It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 246
<< 243  244  245    247  248  249 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Yep - schools everywhere begin hit hard.
and my concern is that most of the jobs available will be government made -
This would not be good in my opinion.
I hope we do not see this happen.

Sadly I might be government employed soon. I made a deal with my family if I can not find a job in 6 months I will apply to join the Texas National Guard.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Aren't you afraid you will be sent to Afghanistan? Or be used to impose martial law? If it happens, resist... by all means.

Now if Texas would seceed when that clown Perry is kicked out.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
A long drug out affair, but, *BLAM*...it's over now...

General Growth Properties Files for Bankruptcy
dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com...
www.reuters.com...
www.bloomberg.com...

Update | 4:29 a.m. General Growth Properties, one of the largest mall operators in the nation, filed for bankruptcy early Thursday morning in one of the biggest commercial real estate collapses in United States history.

Despite bargaining for months with its creditors, General Growth faced increasing pressure to handle its more than $25 billion in debt, largely in the form of short-term mortgages that will come due by next year. The company has been severely wounded by the recession, which has wreaked havoc upon the retailers who inhabit its more than 200 malls in 44 states. Many stores have shuttered, depriving mall operators like General Growth of revenue.

The filing by the Chicago-based company, made in federal bankruptcy court in Manhattan, included most of the company’s malls, which will continue to operate. General Growth’s reorganization efforts will likely focus on selling off properties. It has already suspended its stock dividend, cut its workforce by 20 percent and stopped virtually all new development.
More at Links...

U.S. foreclosure filings jump as moratoriums end
www.reuters.com...
finance.yahoo.com...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. foreclosure activity leaped 46 percent in March from a year earlier, hitting a record high as programs stunting the torrid pace of failing mortgages expired, RealtyTrac reported on Thursday.

A temporary freeze on foreclosures by major banks and government-controlled home finance companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ended before President Barack Obama's massive housing stimulus, unveiled on March 6, could take root.

Filings, which include notice of default, auction sale or bank repossession, jumped 17 percent in March from February. Filings for the quarter also marked a record high, jumping 24 percent from the same period a year ago.

OPEC sees 'devastating contraction' in oil demand
news.yahoo.com...

RBS and Lloyds staff to receive bonuses immediately
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Lets see how far this pushes the Market up Today...

[edit on 4/16/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
S&P 500 -2.50 846.00 4/16 5:18am
Fair Value 848.51 4/15 10:04pm
Difference* -2.51

NASDAQ -7.00 1310.00 4/16 4:32am
Fair Value 1315.13 4/15 10:04pm
Difference* -5.13

Dow Jones -29.00 7951.00 4/16 5:17am
===
FTSE 100 4,008.33 5:22AM ET Up 39.93 (1.01%)
CAC 40 2,997.71 5:37AM ET Up 11.97 (0.40%)
DAX 4,566.11 5:22AM ET Up 16.32 (0.36%)
===
Shanghai Composite 2,534.13 3:00AM ET Down 1.92 (0.08%)
Hang Seng 15,582.99 5:19AM ET Down 86.63 (0.55%)
Nikkei 225 8,755.26 3:00AM ET Up 12.30 (0.14%)
===
Gold $888.50

Trying to defuse the U.S. bank test bomb
www.reuters.com...

Moody's downgrades two synthetic CDOs
www.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Aren't you afraid you will be sent to Afghanistan? Or be used to impose martial law? If it happens, resist... by all means.

Now if Texas would seceed when that clown Perry is kicked out.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

I'm not afraid. I will abandon my post if they ask me to fire on American citizens.
Perry is actually a pretty loud voice for secession now. He made a great speech at the Austin Tea Party. I posted it in my Tea Party thread.

Which you guys need to look at! nudge nudge

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Those subservient NIKKEI clowns paid their respect to the discovery of "faint signs" of economic recovery found by relentlessly seeking Feds and called it a day by adding faint 12.3 points, or 0.14% to their index. The oil traders are different breed though. Just wait when "faint signs" upgrade to "signs." The gas prices would be climbing like Tarzan the coconut trees.

The Dow has entered the uneventful mode for about a month and will oscillate between 7.8k and 8.2k with 95% confidence. But the second half of May has a surprise in its sleeve . . .

