said.

He said that goes for both the federal government and the average taxpayer. The current national debt is estimated to be over $11 trillion and expected to climb even higher as the government tries to spend its way out of recession. As individuals, Soros says, we have done just as poorly. He points out that in the past decade the savings rate among Americans actually went negative at one point.

www.economyincrisis.org...

Rather than investing in new jobs we are investing into debt to get out of the recession.

For eight years the bush administration spend a lot of time telling America that we had a solid economy and that our nations was just fine.

Now the Obama administration is telling us that the way to get off the financial crisis is spending the nation into oblivion.

The more money that is put into the economy so the tax payer have more money to spend in the economy two thirds of that money ends over sea, the benefits to our economy almost none..

Right now without job grow can not be economic grow, and even if we have jobs the economic grow will be to benefit our trading partners.

The problems facing our nation and the consumer is so big and more complicated that the Obama administration can deal with.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

That is what they have been doing for years, I believe that AIG was caught back in 2002 for doing just that with their books, and guess what it was actually an investigation on this allegations and only recently somebody was prosecuted for.

But the biggest scam was actually been cooked under the table while the investigation was going on.

Nobody either wanted to touch the biggest problem because it was too big to bring it out during the election times or they just decided to let the AIG fall on their own butts eventually.

Still the tax payer has been forced to pay for their dirty mistakes that they very well know they were making as early as 2002.

I say my friend that the entire government our government should be prosecuted for allowing this type of scams that has gotten our nation to where is right now.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

That is very sad and here in neck of the woods we have plenty of over qualify people competing for lower income jobs.

this a very good example of how our nations is lowering the standards of living for the working class and the middle class, the middle class is almost gone.

The competition is fierce.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
OT but WOW, just wow

Anonymous comment on one of Obama's "Change" boards

Resign

Just quit... You're terrible

link to see it

Does it need more votes?

Bankruptcies surge despite law meant to curb them

The number of U.S. businesses and individuals declaring bankruptcy is rising with a vengeance amid the recession, despite a three-year-old federal law that made it much tougher for Americans to escape their debts, an Associated Press analysis found.

"There's no end in sight," said bankruptcy lawyer Bryan Elliott of Hickory, N.C., who is working seven days a week and scheduling prospective clients a month in advance. "To be doing this well and having this much business, it is depressing. It's not a laugh-a-minute job."

Nearly 1.2 million debtors filed for bankruptcy in the past 12 months, according to federal court records collected and analyzed by the AP. Last month, 130,831 sought bankruptcy protection - an increase of 46 percent over March 2008 and 81 percent over the same month in 2007.

Bob Lawless, a professor at the University of Illinois College of Law, said bankruptcies could reach 1.5 million this year and level off at 1.6 million next year - around the same time economists expect an economic recovery to begin.

Congress voted in 2005 to make bankruptcy more cumbersome after years of intense lobbying from the nation's lenders, who complained that people were abusing the system. Before the move to change the law, bankruptcies were running at what was then an all-time high of about 1.6 million per year.

The tighter requirements initially appeared to work, with bankruptcies plummeting from a record-shattering 2 million cases in 2005 - a total that reflected a rush to file before the new law took effect - to 600,000 in 2006. But now bankruptcies are booming again.

"You wouldn't get this large of a rise without serious problems in the economy," said Lynn LoPucki, a UCLA law professor who researches bankruptcy.

The bankruptcy rate is climbing as well. In the past 12 months, about four people or businesses for every 1,000 people in the country filed for bankruptcy, according to the AP analysis. That is twice the rate in 2006, and close to the average of about five for every 1,000 in the decade leading up to the change in the law.

Lawless said the shame of bankruptcy may have eased somewhat in recent years, but added, "It's still a very stigmatizing, traumatic event for most everyone who files."

Previous recessions also drove people to bankruptcy court, though those increases were more moderate. Bankruptcies went up 19 percent amid the economic contraction in 2001, and about 15 percent during the recession of the early 1980s, according to the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.

Bankruptcy is considered a lagging economic indicator, since it is generally a last resort. The filings compiled by the AP illustrate the places where the economic meltdown has hit hardest.

In March, bankruptcy filings jumped the highest across the West. In Arizona, filings rose 91 percent from a year ago. They were up 84 percent in Idaho, 82 percent in California and 79 percent in Nevada, though those were trumped by Delaware, home to many large corporations, which saw a 127 percent jump.

More at link

[edit on 4/14/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The U.S. Treasury awarded $22.00 billion in four-week bills at Tuesday's auction at a high rate of 0.080%.

The Treasury received bids totaling $89.66 billion and accepted $22.00 billion. The dollar price was 99.993778 and the investment rate, or bond-equivalent return, was 0.081%.

The bid-to-cover ratio, an indication of demand, was 4.08, Treasury said.

Tenders submitted at the high yield were allotted 55.39%.

The Federal Reserve purchased $3.78 billion in bills for its own account. When the auction was announced, the Fed held $3.78 billion of maturing bills. In Monday's auction the Fed didn't buy three- or six-month bills.

The bills awarded to the Federal Reserve are in addition to the public offering amount.

The median rate was 0.050%; that is, 50% of the amount of accepted competitive bids were tendered at or below that rate.

Of the competitive bids accepted, 5% were tendered at or below the rate of 0.000%.

The issue is dated April 16, 2009, and matures on May 14, 2009.

The CUSIP number on the four-week bill is 912795L82.

top topics

<< 240  241  242    244  245  246 >>

join