It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 245
<< 242  243  244    246  247  248 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Well I don't blame them, they are after all an investment institution and not a bank, so the restrictions on their bonuses and big CEOs pay is something that will hurt them in the long run.

Still they it was not need for them to receive tax payer money as they could ride the economic crisis wave after all.

The don't have anything to do with consumer loans or mortgage loans either.

If they pay the TARP funds The government will used them as an example that They are becoming solvent.

Still they can ask for more money after they pay indefinitely.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

1st report
LAYOFF DAILY
Wed 4-15-2009

Saab -700
Spokane Hospital -90
University of Washington -1,000
Avery Dennison Closing OH Plant -57
Lambuth University Can't Make Payroll
Clark County Schools -800
Yahoo Update -500
UBS Makes it Official -8,700
Air France-KLM -3,000
Linear Technology Corp. -130
T-Shirt International -94
Reed Business Information -7%
Raven Industries -29
Kawneer Closing -250
ArcelorMittal Update -80
Motorolla -667
LA Schools -5,400
Colorado College -11
Harrison Medical Center -91
Oregon City Schools -63
Vero Beach Schools -80+
Yahoo Cutting Hundreds

Some of these may be "updates" -
I would have to go back and check -
But as you can see - the numbers are big - already today.
I will post another tonight with a total.

Interesting web site -
www.paycuts.us...

[edit on 15-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Tomorrow is options expiration. Usually those Fridays fall hard, I wonder if this will happen tomorrow as well.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

This Donald Trump speaking. He said that banks are still not lending and that the only positive that is happening is that the stock market is going up, but he has no idea why it is going up.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

1st report
LAYOFF DAILY
Wed 4-15-2009

Some of these may be "updates" -
I would have to go back and check -
But as you can see - the numbers are big - already today.
I will post another tonight with a total.

I must follow the examplary move of the founding daddy Pause and report the good news as well to keep things
digitalstrategy.typepad.com...
balanced.
www.nowhiring.com...

Interesting web site -
www.paycuts.us...

photo.net...

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

A few Universities today. I think we're seeing the start of that "College Collapse" that Celente predicted. I actually live about a block away from a major State University in Metro Detroit (there's oodles of them in this area) and enrolment has fallen through the floor. Predictably, the University is going to try to recoup losses by raising tuition. During a deflationary period, in a metropolitan area of massive unemployment.

Colleges got swept up in the credit bubble, with tuition hikes outpacing inflation for god-knows how many years now. Looks like their gravy boat got jacked by pirates.

3:01 pm:

Dow 7,930.85 +10.67 (0.13%)
S&P 500 840.63 -0.87 (-0.10%)
Nasdaq 1,604.18 -21.54 (-1.32%)
10y bond 2.76% -0.01 (-0.36%)

Gainers Change Mkt Cap
OC Owens Corning 21.78% 1.72B
IP International Paper Compa... 17.45% 3.66B
AMR AMR Corporation 12.26% 1.32B
AREEP Alexandria Real Estate Eq... 11.72% 1.43B
HBAN Huntington Bancshares Inc... 11.20% 1.05B
Losers Change Mkt Cap
BKC Burger King Holdings, Inc... -18.34% 2.49B
RJF Raymond James Financial, ... -16.89% 1.94B
BTU Peabody Energy Corporatio... -14.08% 6.74B
OB OneBeacon Insurance Group... -10.63% 1.04B
ARD Arena Resources, Inc. -10.12% 1.03B

Burger King is plunging!

Market Ticker -- Richard Posner: Bite Me.

Mish says: Goodbye to the Rally?

[edit on 15-4-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Goldman has sold $5billion in stock in saying it is thier "duty" to repay TARP funds. Maily, they are doing to this to get out from under the govenment restrictions.

Goldman Sachs is just so "lucky"! A conspiracy theorist might think this run of fortune has something to do with the former Goldman executives having influential roles in the Treasury Department.

As soon as the dust settles the other tarp recipients will do the same.

I do have a question though. Since most of you and many bear side analysts believe the tarp is highly inflationary, does the banks paying back the goverment serve to cause deflation?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ben, did you check Taurus with a magnifying glass?

No.

Then you better do. See something?

lowestoftspiritualcentre.co.uk...

Oh, yes. Indeed.

WASHINGTON – The Federal Reserve said Wednesday there are some faint signs the steep plunge in economic activity that began last fall is starting to level off.

news.yahoo.com...

Faint signs require a faint response:
moneycentral.msn.com...$COMPX

Like up 1.08 points or 0.07% gain, whichever is fainter.