~ ezekiel! ~

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Here's some more "funneling" from the masses...

White House Acts To Aid Hurting Homeowners
www.cbsnews.com...

(CBS/ AP) The Obama administration on Wednesday named the first six companies participating in a $75 billion program designed to help millions of struggling homeowners avoid foreclosure.

The administration said the companies - including some of the mortgage industry's biggest players - will receive a maximum of $9.9 billion in incentive payments, which are designed to encourage mortgage companies to lower borrowers' monthly bills. The government expects to finish arrangements with other companies in the coming months.

Chase Home Finance, part of JPMorgan Chase & Co., will receive up to $3.6 billion, the largest amount among the six companies. The other recipients are: Wells Fargo & Co., GMAC Mortgage Inc., Citigroup Inc.'s CitiMortgage unit, Select Portfolio Servicing and Saxon Mortgage Services Inc.
More at Link...

Notice "incentive payments" & "encourage"...bunch of carp...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

General Growth Properties Files for Bankruptcy

Couldn't help but see the irony in the title. (I'm not laughing, though.)

Thanks for the Reuters article. Talk about spelling it out plainly!

The latest government plan is to release some form of the results in May and experts say Washington needs to be able to offer a clear message about how it will deal with weaker banks without risking the collapse of those institutions.

"The problem is that by putting somebody's name out there as being weak, the likelihood of having a run (on a bank) is pretty substantial." said Gil Schwartz, a former lawyer at the Federal Reserve who now works in private practice.

(emphasis mine)

So if we knew the truth, the consequence would be...

But let's stay on message people: there are faint signs of recovery -

[edit on 16/4/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Talk about yer "Oxymoron's" huh???

More of the "better than expected, but, still bad" carp...

JPMorgan Profit Beats Estimates as Trading Revenue Increases
www.bloomberg.com...

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- JPMorgan Chase & Co., the second- largest U.S. bank by assets, reported profit for the first quarter that beat analysts’ estimates on record investment- banking revenue.

Earnings fell 10 percent to $2.14 billion, or 40 cents a share, compared with $2.37 billion, or 68 cents, a year earlier, the New York-based bank said today in a statement. Per-share profit was expected to be 32 cents, according to the average estimate of 18 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.

JPMorgan’s market value has almost doubled in the past month on speculation the bank’s profit slide will slow with the easing of the global credit crunch. Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon, 53, helped spark the rally when he said the company was profitable in January and February. Goldman Sachs Group Inc., the sixth-largest U.S. bank, reported earnings April 13 that were twice as high as analysts estimated.

And more troubling news...

SABMiller beer volumes dip as slowdown bites
www.reuters.com...
===
S&P 500 -0.40 848.10 4/16 6:37am
Fair Value 848.51 4/15 10:04pm
Difference* -0.41

NASDAQ +6.50 1323.50 4/16 6:31am
Fair Value 1315.13 4/15 10:04pm
Difference* +8.37

Dow Jones +1.00 7981.00 4/16 6:37am

And up they go...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I see you've gone all liberal on us. (*no guillotine*)

Man, you sold out.

FTSE 4008.76 +40.36 +1.02%

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
You know I have never seen Alice in Wonderland? Probably a good thing these days as we're living it and I dont want to go insane.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Amazing...

Lower opening seen for Wall Street
Investors shrug off JPMorgan Chase results, focus on economic reports.
money.cnn.com...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- U.S. stocks were headed for a lower opening Thursday - despite a better-than-expected earnings report from financial services firm JPMorgan Chase - ahead of a raft of economic reports.

At 7:10 a.m. ET, Dow Jones industrial average, Standard & Poor's 500 and Nasdaq 100 futures were lower. Futures lifted briefly after JPMorgan's earnings came out, but the gains didn't last.

Futures measure current index values against perceived future performance and give an indication of how stocks may open when trading begins in New York.
More at Link...as usual...

Looking for slightly higher UE numbers...

The weekly report on initial jobless claims is expected to total 658,000 in the week ended April 11, according to Briefing.com consensus. That would be nearly unchanged from the 654,000 in the prior week.