[edit on 4/15/2009 by stander]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

Re the universities: a very interesting angle on the current crisis. Very thought-provoking. Considering the best way out of an economic brick wall is medium-to-long-term investment, whether in terms of technical R&D or human resources, a drop-off in university enrollments is the last thing you want to see. If only the hundreds of billions had gone into meaningful national investments such as the subsidizing of hard-strapped students and cutting-edge science departments instead of being magicked away to who-knows-where maybe there would be a glow of hope on the horizon.

As for the Market Ticker article, it's pretty blood-curdling:

...Bluntly, this was willful blindness and it certainly appears that the blindness was fueled by outright bribery in the thin disguise of "campaign contributions" within and through our political process. By the first quarter of 2007 there was absolutely no doubt that the accounting of many (if not all) of these institutions was cooked.

None.

...I've been there and seen that. The entirety of the 2000-03 "Tech Wreck" was similarly caused by "aggressive" (and in my opinion unlawful and fraudulent) accounting that led investors to believe that firms in fact had a much better financial position and prospects than in fact existed. Most of the tech years' "optimism" was in fact fueled by knowing lies about claimed rates and projections of growth - claims that were mathematically impossible. Yet when this mathematical impossibility came to the forefront in the form of thousands of bankruptcies and the decimation of people's stock portfolios only a handful of people went to prison for their intentional acts of deceit and mathematically-impossible claims - the very essence of what was a massive, thousands-of-firm-wide Ponzi Scheme.

Yet less than ten years later we let it happen again, this time throughout the economy in essentially every area of finance from housing to commercial construction to credit cards to student loans to automobiles.

Basically, if you're not an insider, you've been had.

Period.

reply to post by stander

...to keep things
digitalstrategy.typepad.com...
balanced.

The entire system has now reached a state of balanced equilibrium

WASHINGTON – The Federal Reserve said Wednesday there are some faint signs the steep plunge in economic activity that began last fall is starting to level off.

I think we're talking Hubble telescope. As in edge of the detectable universe...

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by theWCH

A few Universities today. I think we're seeing the start of that "College Collapse" that Celente predicted. I actually live about a block away from a major State University in Metro Detroit (there's oodles of them in this area) and enrolment has fallen through the floor. Predictably, the University is going to try to recoup losses by raising tuition. During a deflationary period, in a metropolitan area of massive unemployment.

Colleges got swept up in the credit bubble, with tuition hikes outpacing inflation for god-knows how many years now. Looks like their gravy boat got jacked by pirates.

3:01 pm:

Dow 7,930.85 +10.67 (0.13%)
S&P 500 840.63 -0.87 (-0.10%)
Nasdaq 1,604.18 -21.54 (-1.32%)
10y bond 2.76% -0.01 (-0.36%)

Gainers Change Mkt Cap
OC Owens Corning 21.78% 1.72B
IP International Paper Compa... 17.45% 3.66B
AMR AMR Corporation 12.26% 1.32B
AREEP Alexandria Real Estate Eq... 11.72% 1.43B
HBAN Huntington Bancshares Inc... 11.20% 1.05B
Losers Change Mkt Cap
BKC Burger King Holdings, Inc... -18.34% 2.49B
RJF Raymond James Financial, ... -16.89% 1.94B
BTU Peabody Energy Corporatio... -14.08% 6.74B
OB OneBeacon Insurance Group... -10.63% 1.04B
ARD Arena Resources, Inc. -10.12% 1.03B

Burger King is plunging!

Market Ticker -- Richard Posner: Bite Me.

Mish says: Goodbye to the Rally?

[edit on 15-4-2009 by theWCH]

I live in Florida and just read that Florida State is hacking about 20 programs...yes 20 and cutting funding to other larger programs like nursing and law. University of Florida is doing the same thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The US is in deep trouble. Obama making a speech saying that everything is gonna be alright was just hilarious. It was lie after lie after lie.

If you know LEAP2020 a think tank who predicted all this and is making their analysis of the coming months is saying a few things: (i'm translating from french because the new report is only avaiable in french for now)

- China is doing everything it can to get out of the US dollar, which they consider toxic, by various means and wants to be out of there by the end of THIS summer.
- The UK and US are on their side, Russia, China, Brazil and India are on their side and the europeans don't know which side to take, to form a new economic order.
- If no major good action is taken in the next 5-6 months, it's over, we're gonna go in deep deep deep depression of 10 years and there will be great instability in the world, it will be everyone for himself, probably leading to WW3.
- The US will cease to pay their debtors by the end of summer 09.
- April will show (and already showing) the big problem of spending (+41%) VS income (-28%) of the federal government.

Not really news to us... but eh. I made the decision in february to be ready for Argentina-style collapse by September 1, 2009. As soon as I finish university, in 2 weeks, i'm going full steam ahead with those preparations.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I don't blame them at least all those countries but China, China has been detrimental in the down fall of the US economy.

No country in the world can count on the US for wealth producing, the only thing that the US is producing right now is debt, budgets deficits and overspending.

Without a wealth production the US has nothing that is attractive to any other country in the world, at least emerging countries.

As long as the US economic foundations are base on fake prosperity our dollar is worthless.

The United States has lost millions of jobs to foreign producers in the past several decades. Exacerbating the problem, we have lost thousands of companies to foreign dominance as well, along with dozens of entire industries.

www.economyincrisis.org...

Any country in the world knows very well that America has nothing to offer, or be squeezed from anymore but the mighty dollar and that right now is backed by the deck of cards about to collapse.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
So the final number for April 15 layoff is 25 584+ and more are coming...

More than 25k layoff in a day, that's quite something.

And something quite funny... China has no reason to stop buying US treasurys: Fed member

Yeah right.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Great pic - and love the hiring site. There are jobs to be had.
I think most people would prefer the jobs they already had -
but jobs to be had no less. : )
And like I have always maintained -
A painful road can yield some very good stuff -

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

LAYOFF DAILY
Wed 4-15-2009

Anheuser-Busch Closing Warehouse -80
Chesco Trucking -54
Kansas State Univ. Foundation -13
India's Biggest IT Company -3,000
Brown University -31 P
etro-Canada -200
St. Edward Mercy Health -64
Russell Investments -400
Saab -700
Spokane Hospital -90
University of Washington -1,000
Avery Dennison Closing OH Plant -57
Lambuth University Can't Make Payroll
Clark County Schools -800
Yahoo Update -500
UBS Makes it Official -8,700
Linear Technology Corp. -130
T-Shirt International -94
Reed Business Information -7%
Florida State U. Major Cuts
Raven Industries -29
Kawneer Closing -250
ArcelorMittal Update -80
Motorolla -667
Colorado College -11
Harrison Medical Center -91
Oregon City Schools -63
Vero Beach Schools -80+

TOTAL 22,700 est

I don't actually post these numbers to reveal the accurate numbers.
We can never know the real numbers - there are so many variables and the
official definition of "unemployed" is ify.

The biggest reason I post these is to get a general feel for the numbers... and
to give people an idea of where the layoffs are happening -
and which fields are being hit the hardest. I think it's important to know what is happening to our neighbors - statewide, countrywide - and worldwide.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by theWCH

Yep - schools everywhere begin hit hard.
and my concern is that most of the jobs available will be government made -
This would not be good in my opinion.
I hope we do not see this happen.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well I hope GBM and anyone else holding Citi get to unload it before Friday. It will probably start tanking tomorrow on this news

Analysts predict that the embattled bank will be one of only a few major financial institutions to record a net loss this quarter. Citigroup is scheduled to deliver its first-quarter results before Friday's opening bell.

According to current consensus estimates from Thomson Reuters, Wall Street is forecasting a loss of $1.39 billion, or 34 cents a share.

If Citigroup does post a loss, it would be the sixth consecutive quarter of red ink. The New York City-based bank has lost more than $28 billion since the credit markets began to unravel in late 2007.

Source

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
With all the doom in the air the stock market rallied. Nikkei was up like 240+ a while ago and the headline read - "stocks surge 3% on USA hopes." Now it's at like +46, and headline reads - "stocks retreat on China GDP news."

Where's my Dramamine, I'm getting motion sickness.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Now NIKKEI only up 8 points... Seriously, the situation is worsening by the day and the markets are rallying on cooked books. The whole economy is tanking, only the damn banks going up because they stole our money and put the money as profits... and let's not talk about the derivatives worth 50X++ the assets they own.

Banks should be brought down, then we restart. Doing stupid bailouts will only drag the recession for a couple of years, already 20 months in and nothing is solved, then we'll slide into a depression... What about we go NOW into a short depression of a few months by taking down the big banks, then we can start again in 6 months instead of dragging in for years... someone in the streets 6 months is better than someone in the streets for years, that's what gonna happen to those who ALREADY lost their homes, they won't find a job until we get out of this situation in a decade or more.

I'm living in Canada and I have a hard time understanding how they can close schools like that and close programs... I red they closed around 20 schools in detroit? What the hell? Are those private schools or there's just not enough people in these schools?

Predictably, the University is going to try to recoup losses by raising tuition. During a deflationary period, in a metropolitan area of massive unemployment.

Yep... that's really retarded.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Our school system was in shambles before the collapse began it has been for 2 decades. It's being hit extremely hard by the Depression.

As for the Stock Market going up, I too have absolutely no idea
why it is... there has been little to zero good news lately... I smell someone pulling the strings.

top topics

<< 242  243  244    246  247  248 >>

join