JPM (NYSE) Pre-Market $32.04 Change: -0.64 -1.96% Volume: 1,271,685

Dollar gains on euro and slips versus yen
Industrial production plunge weighs down single currency
&dist=TQP_Mo d_mktwN]MarketWatch

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
And here's some contemplation for ya...

Wells Fargo’s Profit Looks Too Good to Be True: Jonathan Weil
www.bloomberg.com...

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- Wells Fargo & Co. stunned the world last week by proclaiming it had just finished its most profitable quarter ever. This will go down as the moment when lots of investors decided it was safe again to place blind faith in a big bank’s earnings.

What sent Wells shares soaring on April 9 was a three-page press release in which the San Francisco-based bank said it expected to report first-quarter net income of about $3 billion. Wells disclosed few details of what was in that figure. And by pushing the stock up 32 percent that day to $19.61, investors sent a clear message: They didn’t care.

Dig below the surface of Wells’s numbers, though, and there are reasons to be wary. Here are four gimmicks to look out for when the company releases its first-quarter results on April 22:
More at Links...

Bernanke Frets as Variable Notes Strip Taxpayers in N.Y., Texas
www.bloomberg.com...

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- Houston’s deputy controller, James Moncur, figured last May the fourth-largest U.S. city escaped the unraveling credit markets by refinancing some of its $1.8 billion of auction-rate bonds.

Instead, Houston wound up paying 15 percent interest on the new securities, not the money-market rates city officials had anticipated. The so-called variable-rate demand notes backfired when investors fled the market in October, forcing the bank that had guaranteed the bonds, Brussels-based Dexia SA, to buy them.

“This was like round two of the great financial crisis of 2008,” Moncur, 56, said. “We were under the impression we had taken care of the problem.”

U.S. housing starts dive 10.8% in March to 510,000 pace; March permits at record low
&siteid=bnbh]MarketWatc h

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Glad to see you back Hx3...I think some of us "go and hide" when certain people begin their rather manical postings?

Yet another money maker:

money.cnn.com...

JP Morgan/Chase Earns 2.1 Billion

Waiting to see when the inevitable "credit card crunch" will hit but no doubt,there will be debt-relief in that arena as well.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Not sure if it's right for you but the San Antonio Police Dept. is actively accepting applications...hiring to begin later in May I believe.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

That is exactly what the first thing that makes me cringe while reading it, "incentives" AKA "rewards" from deceiving practices.

The tax payer is the one that needs those "incentives" at hand not those dirty and corrupted companies.

All they are doing is creating loopholes to avoid any real help to home owners.

Has somebody gotten a great deal on refinancing their homes yet? here in ATS? I know my husband and I have not, nothing but a scam and we are paying for it.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
- "stocks surge 3% on USA hopes." Now it's at like +46, and headline reads - "stocks retreat on China GDP news."

Where's my Dramamine, I'm getting motion sickness.

It seems that, that littler quote tells a big story and that story is about how in the US markets is nothing but hope, markets driven by hope and the willingness of investors to trust a better day in the future.

Most investors are in the business of making money not investing in hopes.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic

Not sure if it's right for you but the San Antonio Police Dept. is actively accepting applications...hiring to begin later in May I believe.

Thank you for the Information! I dont remember if you've looked at my Tea Party thread yet, man it has been a long night. Couldnt sleep I was so pumped from the party. Just about crashing now, think I'll wait till the stock market opens then goto sleep.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I wonder, do you have any skills that has to do with equipment, mechanical or equivalent? or a degree on engineering, even a military background?

Believe it or not the government contractors in the defense department are hiring and hiring good still with the economic crisis for now.

Our local base is hiring every week, jobs that pays very good.

You should go to any of the major contracting companies in defense and see what they have in the internet, even if that means relocation.

Still at least you are doing what you can and I congratulate you for trying and making a commitment, a job is a job and a way to feed a family no matter that is in the government.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
PARTY ANNOUNCEMENT

All are invited to the 5,000 Post Jamboree.

Don't come empty-handed. Bring an image.

(Show us what the current crisis represents & what it means to you.)

FTSE latest 4039.02 +70.62 +1.78

top topics

<< 243  244  245    247  248  249 >>

join